Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sources Claim Disney Has Reached Out to Ubisoft & Activision About Star Wars Games - Star Wars: Batt

Comments

• neelneel Member UncommonPosts: 9
    Disney need to make this happen and pull the license from EA like Vader force choking an imperial office

ttp://medias.luna-atra.fr/gw2/char_tool/CT_imageGenerator.php?pseudo=Re'ir&lang=EN&code=TSwtLDMsLSwyLC0sMyw5LDE2LDE3LDE4LC0sOSwzNiw1OCw2Miw2Ng%3D%3D

• AriesTigerAriesTiger Member UncommonPosts: 444
    Let's be frank and honest here. EA shareholders/stockholders gonna lose out big on this. That's a good thing.
  • GrakulenGrakulen Staff WriterMMORPG.COM Staff LegendaryPosts: 894

Bethesda, Bethesda, Bethesda. That's what I want to hear.

Not gonna happen.
    AriesTigercjmarshMrMelGibson
  • GrakulenGrakulen Staff WriterMMORPG.COM Staff LegendaryPosts: 894

Remember EA owns the gaming rights through 2023 and any deal would need their approval since the deal that was signed is an exclusivity deal.  Money talks though so who knows.  EA has recently made the following comment regarding Star Wars games.

"That’s not all we have in production right now. Our partners at Respawn Entertainment are making their own 3rd person action adventure game, one that features a different style of gameplay and takes place in a different timeline we have yet to explore with our EA Star Wars titles. And we’re early in pre-production on some other projects we think you’re going to be excited about as well."

There is also this:
    https://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/respawn-star-wars-game-release-window/

I'm amazed no one else mentioned this before now.

I'm sure Disney could find "cause" to break that contract if needed. That said I'm sure there would be some type of severance payment and it would be messy.
    AriesTigerSovrath[Deleted User]
    Grakulen said:

Not gonna happen.
    Uber sad uber face. :( lol
    edited February 2018
    Grakulen said:

Remember EA owns the gaming rights through 2023 and any deal would need their approval since the deal that was signed is an exclusivity deal.  Money talks though so who knows.  EA has recently made the following comment regarding Star Wars games.

"That’s not all we have in production right now. Our partners at Respawn Entertainment are making their own 3rd person action adventure game, one that features a different style of gameplay and takes place in a different timeline we have yet to explore with our EA Star Wars titles. And we’re early in pre-production on some other projects we think you’re going to be excited about as well."

There is also this:

I'm sure Disney could find "cause" to break that contract if needed. That said I'm sure there would be some type of severance payment and it would be messy.

Let the mess begin! Ah hahaha.

(Soccer mom eyeing up her two kids before letting them loose at grannies and then doing the peace sign at her eyes to their eyes.)
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,125
    Bring back Lucas Arts!
    AriesTiger
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• RolanStormRolanStorm Member UncommonPosts: 198

That would be exquisite.
    AriesTiger
  • RolanStormRolanStorm Member UncommonPosts: 198

Azmodeus said:

Please give us a sandbox MMO! SWG 2 anyone? :)

Rather 'SWG 2 everyone'. ;)
    AriesTiger
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    Grakulen said:

There is also this:

Oh I bet there is a clause that allows them to do it. But "yeah" EA would get some sort of payout.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 

Azmodeus said:

Just as long as my Jedi doesn't look like he's walking down the Ru Paul runway as a model. :O
  • TrionicusTrionicus Member UncommonPosts: 498
    I'm pretty sure a company the size of Disney can get out any agreement. That said, a witcher 3 quality starwars game sounds incredibly appealing.
    cjmarsh
  • OldKingLogOldKingLog Member RarePosts: 555
    Grakulen said:

There is also this:

The simple reality here is of course they will find an alternative studio. I find it extremely naive that whatever the cost of getting out of bed with EA would be insurmountable for Disney would be prohibitively expensive is absolutely laughable considering the forecast of future SW profits.
    AriesTiger
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,125
    Grakulen said:

There is also this:

The simple reality here is of course they will find an alternative studio. I find it extremely naive that whatever the cost of getting out of bed with EA would be insurmountable for Disney would be prohibitively expensive is absolutely laughable considering the forecast of future SW profits.
    Feeling could be mutual?
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Tekaelon said:

EA has demonstrated that it has NO IDEA how to make quality games with the Star Wars franchise. Nothing but formulaic games from EA.

NOBODY has,not one single quality space/sci fi game out there,so think anyone else will do it better is a far stretch of imagination.
    I explained this in detail many years ago why,i'll try again.
    Sci-Fi space games need to be several games in one.So we struggle to find one good AAA title that is just a grounded game with Fantasy elements,now try to imagine adding other planets,ships that fly to other planets,each planet with it's own culture/lore technology,crafting,language etc etc.

All we get is typical pew pew with some star textures and some rocks flying around in fake space maps with very limited physics.
    A perfect example is Eve,many wanted it to be a full game instead of just pew pew in space with some boxes to check off and although CCP had a ton of money,refused to do it.After several years the decided to increment the idea,let's try Dust and some other ideas to further monetize the whole structure and even then the whole sum of it all would still NOT be a AAA space game.

Then we need to touch on "content",scripted work for all the planets and invasions and defense's,ground forces and then make it all render and work without lagging everyone's machine.

So you know what to expect,similar to SWTOR,more linear meaningless questing,linear zones ,connect the dots with a Star Wars title.Everything a single player game would be but nothing like a MMO should be.

