Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Expansion's never able to fit well

delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
Expansion's 
The age old problem that was never solved !! 

Adding 10 more levels for players that worked hard to get where they were. 

This never sat well with anyone, yet never a real solution.... Do you have any ? 
Gdemami

Comments

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    edited February 2018
    My only answer is expand vertically. 

-New starting zones, mid level and end game up to the "same" max level. 
    -New classes. 
    -No transfer of armor weapons or gold

Problem with this is, how do players blend together for people that don't buy them. However by adding 10 levels you have the same problem. 

This could mess with your head like thinking about time travel !
    Post edited by delete5230 on
    Gdemami
    edited February 2018
    World of Warcraft almost got it right.  They added new starting areas and classes up to level 20.  

Could you imagine if they always kept max level at 60.... Again, this could mess with your head !!
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Not sure why you consider it to be a problem that requires a solution? Expansions are mostly about adding new content/areas/classes, not many really add in an increase in terms of level caps and even then its just a side note than the real meat of the expansions. instead Expansions tend to be the solution to problems rather than one in themselves, they inject more content into a game that might be flagging, see GW2 and HoT for instance, it was desperately needed.
    As for that kind of thing not sitting well with anyone, why would you think that? i think most players are excited to have new content in their MMO's, and single player games too come to think of it, after all its not like expansions are limited to just the MMO genre. ;)
    Sovrath
    Phry said:
    Not sure why you consider it to be a problem that requires a solution? Expansions are mostly about adding new content/areas/classes, not many really add in an increase in terms of level caps and even then its just a side note than the real meat of the expansions. instead Expansions tend to be the solution to problems rather than one in themselves, they inject more content into a game that might be flagging, see GW2 and HoT for instance, it was desperately needed.
    As for that kind of thing not sitting well with anyone, why would you think that? i think most players are excited to have new content in their MMO's, and single player games too come to think of it, after all its not like expansions are limited to just the MMO genre. ;)

In my observation from post here.

People take their progress at end game seriously only to make it worthless by adding levels.

It gets far far worst as this happens several times in the same game. 
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    The problem is that if you want to increase the number of levels every 2 years you need to plan that when you start creating the base mechanics for the game, not a year after the last expansion.

If you make a game desiggned for 60 levels and increase that number the base mechanics takes a hit, and the more levels you add the worse the game mechanics become.

The first D&D came in boxes of levelranges and that worked fine, when your players came up to the levelcap of your current box you bought a new one and that worked fine since the mechanics were made for 20 levels from the start, they didn't just keep adding new levels as time passed.

If you plan from when you start making the game there is no problem but usually the devs just look on launchday when they are working on a MMO and that is a misstake. Currently MMO tend to get far worse after a couple of expansions, the mechanics feel broken, older zones of a certain levelrange becomes empty since newer zones of the same range gives better loot.

Another thing is that I don't get why MMOs need to have so many levels, now most releases with tons of them and add even more each expansion. Do 100 levels really make the game more fun then 20? Assume that getting to max level takes the exact same time, and that you with 20 levels actually get skill upgrades each level, not just some HPs most of them.

If I were to make a levelbased MMORPG I would create the game for 25 levels from the start, releasing the game with just 20 and add one each expansion. that last level would take as long time to reach as the 5-10 other games add. The game would be balanced and I would have rules of balancing items and classes up to lvl 25 before the game even launched.

I do think I would slow down the time to reach max level a bit as well to stop people getting into the endgame too fast (I don't have enough good ideas on how to make the endgame more fun then leveling up). Now it usually takes me at least 3 weeks to level up a character to max in most MMOs, 9 weeks would be far better since leveling tend to be the most fun part of the game.

That is at least how I would do things...
    deniter
    Loke666 said:
    The problem is that if you want to increase the number of levels every 2 years you need to plan that when you start creating the base mechanics for the game, not a year after the last expansion.

If you make a game desiggned for 60 levels and increase that number the base mechanics takes a hit, and the more levels you add the worse the game mechanics become.

The first D&D came in boxes of levelranges and that worked fine, when your players came up to the levelcap of your current box you bought a new one and that worked fine since the mechanics were made for 20 levels from the start, they didn't just keep adding new levels as time passed.

If you plan from when you start making the game there is no problem but usually the devs just look on launchday when they are working on a MMO and that is a misstake. Currently MMO tend to get far worse after a couple of expansions, the mechanics feel broken, older zones of a certain levelrange becomes empty since newer zones of the same range gives better loot.

