Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sources Claim Disney Has Reached Out to Ubisoft & Activision About Star Wars Games - Star Wars: Batt

Comments

• cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    Herase said:

Bethesda, Bethesda, Bethesda. That's what I want to hear.

Y tho?

They make relativily good story based games and the SW franchise is in desperate need of one.

They released quite few games last year all worth the price tag, no nickel and dimming, just straight game play. I might be wrong, but I don't think any of their games released last year had loot boxes in and the DLC is done better than most with it adding on to the base game, not adding base game content back in.
    It's strange, I never think of Bethesda as a story-focused company. I've personally always found their stories to be generic and boring which is why I almost always ignore them completely. 

What they're good at is creating large open worlds and developing interesting progression systems. Both those things are rare abilities in the modern age and I don't think we've ever had a Star Wars RPG set in an open world. That's why I'd like Bethesda to build a Star Wars game - I want a massive open world (or preferably many open worlds!) in which to run around in, waving my lightsaber, learning new styles, having some fights with guns, jumping into a speeder and having a race. 

As a backup, Rockstar would also be a good candidate for building a Star Wars game, but I have a feeling that given the success of GTA Online, we may never see a good single player game from them again. 
    cjmarsh
  • Geddon95405Geddon95405 Member UncommonPosts: 111
    Complete justice that EA uses hideous predatory micro & lootbox practices in Star Wars and then loses their license for damaging a brand. There isn't a single thing about lootboxes that adds value for players, much less anchoring an entire progression system around them.

Just pure EA greed.

Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of their women...

• CogohiCogohi Member UncommonPosts: 85
    Remember EA owns the gaming rights through 2023 and any deal would need their approval since the deal that was signed is an exclusivity deal.
    EA has also been significantly underperforming on the license.  BF2 is mired in controversy.  SW:TOR is doing the maintenance mode power dive, Visceral got jettisoned.  Its one bright spot is Galaxy of Heroes and mobile is the one segment that isn't exclusive.  They don't have time to start a new AAA game from scratch, they can't afford to pull another Visceral.

Disney's been around the block once or twice and know how to draft a contract.  They're typically filled to the brim with all sorts of stipulations and periodic reviews (just ask Gazillion, oh wait).  I'd be shocked if there wasn't any sort of easy-out clause and EA's given them plenty of ammunition to exercise any number of them.
  • koldmiserkoldmiser Member RarePosts: 348

SBFord said:

You know...I loved this article. 

https://www.destructoid.com/can-star-wars-just-stop-for-a-little-bit--486868.phtml

I really love Star Wars, don't get me wrong. But it's like there's this massive Star Wars overload that's making me less and less interested. Too many movies. Too many prequels. Too many games. Too many mobile apps. Too many...too much...All SW all the time. 

I need a break, though I doubt one's incoming.

To quote the article:

Disney has had a problem recently of not knowing when to stop with their franchises. They'll find something that's a success and milk it for all it's worth. In the span of three years since the release of The Force Awakens we've had Rogue One and The Last Jedi premiere with Solo coming out in May, not to mention Star Wars Rebels concluding its four season run in March. So that's four Star Wars movies and an animated series in three years, compared to the prequel trilogy's three movies and a Cartoon Network animated series that tied in to the trilogy over the span of seven years. Not only that, but Disney has announced that Rian Johnson will be making his own trilogythe creators of Game of Thrones will work on another trilogy, the spin offs will most likely continue with a rumored Boba Fett movie, and Disney has plans for several new Star Wars shows to most likely air on their upcoming streaming service. 

So in total we have nine upcoming movies, at least two spin-offs, several TV shows, and that's just of what we know. There may, and most likely will be, more projects announced in the coming months to capitalize on the franchise's recent resurgence. You may have noticed that I've neglected to talk about Star Wars video games and books, but that's for a good reason. In the realm of video games, Star Wars never really went away. Gamers have had classic Star Wars games on most major consoles, whether it was piloting a snowspeeder on Hoth in Shadow of the Empire, platforming on the SNES trilogy, shooting your way to galactic conquest in Battlefront 2 (the good one), or being an action badass with OP force powers in The Force UnleashedStar Wars found a home with gamers and has always had a home there, so more Star Wars video games don't surprise me at all. I mean, it is surprising that they've morphed into whatever the hell Battlefront 2 was, but that's a whole other topic. 