There has only been 3-4 develoeprs in the history of gaming understand how to make a real true MMO/rpg type game,NO Blizzard/Activision is not one of them and neither is Bethesda.SOE no longer in business,Square Enix now copying Blizzard's structure and Ultima whom has gone awol ,so do not expect anything great to come of the next Star Wars MMO if and when it happens.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919

The simple reality here is of course they will find an alternative studio. <snip>
    Name one? That will pay Disney mega-$$$ for the IP.

OK the thread is discussing Activision - can't see it happening but I suppose that is one.
    UbiSoft - can't see it happening but I suppose that is two.
    Disney - oh wait they are allowed to develop SW games as it is.

Any more? Remember they have to be able to 1. Pay disney lots of $$$$ 2. Develop a major game.
  • HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    Rumor is Rian is going to be gone also so maybe Disney wants a clean sweep after last year' misses.
    Does the deal that Disney have with EA allow another company (other than Disney) to develop a SW game.

Develop not release / sell / operate.

If so then then given how long it would take to
    a) agree a deal for the IP
    b) develop a game

then Disney exploring the field now would make sense. As noted I don't know.
  • cjmarshcjmarsh Member UncommonPosts: 299

Azmodeus said:

You know, I totally forgot about SWG. Screw SWTOR, give me a new SWG any day.
  • acidbloodacidblood Member RarePosts: 878
    edited February 2018

Phry said:

I am not surprised that they are unhappy with EA about the IP, but its somewhat laughable that they might consider Activision or Ubisoft as being a 'safer' pair of hands for it rather than just 'more of the same'. Not really sure who i would consider to be a better developer for a future Starwars game, so much would depend on what type of game they are looking to be made, whether its 4X or Single or Multiplayer RPG etc. Honestly at this point i would be more than happy to see a single player game being made using the Starwars IP, another Battlefront type of game using it would be extremely disappointing.

Agreed, giving exclusive rights to a single studio just seems like a bad idea at this point, especially compared to what could be:
    KOTOR 3 from Obsidian?
    A fighting game from Arc System Works?
    An RTS from Relic (in the DOW1 / CoH1 style)?
    A Jedi Knight game from Machine Games?
    A squad tactics (e.g. XCOM) style game from Firaxis?
    An X-Wing / Tie-Fighter game from ... whoever is good at that these days?
    Edit: An APRG from Crate Entertainment? or Blizzard?
    Edit: Star Wars Dark Souls by FromSoftware? or Team Ninja?
    Maybe even let some indie studios have a shot?

(Oh, and whatever they decide, can it please be something that reaches a bit beyond the tiny and tired 'Skywalker' years?)
    Post edited by acidblood on
    OldKingLog
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    I want Blizzard to get their hands on the IP so I'm routing for Activision. Blizzard usually get things right and tend to never stop trying to fix something if they get it wrong.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960

I see your Bethesda, and raise you an Obsidian. After all, they're the company which made the only decent FPS-style Fallout game.

I'd also like to see Raven Software given a shot at things again. Jedi Academy is one of my favorite Star Wars games of all time.

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• ArskaaaArskaaa Member RarePosts: 1,265

elder scroll style star wars would be interesting.
    Octagon7711
  • OldKingLogOldKingLog Member RarePosts: 555
    edited February 2018
    gervaise1 said:

The simple reality here is of course they will find an alternative studio. <snip>

OK the thread is discussing Activision - can't see it happening but I suppose that is one.

Any more? Remember they have to be able to 1. Pay disney lots of $$$$ 2. Develop a major game.
    There is absolutely zero shortage of game studios willing and able to create the next Star Wars game. You are falling into the same trap that Disney themselves did where it was believed that exclusivity would foster the best return on investment.

Now that we've seen that Electronic Arts have badly bitten off more than they could chew do you seriously think that Disney will make the same mistake of rewarding a single publisher with exclusive game making rights again?

*Whoops addendum* Disney will make ridiculous profits off of their films.

Regardless of how awful they happen to be. Yes sorry but I am not a fan of the new films at all.

They have absolutely zero reason to care what happens in the gaming world, other than how it will effect their film profits. They would be completely insane to price the license of their games  above a reasonable price  for a gaming studio.
    gervaise1 said:

There is absolutely zero shortage of game studios willing and able to create the next Star Wars game. You are falling into the same trap that Disney themselves did where it was believed that exclusivity would foster the best return on investment.

Now that we've seen that Electronic Arts have badly bitten off more than they could chew do you seriously think that Disney will make the same mistake of rewarding a single publisher with exclusive game making rights again?
    Yes.

First there is no evidence - based on EA's recent results - that they have bitten off more than they can chew.

Second there may be no shortage of game studios who would like to make a SW game but there are a shortage of game studios who are able to pay Disney lots of money - up front - to have access to the IP. There simply are not that many studios will millions of dollars to spare. If you think there are name them.

Return on investment - from Disney's perspective - is different from (in this case) EA's. 

Yes there is a link between sales and the value of an IP but an IP only does so much for a game. It sells the first few million or whatever copies and means that a publisher can spend less on marketing. After that though its up to how good the game is. Disney's (game) interest is all front loaded; a publisher's is cradle to grave.

Come 2023 or whenever Disney will act to maximise how much money they get from the IP. As before they will have a choice: bird in the hand or two in the bush.

If there are many companies - as you suggest - all wanting to develop a SW game but none (I suggest) are able to pay Disney the $$$ upfront they want their pitch will be "trust us we will make a really great game and your cut of the profits will be huge".

The EA exclusive deal approach is: here's a sack of money.

Would you take the promise or the sack? 

When they did a deal with EA they took the sack. They have their money irrespective of how well EA do. Indeed your suggestion that "EA have bitten off more than they can chew" supports Disney's approach. Its safe.