Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sources Claim Disney Has Reached Out to Ubisoft & Activision About Star Wars Games - Star Wars: Batt

Comments

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Disney should just open there own video game development studio i mean money isn’t an issue right?
    Didn't they have their own and closed it?  They created Pirates of the Caribbean Online and Club Penguin games. 
    Disney purchased Club Penguin from a small developer up here in Kelowna BC. I think they paid around 348 million for it if my memory serves me right.  Don't know about Pirates of the Caribbean Online.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    I'd be okay with Ubisoft. They certainly have their major flaws, but at least they aren't entirely risk averse. Namely, a single player Star Wars game could have actually seen the light of day under Ubisoft.
    rodingo
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003
    gervaise1 said:

The simple reality here is of course they will find an alternative studio. <snip>
    Name one? That will pay Disney mega-$$$ for the IP.

OK the thread is discussing Activision - can't see it happening but I suppose that is one.
    UbiSoft - can't see it happening but I suppose that is two.
    Disney - oh wait they are allowed to develop SW games as it is.

Any more? Remember they have to be able to 1. Pay disney lots of $$$$ 2. Develop a major game.

Now that we've seen that Electronic Arts have badly bitten off more than they could chew
    Just because they made a questionable decision about monetization doesn't mean they have bit off more than they could chew.

I'm fairly certain that EA is very capable of making a Star Wars game.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    gervaise1 said:

The simple reality here is of course they will find an alternative studio. <snip>
    Name one? That will pay Disney mega-$$$ for the IP.

OK the thread is discussing Activision - can't see it happening but I suppose that is one.
    UbiSoft - can't see it happening but I suppose that is two.
    Disney - oh wait they are allowed to develop SW games as it is.

Any more? Remember they have to be able to 1. Pay disney lots of $$$$ 2. Develop a major game.
    There are tons of gaming studios, it just depends on the contract. 

EA paid for an exclusive license until 2023, as well as a separate license for SW:TOR. We don't know any more than that. They might have paid all the money upfront, in which case you a right, there are very few companies that would be able to compete. They might be paying on a yearly basis, in which case more companies could afford that. They might be paying using some sort of revenue sharing, in which case even more companies can afford that. 

Removing the license from EA does not mean that Disney automatically have to hand out another exclusive license. 

They could hand out licenses on a game-by-game basis. They could charge upfront, or go for profit sharing, or a combination of both. As Disney own the IP, they can also choose how involved they get with development, so they can retain some quality control to prevent the IP being tarnished. 

Would going this route earn as much money as the exclusive license with EA? That's the big question for Disney. From their point of view, its just very easy to sell the license once and get in big money. No hassle, no fuss. But, if they were willing to put in some proper effort, I'm sure they could earn similar amounts of money but could also actively enhance the IP. 

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    edited February 2018
    Well they can't do a worse job than EA has.  I say get rid of the exclusive contracts and let them fight each other to earn game contracts.
    Grakulen said:

Bethesda, Bethesda, Bethesda. That's what I want to hear.

Not gonna happen.
    Is that because they are like Blizzard and only make games with their own IPs?  That's the smart way to go for top developers.  Why pay another company and have to pass everything through a review process.
    Gorwe said:
    SBFord said:
    You know...I loved this article. 

https://www.destructoid.com/can-star-wars-just-stop-for-a-little-bit--486868.phtml

I really love Star Wars, don't get me wrong. But it's like there's this massive Star Wars overload that's making me less and less interested. Too many movies. Too many prequels. Too many games. Too many mobile apps. Too many...too much...All SW all the time. 

I need a break, though I doubt one's incoming.

To quote the article:

Disney has had a problem recently of not knowing when to stop with their franchises. They'll find something that's a success and milk it for all it's worth. In the span of three years since the release of The Force Awakens we've had Rogue One and The Last Jedi premiere with Solo coming out in May, not to mention Star Wars Rebels concluding its four season run in March. So that's four Star Wars movies and an animated series in three years, compared to the prequel trilogy's three movies and a Cartoon Network animated series that tied in to the trilogy over the span of seven years. Not only that, but Disney has announced that Rian Johnson will be making his own trilogythe creators of Game of Thrones will work on another trilogy, the spin offs will most likely continue with a rumored Boba Fett movie, and Disney has plans for several new Star Wars shows to most likely air on their upcoming streaming service. 

So in total we have nine upcoming movies, at least two spin-offs, several TV shows, and that's just of what we know. There may, and most likely will be, more projects announced in the coming months to capitalize on the franchise's recent resurgence. You may have noticed that I've neglected to talk about Star Wars video games and books, but that's for a good reason. In the realm of video games, Star Wars never really went away. Gamers have had classic Star Wars games on most major consoles, whether it was piloting a snowspeeder on Hoth in Shadow of the Empire, platforming on the SNES trilogy, shooting your way to galactic conquest in Battlefront 2 (the good one), or being an action badass with OP force powers in The Force UnleashedStar Wars found a home with gamers and has always had a home there, so more Star Wars video games don't surprise me at all. I mean, it is surprising that they've morphed into whatever the hell Battlefront 2 was, but that's a whole other topic. 
    Definitely. At this point they are out marvelling Marvel with their hectic release schedule lol.
    I don't think the problem is their film release schedule, it's with the quality of the films.  Right now they try to tie everything in to the existing films rather than branch out to other time periods or places.  That stymies creativity big time.

I didn't like what Rian Johnson did with TLJ, but if he's given his own corner of the world that barely touches on previous films, I say let him go for it.  I think Abrams and company screwed themselves by making the end of ROTJ pointless and putting the renamed empire back on top.
    edited February 2018
    ugh - why can't i delete posts - duplicate due to weird and unresponsive lag
  • RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607
    Aside from SWTOR, EA hasn't made a new SW game that I've been remotely interested in in years.  Even if EA wasn't screwing the brand up with its wrongheaded microtransactions, I'd like for another company to make a SW game that, you know, has some actual content in it.
  • MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555
    I've been seeing people talk about Star Wars fatigue a lot lately, but I find the notion bizarre right now. I've been waiting for new Star Wars stuff since not long after I graduated high school. For me, this is just the beginning and I'm excited for a new age of Star Wars films and digital media. Other than Battlefront, there really haven't been any Star Wars games for a long time. We're a far cry from the heyday of LucasArts and all the great Star Wars games from the 90's and early 2000's.

Disney wiped the slate clean with the Expanded Universe and has only just begun to fill things back out with shows like Star Wars Rebels, new books and comics. Games are lagged behind all of that, mostly due to whatever is going on at EA. I don't really care who makes Star Wars games as long as quality is maintained.

I grew up playing tons of Star Wars games, watching the films, and reading countless Star Wars books. It's been a long time since the universe has felt as alive as it did back then and as far as I'm concerned we're making up for lost time now. I'm not even remotely feeling Star Wars fatigue.
    Asm0deusOctagon7711Robsolfhallucigenocide
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I love more Star Wars stuff.  But I have to take the good with the bad.  Love seeing more movies and hope to see more TV shows and mini-series one day, don't like characters that I've followed since the first Star Wars movie getting killed like it's a 'The Sopranos' series.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    Arskaaa said:

elder scroll style star wars would be interesting.
    There already is one, it's called Star Wars The Old Republic lol.
    Gorwecameltosis
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555
    Gorwe said:
    MikeB said:
    I've been seeing people talk about Star Wars fatigue a lot lately, but I find the notion bizarre right now. I've been waiting for new Star Wars stuff since not long after I graduated high school. For me, this is just the beginning and I'm excited for a new age of Star Wars films and digital media. Other than Battlefront, there really haven't been any Star Wars games for a long time. We're a far cry from the heyday of LucasArts and all the great Star Wars games from the 90's and early 2000's.

Disney wiped the slate clean with the Expanded Universe and has only just begun to fill things back out with shows like Star Wars Rebels, new books and comics. Games are lagged behind all of that, mostly due to whatever is going on at EA. I don't really care who makes Star Wars games as long as quality is maintained.

I grew up playing tons of Star Wars games, watching the films, and reading countless Star Wars books. It's been a long time since the universe has felt as alive as it did back then and as far as I'm concerned we're making up for lost time now. I'm not even remotely feeling Star Wars fatigue.
    It'd be nice to explore from where this exhaustion comes. I suspect it's due to information overload. You've social networks, mobile games, MOBAs and co, other games, sports and all the other common real life stuff. Even at time of release of Revenge, the first half was 20% as strong as it is today(if 20%!). So a person gets exhausted by even things that wouldn't otherwise annoy him. Shortened attention span and such. Does this sound plausible enough to you?
    Hard to say. Disney is pretty hardcore with the marketing, so it's definitely a possibility. I mean, I have Star Wars branded bananas here at home and not because I was looking for them, but because Star Wars is just everywhere. Maybe a disconnect between strictly film fans and EU fans for the lack of a better term? I feel that many people have a much narrower understanding of the Star Wars mythos because most fans only consume it through the films. The EU (comics, books, shows, games, etc.) really expanded on what stories told in the Star Wars universe could be like and we haven't even really scratched the surface of that in the Disney era. There's been some excellent books and comics so far, but the films and games have really just begun exploring the possibilities.

I don't know. Maybe some see Disney squeezing blood from a stone. Another movie? Another game? How much can you possibly do with Star Wars? Anyone who has enjoyed the old (and new!) EU will tell you: quite a lot, actually!