Yeah I was really worried when I heard Disney bought the Star War franchise. I remember the days of Disney flooding the market with direct to video crap.
  • kevin55kevin55 Member CommonPosts: 1
    nice article
  • CogohiCogohi Member UncommonPosts: 85
    i hope they kick ea also out of swtor and bring back all bw employees and let swtor shine again
    ea totaly have made a mess off that game
    Bioware no longer exists.  The hacks working under that brand name have so tarnished the old reputation it's more likely to be considered a "resume stain" these days.
    cjmarsh
  • immoralthangimmoralthang Member RarePosts: 300
    My dream: Bethesda announces a new Star Wars game that is a spiritual successor to Dark Forces. They could seriously Make it Star Wars Wolfenstein/DOOM.

Then the second big reveal. Their new Sci-Fi open world game is Skyrim meets Star Wars.

Not going to happen, but a man can dream.
    BillMurphyMrMelGibson
  • ShodanasShodanas Member RarePosts: 1,933
    So, Disney is considering the kings of microtransactions, pay-wall gated content and "game services" as potential partners for the SW license.

This proves once more that Disney does not give a rats ass about the games themselves. They only care about how much money they can milk out of the Star Wars franchise.
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    Torval said:
    CrazKanuk said:
    Phry said:
    I am not surprised that they are unhappy with EA about the IP, but its somewhat laughable that they might consider Activision or Ubisoft as being a 'safer' pair of hands for it rather than just 'more of the same'. Not really sure who i would consider to be a better developer for a future Starwars game, so much would depend on what type of game they are looking to be made, whether its 4X or Single or Multiplayer RPG etc. Honestly at this point i would be more than happy to see a single player game being made using the Starwars IP, another Battlefront type of game using it would be extremely disappointing.

I don't think it's so much the developer, per se, but the reputation. Let's face it, people hate EA. So, from a branding perspective, it hurts the Star Wars brand to have them making Star Wars games. You make BF2 under Activision and a great deal of the negativity surrounding it just *poof* disappears. 
    I dunno man. I think people were all ready to jump on Activision with the patents and Bungie with Destiny 2 but EA upstaged them. Bungie has still taken a lot of heat and hate on the PC platform. Without BF2 taking the big heat I think we might be having a different conversation right now.

On the other hand people do love CoD and Destiny because they essentially carried Activision/Blizzard's bottom line.
    Of course there was a reaction on the web regarding the patent, but Activision was a hated company, not even controversial. Was it? I can't recall. 

But EA is being hated over many things and on so many a level. 
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • OldKingLogOldKingLog Member RarePosts: 564
    If true I'm not surprised. EA was granted the exclusive rights to the Star Wars universe back in 2013. In that time their multiple studios have only managed to produce two rather mediocre Battlefront games. I'm sure this is hardly the return or market exposure that Disney was hoping for when they hired a massive mutli-devloper games studio publisher like EA.
    cjmarsh
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Yeah i read something similar recently.https://screenrant.com/disney-star-wars-ea-games/

Key note at the end of the article is "we don't know the specifics of the license".However i have my take on it figuring Disney to have a competent team and lawyers.

Ok so i figure they would have some fail safe just in case EA or whomever completely tarnishes their brand,a multi billion dollar brand.So there are some lines to read between,if it was truly a FULL exclusive right over all platforms,why was Disney still going to deliver mobile games?Well i guess the claim is EA just has to publish it and perhaps that small tidbit was worked into the agreement.

Then i see mention of another keyword err letters...>>AAA.So what the hell defines a AAA game,there is no define definition,that alone could leave a loophole in the contract.This could lead to several areas,a CHEAP incoming moba or an actual mobile game.

Well i already know of one outside EA;s hands and i am not sure if it is being published by EA,so this means EA does not have full control.
    Well we know LEGO has done some recent last Jedi work but not a AAA game.

I recently read something about Last Jedi and i think Scribblenauts had something to do with it.IDK if this was Star Wars rivals but had to do with using your phone and projecting 2 battle foes or something,can't remember the specifics.None the less they cal these "phone apps" even though they are actually every bit a game as anything else,to perhaps avoid the AAA claim and Disney publishes Rivals not EA.

So we don't know where this all leads without knowing the actual license agreement details.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• cjmarshcjmarsh Member UncommonPosts: 299
    Cogohi said:
    i hope they kick ea also out of swtor and bring back all bw employees and let swtor shine again
    ea totaly have made a mess off that game
    Bioware no longer exists.  The hacks working under that brand name have so tarnished the old reputation it's more likely to be considered a "resume stain" these days.
    I don't know what you're talking about, I would absolutely love to have "worked at Bioware" on my resume.
    MrMelGibson
  • WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,309

Disney should just open there own video game development studio i mean money isn’t an issue right?

