Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age PC Review - Ivalice Never Looked So Good - The RPG Files - MMORPG.

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited February 2018 in News & Features Discussion

imageFinal Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age PC Review - Ivalice Never Looked So Good - The RPG Files - MMORPG.com

In many ways, Final Fantasy XII really established the nature of the series we can still see with newer releases such as Final Fantasy XV today. Flashforward eleven years and the game has finally found its way onto PC with the remaster which originally released on PlayStation 4 last year. And with the PC release comes a myriad of changes and additions that make Final Fantasy XII on PC the best way to experience its story yet.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    FFXV for the pc next month too. My wallet is crying.
    Phry
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    It's nice to see actual classic games being remastered instead of last generation ones. With that said, I still have my Playstation 2 with the original FFXII right here so I will be playing that one instead.

• BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662
    It's nice to see actual classic games being remastered instead of last generation ones. With that said, I still have my Playstation 2 with the original FFXII right here so I will be playing that one instead.
    This is the korean version which is different.
    [Deleted User]Sinsaiinfomatz

• SepellBadeSepellBade Member UncommonPosts: 20
    I own it on the PS4 but only played it for a little while. I should go back and give it another go
    Sinsai
    Bloodaxes said:
    From what i read this version has a job system. If that's the biggest difference then i'm probably OK replaying the original. If there are more significant changes then I can see this version offering a new and fresh experience.

• halfmystichalfmystic Member RarePosts: 535

FF12 counts as a classic now?

FFS.
    edited February 2018

FFS.
    PS2 games are considered classics by SONY themselves, and i think they are old enough to be classics. Last generation people called PS1 games classics. It's all the same thing just a generation later.

Or are you the one determining what is classic and what isn't?  that would be a real FFS moment.
    Phry

Bloodaxes said:
    From what i read this version has a job system. If that's the biggest difference then i'm probably OK replaying the original. If there are more significant changes then I can see this version offering a new and fresh experience.
    Yea it's essentially a job system (Which I'm not 100% fond off but have to try it first) and some balancing issues the base game has.

edited February 2018
    Bloodaxes said:
    Bloodaxes said:
    Yea it's essentially a job system (Which I'm not 100% fond off but have to try it first) and some balancing issues the base game has.
    Looking at the FFXII wiki they did a good number of updates and balancing, it might be worth getting this one on sale.
    http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Final_Fantasy_XII/Version_differences

the auto save feature is definitely welcome.

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041

FFS.
    Well, I am a massive FF fan owning well over 20 titles in the series and I can safely say FF12 is my favourite, closely followed by IX. You might not consider it a classic but I do. It wipes the floor with just about every other JRPG released this generation and the last. Well, except for Valkyrie Chronicles perhaps.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Bloodaxes
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

edited February 2018
    lahnmir said:

Well, I am a massive FF fan owning well over 20 titles in the series and I can safely say FF12 is my favourite, closely followed by IX. You might not consider it a classic but I do. It wipes the floor with just about every other JRPG released this generation and the last. Well, except for Valkyrie Chronicles perhaps.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Gonna agree with ya, but IX is best for me. FF 12 follows :smile:

And valkyria chronicles is amazing! Wish they'd release the others on pc too :(

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    edited February 2018
    Bloodaxes said:
    lahnmir said:

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Gonna agree with ya, but IX is best for me. FF 12 follows :smile:

And valkyria chronicles is amazing! Wish they'd release the others on pc too :(
    I'll admit that its a close call. But that Ivalice setting just can't be beaten. Ohh, and Fran, definitely Fran.

And I am closer to 30 titles then 20 I just realised  :D

Edit. And the worst part? My 2 favourite JRPGs ever aren't even Final Fantasy titles...

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    My third favourite FF game. VI being first, VII is second.

