Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Frustration?

N3koAsylumN3koAsylum Member UncommonPosts: 5
TL;DR : Located at the bottom

I might be in the minority here, but I suppose this is still opinion based. Lately I've been looking at various MMORPGs to try and invest time into, since I recently stopped playing FFXIV. While I was searching, it came to me that there are multiple mmos with solid concepts, designs and gameplay, but they're divided between different games. Take for example:

Black Desert Online - Combat, Graphics, Gameplay, PvP, Open Word 
Lacks any real 'progression' per se. No dungeons, no raids, no PvE

FFXIV - PvE [Raids, Savage etc], Crafting
Lacks in the combat department and for me it ruins the game

Blade & Soul - Combat, PvP
Can be argued that it has good graphics, but imo I beg to differ.

Guild Wars 2 - PvE, PvP, Open World
Well known for it's open world 'true' exploration. With the elimination of fetch quests, there's actual meaning to exploring and you get compensated for it.

TERA - Combat
What else is there? Lol

Now those are extreme MINUTE summary of just some MMORPGs I've come to play. The frustrating part about this is that you can't really find a game that's got everything. MMORPGs have been running for decades now and it seems that though we believe the industry's progressing, its quite evident that we aren't. It's to the point when you have to 'settle' for what's available now. I miss the days when you actually had a spark inside of you when viewing a new MMO or trying it for the first time. Now, I just get the meh feeling.

TL;DR: MMMORPGs have become stagnate and frankly put, boring. Priorities seem to be in a mixed state, and innovation has been thrown out for some.

Comments

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Can't go wrong with a good tradional mmo like EQ2. Imo no other mmo has as much content as EQ2.

Perhaps EQ1 but you would be hard pressed to find a MMO with as many classes or races. 
    BruceYee

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I had a long post written but i'll keep it simple.

You are not going to find anything different unless you try FFXi.The classes and combat are  just different than what every other game is doing.
    Personally i have gone back to playing EQ2,it is a nice game with a complete package and i have played plenty of FFXI and need a break.

All these other games are the same RACE to end game crap,then grind out end game best of loot and often you are restricted by what content you can do and your gear.BOTH EQ2 and FFXI have also joined that fray but EQ2 is a better package and FFXI until end game offers a megatude of content ideas and structure that is just different.

Another game that was different and i had some fun back in the day was Runes of Magic but that games needs players to be good and at this point it is dead.It had guild halls and guild vs guild pvp right inside the guild halls.A cool imbue/Rune ideas but it's one blemish and why it drove players away was a heavy cash shop.

So other than Runes which btw also tried to mimic FFXI's sub class system,your not finding any different game designs.EQ2 is the EASIER game to pop into ,FFXI has a bigger learning curve and there is zero hand holding so you have to figure everything out and read wiki's to make sure not left out on content ideas,like attaining a sub class and NPC mercs/companions.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• deniterdeniter Member RarePosts: 1,430
    There's a reason i'm still stuck with vanilla WoW. Wish there was something new, but no.
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    edited February 2018
    Howard Wolowitz: Really? On Dungeons and Dragons I enter a dungeon and find a dragon? Isn't that a little on the nose?

Sheldon Cooper: When you play Chutes and Ladders, do you complain about all the chutes and ladders?

I don't feel that every new game has to be revolutionary. So long as the game is fun and interesting, the fact that it is another fantasy or Sci-Fi RPG much like many others is not off-putting to me. 

But if I am looking for some particular features I once enjoyed in past games, and cannot find them in any new games, that of course disappoints me. 
    AlBQuirky

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Honestly, I feel the current development team across the board is just lazier than they were before, which is "fine" from a business perspective due to the moniker "Work smarter, not harder." For example, this whole thing about Blizzard pushing more people towards raiding. Why? Cause its easy to replicate across the board by making one piece of continue and regurgitating it 4 times. Same thing with mythic+. Gone are the days that you were either skilled to do something or you just could not get it done. This isn't happening as much in FFXIV; however, the reward system in that game is so lackluster that there's no motivation to do it regardless. I do feel times need to go back to being "unforgiving" not difficult, since there's a difference. By "unforgiving" I mean leaving people behind. Almost every game on the market raising the floor slightly after raising the ceiling to give top end players a false sense of "progression" while the majority get pushed along by the developers to make sure they keep spending money, which from a business perspective is fine. Unfortunately, not everyone is stupid. Top end either burn themselves out and quit by the time they realize this or convert to being casual and the casuals end up playing less because they know they can come back anytime they want without the fear of being left behind.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    TL;DR : Located at the bottom

I might be in the minority here, but I suppose this is still opinion based. Lately I've been looking at various MMORPGs to try and invest time into, since I recently stopped playing FFXIV. While I was searching, it came to me that there are multiple mmos with solid concepts, designs and gameplay, but they're divided between different games. Take for example:

Black Desert Online - Combat, Graphics, Gameplay, PvP, Open Word 
    Lacks any real 'progression' per se. No dungeons, no raids, no PvE

FFXIV - PvE [Raids, Savage etc], Crafting
    Lacks in the combat department and for me it ruins the game

Blade & Soul - Combat, PvP
    Can be argued that it has good graphics, but imo I beg to differ.