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Never saw the big deal with Star Wars anyways.  If any Harrison Ford led flick deserved such a following, it was Blade Runner. #yesisaidit #suckit

• LustsLusts Member RarePosts: 205

I'd rather see the Star Wars franchise go to an indie developer. If you give an indie developer such an opportunity, the amount of love that would be poured into developing that game would be huge.
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    edited February 2018
    Grakulen said:

Not gonna happen.
    Is that because they are like Blizzard and only make games with their own IPs?  That's the smart way to go for top developers.  Why pay another company and have to pass everything through a review process.
    Destiny. Bungee.
    [Deleted User]
    Tiller said:
    Arskaaa said:

elder scroll style star wars would be interesting.
    There already is one, it's called Star Wars The Old Republic lol.
    swtor is waaay too linear, in quests and environments, to be compared with elder scrolls
    cameltosis
    gervaise1 said:
    Grakulen said:

Not gonna happen.
    Destiny. Bungee.
    ?

Blizzard has nothing to do with destiny 2 other than allowing it in their launcher
  • GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,791
    REd-Wind said:
    Disney killed the expanded universe right when I was about to delve into it, I hope this shity loot box company hits them where it hurts and starts creating games based on the expanded universe because I'll play no matter the loot boxes and you guys know you will too!
    If they go with loot boxes, count me OUT. I am one of the biggest Star Wars freaks out there and love everything Star Wars. BUT, I hate loot boxes and I hate microtransactions. Put those in my fav genre and I will walk. That is a promise.

Let's party like it is 1863!

• GitmixGitmix Member UncommonPosts: 605
    edited February 2018
    Awesome ! We clearly need more feminism and social justice warfare in our entertainment!
    EA is obviously too busy pushing gambling on kids to be effective at propagating Disney's political agenda. Off with their heads !

Fuck off, Disney! You already ruined Star Wars with your political drivel, that's enough damage for one generation. 

AeanderAllerleirauhGdemami
    Torval said:
    gervaise1 said:
    Grakulen said:

Not gonna happen.
    Destiny. Bungee.
    ?

Blizzard has nothing to do with destiny 2 other than allowing it in their launcher
    You're right. It's not just Blizzard. It's Activision that drove the mutually beneficial partnership. Activision-Blizzard was more than happy to have Destiny 2 on board because that game, along with CoD:WWII were largely responsible for carrying the bottom line. It's all in the financial report news article right here on MMO.
    I'm not sure Blizzard loves the reputation Destiny has in terms of expansions coming out months after release or locking out vanilla content when the expac hit (which I believe they fixed).  I don't believe Blizzard would design content releases the way they've been handled in Destiny
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    edited February 2018
    gervaise1 said:
    Grakulen said:

Not gonna happen.
    Destiny. Bungee.
    ?

Not so. Rather than create their own IP Activision Blizzard opted instead to pay Bungee. One report said c. $125M for Destiny 1 but there were also, apparently, performance criteria as wll plus the contract was extended out to 4 games so what the final sum will be - other than substantial - is probably unknown.

That is a little bit more than simply "allowing it in their launcher". As well as pointing out that - in the case of Destiny - Activision Blizzard are prepared to produce games that do not use their IP.
    [Deleted User]ConstantineMerus
    edited February 2018
    gervaise1 said:
    gervaise1 said:
    Grakulen said:

Not gonna happen.
    Destiny. Bungee.
    ?

Not so. Rather than create their own IP Activision Blizzard opted instead to pay Bungee. One report said c. $125M for Destiny 1 but there were also, apparently, performance criteria as wll plus the contract was extended out to 4 games so what the final sum will be - other than substantial - is probably unknown.

That is a little bit more than simply "allowing it in their launcher". As well as pointing out that - in the case of Destiny - Activision Blizzard are prepared to produce games that do not use their IP.
    Blizzard is not Activision/Blizzard.  They pretty much have free reign to develop their games but Activision probably pressured them to add Destiny 2.

The point is that Blizzard does not work on Destiny 2, like at all.  It's a different developer studio.  Blizzard learned their lesson after working with DC in the 90's.  That was part of why they decided using the Warhammer license would cause problems.  GW didn't drop Blizzard, they never consumated a deal
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    Gitmix said:
    Awesome ! We clearly need more feminism and social justice warfare in our entertainment!
    EA is obviously too busy pushing gambling on kids to be effective at propagating Disney's political agenda. Off with their heads !

Fuck off, Disney! You already ruined Star Wars with your political drivel, that's enough damage for one generation. 

Nothing to do with gaming. Go ahead and step down now, no one here cares.
    [Deleted User]AeanderGitmixAllerleirauhRobsolf
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited February 2018
    Now that I think about it, why wouldn't they just go to SE? They already partner with them for the KH series, so they could just do that with SW too. DUDE! STAR WARS MEETS FINAL FANTASY?!?!?!? Star Fantasy?!?! Darth Vader vs Sephiroth.....