Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sources Claim Disney Has Reached Out to Ubisoft & Activision About Star Wars Games - Star Wars: Batt

Comments

• TekaelonTekaelon Member UncommonPosts: 604
    EA has demonstrated that it has NO IDEA how to make quality games with the Star Wars franchise. Nothing but formulaic games from EA.
    Cogohi
  • moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530

Bethesda, Bethesda, Bethesda. That's what I want to hear.

Y tho?
    Xarko
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited February 2018

Y tho?

One of the only studios dedicated to a single player experience. Activision/Ubisoft/EA have been more than candid that they are only interested in the "live services" model of gaming going forward (aka microtransactions, loot boxes, etc). Lets not forget that Activision did the same exact thing as EA, the only difference being that EA was stupid and tried to defend what they were doing. Just look at the whole Destiny thing on the Activision side. That would've been the news of 2017 if EA pretty much didn't help push loot box legislation trying to be passed in the states atm.
  • RosenborgRosenborg Member UncommonPosts: 162
    Tekaelon said:
    EA has demonstrated that it has NO IDEA how to make quality games with the Star Wars franchise. Nothing but formulaic games from EA.

True. But Disney with the movies is guilty of the same thing.

That is what happens when you play it safe.

Couple of days ago, I finally watched Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets. Strangely enough, it actually suffers from the same flaws as the prequel trilogy. But still it's far more entertaining than the Disney made films.
  • 3dom3dom Member RarePosts: 889
    So there is a possibility of SWG2 after all. Or at least for a less stupid MMORPG than SWTOR (or at least for an MMORPG with less outdated graphics and game engine).

Thank you for your time!

• LilithMLilithM Member UncommonPosts: 82
    The only ones I really trust to make an epic open world SW game is CD Project Red. Even tough I know it would take years. I mean even if they were handed the license today we would not see any game until another 5-7 years from now.
    My second bet would be Bethesda. They do make good open world games even if they focus way too much on the generic story and quests. But Fallout 4 proved that they can optimize a game to make it stable, and with Far Harbor they showed me they can also create an interesting story. Also I take Creation Club any day over loot boxes...
  • rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    Among EA, Ubisoft, and Activision I really hope they go with Ubisoft. Assuming these rumors pan out to be true.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• kikoodutroa8kikoodutroa8 Member RarePosts: 565

Holy popamoles D :
  • hallucigenocidehallucigenocide Member RarePosts: 1,015
    3dom said:
    So there is a possibility of SWG2 after all. Or at least for a less stupid MMORPG than SWTOR (or at least for an MMORPG with less outdated graphics and game engine).
    doubt it.
    MrMelGibson

I had fun once, it was terrible.

• HeraseHerase Member RarePosts: 993

Y tho?

They make relativily good story based games and the SW franchise is in desperate need of one.

They released quite few games last year all worth the price tag, no nickel and dimming, just straight game play. I might be wrong, but I don't think any of their games released last year had loot boxes in and the DLC is done better than most with it adding on to the base game, not adding base game content back in.
  • xMorbidAngeLxMorbidAngeL Member UncommonPosts: 17
    i hope they kick ea also out of swtor and bring back all bw employees and let swtor shine again
    ea totaly have made a mess off that game
    SBFordCogohi
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    Bethesda?!?!?!?

That overhyped studio serioousslly EA pushes out games with better quality than Bethesda ones.

If you want a proper company behind Star Wars give it to Rockstar, if they had it I would imagine we could see something more open-world and/or more focused on a storyline like Star Wars games used to be when led by Lucas.
    cjmarshcalibekneelNepheth
  • xMorbidAngeLxMorbidAngeL Member UncommonPosts: 17

MaxBacon said:

Bethesda?!?!?!?

That overhyped studio serioousslly EA pushes out games with better quality than Bethesda ones.

If you want a proper company behind Star Wars give it to Rockstar, if they had it I would imagine we could see something more open-world and/or more focused on a storyline like Star Wars games used to be when led by Lucas.

i like the game companie from warframe also very good
    and warframe is a very solid sci fi hack/slash shooter and looks and play good to
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    Herase said:

Y tho?

They make relativily good story based games and the SW franchise is in desperate need of one.

They released quite few games last year all worth the price tag, no nickel and dimming, just straight game play. I might be wrong, but I don't think any of their games released last year had loot boxes in and the DLC is done better than most with it adding on to the base game, not adding base game content back in.
    They make great games, but they also make extremely buggy games and rely on modders to fix their bugs. I'm not saying that's worse than EA, but I want an experience that doesn't involve a ton of issues that other people that aren't the company have to fix. 

They do nickel and dime quite a bit just in different ways. They released how many versions of Skyrim now at full price every single time? PS3, PS4, Xbox 360, Xbox One, PSVR, Switch, PC, the legendary edition for each platform (other than switch and PSVR). 

Bethesda was also one of the first companies to introduce cosmetic DLC, with the Horse Armor. It isn't a big deal now but at the time it was seen as relatively gross. 
    cjmarshNepheth
  • JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    Such awesome news, Please pull the SW license and then let the NFL follow so we could get a decent football game. For those of you who don't play sports games lets just say, many regard a football game made in 2005 by 2k games to still be better than the latest Madden football put out in 2018.