Guild Wars 2 - PvE, PvP, Open World
    Well known for it's open world 'true' exploration. With the elimination of fetch quests, there's actual meaning to exploring and you get compensated for it.

TERA - Combat
    What else is there? Lol

Now those are extreme MINUTE summary of just some MMORPGs I've come to play. The frustrating part about this is that you can't really find a game that's got everything. MMORPGs have been running for decades now and it seems that though we believe the industry's progressing, its quite evident that we aren't. It's to the point when you have to 'settle' for what's available now. I miss the days when you actually had a spark inside of you when viewing a new MMO or trying it for the first time. Now, I just get the meh feeling.

TL;DR: MMMORPGs have become stagnate and frankly put, boring. Priorities seem to be in a mixed state, and innovation has been thrown out for some.
    I agree that no game is perfect. I've been playing PC game since around 2003 and a lot started out great and I played them like there was no tomorrow but they all had things I also didn't like about them.  

Now I treat MMO's like a buffet and just play the parts I enjoy.  If I were you I'd make a list of what I like about those games and play the one with the most positives.
    Gorwe

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    Wizardry said:

You are not going to find anything different unless you try FFXi.The classes and combat are  just different than what every other game is doing.
    Personally i have gone back to playing EQ2,it is a nice game with a complete package and i have played plenty of FFXI and need a break.

All these other games are the same RACE to end game crap,then grind out end game best of loot and often you are restricted by what content you can do and your gear.BOTH EQ2 and FFXI have also joined that fray but EQ2 is a better package and FFXI until end game offers a megatude of content ideas and structure that is just different.

Another game that was different and i had some fun back in the day was Runes of Magic but that games needs players to be good and at this point it is dead.It had guild halls and guild vs guild pvp right inside the guild halls.A cool imbue/Rune ideas but it's one blemish and why it drove players away was a heavy cash shop.

So other than Runes which btw also tried to mimic FFXI's sub class system,your not finding any different game designs.EQ2 is the EASIER game to pop into ,FFXI has a bigger learning curve and there is zero hand holding so you have to figure everything out and read wiki's to make sure not left out on content ideas,like attaining a sub class and NPC mercs/companions.
    I am absolutely astonished to see you praise Runes of Magic, almost stunned actually.

Weird.

;)
    cjmarshConstantineMerus

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Kyleran said:
    Wizardry said:

I am absolutely astonished to see you praise Runes of Magic, almost stunned actually.

Weird.

;)
    Couldn't you also not do character transfers in that game due to the game's coding or something? I'd say that was a huge death nail as well if it was true.
  • cjmarshcjmarsh Member UncommonPosts: 299
    MMOs haven't become stagnant, they've just become safe. Developers and their publishers are risking huge sums of money on the mechanic they create so the more proven ideas are used and as a result all the games feel similar. But the market has a heavy demand for new features even so and that's why crowdfunded games are seeing such a huge rise in the MMORPG space. Between Ashes, CU, CF, CoE, DU, and Pantheon I think there will be at least one diamond in the rough.
    AlBQuirky
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    DMKano said:
    Ugh - EQ2 for me remains one of the worst MMOs on the market, was a weak attempt at WoW. 

Project 99 is better in every way possible, and has no monthly sub and no cash shop and has gameplay that is for me - better in every way possible compared to EQ2.

I mean EQ2 was made for people who didn't like EQ1 - so everything that I loved about EQ1 like all the cool gameplay mechanics - they completely destroyed that in EQ2.
    You do know that EQ2 released 6 weeks before Wow, right?

It is certainly true that it have taken features from Wow after it became so successful but it was released before Wow. If it was a weak attempt of anything it was to make a more mainstream version of EQ.

I kinda liked EQ2 once myself, but the game have had far too many expansions and it's best before date was 10 years ago. It also have a terrible coded engine, just slightly better then Vanguards so expect low framerate even if you have a good computer.

I would stay clear of the game, wait for Pantheon to release instead.
    AlBQuirkydelete5230RemyVorender
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,532
    The question you have to ask yourself, is what are you looking for in a game.

No game will offer you everything, as some things are simply not compatible. so you need to first decided "What are you looking to gain from playing this game"

--- and then find a game that will give you that, perhaps even at the expense of everything and anything else.
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    Loke666 said:
    DMKano said:
    Ugh - EQ2 for me remains one of the worst MMOs on the market, was a weak attempt at WoW. 

