Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Value of Player Achievement: Single-player RPGs vs MMORPGs

ConsuetudoConsuetudo Member UncommonPosts: 191
edited February 2018 in The Pub at MMORPG.COM
Generally, single player rpgs are meant to be beaten. You start off humbly, progress through a story with challenges, defeat the final boss, and call it a day (there are exceptions of course but this seems typical), game over.

The multiplayer RPG is decidedly different: while you might start off humbly, etc etc, once you have defeated the final boss, the game is not over. Another person is starting off humbly, another has yet to defeat the final boss, etc. It really doesn't matter then if you have defeated the final boss, as he is never actually beaten: he respawns. In this capacity, the final boss could just as well not exist at all, for he seems utterly unimportant if my killing him has failed to eradicate his menace. He simply comes back, and another kills him. 

Any MMORPG then that calls me a "hero" for defeating a certain boss is lying. I have done nothing. I am not a hero. 

On the contrary, what matters is those little things I do that are stable and persist. When I collect a bunch of flowers and another player buys them, I have mattered. When I mine a node and steal it from another player, there too I have mattered. If we are not in an instance and I kill a boss another player was looking for, there I mattered too: not because I killed the boss, but because I prevented another player from doing so. 

Emotionally, in a philosophical sense, the value of my achievements in an MMORPG is WAY more than that of a single player game. My single player experiences matter to me alone. My multiplayer experiences can affect a world. 

MMOs should reflect this. We as players should build cities, carve out mountains, deforest trees, plant gardens, form factions, lead armies, etc. THAT is the potential this genre has, and which seems utterly neglected. I have been waiting for this for over a decade now and remain disappointed. 

Gdemami

Comments

• BestinnaBestinna Member UncommonPosts: 190
    sure, as long as it is fun
  • ConsuetudoConsuetudo Member UncommonPosts: 191
    Bestinna said:
    sure, as long as it is fun
    I for one don't have much fun in MMORPGs that are really just single player RPGs in disguise. 
  • cjmarshcjmarsh Member UncommonPosts: 299
    MMOs are difficult to design and make for exactly this reason: making meaningful progress persistent. Designing an experience for an individual player is relatively easy in comparison and doesn't always translate well to a multiplayer experience, as the OP states. But designing a persistent world is an enormous challenge due to the amount of data that needs to be stored. Recently, a company called Improbable released a product called SpatialOS that essentially distributes the data in the cloud but there are still many technical issues to work out and they won't be solved any time soon. Carving out mountains, building cities, and leading armies is not just a matter of a developer deciding to do it, it requires significant technological hurdles to be crossed first.
    AlBQuirky
    cjmarsh said:
    MMOs are difficult to design and make for exactly this reason: making meaningful progress persistent. Designing an experience for an individual player is relatively easy in comparison and doesn't always translate well to a multiplayer experience, as the OP states. But designing a persistent world is an enormous challenge due to the amount of data that needs to be stored. Recently, a company called Improbable released a product called SpatialOS that essentially distributes the data in the cloud but there are still many technical issues to work out and they won't be solved any time soon. Carving out mountains, building cities, and leading armies is not just a matter of a developer deciding to do it, it requires significant technological hurdles to be crossed first.
    Perhaps, but why not bring it out in phases? 

For example, I have always had this idea in mind for over a decade now: bring RTS elements to MMORPG PvP. 

Perhaps you store out with a fairly typical world with pre-existing cities and factions etc. As players move up in power, they start to be integrated into the running of the city--let's limit that just now to the military. You have a player up top as general who coordinates the faction. He gives custom quests out that are seen by all the members of that faction, and then they get rewards from the treasury of the faction, which could be comprised of donations etc. Like a commander mode. 

Even that would be a start. You could have a whole game revolving around this single element and that would be, for me, infinitely preferable to everything we have now.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Well OP you actually touched on how little the MP flag is offering to the online mmorpg's.

Sure selling stuff is part of an economy but MOST of these games are eliminating that initial push and care little for new players as every new piece of content alienates old content and basically turns old zones into ghost towns.
    I call this simple connect the dots,LINEAR gaming,imo these developers the Blizzards,the TESO's,the GW2's all know nothing about designing a MMORPG,they are still building SINGLE player games with a login screen.

The game most certainly does END in these lame ass designs because you are no longer playing the entire game and it's world you are usually loot grinding in some INSTANCE fighting that BOSS at the end of the tunnel.

So the EXACT same design as a single player game,only you can look at new content as a new single player game all fancy dancy with a login screen that is there so they can have an ongoing cash shop that would not be viable in a single player game,unless of course going loot boxes.
    Consuetudodeniter

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Wizardry said:
    Well OP you actually touched on how little the MP flag is offering to the online mmorpg's.

Sure selling stuff is part of an economy but MOST of these games are eliminating that initial push and care little for new players as every new piece of content alienates old content and basically turns old zones into ghost towns.
    I call this simple connect the dots,LINEAR gaming,imo these developers the Blizzards,the TESO's,the GW2's all know nothing about designing a MMORPG,they are still building SINGLE player games with a login screen.

