Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What Would a Star Wars Activision Game Look Like? - Garrett Fuller - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited February 2018 in News & Features Discussion

imageWhat Would a Star Wars Activision Game Look Like? - Garrett Fuller - MMORPG.com

There have been rumors flying about Disney possibly pulling their contract with EA lately after much of the controversy with Star Wars Battlefront 2. The loot crate debacle continues to plague the game world and EA could be seeing a huge hit from one of their top franchises. So, let’s say for example, that Disney pulls their license from EA within the next year, what does that mean for Star Wars games?

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• cjmarshcjmarsh Member UncommonPosts: 299
    SWTOR 2 by Activision please, and thank you.
    KalebGraysonRolanStormAlomarDauzqulMrMelGibsonScotMitara
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    Activision and Blizzard are part of the same company, so:

World of Star Wars and Luke Skywalker to Overwatch!
    KalebGraysonDaikuruThupliHeretiqueMrMelGibsonSpottyGekkoJeroKaneScot[Deleted User]

• cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,707
    I'm not the biggest fan of Activision, so my guess is that an Activision SW game would look very similar to an EA SW game, just slightly higher quality and slightly better monetisation. It would almost certainly be a shooter or highly action orientated, so there is almost no chance that we'd see an RPG. 

If it was an Activision / Blizzard game.....we'd have to wait and see what trends were about when they get the license so we can see what they'd copy. Blizzard are the kings of taking other peoples ideas, polishing them and making them accessible to the public. They do tend to prefer their own IPs though, so I expect this is unlikely. 

Out of the big publishers, I'd much prefer to see Ubisoft get the license. Sure, their games are often buggy and their monetisation is all over the place, but at least they seem to be trying to produce good games! They do experiment with ideas and take risks so I think we'd see a more diverse range of games and we might finally see a good open world RPG set in the Star Wars universe. 

What would happen to TOR?

I hope it dies a quick death. It was an awful game at launch and only got worse over time. It only serves one small niche - people who love story - but yet it ties up the MMO license, preventing all other playstyles from being able to enjoy the Star Wars setting in an MMO. Even the niche it serves would be better off in a single player SW RPG, so yeh, kill off TOR and allow someone talented to build a new MMO. 
    MrMelGibsonGorwepsychosiz1KalebGraysonDvoraHatefullinfomatzSpottyGekkowandericaAthono
  • Siris23Siris23 Member UncommonPosts: 388
    edited February 2018

Vrika said:

Activision and Blizzard are part of the same company, so:

World of Star Wars and Luke Skywalker to Overwatch!

I doubt they'd put Luke in Overwatch, but HOTS hell yeah. Edit: they could do a Genji skin with lightsabers in OW :)
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited February 2018
    I have not seen a single SW game that i really enjoyed or wanted to finish.

So imo all of them and will continue be nothing more than devs/games cashing in on the IP brand.

EA's had the supposed 200 mil budget and imo was half done and not even done well,so to get it up to AAA standards,what would it takes 5..6..7 hundred million?
    Well Zeni/Bethesda don't have that kind of money,if memory serves me looking way way back,they only did their TESO because they at that time had i think  350 million invested from outside or was some large number like that.At the time no definitive answers,just some talk of using it to make a few games.Point being they are not ramping up out of their own pocket,Activision however would..might.
    Does Activision really want to get into a big budget game that competes against their portfolio?Wouldn't be smart unless like the rest,simply cashing in on the brand name and won't be a serious effort.

So what does it mean,just another half assed game with a Star Wars title on it.I have already pretty much given up any hope of a good SW game or even a good space/sci fi game,they always come out 1/4 or 1/3 of a game and the little done is not even good enough.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I think they would do something crazy like focus on the mobile gaming and virtual reality market.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    if disney did pull the contrat and pass it to activision it would not improve anything, looks like most here forget the D3 problems with his whole RLmarket.

at the best closing the old republic would be a good thing
    MrMelGibson
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • neelneel Member UncommonPosts: 9
    Having played wow (although I don’t plate anymore)and the way they have done lore this is something I would love to see and needs to happen. Ea/BioWare have truly messed up swtor imo. And yes I still play swtor with good friends. But the massive lack of real content that has not been put out shows they don’t know what their doing. Older mmos like eq/eq2, wow, hell even Age of Conan have smaller teams and yet some how put expansion and content out. So please Disney give the license to someone else that will do it justice and bring the player base back. It’s Star Wars the fan base is huge and it sad to see what’s not being done to swtor which is in need of some masses love.
    KalebGrayson

ttp://medias.luna-atra.fr/gw2/char_tool/CT_imageGenerator.php?pseudo=Re'ir&lang=EN&code=TSwtLDMsLSwyLC0sMyw5LDE2LDE3LDE4LC0sOSwzNiw1OCw2Miw2Ng%3D%3D

• kabitoshinkabitoshin Member UncommonPosts: 854
    Probably some type of action adventure game like force unleashed. I wouldn't except a huge open world story heavy rpg from them.
    bartoni33MrMelGibson
  • SaltyDog79SaltyDog79 Member UncommonPosts: 119
    At this point I'd just be happy to see someone else take a crack at making a decent Star Wars game.

I have no love for Ubisoft or Activision but EA has proven they can't do it. So *shrug* why not give them a shot?
    cjmarshKalebGraysonRolanStormAlomarbartoni33tirwenMitara
  • deniterdeniter Member RarePosts: 1,430
    This is not the game you're looking for..