But back to Star Wars, EA at this point has no business holding on to that license, You look at the success of open world games like witcher 3,skyrim , fallout ect and you ask why no star wars? From RPG to a solid turn based strategy to even another MMO, hell even a telltale Star Wars game sounds amazing. The best EA could come up with at this point is to take their Battlefield series and slap a sloppy coat of star wars on it and call it a day. O i forget enraging fans with money transactions.

I dont work in the industry but i dont think it takes a "industry insider" to figure out. I'm guessing upper management "suits" are calling the shots based solely on trends and company financial gains. I think the lack of creativity and loss of connection to gaming community can be attributed to a company growing to big for its own good. Of course this is all speculation on my part and maybe its just as simple as they dont have alot of talent right now. Either way its time to pull the plug Disney.
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    thunderC said:
    Such awesome news, Please pull the SW license and then let the NFL follow so we could get a decent football game. For those of you who don't play sports games lets just say, many regard a football game made in 2005 by 2k games to still be better than the latest Madden football put out in 2018.

But back to Star Wars, EA at this point has no business holding on to that license, You look at the success of open world games like witcher 3,skyrim , fallout ect and you ask why no star wars? From RPG to a solid turn based strategy to even another MMO, hell even a telltale Star Wars game sounds amazing. The best EA could come up with at this point is to take their Battlefield series and slap a sloppy coat of star wars on it and call it a day. O i forget enraging fans with money transactions.

I dont work in the industry but i dont think it takes a "industry insider" to figure out. I'm guessing upper management "suits" are calling the shots based solely on trends and company financial gains. I think the lack of creativity and loss of connection to gaming community can be attributed to a company growing to big for its own good. Of course this is all speculation on my part and maybe its just as simple as they dont have alot of talent right now. Either way its time to pull the plug Disney.
    I want to reply to my own post and give props to Blizzard, for as big as they have gotten they still put out quality in my opinion. Yeah ill be the first to bitch about WOW but i always return to see what they have added. 
    SBFordcjmarsh[Deleted User]calibekMrMelGibsonNepheth
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• kabitoshinkabitoshin Member UncommonPosts: 854
    Personally I would like to see Obsidian to make another star wars game.
    atonico
  • sycogenesissycogenesis Member UncommonPosts: 86
    yes YES YES YES SO MUCH YESS OMFG YES PLZ LOL LET THIS BE THE END OF THE EA TYRANNY
    JeffSpicoliinfomatz
  • sneakerz007sneakerz007 Member UncommonPosts: 95
    Coolit said:
    Wonder if the online petition had an effect on their decision if this is true.

Hopefully something the fans want will come from this instead of "games as a service".
    Hopefully it did. I signed it for damn sure. 
    Coolit
  • HeretiqueHeretique Member RarePosts: 1,535
    This would be a dream come true.
  • cjmarshcjmarsh Member UncommonPosts: 299
    Disney making Star Wars non-exclusive can only be good for gamers and game developers. It is one, if not the richest IPs and a lore base that any developer worth their salt would drool over. I sincerely hope they take away EA's exclusivity and open it up to almost anyone else.

But Bethesda? You know Disney had a problem with EA's monetization right? Bethesda isn't much better. If anything I hope for a new shooter MMO from Activision with storm troopers and rebel soldiers.
  • sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373
    Remember EA owns the gaming rights through 2023 and any deal would need their approval since the deal that was signed is an exclusivity deal.  Money talks though so who knows.  EA has recently made the following comment regarding Star Wars games.

"That’s not all we have in production right now. Our partners at Respawn Entertainment are making their own 3rd person action adventure game, one that features a different style of gameplay and takes place in a different timeline we have yet to explore with our EA Star Wars titles. And we’re early in pre-production on some other projects we think you’re going to be excited about as well."

There is also this:
    https://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/respawn-star-wars-game-release-window/

psychosiz1[Deleted User]cjmarshMrMelGibson
  • psychosiz1psychosiz1 Member UncommonPosts: 200
    Remember EA owns the gaming rights through 2023 and any deal would need their approval since the deal that was signed is an exclusivity deal.  Money talks though so who knows.  EA has recently made the following comment regarding Star Wars games.

"That’s not all we have in production right now. Our partners at Respawn Entertainment are making their own 3rd person action adventure game, one that features a different style of gameplay and takes place in a different timeline we have yet to explore with our EA Star Wars titles. And we’re early in pre-production on some other projects we think you’re going to be excited about as well."

There is also this:
    https://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/respawn-star-wars-game-release-window/

I'm amazed no one else mentioned this before now.
    [Deleted User]MrMelGibson
  • some-clueless-guysome-clueless-guy Member UncommonPosts: 227
    Ubisoft. LOL.

Talk about taking a step in the wrong direction.
    cjmarshAvarixpsychosiz1
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    edited February 2018
    I'm amazed no one else mentioned this before now.
    Yeah EA would never lose their license before 2023 without a very fat compensation for work already started on projects driven from that license.

So it would be a fat check from Disney because EA would never... "Let it go!". #badpun

With current ensured profitability as it shows it wouldn't make sense either.