The game most certainly does END in these lame ass designs because you are no longer playing the entire game and it's world you are usually loot grinding in some INSTANCE fighting that BOSS at the end of the tunnel.

So the EXACT same design as a single player game,only you can look at new content as a new single player game all fancy dancy with a login screen that is there so they can have an ongoing cash shop that would not be viable in a single player game,unless of course going loot boxes.
    I agree with you utterly.
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    cjmarsh said:

For example, I have always had this idea in mind for over a decade now: bring RTS elements to MMORPG PvP. 

Perhaps you store out with a fairly typical world with pre-existing cities and factions etc. As players move up in power, they start to be integrated into the running of the city--let's limit that just now to the military. You have a player up top as general who coordinates the faction. He gives custom quests out that are seen by all the members of that faction, and then they get rewards from the treasury of the faction, which could be comprised of donations etc. Like a commander mode. 

Even that would be a start. You could have a whole game revolving around this single element and that would be, for me, infinitely preferable to everything we have now.
    Phases according to whose timeline, the content gobbler's or the casual's? Time is the limiting factor, mainly. Some MMOs have gotten around this by allowing players to "purchase with real money" character leveling.

The problem with the idea you have, and I do like the idea, is that not everyone has the time to live in an MMORPG. Personally, I despise MMOs that require me to log in every day instead of helping me want to. I put many hours into EQ because I wanted to, not because I had to. As soon as I logged pout of EQ, I'd be planning my activities for my next log in.

What MMOs bring to the table is that your actions can and will effect other players. Without a mechanic to hinder this, it's very one-sided and not very fun for way too many players. Adding that mechanic kind of defeats the purpose of the game, though.

Also, your opening sentence sat totally wrong with me. Single Player RPGs are all about "the journey" for me, not "beating them", as you feel. That's just a difference in player attitude more than anything else, neither right nor wrong. I still play Morrowind, Skyrim, Fallout 3 and NV to this day, nearly a decade or more later. I do agree, however, that these certainly can (and have) be played as being beaten.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    I am largely unburdened by any need to matter. 
    cjmarshAlBQuirkyPhry

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318
    Generally, single player rpgs are meant to be beaten. You start off humbly, progress through a story with challenges, defeat the final boss, and call it a day (there are exceptions of course but this seems typical), game over.

The multiplayer RPG is decidedly different: while you might start off humbly, etc etc, once you have defeated the final boss, the game is not over. Another person is starting off humbly, another has yet to defeat the final boss, etc. It really doesn't matter then if you have defeated the final boss, as he is never actually beaten: he respawns. In this capacity, the final boss could just as well not exist at all, for he seems utterly unimportant if my killing him has failed to eradicate his menace. He simply comes back, and another kills him. 

Any MMORPG then that calls me a "hero" for defeating a certain boss is lying. I have done nothing. I am not a hero. 

On the contrary, what matters is those little things I do that are stable and persist. When I collect a bunch of flowers and another player buys them, I have mattered. When I mine a node and steal it from another player, there too I have mattered. If we are not in an instance and I kill a boss another player was looking for, there I mattered too: not because I killed the boss, but because I prevented another player from doing so. 

Emotionally, in a philosophical sense, the value of my achievements in an MMORPG is WAY more than that of a single player game. My single player experiences matter to me alone. My multiplayer experiences can affect a world. 

MMOs should reflect this. We as players should build cities, carve out mountains, deforest trees, plant gardens, form factions, lead armies, etc. THAT is the potential this genre has, and which seems utterly neglected. I have been waiting for this for over a decade now and remain disappointed. 

Bingo. But it stopped being about any of this a long time ago. MMO's have great potential. The developers dropped the ball. And it's only getting worse. 
    ConsuetudoAlBQuirkycameltosis
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015

On the contrary, what matters is those little things I do that are stable and persist. When I collect a bunch of flowers and another player buys them, I have mattered.

This is just silliness.

If you enter into the quest and you follow it's rules and you beat the big bad then you are a hero.

What? You don't think you are the hero? Well, according to the "game" you are. Just as much of a hero as if you killed a dragon in skyrim. What? You aren't the hero? Well, in skyrim it does take its sweet time but if anyone witnesses you killing the dragon then you are a hero. It's a downfall of the game.

I get what you are saying, because you affected "a player" you mattered. But here's the thing, that only matters in games where selling items to players truly "matters".

If you don't care about quests and killing the big bad then don't play those games. Problem solved.

Multiplayer experiences only affect the world if the game is set up that way. If it isn't you might as well go and kill more bosses because at least the game will tell you it mattered. To the players, in a theme park world, you only matter as much as other players think you matter.
    Phry
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    edited February 2018
    Sovrath said:

On the contrary, what matters is those little things I do that are stable and persist. When I collect a bunch of flowers and another player buys them, I have mattered.

