Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you only play 1 game at a time or multiple games at once?

2»

Comments

• cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    Only ever play one MMO at a time. 

My preference for playstyle makes it impossible to play more than one MMO. I'm a group-focused, community minded player, so to get the most out of an MMO I need to be playing it for months on end so that I can form the social connections that bring the game alive. 

Single player games....I'm learning to game hop. For a long time, I was a one-game guy. Buy it, play it, complete it and move on. Now that I'm older, have shorter gaming sessions during the week and I also suffer from depression, that strategy doesn't work. I used to find myself getting stuck into a game over the weekend, but work would leave me feeling so shit that I didn't have the time or motivation to continue playing during the week, so I'd end up playing nothing. 

So, I now keep a small library of single player games that are easy to hop in and out of so that I can find fun in gaming regardless of my mood or time pressures. Games like Steep, Mario Kart, GRiD, Yoshi's Woollen World etc are great for just having a short relaxing session. 
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    Kyleran said:
    Assuming they never release Fallout 5 or worse Fallout Online of course.  I would probably just have my consciousness transferred into one of them.

;)
    Fallout Online? This made me shudder with impending dread :lol:

After ESO showed how those wonderful single player IPs transferred to the MMO arena, I have no desire to see the Fallout IP ruined like that, too :)

As for the topic:
    It really depends on how I'm feeling. I have a handful of games (5 or 6?) that I play regularly when the mood hits, most are RPGs like Morrowind, Skyrim or Fallout 3 & NV. I also play a lot of XCom 2 (not War of the Chosen DLC), and Minecraft (singleplayer). Along with those, Rail Empires: Iron Dragon (a rather buggy AI crayon railroad game) and Freecell gets a lot of playtime, too, when I'm feeling blah, or not willing to play more than a few minutes.

I have 206 games in my GOG library that need playing and 39 games on Steam (many of which I've repurchased through GOG and many others that do not even work as they're older games). It's not a lack of games, but rather finding games where I can mod them, and/or they have awesome replayability and I enjoy them.

PS: Notice a lack of MMOs in this list?
    Kyleran

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    AlBQuirky said:
    Kyleran said:
    Assuming they never release Fallout 5 or worse Fallout Online of course.  I would probably just have my consciousness transferred into one of them.

;)

After ESO showed how those wonderful single player IPs transferred to the MMO arena, I have no desire to see the Fallout IP ruined like that, too :)

As for the topic:
    It really depends on how I'm feeling. I have a handful of games (5 or 6?) that I play regularly when the mood hits, most are RPGs like Morrowind, Skyrim or Fallout 3 & NV. I also play a lot of XCom 2 (not War of the Chosen DLC), and Minecraft (singleplayer). Along with those, Rail Empires: Iron Dragon (a rather buggy AI crayon railroad game) and Freecell gets a lot of playtime, too, when I'm feeling blah, or not willing to play more than a few minutes.

I have 206 games in my GOG library that need playing and 39 games on Steam (many of which I've repurchased through GOG and many others that do not even work as they're older games). It's not a lack of games, but rather finding games where I can mod them, and/or they have awesome replayability and I enjoy them.

I think it is impossible to satisfy MMO players who base at least some of what they expect the MMO to be like on what the solo IP offers. ESO and SWTOR suffered form this, Fallout would too.
    Mods can be such a breathe of fresh air to a game, pity developers rarely support them.
    AlBQuirky[Deleted User]
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500
    Scot said:
    AlBQuirky said:
    Kyleran said:

;)

As for the topic:

I think it is impossible to satisfy MMO players who base at least some of what they expect the MMO to be like on what the solo IP offers. ESO and SWTOR suffered form this, Fallout would too.
    Mods can be such a breathe of fresh air to a game, pity developers rarely support them.
    Your two examples are of theme park MMOs which incorporated the popular designs of the day which I feel was a mistake because, you know, theme parks suck....  ;)

Fallout would well support an EVE like sand box style MMO RPG and would give players a great oppotunity to be something other than a vault dweller. 

Super mutant,  ghoul, gunner, Synth, BOS, Raider, Child of the Atom, Robot, pre-war humans, trappers, heck even sentient death claw.

So many gameplay opportunities but it does require some vision....and significant funding as well.p
    cjmarshAlBQuirky

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    Kyleran said:
    Scot said:
    AlBQuirky said:
    Kyleran said:

;)

As for the topic:

Your two examples are of theme park MMOs which incorporated the popular designs of the day which I feel was a mistake because, you know, theme parks suck....  ;)

Fallout would well support an EVE like sand box style MMO RPG and would give players a great oppotunity to be something other than a vault dweller. 

Super mutant,  ghoul, gunner, Synth, BOS, Raider, Child of the Atom, Robot, pre-war humans, trappers, heck even sentient death claw.

So many gameplay opportunities but it does require some vision....and significant funding as well.p

I think you know that a sandbox AAA would be a incredibly hard sell to publishers and investors. But would it have worked as well or better than the theme parks we got?

I quite liked both MMOs, for theme parks they were both great, but I would certainly buy into a AAA sandbox with a big IP.