Another thing is that I don't get why MMOs need to have so many levels, now most releases with tons of them and add even more each expansion. Do 100 levels really make the game more fun then 20? Assume that getting to max level takes the exact same time, and that you with 20 levels actually get skill upgrades each level, not just some HPs most of them.

If I were to make a levelbased MMORPG I would create the game for 25 levels from the start, releasing the game with just 20 and add one each expansion. that last level would take as long time to reach as the 5-10 other games add. The game would be balanced and I would have rules of balancing items and classes up to lvl 25 before the game even launched.

I do think I would slow down the time to reach max level a bit as well to stop people getting into the endgame too fast (I don't have enough good ideas on how to make the endgame more fun then leveling up). Now it usually takes me at least 3 weeks to level up a character to max in most MMOs, 9 weeks would be far better since leveling tend to be the most fun part of the game.

That is at least how I would do things...

Amount of levels should coincide with the amount of abilities you plan on giving all your classes. Like if you have 60 levels and plan on giving one or two abilities all the way to then yes.  

I can't remember how D&D gave abilities, because the game only went to level 14 or so in the early days. 

But most games should base this on abilities...... Possibly based on amount of zones and how long you would like people to be in them.  
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,530
    Expansion's 

This never sat well with anyone, yet never a real solution.... Do you have any ? 
    An expansion, by the nature of what it is, expands the game. Often in the form of not only more content, but more abilities bestowed to your character to explore that new content.

GW2, did not add 10 more levels.
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• cjmarshcjmarsh Member UncommonPosts: 299
    The solution is both simple and very difficult: do away with the leveling system entirely. Have the game be about activities within it instead of the artificial level grind established as a requirement by the first MMOs. Eve at least turned the design into a time-based mechanic instead of the usual grind but that had its own set of problems.
    Daikurupantaro
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003
    Phry said:

In my observation from post here.

People take their progress at end game seriously only to make it worthless by adding levels.

It gets far far worst as this happens several times in the same game. 
    I love leveling. I always welcome additional levels.

I think this is a "your mileage may vary" thing.
    Panther2103
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • DaikuruDaikuru Member RarePosts: 797
    Thats a big problem i have with MMOs, i hate leveling to the bones, and every expac adds more levels and you have to level again, for what purpose? Ive never understand it.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

- Albert Einstein

Daikuru said:
    Thats a big problem i have with MMOs, i hate leveling to the bones, and every expac adds more levels and you have to level again, for what purpose? Ive never understand it.

Developer mindset, 
    Our product was successful, however our numbers are falling.  Lets add more paid content to continue and bring players back.  We have two choices: 

1) Side by side content up to level 60, but this adds a lot of work inter-weaving story and content to fit..... No, this is too much work. 

2) Add 10 more levels.... Much easer.
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    FFXI got expansions right for a decade so I dont know what you're really talking about OP....because they actually expanded up on the existed game and not just focused on funneling into one aspect. Guild Wars 1 and 2 did it pretty well as well, even ESO.
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Expansion's 

Why is this a problem? If leveling is fun, then there is no problem.

If it is not, choose a game without levels. 

Since there are plenty of games with levels making money, it looks like people are having fun with leveling. 
    Sovrath
  • RosenborgRosenborg Member UncommonPosts: 162
    Expansion's 

SWG got it right with it's first expansion, Jump to Lightspeed. It didn't just add new content but a whole new game.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Well it is a problem if levels are meaningless and too fast,so you really never accomplish anything other than see a new level number for about a week.
    So is this why we buy expansions,to see a level bounce around for a week?

If the content is done well and leveling is slow enough to enjoy each level and gear that we attain each level,otherwise a VERY fast cycling effect that doesn't last long enough top enjoy anything be it good or bad.

FFXI is a good example,going form doing it really well to doing it really bad for sake of selling 3 new expansion packs that arrived in quick succession.In case of FFXI is was a sign of disrespect by SE to soak their fanbase quickly to fund FFXIV which was struggling bad in development and taking forever and costing too much.

This is not relegated to just FFXI during the Abyssea era,this has been going on in every single game,even worse since SOE and Blizzard offered up instant level 90-100 so they could warrant selling the latest expansion which focused ONLY on new zones.

The answer is VERY easy,case in point FFXI for about 8-9 years proved it and that is a pretty good length of time to do it right,seeing how other devs lucky to get 3-5 years of good structure out of their game.If you need me to explain one aspect>>>sub class,HELLO every other developer that doesn't have a clue !!.When utilizing sub classes the way FFXi did it keeps ALL zones relevant for a very long time,many years to be exact.It also creates incentive because you are forever improving your character over all classes and crafts without any need for alts,alt crafters.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601
    edited February 2018
    The problem isn't adding more levels. Generally I think people like having more levels or at least the idea of continued progression. But people get mad when the gear they just spent the last 200 dungeon or raid runs at max level are made redundant by a common drop in new content.