Absolutely love the combat system in this one. That last boss though.. wow, difficulty spike.
    [Deleted User]Phry
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited February 2018
    I'm probably the only weird one who doesn't really have a favorite FF even though I love the series and only likes parts of each one. For example, I loved the idea around FFVIII out of all of them and the story was really good up to a later point. I loved the materia system in VII and the weapon fights as well, but felt the story was eh after the first main part. X I played 150+ hours on blitzball alone. XII was probably the favorite for me in the combat department and activities since it felt almost like an mmorpg just offline. Oh yea, even though I dont really X-2, it still had gun mage which was awesome.
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030

I never finished it the first time around, when I got it on re-release I remembered why. 

FFXI was still big at the time and it was basically an offline worse version of FFXI in terms of combat.

• RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    Didn't and won't buy the game sadly because it has "Denuvo" which means that if 10+ Years later down the road you choose to play the game and the servers go down you maybe unable to ever play the game you purchased again, worse Denuvo causes performance drains if even just by 1% and its worse if your like me who runs 3-4 games at once in max settings on their PC.

I do own the game on console as well as FInal Fantasy series going back over 10+ Years ago, but I will not spend my money on this type of Damaging DRM like Securom.
    bartoni33
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I was giving up on SE,the last 5/6 years have been awful they have been releasing a lot of junk.
    One can simply look at JPN numbers,they love FF more than anyone and Lightning returns for example did poorly even in JPN.When your studios best work has been remastered games,there is something wrong.

However having said this i heard some reputable reviews that said this is more in tune with SE and some of their better work.

Luckily i can just go to twitch and see for myself,maybe there is hope for SE to bounce back.

The reason i still remain skeptical is because they show some effort in a couple games but the actual designs are terrible,just not done in a way that i want to play them.IDk i 'll take a look on twitch and see first hand.

Faves,well easy for me,i loved FF3 and FFX,FFX having the best story i have ever played through and FF3 i love the design and so happens is an identical design to which FFXI was based.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• viddiotviddiot Member UncommonPosts: 14
    Great game. Spent many hours on this back on the PS2.
  • ArskaaaArskaaa Member RarePosts: 1,265
    played FF6-11. tis was my first final fantasy game i hated.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Arskaaa said:

played FF6-11. tis was my first final fantasy game i hated.

Guess what,mine as well.It started out good but turned sort of boring in a short time.The thing i hate actually with most of their games is the memorizing speed presses like up dwn right A D up dwn,just foolishness,reminds me of why i dislike BDO.
    Actually until BDO that sort of design was akin to console gaming,something else i don't like much of.Console gaming has always been rather linear,forced paths,forced cutscenes,you never actually feel like your ROLE playing in a role playing game.

FFX was of course similar in design but the story and characters remained steadfast and brought the whole game together.Which leads to another design i don't care for which is constant switching from one character to another in some totally non related scene elsewhere.

For me they started perfectly with FF3,sub class design ,learning skills and attaining multiple attacks as yo became more skilled,wish they would stick to that type of game design.
    Arskaaa

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363
    one of the most boring FF combat system ever
    Arskaaa
  • HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415
    Ive been really enjoying this having missed it due to not owning a PS2 the first time around.

That being said 2 things I would really have loved if they had added:

1: Ability to "respec", once you chose your dual class, you're stuck permanently. Now, realistically as far as the normal storyline its not hard enough that you can make a bad decision, but when you're trying to do the hardest stuff in the game it definitely can make a difference. IMO what the best way to do it would be to allow you to rechoose, but whatever board you wipe out you lose all the license points you spent in it, and you would have to subsequently regrind those out. This would make it painful enough to not have people doing it willy nilly.

2. Have 2 or 3 slots for gambit "pre saves". One of the best features about this game is also one of the most annoying. Having your normal dungeon running gambits being able to be saved as a preset, so when you're tearing everything apart for a specific boss or specific situation would be really nice instead of just having to "remember" how it was.

Outside of that one REALLY annoying thing (and its very nitpicky, but damned annoying) is not being able to scroll through menu options with your left joystick on a controller, you HAVE to use the gamepad portion for that. What's really insane is in the FFIX port you could use either, but then FFXII they decide to not do it?

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche