Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Citizen - Development Updates

Comments

• sgelsgel Member RarePosts: 1,960
    Arillix said:
    @Turrican187,

Starter, as in career type, not as late game as the Reclaimer, Starfarer,  and such.
    Where is it written it has to be bought now?
    Not sure how many of you played Freelancer, it was NOT hard to make the money for new ships.
    Hell, fighting rogues and xenos in the new york system could make thousands of creds with all the guns and such to sell.
    Star Citizen will most likely be very similar.
    Plus add all the missions, making money in game should be fairly brisk.
    Pure speculation that making money will be brisk.
    I seriously doubt it though... considering ship progression is the only progression the game has, they aren't going to make it that easy.

..Cake..

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member EpicPosts: 6,148
    edited February 16
    I think that new support ship is a initial "jack of all tools", it's not specialized (as good to put it simply) but it can do multiple things, as refueling, repairing and so.

I think lies on much on "I want to do this activity but I don't want a big ship that requires a crew of players and/or AI.", just like the mining solo ship they introduced, before the Prospector mining required owning the colossus that the Orion ship is.
    Post edited by MaxBacon on
  • ArillixArillix Member UncommonPosts: 88
    edited February 16
    @sgel,

Well going by the space trucking videos on youtube, people are making up to 1,000,000 in aUEC in one cargo run. The commodity type and ship cargo cap. play a big role, however is very doable.
    When more commodities come online, and more places to sell them at, plus mining and salvage, profits will be super.
    May not be to far of a stretch.

Post edited by Arillix on
    Babuinix
  • BabuinixBabuinix Member RarePosts: 1,760
    sgel said:
    I seriously doubt it though... considering ship progression is the only progression the game has, they aren't going to make it that easy.
    Player is an avatar not a ship, even in this early version player's progression is already measured in the gear/clothing they buy/wear not the ships they fly....
  • KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 3,652
    Babuinix said:
    sgel said:
    Player is an avatar not a ship, even in this early version player's progression is already measured in the gear/clothing they buy/wear not the ships they fly....
    I wouldn’t really call putting on a white shirt instead of a blue shirt player progression.
    JamesGoblin
  • VrikaVrika Member EpicPosts: 5,019
    edited February 16
    Arillix said:
    @sgel,

Well going by the space trucking videos on youtube, people are making up to 1,000,000 in aUEC in one cargo run. The commodity type and ship cargo cap. play a big role, however is very doable.
    When more commodities come online, and more places to sell them at, plus mining and salvage, profits will be super.
    May not be to far of a stretch.

During Alpha the progress speed is usually either not balanced at all, or increased so that people can play around and test different things.

The aUEC earning speed doesn't tell us any more than that the final game will have a mechanism for earning money through those activities.
    Post edited by Vrika on
    Rhime

• kikoodutroa8kikoodutroa8 Member RarePosts: 543
    Babuinix said:
    sgel said:
    The ships players buy with real money? Sounds like a great progression system!
  • IceAgeIceAge Member RarePosts: 2,073
    Vrika said:

During Alpha ....
    I am pretty sure, 4 years ago you said that exactly same sentence.  4 years later, here you are again.

Anyway , do you think you will change your sentence in another 4 years starting from today? Lol.

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member EpicPosts: 6,148
    edited February 17
    Vrika said:
    During Alpha the progress speed is usually either not balanced at all, or increased so that people can play around and test different things.

The aUEC earning speed doesn't tell us any more than that the final game will have a mechanism for earning money through those activities.
    Yeah this will face balancing over and over again, through the alpha, beta and even after release.

Hell we saw GW2 rebalancing its game base game systems that determine earning rates years after it released, I don't think there will be a moment where it will be final and that's it.

The biggest pass on earning rates will come when the ability to start buying ships with aUEC arrives, likely we'll see "low-tier" content being scaled up in rewards temporarily to even it out.
    Post edited by MaxBacon on
    Kefo said:
    Babuinix said:
    sgel said:
    I wouldn’t really call putting on a white shirt instead of a blue shirt player progression.
    If you are a player that prefers white to blue it's progression. Also, If you put heavy armour on top of that blue shirt, add a sub-machine gun, grenades and a plasma canon I'd call that progression.
    Babuinix said:
    sgel said:
    The ships players buy with real money? Sounds like a great progression system!
    Everyone can walk inside and out of any ship available ingame, they can pilot it themselves, lend it to friends or have it stolen if they are not careful.

Players are avatars, not vehicles. That's why a 20$ package backer can have fun walking/piloting/stealing/destroying all the ships available now and in the future without putting a cent more.
    Amen.
    Babuinix said:
    Kefo said:
    Babuinix said:
    sgel said:
    If you are a player that prefers white to blue it's progression. Also, If you put heavy armour on top of that blue shirt, add a sub-machine gun, grenades and a plasma canon I'd call that progression.
    You and I have vastly different ideas of what progression is. You seem to think putting on armour or clothes is progression when usually that’s basic character creation or picking a weapon for a FPS match.

