Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sources Claim Disney Has Reached Out to Ubisoft & Activision About Star Wars Games - Star Wars: Batt

12346»

Comments

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    gervaise1 said:
    gervaise1 said:
    Grakulen said:

Bethesda, Bethesda, Bethesda. That's what I want to hear.

Not gonna happen.
    Is that because they are like Blizzard and only make games with their own IPs?  That's the smart way to go for top developers.  Why pay another company and have to pass everything through a review process.
    Destiny. Bungee.
    ?

Blizzard has nothing to do with destiny 2 other than allowing it in their launcher
    Not so. Rather than create their own IP Activision Blizzard opted instead to pay Bungee. One report said c. $125M for Destiny 1 but there were also, apparently, performance criteria as wll plus the contract was extended out to 4 games so what the final sum will be - other than substantial - is probably unknown.

That is a little bit more than simply "allowing it in their launcher". As well as pointing out that - in the case of Destiny - Activision Blizzard are prepared to produce games that do not use their IP.
    Blizzard is not Activision/Blizzard.  They pretty much have free reign to develop their games but Activision probably pressured them to add Destiny 2.

The point is that Blizzard does not work on Destiny 2, like at all.  It's a different developer studio.  Blizzard learned their lesson after working with DC in the 90's.  That was part of why they decided using the Warhammer license would cause problems.  GW didn't drop Blizzard, they never consumated a deal
    Yes under Vivendi - a huge conglomerate - there was a sense that Blizzard always had the option to go over Activision's head and appeal their case. How true that was who knows but that fsemse existed. 

Since they became Activision Blizzard however they have - clearly - been joined in lock step. They are one. So WoW expansions now release to dates given out to AB shareholder close to a year in advance - regardless of bugs; done when its done has gone.

So whilst I accept your point that "Blizzard" have had nothing to do with Destiny "Activision Blizzard" have. When AB, for example, decided to buy King or spend - as initially reported by CEO RK - $500M on Destiny that was billions not available to Bliazzard to do what they wanted. They no longer have free reign.
  • KallendalKallendal Member UncommonPosts: 35
    Rarely post, but this is NEWS. ANYONE, and I mean ANYONE PLEASE, that isn't EA.
  • illutianillutian Member UncommonPosts: 343

Phry said:

I am not surprised that they are unhappy with EA about the IP, but its somewhat laughable that they might consider Activision or Ubisoft as being a 'safer' pair of hands for it rather than just 'more of the same'. Not really sure who i would consider to be a better developer for a future Starwars game, so much would depend on what type of game they are looking to be made, whether its 4X or Single or Multiplayer RPG etc. Honestly at this point i would be more than happy to see a single player game being made using the Starwars IP, another Battlefront type of game using it would be extremely disappointing.

Well, in their defense, they need a studio with the resources to make a game with the requirements that a Star Wars game would have.

Plus, anyone picking up the IP, knows full well they can't fuck around with the fanbase...and that Disney will (hopefully) not put up with shenanigans.

Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising everytime we fall.

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    edited February 2018
      I never ,   concern myself to much with anything that starts with "Unsubstantiated rumors"

Just not worth the time , and most times ends up being BS
  • GitmixGitmix Member UncommonPosts: 605
    Tiller said:
    Gitmix said:
    Awesome ! We clearly need more feminism and social justice warfare in our entertainment!
    EA is obviously too busy pushing gambling on kids to be effective at propagating Disney's political agenda. Off with their heads !

Fuck off, Disney! You already ruined Star Wars with your political drivel, that's enough damage for one generation. 

Nothing to do with gaming. Go ahead and step down now, no one here cares.
    Disney using video games to push their propaganda has nothing to do with gaming?
    You're quite the genius aren't you?

AeanderAllerleirauh
  • cjmarshcjmarsh Member UncommonPosts: 299
    Gitmix said:
    Tiller said:
    Gitmix said:
    Awesome ! We clearly need more feminism and social justice warfare in our entertainment!
    EA is obviously too busy pushing gambling on kids to be effective at propagating Disney's political agenda. Off with their heads !

Fuck off, Disney! You already ruined Star Wars with your political drivel, that's enough damage for one generation. 

Nothing to do with gaming. Go ahead and step down now, no one here cares.
    Disney using video games to push their propaganda has nothing to do with gaming?
    You're quite the genius aren't you?

Disney pushing propaganda? What is it, 'give money to Disney'? EA and Disney are both companies out to make a profit, it's just that Disney is less of a dick about it.
  • GeorgeNoXGeorgeNoX Member UncommonPosts: 58
    good, EA had this coming. Im personally hoping for Activision, Ubisoft might make it work but Activision has way more experience with Sci-Fi games and they have the money to do it
  • wgc01wgc01 Member UncommonPosts: 241
    edited February 2018
    Lucas and Disney used to make their own games so doing it in house is nothing new to them, wish they would then they could make the game the way they want without the middle man.
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    Torval said:
    Torval said:
    gervaise1 said:
    Grakulen said:

Not gonna happen.
    Is that because they are like Blizzard and only make games with their own IPs?  That's the smart way to go for top developers.  Why pay another company and have to pass everything through a review process.
    Destiny. Bungee.
    ?