The could call it "UsedtobeLucasArts"...

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

I know what you wrote, but every time I say it out loud, it comes out "Obsidian, Obsidian, Obsidian". Strange...
    cjmarsh

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

SBFord said:

https://www.destructoid.com/can-star-wars-just-stop-for-a-little-bit--486868.phtml

I really love Star Wars, don't get me wrong. But it's like there's this massive Star Wars overload that's making me less and less interested. Too many movies. Too many prequels. Too many games. Too many mobile apps. Too many...too much...All SW all the time. 

I need a break, though I doubt one's incoming.

To quote the article:

Disney has had a problem recently of not knowing when to stop with their franchises. They'll find something that's a success and milk it for all it's worth. In the span of three years since the release of The Force Awakens we've had Rogue One and The Last Jedi premiere with Solo coming out in May, not to mention Star Wars Rebels concluding its four season run in March. So that's four Star Wars movies and an animated series in three years, compared to the prequel trilogy's three movies and a Cartoon Network animated series that tied in to the trilogy over the span of seven years. Not only that, but Disney has announced that Rian Johnson will be making his own trilogythe creators of Game of Thrones will work on another trilogy, the spin offs will most likely continue with a rumored Boba Fett movie, and Disney has plans for several new Star Wars shows to most likely air on their upcoming streaming service. 

So in total we have nine upcoming movies, at least two spin-offs, several TV shows, and that's just of what we know. There may, and most likely will be, more projects announced in the coming months to capitalize on the franchise's recent resurgence. You may have noticed that I've neglected to talk about Star Wars video games and books, but that's for a good reason. In the realm of video games, Star Wars never really went away. Gamers have had classic Star Wars games on most major consoles, whether it was piloting a snowspeeder on Hoth in Shadow of the Empire, platforming on the SNES trilogy, shooting your way to galactic conquest in Battlefront 2 (the good one), or being an action badass with OP force powers in The Force UnleashedStar Wars found a home with gamers and has always had a home there, so more Star Wars video games don't surprise me at all. I mean, it is surprising that they've morphed into whatever the hell Battlefront 2 was, but that's a whole other topic. 

"RoI" Return on Investment. You don't pay 4 billion dollars for someone's IP and sit on for 20 years like the previous owner.
    Rosenborg

• BakgrindBakgrind Member UncommonPosts: 423
    Remember EA owns the gaming rights through 2023 and any deal would need their approval since the deal that was signed is an exclusivity deal.  Money talks though so who knows.  EA has recently made the following comment regarding Star Wars games.

"That’s not all we have in production right now. Our partners at Respawn Entertainment are making their own 3rd person action adventure game, one that features a different style of gameplay and takes place in a different timeline we have yet to explore with our EA Star Wars titles. And we’re early in pre-production on some other projects we think you’re going to be excited about as well."

There is also this:
    https://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/respawn-star-wars-game-release-window/

I'm amazed no one else mentioned this before now.
    The way I look at it is that Disney honors their contract until it runs out in 2023 simply because what ever projects EA has in store should be finished by the end of that contract.  I am not an attorney,but I don't think that what ever agreement EA has with Disney currently could stop them from having talks with other developers about concepts and game play or even prevent them from working on the game. And it really would not matter because it would take a new developer at least 5-6 years to get their studio and manpower shift gears and get organized for a Star Wars IP. In essence EA keeps the contract and is allowed to expire naturally and Disney has someone in the wings ready to continue where EA had left off.
  • calibekcalibek Member UncommonPosts: 300

cjmarsh said:

Disney making Star Wars non-exclusive can only be good for gamers and game developers. It is one, if not the richest IPs and a lore base that any developer worth their salt would drool over. I sincerely hope they take away EA's exclusivity and open it up to almost anyone else.

But Bethesda? You know Disney had a problem with EA's monetization right? Bethesda isn't much better. If anything I hope for a new shooter MMO from Activision with storm troopers and rebel soldiers.

Despite people's opinions on the monetization thing that Bethesda has done with the creation club, at least when you buy something there you know what you are buying. With the way it is now you buy boxes and hope you get a good item. If they are going to have extras I would prefer it be the way creation club is over lootboxes.
    cjmarsh

• WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363

SBFord said:

yeah i agree , feel the same way about FF franchise to be fair , when u exploit it too much ugh
    SBFord[Deleted User]
  • cjmarshcjmarsh Member UncommonPosts: 299
    Bakgrind said:
    Remember EA owns the gaming rights through 2023 and any deal would need their approval since the deal that was signed is an exclusivity deal.  Money talks though so who knows.  EA has recently made the following comment regarding Star Wars games.