I really shouldn’t be surprised at this point anymore though.
    Babuinix said:
    Kefo said:
    Babuinix said:
    sgel said:
    If you are a player that prefers white to blue it's progression. 
    Star Citizen: Going from a blue shirt to a white shirt is our progression. 
    No, our defense force is not desperate and doesn't make utterly ridiculous claims, what do  you mean?
    Please buy an Idris.
    KefoJamesGoblin

..Cake..

@sgel,

Why buy the Idris, when I can fly around stealthily, hack the ship from distance, killing the power by over loading your component fuses, then swoop in and strip it while you and your crew suffocate. Or board you at a port, as a legit crew member only to slow and methodically murder all other crew one by one. Payday for me. 
    kikoodutroa8JamesGoblin
    edited February 17
    Kefo said:
    You and I have vastly different ideas of what progression is. You seem to think putting on armour or clothes is progression when usually that’s basic character creation or picking a weapon for a FPS match.

I really shouldn’t be surprised at this point anymore though.
    As it should be, gamer's have different idea of fun. You might like PVP I might prefer PVE, you might care a lot for min-maxing I might care only for cosmetics and role-play...

Progression is not just about increasing a lvling/reputation bar to unlock "stuff". 

That's the appeal of mmorpg's I think.

sgel said:
    Star Citizen: Going from a blue shirt to a white shirt is our progression. 
    No, our defense force is not desperate and doesn't make utterly ridiculous claims, what do  you mean?
    Please buy an Idris.
    For someone that follows Star Citizen so regularly you should know that doing missions gets you more credits, that allows for buying better Armour therefore allowing you to carry more and better weapons, grenades... 

That you can even buy better equipments for ships like shields, coolers etc...

Maybe focus more on the gaming part and less on the hating.

It's a video-game thread in a video-game forum after all. 
    Post edited by Babuinix on
    Arillix said:
    @sgel,

Why buy the Idris, when I can fly around stealthily, hack the ship from distance, killing the power by over loading your component fuses, then swoop in and strip it while you and your crew suffocate. Or board you at a port, as a legit crew member only to slow and methodically murder all other crew one by one. Payday for me. 
    It's obvious you've never played star citizen.
    Arillix said:
    @sgel,

And when can you do this? 5 years from now? 10? Only in your head as hopes and dreams?
    Ah yes, the tired, lazy, unimageative, and pathetic FUD of if is not in the game right this second.
    Best of luck with that.

BabuinixOdeezee
    How much are you in for?
    46,792,644.02 in bitcoin dust.
    96,877,904.83 in Etherium nuggets.
    7,453,662,895.71 in goon salty tears and Derek Smart anguish.
    You?
    JamesGoblinBabuinixOdeezee
    Babuinix said:

I was literally quoting you.
    YOU said that even changing the colour of the shirt on your avatar is progression.

Star Citizen: Change your shirt to level up.
    JamesGoblin

..Cake..

Arillix said:
    Ah yes, the tired, lazy, unimageative, and pathetic FUD of if is not in the game right this second.
    Best of luck with that.

It hasn't been in game for the last 7 years. When will it be?

Which ship can hack an idris from a distance? How does it work?
    If you overload the fuses, why can't the crew repair them?
    If you board the ship and start killing crew, how will your stop the killed person from communicating your identity to the rest of the crew?

I think buying an Idris will be more efficient. Don't be stingy, dip into that wallet and help CIG make the BDSSE.

..Cake..

Arillix said:
    Best of luck with that.

Lol can’t refute the argument so resort to lazy attacks.

And how is asking when you can do what you talked about like about hacking a ship to kill the crew or stealthily kill everyone on board one by one (cause no one talks over mumble right? Lol) spreading fear, uncertainty and doubt? Unless of course it’s making you face the harsh reality of the game as it currently stands and you break into a cold sweat?
    sgel said:
    Babuinix said:

I was literally quoting you.
    YOU said that even changing the colour of the shirt on your avatar is progression.

Star Citizen: Change your shirt to level up.
    Some people care about cosmetics to the point of focusing their gameplay only to get their avatar to look like they want. If someone likes a specific color to match their gear they will play to get it and once they get they will feel that as a "progression" in attaining their avatar visual. This might be hard to understand from someone who comes from elite maybe where you are just a vehicle and can only improve it's avatar trough the cash shop but in regular mmorpgs searching for that specific piece of gear and make a visual appealing matching set is a great deal of the motivation to play. Other's don't care about looks and just focus on min-maxing to get the better performance possible, and that's ok, to each it's own. The more possibilities in gameplay the better.