Blizzard has nothing to do with destiny 2 other than allowing it in their launcher
    You're right. It's not just Blizzard. It's Activision that drove the mutually beneficial partnership. Activision-Blizzard was more than happy to have Destiny 2 on board because that game, along with CoD:WWII were largely responsible for carrying the bottom line. It's all in the financial report news article right here on MMO.
    I'm not sure Blizzard loves the reputation Destiny has in terms of expansions coming out months after release or locking out vanilla content when the expac hit (which I believe they fixed).  I don't believe Blizzard would design content releases the way they've been handled in Destiny
    I think you're fantasizing about how you'd like to imagine Blizzard's feelings as if they're a singular unit. Blizzard has personalities with a lot of different and conflicting opinions. We know this because they've said so when discussions about Classic WoW emerged. They also understand the challenges of selling box fee titles with cash shop revenues. I think Blizzard is likely a lot more understanding of those challenges and less critical than fans who are projecting their personal morality on them are.
    Well Blizzard has avoided the predatory practices in all of their games except Hearthstone.
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    gervaise1 said:
    gervaise1 said:
    gervaise1 said:
    Grakulen said:

Not gonna happen.
    Destiny. Bungee.
    ?

Not so. Rather than create their own IP Activision Blizzard opted instead to pay Bungee. One report said c. $125M for Destiny 1 but there were also, apparently, performance criteria as wll plus the contract was extended out to 4 games so what the final sum will be - other than substantial - is probably unknown.

That is a little bit more than simply "allowing it in their launcher". As well as pointing out that - in the case of Destiny - Activision Blizzard are prepared to produce games that do not use their IP.
    Blizzard is not Activision/Blizzard.  They pretty much have free reign to develop their games but Activision probably pressured them to add Destiny 2.

The point is that Blizzard does not work on Destiny 2, like at all.  It's a different developer studio.  Blizzard learned their lesson after working with DC in the 90's.  That was part of why they decided using the Warhammer license would cause problems.  GW didn't drop Blizzard, they never consumated a deal
    Yes under Vivendi - a huge conglomerate - there was a sense that Blizzard always had the option to go over Activision's head and appeal their case. How true that was who knows but that fsemse existed. 

Since they became Activision Blizzard however they have - clearly - been joined in lock step. They are one. So WoW expansions now release to dates given out to AB shareholder close to a year in advance - regardless of bugs; done when its done has gone.

So whilst I accept your point that "Blizzard" have had nothing to do with Destiny "Activision Blizzard" have. When AB, for example, decided to buy King or spend - as initially reported by CEO RK - $500M on Destiny that was billions not available to Bliazzard to do what they wanted. They no longer have free reign.
    I haven't seen anything suggesting money was taken away from Blizzard's desired spending.  They have been self sufficient for a very long time.  They spend exactly what they need to spend in order to maintain the profit margins they are happy with.

• WolfsheadWolfshead Member UncommonPosts: 224

No no no no if you want a make sure your IP like Star Wars get love it need there is only one company out there that bring life back in to Star Wars IP and that company is CD Projekt RED the are not in for the money the are in for gave fans good experience. Just look at The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt which other company would game there fans 16 free DLC when the game was still there main focus and we shall not talk about there The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt – Game of the Year Edition which not only gave your 16 free DLC but also the 2 expansion pack for free.

That is company your should go with not Ubisoft or Activision or Bethesda.
  • Jyd111Jyd111 Member UncommonPosts: 27

Azmodeus said:

Please give us a sandbox MMO! SWG 2 anyone? :)

Yes, Yes, Yes, Just update SWG keeping our sandbox, player cities & housing (without the stupid hooks), updated Jump to Lightspeed and make it like the old SWG where both sides can mingle and play together. Never did understand why you separate your game base in an MMO.

Tiller

Give me back SWG at sunset and keep adding to it and I would pay twice what it was costing.

• Esquire1980Esquire1980 Member UncommonPosts: 568
    Give Raph Koster the next try. He's already worked for Disney.
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    edited February 2018
    Give Raph Koster the next try. He's already worked for Disney.
    I don't think he would if he was asked. He seems to want to leave anything to do with Star Wars or SWG in the past. He once said that Lucas Arts was really hard to work with and secretive when they created SWG. All they had to go on was mostly EU stuff, prequel material and a few trailers from EP 1. Disney could and would be much worse.
    Post edited by Tiller on
    [Deleted User]
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,868
    I wish they would just make deals for one off games with game developers who come to them with a great idea. Making up contracts for exclusive game rights for years limits the creativity of the brand. Look at Warhammer. Yeah, sure they have a ton of "oh boy this is bad" type games, so maybe don't throw around the license that freely, but you have certainly gotten a variety of different games from them with some really good ones. 
    cameltosis
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    gervaise1 said:
    gervaise1 said:
    gervaise1 said:
    Grakulen said:

Not gonna happen.
    Destiny. Bungee.
    ?

I haven't seen anything suggesting money was taken away from Blizzard's desired spending.  They have been self sufficient for a very long time.  They spend exactly what they need to spend in order to maintain the profit margins they are happy with.

Ask yourself who paid Vivendi? If Blizzard keep all their revenue and no reason why Activision wouldn't do the same who came up with the billions spent.

It is one big company run by a central management team - which will include the heads of Activision, Blizzard and King. And the centre will make the decisions.