"That’s not all we have in production right now. Our partners at Respawn Entertainment are making their own 3rd person action adventure game, one that features a different style of gameplay and takes place in a different timeline we have yet to explore with our EA Star Wars titles. And we’re early in pre-production on some other projects we think you’re going to be excited about as well."

There is also this:
    https://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/respawn-star-wars-game-release-window/

The way I look at it is that Disney honors their contract until it runs out in 2023 simply because what ever projects EA has in store should be finished by the end of that contract.  I am not an attorney,but I don't think that what ever agreement EA has with Disney currently could stop them from having talks with other developers about concepts and game play or even prevent them from working on the game. And it really would not matter because it would take a new developer at least 5-6 years to get their studio and manpower shift gears and get organized for a Star Wars IP. In essence EA keeps the contract and is allowed to expire naturally and Disney has someone in the wings ready to continue where EA had left off.
    5-6 years is a bit much for anything besides an MMO, which could be what Disney is after. While I agree that it is a potential course of action, Disney could just as easily pay up to cancel early to show fans they were sensitive to the loot box fiasco. Waiting until 2023 takes all the wind out of those particular sails.
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    EA just can't pump out the level of high quality Star Wars games Disney is going to want, and few studios want to work with them. They want to go back to the glory days like when Lucas Arts was in charge and we actually got tons of variety in Star Wars games.
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

gervaise1 said:

LeFantome said:

With paid mods dlc? 
    I don't know about Bethesda anymore...

You seem to be suggesting that Bethseda (and other companies) should produce dlc for free.

Skyrim had 3 paid expansions right? Dawnguard, Hearthfire and Dragonstone. It was only later that they produced a GotY edition. So no change. 

Now if you want to bemoan the rise of loot boxes etc. etc. OK. If you want to suggest that some dlc is to expensive OK. At the end of the day though it costs money to create content so why shouldn't there be a charge?

Might want to read again. He mentioned paid MODS, not DLC. You know, the Fallout 4 thing, where you can buy mods.
  • klash2defklash2def Member EpicPosts: 1,949
    4 letters. CDPR
    Horusra[Deleted User]
    "Beliefs don't change facts. Facts, if you're reasonable, should change your beliefs."

"The Society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."

Currently: Games Audio Engineer, you didn't hear what I heard, you heard what I wanted you to hear. 

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited February 2018
    I would love to see a Star Wars game with the scale of a Ubisoft game, but not from Ubisoft. They will use the same dull gameplay design they are using on all their modern games. Divide the map into districts, and have players do the same handful of tasks on every district over and over. Really boring. That reason alone made me skip Ghost Recon Wildlands, will probably skip FarCry 5 if its developed in the same way, and haven't found the energy to push through AC Syndicate because of that same reason.

Wouldn't want Activision on it either. But anything is better than EA.

Rockstar, Rocksteady and Suckerpunch would make a fine Star Wars game, but Suckerpunch would make it PS4 exclusive so leave that one out for the sake of this forum's sanity lol.

EDIT: OMG scratch all that nonsense i just said above, give the IP to Crystal Dynamics!!!!!!!! 

• OldKingLogOldKingLog Member RarePosts: 564
    MaxBacon said:
    Yeah EA would never lose their license before 2023 without a very fat compensation for work already started on projects driven from that license.

So it would be a fat check from Disney because EA would never... "Let it go!". #badpun

With current ensured profitability as it shows it wouldn't make sense either.
    First off a juggernaut company such as Disney would be able to pay any early contract release penalty without batting an eye. Second do you really think a company as massive and as litigious as Disney would have been shortsighted enough to enter into a contract that couldn't be broken if the second party didn't perform as expected? No, if Disney is really thinking about giving EA the boot there is going to be very little EA can do about it.
  • neelneel Member UncommonPosts: 9
    edited February 2018
    I really hope Disney does pull the license from EA

ttp://medias.luna-atra.fr/gw2/char_tool/CT_imageGenerator.php?pseudo=Re'ir&lang=EN&code=TSwtLDMsLSwyLC0sMyw5LDE2LDE3LDE4LC0sOSwzNiw1OCw2Miw2Ng%3D%3D