Find a way to make that gear be relevant, or don't make it so long to get or just don't have it at all.

Maybe only do new levels every second or third expansion with AA points in one and new skills (abilities or gear or housing items... That give abilities...) In another.
    DeadSpock
    Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Wizardry said:
    Well it is a problem if levels are meaningless and too fast,so you really never accomplish anything other than see a new level number for about a week.
    So is this why we buy expansions,to see a level bounce around for a week?

If the content is done well and leveling is slow enough to enjoy each level and gear that we attain each level,otherwise a VERY fast cycling effect that doesn't last long enough top enjoy anything be it good or bad.

A week seems to be long enough .. in fact, very long. Even TV shows move faster than that if you binge them on netflix.

Amount of levels should coincide with the amount of abilities you plan on giving all your classes. Like if you have 60 levels and plan on giving one or two abilities all the way to then yes.  

I can't remember how D&D gave abilities, because the game only went to level 14 or so in the early days. 

But most games should base this on abilities...... Possibly based on amount of zones and how long you would like people to be in them.  
    Agreed, if you don't get anything new what is the point?
    Sovrath said:
    I love leveling. I always welcome additional levels.

I think this is a "your mileage may vary" thing.
    But you are just getting a few more HP for most of them anyways, so what is the point?

With fewer levels each level actually would give you something new, you don't think it would be more fun if gaining a level actually meant something?

I am not saying that leveling shouldtake shorter time (rather the opposite), just that they should mean something.

If you just get something every 5th level you have tons of useless padding, at least I get far more a kick from gaining a new skill then just some more HP (of which I already have 20K).

Most MMO players enjoy gaining power as they play, I do and you do. And you would still do that with lesser levels, the difference is that leveling would start to mean something again.

You can certainly have a MMO with a thousand levels and having you level up every 10 minutes but for me that is just meaningless fluff, particularly since leveling is incredible easy today.
    The reward you feel is greater if there is fewer levels and 20 is a good number, have worked for D&D the last 50 years after all.
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    edited February 2018
    I actually agree with the OP. I think it has to do with how progression is implemented in most MMORPGs. Its the so-called rise to power, start as a low level nobody and end up the high level hero that slays the big baddie. First you fight boars and in the end you fight dragons.

And then an expansion hits, and you can't start over as a low level nobody so you have to become an even bigger hero, with an even bigger baddie at the end and then several expansions in it has become completely ridiculous with incredibly inflated damage numbers flying around while fighting God in the end. A great example is WoW. In vanilla you would fight boars in the beginning. Then TBC dropped and you were fighting boars again, but those were "hell boars" with spikes, too silly to be true but you just couldn't be a nobody again.

For me a great expansion adds new gameplay elements, I don't mind the farms/garrisons/class halls in WoW, I hate it that they become obsolete in the next expansion, aka worthless to begin with. Ad new gameplay elements and stick with them. Introduce new zones, classes, races and abilities but no levels, keep all current content relevant. I guess it comes down to ad, not replace. Ohh and graphic upgrades once every 5 years or so, keep it good looking.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• SiphaedSiphaed Member RarePosts: 1,114
    Guild Wars 2 doesn't have this issue.  The last 2 expansions never raised the level cap.  Sure they introduced Legendary Armor, but that's been on the table since the original core game launched.   Nothing new, really.  But the expansions adding new zones, in-depth story, and a more horizontal progression system instead of vertical.

Think about this, 

Adding levels at the end also hurts the product.  

Some people never really make it to the end to care about ten more levels. Yet they would like to vertically start over with something new. 

People often have one at cap and many alts.... They may not want to play that one at cap to see the new content.  

Many may see a new expansion and want to play as new again.... What new do they see with ten levels at the end ?...... WoW understood this, but they only half assed solved this by only making 1-20 level content. 
  • XatshXatsh Member RarePosts: 451
    Look at FFXI if you want a mmo that done expansions right.

Each expansion added new content from ~lvl 20 -75. New lvling areas, new jobs, new storys, new zones/continents, new dungeons, new world bosses, new instanced boss fights. Level caps were never increased so your work was never forcefully thrown away to make you start over.

It was all new content to do from beginning levels all the way to high tier endgame. Each expansion grew the whole world drastically without taking any stuff away (Aka.. negating it). This is the best example of how it should be done in the genre. None of this every 2 yrs throw everything else out bs we have in the genre now.

This is why you could play the game for 50hrs a week for 6+yrs and never run out of stuff to do or get burnt out from doing the same thing every week... you had to rotate content due to the shear amounts of it. To this date no mmo in existence has had more relevant endgame content or the amount of content that Pre-abysea FFXI had. Honestly no mmo has even had 1/2 of the amount.

So sad SE killed it off with abysea... which negated 4 expansions worth of building the game up.

It really is that easy... DO NOT REPLACE THE GAME  EACH EXPANSION. I do not know maby expand your game with expansions instead.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    edited February 2018
    Think about this, 

Some people never really make it to the end to care about ten more levels. Yet they would like to vertically start over with something new. 

People often have one at cap and many alts.... They may not want to play that one at cap to see the new content.  

Many may see a new expansion and want to play as new again.... What new do they see with ten levels at the end ?...... WoW understood this, but they only half assed solved this by only making 1-20 level content. 
    We had an article from a designer on here, saying that only 10% of development time went on end game. Now that makes sense from the point of view of making sure players at least want to stay to top level, but it also points to why people don't stay once they reach it.
  • cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    Expansion's 

The core issue is how progression is handled within MMOs. Developers continue to use vertical progression (numbers get bigger) but it just doesn't work well for a massively multiplayer environment. 

My only answer is expand vertically. 

-New starting zones, mid level and end game up to the "same" max level. 
    -New classes. 
    -No transfer of armor weapons or gold

Problem with this is, how do players blend together for people that don't buy them. However by adding 10 levels you have the same problem. 

This could mess with your head like thinking about time travel !
    You are using the term "vertically" incorrectly. Expanding vertically is exactly what does happen now: adding more levels. What you are describing is a horizontal expansion. The problem with adding a horizontal expansion to a game based on vertical progression is that most of what you add to the game is pointless. For those already at endgame, most of the expansion is redundant. For those who haven't reached endgame, how would they know whether the expansion is good or not? All they'll see is some extra zones whilst leveling, but as there were already enough zones before the xpac, the extra zones just offer choice - thats good, but good enough to justify an expansion?

My preferred solution is to build the entire game around horizontal progression. No levels or power gaps, therefore all content is "on level". Expansions would do the same things as now: new classes, new zones, new dungeons, new raids, new pvp areas, new emotes, new cosmetics, new housing, new crafting recipes etc. It would just all be done without increasing numbers. 

Beyond that, there are many other pitfalls to avoid:
    • Changing core mechanics - this is a pet peeve of mine. Every expansion seems to change the underlying mechanics of a game, and again this is often related to vertical progression. Vertical progression mandates that numbers get bigger, not a problem with things like HP and damage, but what about crit and mitigations? Messing with the core mechanics to deal with shit progression design often screws with the way a game feels. 
    • Revamping old zones - typically this involves removing all group content, streamlining the quests (i.e. put everything into hubs) and revamping old dungeons. Again, this is a consequence of vertical progression - you have to make everything easy and solo because most players will be elsewhere in the game. 
    • Only focusing on one type of player - typically the solo, story focused player. We get it, they're the biggest share of the market and also the easiest to design for. But, whenever a game focuses on just one type of player, the community suffers and thus retention suffers, harming everyone. 

I've personally never played an expansion that made an MMO better than it already was. 
    Scot said:
    Think about this, 

We had an article from a designer on here, saying that only 10% of development time went on end game. Now that makes sense from the point of view of making sure players at least want to stay to top level, but it also points to why people don't stay once they reach it.
    That is even worse then I thought and I am not an optimist.

I agree, the endgame suck and that is a huge part of the problem.

Letting people hit the endgame after a couple of weeks bore most people to tears. Adding 5 more levels every 2 years is lick putting a bandaid on an amputation. Only less play time in the endgame and more work on it (more gameplay options & more fun) can solve that.

Adding more levels only makes sense if you plan does levels from the start. Also, most average monsters should have a standard level. Don't have lvl 60 dogs walking around. Of course named mobs could be way higher then standard.

That also means that if you up the level and make a new zone 5 levels higher then the old top you need to add nastier mobs, not just raised level standard mobs. Save the nasty stuff for higgh level action, if you can kill one unnamed moblin in one zone easily you should be able to take then in any zone. Now, a hob-moblin can be far tougher without any problem but the levelsystem only makes at least minimal sense if you do like D&D and have standard levels for mobs.

As for doing something right, I think Guildwars Factions and Nightfall really did the not raising level expansion perfect, Making an alt in them was a pleasure, not a pain.