Harry Potter maybe? Oh OK Fallout if you must. :)
  • cjmarshcjmarsh Member UncommonPosts: 299
    Kyleran said:
    Scot said:
    AlBQuirky said:
    Kyleran said:

;)

As for the topic:

AAA Fallout Sandbox MMO? Don't tease me like that...
    Scot
  • AlomarAlomar Member RarePosts: 1,299
    When there's a game out worthy of my addiction/attention I only play one at a time. This can be for mmo's, rts's, rpg's, and survival games, but I haven't had a game that exclusively held my attention since The Witcher 3. Now I've had to settle for playing one mediocre mmo after another with usually 1-2 other games on the side such as an rts or rpg. 
    AlBQuirky
    Haxus Council Member
    21  year MMO veteran 
    PvP Raid Leader 
    Lover of The Witcher & CD Projekt Red
  • TofkeTofke Member UncommonPosts: 342
    Usually I end up with one that gets my full attention and another on the side for now and then. Rarely will it be two on the side.
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    multiple .. and i read novels, watch tv, go to movies, .... It is boring to me to just stick to one item of entertainment. 
    Torval said:

I used to play gaming like that and I missed out on a lot of cool games that way. Sure, you can always play it later, but the social aspect of it will have passed.
    The social aspect is irrelevant because you can socialize across games. Just use a chat room/chat program, FB or a thousand other social media platform when you are playing games. It is not like gamers are still socializing exclusively within a single game.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701
    im normally a one game at a time type of player. i like to dive in 100%.

but when there is nothing worth a crap to play then i play multiple things, kind of bouncing around trying to find something to dive into.
  • bonzoso21bonzoso21 Member UncommonPosts: 380
    Torval said:
    Torval said:

I used to play gaming like that and I missed out on a lot of cool games that way. Sure, you can always play it later, but the social aspect of it will have passed.
    The social aspect is irrelevant because you can socialize across games. Just use a chat room/chat program, FB or a thousand other social media platform when you are playing games. It is not like gamers are still socializing exclusively within a single game.
    Maybe you miss my point. My point being that if I'm in Discord and everyone is chatting about a game they're playing that I'm not because I'm only playing "one game at a time" then I miss a large part of the social connection they share because we're not sharing the same experience. My experience with their game is all second hand so I have no personal connection. I get they're having fun but I can't relate to their experience "killing the boss" or "fighting in through that one dungeon".

If I play the game years later then they can relate, but the topic of conversation has moved on. It's like watching a current event on the news compared to actually being in the current event. That is what I mean by missing out on the social aspect. It has nothing to do with the mundane aspects of where social interaction takes place like which platform or social media facilitates that chat. It's about participating while it is the current topic.

There's a lot to be said for wanting to take part in the "water cooler talk". As much as I've enjoyed MMOs over the years, they've always been a bittersweet relationship because I enjoy playing games from every genre  and on every platform there is, and there are interesting games coming out every month. When I'm playing an MMO too much, that means my backlog of other games is piling up and I'm not going to get the cool experience of getting to chat with everyone about that other big game they're all playing. It's like seeing the new Star Wars 3 years later or something. I so want to get back to Zelda: BOTW on Switch, but it's been 10 months since everyone else was into it and I'm late to the party, so there's no sense of urgency. 
    Kyleran[Deleted User]
    Gorwe said:
    Depends. I am all about balance, so I believe it applies here as well. If I'm very into a game, I'll play mostly only it until I "finish" it(literally for single players ; until I achieve what I came to do for Multiplayer).

Otherwise I like variety. But not too big of a variety. Not more than 4 games for sure. 5 games is the FINAL, NON PLUS ULTRA limit. And yes, my immersion and patience drops severely if playing several "heavy" games(like Pillars or Witcher or the like). Byte sized games don't influence me as much and are PERFECT for variety. Aka wasting time while having fun.

Note: too small of a byte size and I get bored. Applies to such microbyte sized games like Battlerite.

edit: If I HAD TO CHOOSE, I'd choose "Single".

"5 Games is the Final, Non Plus Ultra Limit" is probably the name of the policy Capcom has on how many versions they can release for each officially numbered Street Fighter.
    Gorwe
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Personally, I only play 1 mmorpg at a time since I am conditioned to do so, plus I want to develop some kind of care for the game rather than just hopping around. In the "old days" that was pretty much the "effecient" way to game since options were limited and could get expensive since there wasn't free to play. Now things are different the "newer" generation has been conditioned to just move on when they dont like something since it only costs them time to do so (which is less valuable to some). I wont say that its not possible to care about multiple games or even only play certain games for certain aspects of them, that's perfectly fine for everyone who decides to do that, its just not for me.
    All good strategies. I don't really get to enjoy that watercooler talk anymore, and I do miss it. As I've gotten a bit older, friends and family are seen less often and we just sorta catch up for food and drinks rather than make time to play games together. I worked in gaming journalism a bit in the early to mid 2000s, and it certainly kept things moving. I'll always remember waiting in line for 2 hours to play Zelda: Twilight Princess at E3 2005, and then I never even bought the game when it released. I also got to see the behind-closed-doors demo of Oblivion straight from Todd Howard, and am one of those pretty few people to have physically played StarCraft: Ghost. Man, those were the days!
    Torval said:

If I play the game years later then they can relate, but the topic of conversation has moved on. It's like watching a current event on the news compared to actually being in the current event. That is what I mean by missing out on the social aspect. It has nothing to do with the mundane aspects of where social interaction takes place like which platform or social media facilitates that chat. It's about participating while it is the current topic.
    You play games so you have something to talk to people about?

If that is the kind of social stuff you like, i would recommend movies at opening weekends. You will never miss a "up-to-date" conversation.