This is just silliness.

If you enter into the quest and you follow it's rules and you beat the big bad then you are a hero.

What? You don't think you are the hero? Well, according to the "game" you are. Just as much of a hero as if you killed a dragon in skyrim. What? You aren't the hero? Well, in skyrim it does take its sweet time but if anyone witnesses you killing the dragon then you are a hero. It's a downfall of the game.

I get what you are saying, because you affected "a player" you mattered. But here's the thing, that only matters in games where selling items to players truly "matters".

If you don't care about quests and killing the big bad then don't play those games. Problem solved.

Multiplayer experiences only affect the world if the game is set up that way. If it isn't you might as well go and kill more bosses because at least the game will tell you it mattered. To the players, in a theme park world, you only matter as much as other players think you matter.
    Can you direct me to the MMORPGs where doing quests and killing bosses isn't made out to be the highest end?
    Can you direct me to the MMORPGs where doing quests and killing bosses isn't made out to be the highest end?
    Eve Online comes to mind.
    Phry
    cjmarsh said:

In this example exactly one person gets to be the hero. The issue with MMO design is making a game where everybody who plays also gets to be the hero. And I meant "the" hero, not "a" hero, because that distinction, the player feeling like they're on top of the world, is often what reaches the most number of people. Just look at any of the storylines in the most popular MMOs today: the player is inevitably the hero that saves the world single-handedly. Not because it's overly believable with all the other people running around doing the same, but because that's what the majority of players actually want.
    AlBQuirky
  • sunandshadowsunandshadow Member RarePosts: 1,985
    cjmarsh said:
    Eve Online comes to mind.
    In addition to sandboxes, grinders like Dofus often have a minimum amount of quests.  Killing bosses is important, but not because they are evil; because they have rare crafting materials.
    I want to help design and develop a PvE-focused, solo-friendly, sandpark MMO which combines crafting, monster hunting, and story.  So PM me if you are starting one.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,990
    edited February 2018
    I think in MMOs we value more our achievements in relation to other players, not in relation to the game. It is funny that the concept of a "persistent world" has been used on this site to justify calling something a MMO. When the only things that are persistent are player achievements, the world itself is stuck in stasis.

Seems to me OP would be happier in something with stronger sandbox elements, but pure sandbox is not the saviour of MMOs that many here think it to be. For me and I know its a big ask, a sandbox MMO sandwich with theme park meat would be my ideal. 
    Post edited by Scot on
    AlBQuirky
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

Lol .. and when you build a virtual city, it is "real"? Give me a break. Everything is fake in games. There is no real world "value" of gaming "achievements" to me. (Well, i suppose if you are a e-sport pro, you get money from it .. but most people are not).

If you want real achievement, build a career, write a book, be successful in your marriage, raise good kids, ...

Games are just entertainment. Let them "fake" your achievement and enjoy the psychological high for 15 min. This is no different than shouting "yay" seeing the Avengers assembled for the first time on an IMAX screen. 
  • CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223

Lol .. and when you build a virtual city, it is "real"? Give me a break. Everything is fake in games. There is no real world "value" of gaming "achievements" to me. (Well, i suppose if you are a e-sport pro, you get money from it .. but most people are not).

If you want real achievement, build a career, write a book, be successful in your marriage, raise good kids, ...

Games are just entertainment. Let them "fake" your achievement and enjoy the psychological high for 15 min. This is no different than shouting "yay" seeing the Avengers assembled for the first time on an IMAX screen. 
    At the end of the day, all those things you mentioned lead to neurotransmitter release to reward centers in your brain. Some people enjoy setting goals for themselves in a challenging environment. Life is not all about getting money from things to be valuable. Some people value things that only bring happiness to themselves and have no extrinsic benefit. 

There was a study done from Harvard about what makes people the happiest. It isnt money, it isnt material success, it is relationships with people. Things that ultimately just lead to neurotransmitter release in your brain.

Cryomatrix 
    Phry
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914

At the end of the day, all those things you mentioned lead to neurotransmitter release to reward centers in your brain. Some people enjoy setting goals for themselves in a challenging environment. Life is not all about getting money from things to be valuable. Some people value things that only bring happiness to themselves and have no extrinsic benefit. 

There was a study done from Harvard about what makes people the happiest. It isnt money, it isnt material success, it is relationships with people. Things that ultimately just lead to neurotransmitter release in your brain.

Cryomatrix 
    Sooo .. Crack woul;d make everyone happiest , till they came down and realize that now they have no material things left , no relationship left , no job left , no money left .. All the things that actually made them happy
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

Cryomatrix 
    Yeh .. so have a real relationship with your family. It is pretty sad if people have to count on fake achievements to be happy. And if you just want neurotransmitter, shoot yourself up with cocaine. No game can beat that in terms of neurotransmitter.

And no, it is not about money ... career achievements are way beyond that. Look at Elon Musk .. he is doing it to change the world, money is just a by-product.