Project 99 is better in every way possible, and has no monthly sub and no cash shop and has gameplay that is for me - better in every way possible compared to EQ2.

I mean EQ2 was made for people who didn't like EQ1 - so everything that I loved about EQ1 like all the cool gameplay mechanics - they completely destroyed that in EQ2.

It is certainly true that it have taken features from Wow after it became so successful but it was released before Wow. If it was a weak attempt of anything it was to make a more mainstream version of EQ.

I kinda liked EQ2 once myself, but the game have had far too many expansions and it's best before date was 10 years ago. It also have a terrible coded engine, just slightly better then Vanguards so expect low framerate even if you have a good computer.

I call EQ2 a bad jigsaw puzzle... Real bad !!  

Expansion's slapped together like a bad sandwich , they don't fit together and don't make sense like a lot of my post ! 

-Add that they were pumping a new one every 6 months. 
    -Add that the coding was all over the place. 
    -Add that the graphics were bad.  
    -Add that you never knew when you would get charged by 20 bandits at once. 
    -Add that they never fixed any bugs. 
    -Add that it's now a heavy handed cash shop. 

I afraid of what Pantheon will be, because of all this !  

However I did like it somewhat for the first two years anyway :)

I call EQ2 a bad jigsaw puzzle... Real bad !!  

Expansion's slapped together like a bad sandwich , they don't fit together and don't make sense like a lot of my post ! 

-Add that they were pumping a new one every 6 months. 
    -Add that the coding was all over the place. 
    -Add that the graphics were bad.  
    -Add that you never knew when you would get charged by 20 bandits at once. 
    -Add that they never fixed any bugs. 
    -Add that it's now a heavy handed cash shop. 

However I did like it somewhat for the first two years anyway :)
    The graphics were fine when it released, today the realistic character models look terrible of course but that always happens with games going for that. We could discuss the art of course but art is in the eye of the beholder.

The rest of your arguments are rather true though, particularly that it have far too many expansions that broke the game. Up until EoF I had rather fun with the game though, that was before they started to become pay2win. It started to get worse fast after that expansion.

I still think it was rather a good game for the first few years even with all the bugs and crappy code. Now it is just old and dated. 
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,532

Just a heads up.. Brad McQuaid, the head developer of Pantheon, created the original EverQuest, and had nothing to do with EQ2,.

Smedly, of SOE/Daybreak took care of EQ2.
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    Loke666 said:
    DMKano said:

But the EQ2 that released was quite a bit different than the EQ2 a year later....They totally revamped the game and WoWified it big time to be alot more like WoW....The original EQ2 was much harder and crafting was extremely tedious and difficult as you had to gather every component individually and craft many individually.....
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    Ungood said:

Just a heads up.. Brad McQuaid, the head developer of Pantheon, created the original EverQuest, and had nothing to do with EQ2,.

Smedly, of SOE/Daybreak took care of EQ2.
    Right Brad was involved in EQ1 and in Vanguard...most think Pantheon will be along those lines...The question is though are people still willing to play a totally group based game after over a decade of mainly soloing in MMOs?
    AlBQuirky
  • BestinnaBestinna Member UncommonPosts: 190
    yes, when I think of mmos I get very frustrated if not outright MAD.
  • Flyte27Flyte27 Member RarePosts: 4,574
    It is always hard to find that spark when something becomes mainstream IMO.  If you go back and look at some of the older games they had different game mechanics.  It was possible for developers of the time to put in maps, GPS, ! marks and things of that nature.  They could have dumbed the game down to simply following a marker around and killing mobs.  Instead, there was often a lot more involved game mechanics that were time consuming to learn and not for most people.

Aside from that things are always better in the beginning.  When they are new and there isn't much known about how they work outside of the people who make them.  Then they have a magical quality about them.  They also don't have the censorship and control that mainstream products eventually acquire.

I don't really play MMOs anymore, but if I did I'd probably go back and play EQ1.  It had quite a large variety of different game mechanics, classes, races, abilities, and starting areas.  The dungeons were fairly complex.  I had a lot of fun in it, but I feel a bit burnt out on that type of grind.  Even with EQ having a lot faster leveling.
    Loke666 said:

But the EQ2 that released was quite a bit different than the EQ2 a year later....They totally revamped the game and WoWified it big time to be alot more like WoW....The original EQ2 was much harder and crafting was extremely tedious and difficult as you had to gather every component individually and craft many individually.....
    I wouldn't go so far as totally revamped, but as I said, they did take features from Wow when it was clear Wow would be the next big thing.

SWG they totally revamped.
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

The frustrating part about this is that you can't really find a game that's got everything. 
    Just play multiple games .. problem solved.