Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Gird Your Loins, CU Fans! Beta 1 Start Date to be Announced Today! - Camelot Unchained - MMORPG.com

13»

Comments

• RealizerRealizer Member RarePosts: 724
    I am honestly shocked. I am a highest tier alpha backer and can say with certainty the Alpha builds did not resemble a functional game. Yes there were characters and skills etc. but no NPC cities, quests, or really sense of purpose or fleshed out game to play. Its possible they had been working on stuff but not fully implenting but I really hope thats the case so that the beta doesn’t disappoint.
     I'm honestly shocked you spent almost $500 without watching the founding kickstarter stream, where it was explained this is an old school game build. Which means they built the engine in alpha and tested to make sure the netcode functioned correctly. Beta is where they start to build cities and flesh out what makes the game fun. That will last 3 cycles, after Beta 3 is done the game will launch.  You can expect the beta cycles to take about a year from 1 to launch roughly.  CSE says about 9 months, I say a year. 
    YashaXJamesGoblin
  • YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    Torval said:
    Ozmodan said:
    Torval said:
    Ozmodan said:
    Daakkon said:

nurso said:

Greatness said:

1) The videos I have seen were mainly just seeing how many could be in a place, I never really saw any real features shown besides the CUBE, what has been developed?

- over 1.5k players on the same battlefield @60fps (tested with old hardware)

- server side physics

- players create their own abilities out of components

- magic effects will be treated as objects within the game which means they can interact with other objects (e.g. spells)

- CSE (the studio) has created a server-tech somewhat similar to SpatialOS

- etc.

PvE at all or strictly PvP??

CU has no PvE progression or questing, but PvE for gathering raw materials exists. Also they've planned a very hard non-instanced dungeon, The Depths, where high-tier resources can be found.

And this is what makes me partly sad about this game. The mix of pve/pvp in Dark Age of Cameltoe is what made that game awesome. But I am still looking forward to this game as well.
    Not so much.  PVE in DAoC was a bit too much.  It was what destroyed the game in the end with long quest chains granting far too powerful pvp skills.  CU was designed as a pvp game, they realized that PVE just delayed people from enjoying the PVP.  The PVE in DAoC was boring, the PVP was what was awesome about the game.  So they skipped the boring part.

Looking forward to trying this game out.
    They obviously added pve in way that disenfranchised a lot of players. On the other hand no pve was a problem and retention was bleeding like a sieve. So the situation isn't as simple as it's often presented is it.

According to BruceYee that's all people wanted to do, repeatedly pvp. But that's not really the case either because DAoC isn't a very popular MMO at all, regardless of the rule set. Even our resident super DAoC fan, @Kyleran, even said he couldn't stick with classic DAoC on the pirate server. So people are talking out one end and saying one thing, but their actions are lining up with their words.

I feel like game developers and some vocal core fans believe there is some silent majority demographic out there that secretly wants a game as they envision it. This is true for most any project, not just this one. However, they apparently don't validate the extent or quality of that demographic and fly along on hopes. That is a key reason why I think so many of these projects (indie or AAA) fail to the surprise of the industry. It's why Epic chased PUBG with their Fortnite BR clone, because that demographic has been solidly identified for them and they know it exists so they scramble to dump out a game that hopefully meets most of their wants and needs.

Hopefully these indie games like CU, Pantheon, Ashes, etc. are looking very hard at what they want to believe is true and comparing that to reality.
    How is no pve a problem with the numbers that these survival games are getting?  At least CU has a lot more depth than those games.
    I don't know what the content in CU will be like. I've not really seen any content yet. It may be very compelling in a way that creates strong character attachments. 

Those survival games aren't trying to sell a sub + a box fee. There is also a ton of pve in them if you want to play that way.
    ??? The content is RvR pvp; MJ gives a fairly in depth explanation of what this will involve and how it might differ from other RvR games like WAR or ESO here: http://camelotunchained.com/v3/foundational-principles/

With a brief tdlr here: http://camelotunchained.com/v3/camelot-unchained/
    JamesGoblin
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Realizer said:
    I am honestly shocked. I am a highest tier alpha backer and can say with certainty the Alpha builds did not resemble a functional game. Yes there were characters and skills etc. but no NPC cities, quests, or really sense of purpose or fleshed out game to play. Its possible they had been working on stuff but not fully implenting but I really hope thats the case so that the beta doesn’t disappoint.
     I'm honestly shocked you spent almost $500 without watching the founding kickstarter stream, where it was explained this is an old school game build. Which means they built the engine in alpha and tested to make sure the netcode functioned correctly. Beta is where they start to build cities and flesh out what makes the game fun. That will last 3 cycles, after Beta 3 is done the game will launch.  You can expect the beta cycles to take about a year from 1 to launch roughly.  CSE says about 9 months, I say a year. 
    Based on performance to date I estimate 1.5 years....but then again I'm feeling optimistic these days.

;)

JamesGoblin

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• TalieTalie Member UncommonPosts: 9
    *Insert Gordon Ramsey Delicious some real food meme here*

Been waiting a long time for this, don't mess it up City State, rooting for you to steal away my free time.
    YashaX
  • YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    Torval said:
    YashaX said:
    Torval said:
    Ozmodan said:
    How is no pve a problem with the numbers that these survival games are getting?  At least CU has a lot more depth than those games.
    I don't know what the content in CU will be like. I've not really seen any content yet. It may be very compelling in a way that creates strong character attachments. 

Those survival games aren't trying to sell a sub + a box fee. There is also a ton of pve in them if you want to play that way.
    ??? The content is RvR pvp; MJ gives a fairly in depth explanation of what this will involve and how it might differ from other RvR games like WAR or ESO here: http://camelotunchained.com/v3/foundational-principles/

With a brief tdlr here: http://camelotunchained.com/v3/camelot-unchained/
    Which brings us back to Slapshots point earlier in the thread. That marketing spiel doesn't really cover the content though does it. It covers content design points. Albion online sounds at least as good on paper as well and we know how that turned out. These games repeatedly make the same design choices, follow the same paths, and end up with the same sorts of issues and lack of retention. Albion was and is focused on a very specific niche demographic sacrificing broader appeal to stay true to its vision.

I'm not really sure what the difference is between content and content design points, could you give some examples of what you mean? To me its pretty clear that it will be a RvR game in the vein of ESO/GW2/WAR but without all the pve crap. In other words, exactly the type of game I am looking for!

• tweedledumb99tweedledumb99 Member UncommonPosts: 290
    Iselin said:
    No disrespect to CU. In fact lots of respect: this is one of the few crowfunded MMOS that IMO, is doing it right. But I'm not likely to buy before the beta (unless I'm really, really bored with ESO by July lol.) I just don't buy any game more than a week or two before release these days at the earliest - usually a week or two after.

So I'm looking forward to seeing the streams and hearing what you early adopters have to say. Good news that there's finally a date though.
    respect to that - we'll be here if you feel like joining at any point, including after release.
  • tweedledumb99tweedledumb99 Member UncommonPosts: 290
    edited February 2018
    Sovrath said:
    I don't think there are quests. That was the whole point right?
    There are bounty quests: kill this person, destroy that building, defend this caravan, collect these materials from distant crafting nodes in dangerous areas - dangerous cause near enemy players, etc.
    SovrathJamesGoblinOzmodan