Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Stardew Valley Multiplayer Update Nearing According to Brief Post - MMORPG.com News

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited February 2018 in News & Features Discussion

imageStardew Valley Multiplayer Update Nearing According to Brief Post - MMORPG.com News

Solo developer Eric Barone has posted a brief update on the Stardew Valley site to let players and fans know that the multiplayer update for the game is nearing completion. In addition, he has written that the beta test for the multiplayer mode will come in the near future.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• Krynt0kKrynt0k Member UncommonPosts: 256
    Whats the point of it being online? I havent ever played this game
  • LawlmonsterLawlmonster Member UncommonPosts: 1,085
    Krynt0k said:
    Whats the point of it being online? I havent ever played this game
    It's an update that adds multiplayer functionality to a singleplayer game, so the point was to allow people to play together. If you're into Harvest Moon or Animal Crossing, it's probably worth checking out. Very charming, great music, pretty relaxing. Probably not for everyone, granted.

I've been looking forward to multiplayer support since it was first mentioned around a year ago, so this is good news.
    Krynt0k

"This is life! We suffer and slave and expire. That's it!" -Bernard Black (Dylan Moran)

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited February 2018
    You can't simply flag players to group after designing the entire game for single player.So unless they are rebuilding the entire game which i highly doubt,this is a dumb idea.Then again 90% of the MMOS are solo games with nothing more than a login screen and FAKE grouping so not like i expect a low budget game to figure it out either.
    I have long stated that login screens are only there to support cash shops,so let's see,i expect cash shops incoming.
    ShaddyDaddyArtaiosTnTizzwingoodAegiris

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• LawlmonsterLawlmonster Member UncommonPosts: 1,085
    Cash shops for Stardew Valley? I'm fairly certain that's not in their plans for the expansion of multiplayer, and I'd be very surprised if they had to redesign much of anything outside of land ownership, screen tracking for players, and the relationship system.

"This is life! We suffer and slave and expire. That's it!" -Bernard Black (Dylan Moran)

• SieyeSieye Member UncommonPosts: 9

Wizardry said:

You can't simply flag players to group after designing the entire game for single player.So unless they are rebuilding the entire game which i highly doubt,this is a dumb idea.Then again 90% of the MMOS are solo games with nothing more than a login screen and FAKE grouping so not like i expect a low budget game to figure it out either.
    I have long stated that login screens are only there to support cash shops,so let's see,i expect cash shops incoming.

Interesting. Why do you think there is cash shops? There hasn't even been any kind of discussion about using cash shops at all.

Tiller
  • GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,395

Wizardry said:

What is wrong with you? Clearly, not your cup of tea, so why comment?
  • chocolate42069chocolate42069 Member UncommonPosts: 28
    I've been playing so much My Time at Portia lately I'm not sure if I can get back into Stardew Valley.
    [Deleted User]
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163

Sieye said:

Wizardry said:

Interesting. Why do you think there is cash shops? There hasn't even been any kind of discussion about using cash shops at all.

Everyone here has cash shop PTSD.
    ShaddyDaddy[Deleted User]Krynt0kwingood
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• ShaddyDaddyShaddyDaddy Member UncommonPosts: 192
    Wizardry said:
    What the hell are you even talking about? Where would you even get the idea of a cash shop from this? Are you going to start saying this indie company will implement loot boxes as well? Someone needs a tin foil hat!
    TillerOrmagodon
  • forcelimaforcelima Member UncommonPosts: 232
    Wtf ffxi was not mentioned in your post wiz. Hell has frozen over!
  • OrmagodonOrmagodon Member UncommonPosts: 32
    Still be awhile yet..
  • SandmanjwSandmanjw Member RarePosts: 527

Wizardry said:

A quote from his site...

Hi everyone,

Just want to give you a quick fill-in on the status of the new update.

As you may know, I’ve always worked solo on Stardew Valley. However, for this multiplayer update I’ve had the help of Tom Coxon (of Chucklefish). He’s done all the network coding to turn Stardew Valley into a multiplayer game… truly an impressive feat, and one that would not be possible without his talent. He deserves a lot of credit for this — Thank you Tom!

Wiz...you need to read at least a little bit about what you want to raise your post count on...If you had you would know that quite a few people that actually own and play this game have been asking for a long while for this.

A mostly single dev has made a nice little gem of a game , and has supported his players and continued to update and expand it all along. Kind of what you are always harping about how it should be with other games and devs.

There are a few Companies, and dev's out there that deserve some respect and support, not just a normal rehash of your same old nonsense , from a burned out whatever you are now. Can not call you a gamer anymore. Guess a forum warrior....Just would be nice if you were an INFORMED warrior for once.

For me, i do own the game and play it from time to time. Multiplayer is not my thing much anymore, but still like to have Dev's continue to support and work on their games after release, so I for one am glad to support this game.
    Krynt0k
  • Mange1Mange1 Member UncommonPosts: 266
    ^ needs to learn the basics of quoting, use "..."

But I'm excited to see this update as well, seems like streamers will.have a blast on this. I haven't played harvest moon games since the final PlayStation one which I loved.
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    @Mange1 if you'd clicked through to the whole article, there was a beefy quote from that exact letter AND a link to it. ;) 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    It's not a "Co-OP" your SP campaign type of MP from what I know, it is yet a MP mode because obviously the story doesn't work for multiple people otherwise unless they always join the same person's save (like the forest and so).
  • Mange1Mange1 Member UncommonPosts: 266

SBFord said:

@Mange1 if you'd clicked through to the whole article, there was a beefy quote from that exact letter AND a link to it. ;) 

Was referring to the post above mines, not your article lol
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    Wizardry spouting more idiocy.....

I haven't played this but the multiplayer patch might intrigue me enough to check it out with my wife and daughter (they're both animal cross fanatics)