Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Xbox One X Official Review: The PC Gamer’s Console - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited February 2018 in News & Features Discussion

imageXbox One X Official Review: The PC Gamer’s Console - MMORPG.com

We often hear about what’s happening in the console world with mixed feelings. For years, the friendly rivalry between PC and console players has burned, but with the power of consoles on the rise and the cost of building a PC moving out of reach, we had to ask: Are consoles finally competitive with gaming PCs? We decided to take look at Microsoft’s latest and greatest. This is our review of the Xbox One X.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• ChaserzChaserz Member UncommonPosts: 317
    edited February 2018
    Excellent, very informative, review. XBox One X has MMO releases for it. So I've kept my eye on it just as an enthusiast. This review was great. I didn't know about Play Anywhere. Very nice!
  • DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982
    Until consoles include keyboard and PROPER mouse support (raw mouse / 1:1), the console will always be limited to caveman-like gameplay. There is only so much you can do with a controller. As far as graphics and performance, yes... consoles can certainly compete. However, I won't touch one simply because of the limited controls / horrid community.
    OzmodanStrizzy12MikehaScorchienStjerneoddLazarus71ShodanasWhiteshade92ElvocKeushpuppyand 16 others.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,952
    This is the definition of double dipping. Microsoft earn from every PC sold, so they are going to put all their games on the PC right, support the platform? Well they did at first but then they saw $$ signs up for grabs.

Instead they release a console and put their games on there so they can earn from every console sold. If you have a PC and want to play their games you need a console as well. KERCHING!

Now that may be backfiring somewhat, but whatever they lose on PC sales they get back on the Xbox, so the situation is still a total win for them.
    nycplayboy78
  • SepellBadeSepellBade Member UncommonPosts: 20

Dauzqul said:

Until consoles include keyboard and PROPER mouse support (raw mouse / 1:1), the console will always be limited to caveman-like gameplay. There is only so much you can do with a controller. As far as graphics and performance, yes... consoles can certainly compete. However, I won't touch one simply because of the limited controls / horrid community.

I agree with you. I do own one myself but do like the full control you get with a mouse and keyboard. Saying that I'm glad I don't have to play Forza 7 Motorsport with a mouse and keyboard lol
    [Deleted User]nycplayboy78
  • GameByNightGameByNight Hardware and Technology EditorMMORPG.COM Staff, Member RarePosts: 793

Dauzqul said:

I didn't test this, but I believe Xbox currently allows it? Developers have to allow it, though.
    [Deleted User]
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    The major thing for me on the Xbox is the 4k blueray drive.  Why Sony does not include this option is beyond me, but you have not watched video until you have seen 4k blueray.    Anyone that tries to tell me they can stream 4k at peak evening times, they are either fooling themselves or are on a rare line that does not see much use.
    Ridelynn
  • maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,178

Dauzqul said:

I didn't test this, but I believe Xbox currently allows it? Developers have to allow it, though.
    CORRECT!  Xbox does have M&K support, but it has to be written into the games currently.  XB has been pushing for more M&K support though, and supposedly it will be inherent in the system so you can browse the internet, etc. with M&K and go through the menus, etc.

But, there is a split between games that play good with a M&K and ones that play better with a controller.  
    [Deleted User][Deleted User]

• ScottJeslisScottJeslis Member UncommonPosts: 355
    Great review Chris! You made me feel better about my purchase! One note, for anyone who likes physical copies / resell-able game copies, "Play Anywhere" is only applicable on games bought through the Microsoft Store, i.e. digital.

Also worth noting, for $9.99 a month the Xbox Game Pass program now features all upcoming first-party games on the same day as their retail release AND the same sub will also let you play first-party games release day on PC!
    [Deleted User]
  • HashbrickHashbrick Member RarePosts: 1,851

Ozmodan said:

The major thing for me on the Xbox is the 4k blueray drive.  Why Sony does not include this option is beyond me, but you have not watched video until you have seen 4k blueray.    Anyone that tries to tell me they can stream 4k at peak evening times, they are either fooling themselves or are on a rare line that does not see much use.

PS4 Pro supports 4k blurays, I can stream 4k video just fine but I have a 150MBs line.

Scot said:

This is the definition of double dipping. Microsoft earn from every PC sold, so they are going to put all their games on the PC right, support the platform? Well they did at first but then they saw $$ signs up for grabs.

Instead they release a console and put their games on there so they can earn from every console sold. If you have a PC and want to play their games you need a console as well. KERCHING!

Now that may be backfiring somewhat, but whatever they lose on PC sales they get back on the Xbox, so the situation is still a total win for them.

Most of the heavy hitters is available to play on pc with xbox live on Windows 10 without buying the console version. I don't use or care, but know that it exists.

Sephros
    [[ DEAD ]] - Funny - I deleted my account on the site using the cancel account button.  Forum user is separate and still exists with no way of deleting it. Delete it admins. Do it, this ends now.
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

Dauzqul said:

why caveman-like? because you don't like controllers? lol

No need to call names to express your dislike towards a particular format. I love my PC but i ain't touching PC games that play with mouse only. It's all personal preference.
    maskedweaselLazarus71

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I used to have an Xbox and Sony, gave them up because I ended up buying some of the same games multiple times to play on the different platforms.  Plus I can do without the subs.  But if you're into them enjoy!

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    edited February 2018

Hashbrick said:

Ozmodan said:

PS4 Pro supports 4k blurays, I can stream 4k video just fine but I have a 150MBs line.

PS4 Pro does not have a 4K Blue Ray Player. This is the one thing most people don't like about the console.
    [Deleted User]
  • DaikuruDaikuru Member RarePosts: 797
    The only Consoles i can accept are Nintendo's.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

- Albert Einstein

I used to have an Xbox and Sony, gave them up because I ended up buying some of the same games multiple times to play on the different platforms.  Plus I can do without the subs.  But if you're into them enjoy!
    That's my biggest issue as well. I usually prefer to buy my games on console because i prefer physical media, but i tend to play coop/online with my PC friends more often so i end up buying certain games twice. Most recent example will be Monster Hunter World. I'll play it with my Steam friends later this year but meanwhile i'm loving the PS4 version.
    YashaX

Torval said:
    Good write up Chris. I'd like to get an Xbox One X but I'm also eyeing a Switch. I think the Xbox is something I'll probably get more use from.

I'm curious how the Intel/AMD APUs will compare when building a PC system. They could open up a whole new set of options for a budget mITX build.
    I think it's a tough call, because most XB games will eventually be on PC, but switch games generally aren't.  

I see that as a tough decision, especially since the switch is also cheaper. 
    rojoArcueid

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    edited February 2018
    Torval said:
    Good write up Chris. I'd like to get an Xbox One X but I'm also eyeing a Switch. I think the Xbox is something I'll probably get more use from.

I'm curious how the Intel/AMD APUs will compare when building a PC system. They could open up a whole new set of options for a budget mITX build.
    I've had my switch for almost a year. All I've played on it are Zelda BotW and Mario Odyssey.

The hours I've put into those two games have made the switch purchase a bargain.

I've been seriously considering buying the X, but wondering how much I'm actually going to use it. 

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

laserit said:
    Torval said:

I've had my switch for almost a year. All I've played on it are Zelda BotW and Mario Odyssey.

The hours I've put into those two games have made the switch purchase a bargain.

I've been seriously considering buying the X, but wondering how much I'm actually going to use it. 
    I also wanted to upgrade to the X, but I play my xbox so rarely these days, I can't justify the purchase. I haven't played my switch in a long time either, but for different reasons. 

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555
    Great review, Chris!
  • BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    It really is a nice console. But man, it needs exclusives. Can't see a reason to get one the way I did with the PS4 and Switch. 
    rojoArcueidConstantineMerusHerase[Deleted User]HuntrezzOctagon7711

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    I have an X Box one X , its a great dust collector , while the 2 pcs in the house get used daily
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    All of the power in the world means nothing for a console with no real exclusives.
    BillMurphy
  • GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,470

It really is a nice console. But man, it needs exclusives. Can't see a reason to get one the way I did with the PS4 and Switch. 

Ugh, exclusives aren't good for gamers at all.
    YashaX

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

edited February 2018

Ginaz said:

thats what people say when their platform of choice don't get certain good games. Those are what drive platform sales. I can get a mid tier PC instead of an expensive high tier PC and have enough cash left to buy 2 or 3 consoles with some exclusives on each. I get to play all the games i want in their respective platform. The best of all worlds.

I personally rather have all my games in several platforms than just have 1 expensive platform with less games to play on. I say less games because there are less games on PC I personally want to play. Every person is different, of course.
    Moxom914

Ginaz said:

Yes they are. Exclusives are the means by which platform competition even exists in our industry. Without competition, there is no innovation, quality control, or drive to provide better service. The results of a lack of competition are clear and can be readily seen in the cable/internet service sector.

Our industry is dead without exclusives. The only people who cannot see that are those that are tunnel visioned on the games their platform isn't getting.
    Torval said:
    Aeander said:
    Ginaz said:

Yes they are. Exclusives are the means by which platform competition even exists in our industry. Without competition, there is no innovation, quality control, or drive to provide better service. The results of a lack of competition are clear and can be readily seen in the cable/internet service sector.

Our industry is dead without exclusives. The only people who cannot see that are those that are tunnel visioned on the games their platform isn't getting.
    Exclusives undermine competition, not promote it. You can't compete when someone else has an exclusive.

Microsoft doesn't need exclusives. The industry needs to stop that practice and promote more cross platform interop. Remember how Sony was blowing their horn about cross play, but when Microsoft came around they're suddenly not for it.

I have 2 PS4. I'm not happy when I have to buy something through the PS4 store as an exclusive. Or when I can only get it on the DS because it's only being released on that piece of hardware. That's not good for competition or the consumer.

The internet was just up in arms over Microsoft buying EA and lamenting woefully how FIFA and NFL being exclusive would be horrible for the industry. Was that just PS4 and Switch owners crying about that?

Or how about how Tim Sweeney have been bleating on and on about how the Windows 10 store will kill gaming and quash competition?
    Aside from most of your statement being bullshit, EA's exclusivity contract with the NFL/FIFA is not a good example. That's not a platform exclusive, but rather effective ownership of an entire genre, meaning that there can be no meaningful competition in that genre (as attempting to compete in the sports genre without the official brand is tantamount to suicide). It's a totally different situation which you have conflated with platform exclusivity for the sake of your argument. An exclusive game is the equivalent of Taco Bell's frequent limited time menu items - attempting to compete by offering new, exclusive experiences. EA's brand deal is the equivalent of taco bell patenting the taco (outrageous and absurd, but valid for the scenerio). 

But if you wish to argue this, why don't you suggest an alternative? By what means can a console distinguish itself other than exclusive games? If hardware power alone was enough, the PS3 would not have lost to the XBOX 360 and Wii and the PSP/Vita would have driven Nintendo's inferior hardware out of the market. People do not give a shit about hardware when games are lacking.