Kuvahaun tulos haulle this is not the game youre looking for
    PhryKalebGraysonRolanStormDaikuruAlomarZenerenSamhaelinfomatzMrMelGibsonMirandeland 3 others.
  • CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    Give the IP and a bunch of money to Grind Gear Games (they make Path of Exile). Yes, I'm a huge homer, but if you give em money, I think they'll turn it to gold. But that's homerism 101 for you guys. 

I love Path of Exile, albeit, I'm blowing my money in Project Entropia at the moment. 

Sincerely, 

Cryomatrix
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    I guess Bungie would start making star wars cosmetics for destiny.
    RolanStormDaikuruScot
  • NibsNibs Member UncommonPosts: 287
    The best option, IMHO, would be to NOT sell an exclusive license to a single publisher. It stifles competition.
    KalebGraysonAlomarinfomatzGorweMrMelGibsontirwenTacticalZombehScot
  • danwest58danwest58 Member RarePosts: 2,012
    Unless Blizzard took the Star Wars IP and made Star Wars Galaxies 2 Pre-CU then I wouldnt be interested. I am not into the Themepark MMORPGs anymore. Yea Classic WOW will be fun but thats really it for my Themepark MMORPG enjoyment really. I want more of a SWG like game again and if they did that I would play in a heartbeat. Even if that meant some changes to how classes played, having some instances type of content a long with a massive open world. If they are just making SWTOR 2 no thanks Disney can keep EA running SWTOR for that group of players.
    AlomarHatefullTheScavenger
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Give the IP and a bunch of money to Grind Gear Games (they make Path of Exile). Yes, I'm a huge homer, but if you give em money, I think they'll turn it to gold. But that's homerism 101 for you guys. 

I love Path of Exile, albeit, I'm blowing my money in Project Entropia at the moment. 

Sincerely, 

Cryomatrix
    From Disney's point of view though the idea is that e.g. Grind Gear Games would give Disney a ton of money - or Activision or UbisSoft etc. As in meag-millions.

Grind Gear (or Activision etc.) would then have to find the big budget needed to justify paying Disney a huge sum. Which would leave them looking to have a loot box on every corner, so to speak, in order to have even a remote chance of recovering the cost.

Oh no better start the petition now to strip the IP from Grind Gear - or Activision or whoever! So I don't see Activision being remotely interested. And the fact that Bungee - not Activision - developed Destiny speaks volumes as well.
  • AlpiusAlpius Member UncommonPosts: 247
    i think disney should find the original Bioware team and buy them all up and have them come out with an actual RPG. even if its not kotor 3, itll be better than most others will end up making.
    RolanStormAlomarbartoni33infomatzGorwe
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Nibs said:
    The best option, IMHO, would be to NOT sell an exclusive license to a single publisher. It stifles competition.
    There is another company that can develop SW games besides EA. They have made quite a few as well although probably not exactly the replacements that some would be hoping for! 

http://lol.disney.com/star-wars-games

As to games being better or worse - there are examples that cut both ways. And this is a Disney IP, they can decide what works best for them. Would you suggest that Blizzard / Zenimax / EA allowed other publishers to create WoW / Elder Scrolls / Battlefield games? 

• TofkeTofke Member UncommonPosts: 342
    Probably something uninspired with loot boxes... so, not much different.
    To think the CoD machine would do it better would be naive. :>
    HatefullTacticalZombeh
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    I don't really see Activision as being any better, or worse for that matter than EA, i really would not trust them with the Starwars IP in any case, and after seeing how Bungle managed to trash their own IP with Destiny 2, i really wouldn't want them anywhere near the Starwars IP  :s
    bartoni33TacticalZombeh
  • KalebGraysonKalebGrayson Member RarePosts: 430
    I would love to see Blizzard take over SWToR. Update the character models, make dual specing, and regular content updates? Yeah, sign me up!
  • AriesTigerAriesTiger Member UncommonPosts: 444
    I really love SWTOR and Star Wars has some of the most awesome and ingenius lore imho. Star Trek seems to be like so straight forward, what you would expect to get from a tabletop D&D game. A million derivatives of some base thing. Star Wars is fresh in its lore and multitude of planets and places and cultures and...ok I'm done no more fan-boying. :P lol
    Mitara
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    I would love to see Blizzard take over SWToR. Update the character models, make dual specing, and regular content updates? Yeah, sign me up!
    Blizzard are kind of perfectionists though, which given the history of Starwars games, they might be a bit wary of throwing their hat in the ring, i am not sure i would want them to take over SW:TOR though, i think that particular game has had its day and it might well be time for something slightly, if not a lot, different, just not a COD or Batttlefield version of the game, from Blizzard i would want something along the lines of Starwars Galaxies 2 only with the Blizzard magic that takes everything good about the original and improves on it :p
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    Nah I don't think they would gamble at one MMO with Star Wars... Blizzard has been it shows moving on to greener pastures like Overwatch and Hearthstone.

I don't think it would differ much than what EA is doing, EA gets heavy slander for loot boxes and all but as it made the news Activision is pursuing the same.
    AriesTigerLackingMMO
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,167
    I think Lucas Arts under the Disney umbrella should be given reign again and let them deal with the licensing among the studios and developers.
    RolanStormAlomar
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter