Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Valve Boots Insel Games' Portfolio Over Reviews Manipulation - Guardians of Ember - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited February 2018 in News & Features Discussion

imageValve Boots Insel Games' Portfolio Over Reviews Manipulation - Guardians of Ember - MMORPG.com

Guardians of Ember News - Steam has removed all of Insel Games' titles from its platform as a result of an investigation into review rating manipulation. Valve said that Insel had been involved in making multiple Steam accounts to post positive reviews for its own games. "This is a clear violation of our review policy and something we take very seriously." the post reads.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    They got caught, but very much doubt they're the only company that does this.
    ScotElvoczigalucardAvarixbartoni33HeretiqueMendelKyleranGeezerGaz82wingoodand 3 others.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• EldrachEldrach Member RarePosts: 416
    Guess that was the end for that company. Their games are not good, but they should at least have acted with solidarity
    zigalucardTokken
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    Good that Valve removed them, but I don't think it's enough. The company should also get some kind of official penalty for deceptive advertising.
    JeffSpicoli

• Erinak1Erinak1 Member UncommonPosts: 205

Vrika said:

Good that Valve removed them, but I don't think it's enough. The company should also get some kind of official penalty for deceptive advertising.

Its not like Valve has that power, though.
    AaronGRcatofmany
  • Hugor49Hugor49 Member UncommonPosts: 25
    I know I shouldn't but I can't help feeling some pity as this is most probably the end of Insel Games and people's jobs. I played Guardians of Ember for 85 hours or so and enjoyed it but it was obvious that the game was struggling - the mods and devs were very active on the forums helping people out with any issues or questions but they just couldn't get a playerbase of more than 100 concurrent players.

I played the beta for Wild Busters and even though it's an OK game I knew the graphics were too outdated for a new game to bring a decent playerbase in.

I don't think there's anything they can do now.
    LeFantome
  • LeFantomeLeFantome Member RarePosts: 692
    Insel : The end.

• pureremedypureremedy Member UncommonPosts: 42
    edited February 2018
    Damn that desperate huh im glad this happen so that other developers will think twice before pulling overall crap like this
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    Thing is though @pureremedy that they're hardly the only company to do such a thing. I'm sure most do. What I find inexplicably weird is that an employee would post the internal document with the CEO's request for employee reviews...did they not know that will likely sink the company?

While I think it's a silly thing to do, Insel is far from the only and certainly not the worse abuser of the system.
    Hugor49Thupli

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    R.I.P Now if only Steam would remove "DENUVO" DRM Based games which does nothing to prevent piracy, but negatively impacts performance even if just by 1% all these games should be removed from the Steam platform.
    bartoni33RexKushmanKyleranSlapshot1188
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    SBFord said:
    But if they all do it, does it not then even out? :)
  • LeFantomeLeFantome Member RarePosts: 692
    edited February 2018

SBFord said:

Thing is though @pureremedy that they're hardly the only company to do such a thing. I'm sure most do. What I find inexplicably weird is that an employee would post the internal document with the CEO's request for employee reviews...did they not know that will likely sink the company?

Because the employee find that unethical ? Maybe he got fired last week and a friend sent him this email as, hey bud, look at what the boss is asking ? We don't know.
    But I'm glad he did it.
    In any case, I'm also glad they got cought and there is literally no excuses for Insel .

As you said twice, you doubt they're the only company that does this. In this case, that doesnt matter at all.
    some-clueless-guycatofmanyTacticalZombeh

• AlexanderVendiAlexanderVendi Member UncommonPosts: 375
    I got this game for free about ..a year ago? played it for 5 mins.
  • EldrachEldrach Member RarePosts: 416
    I find indie developers admirable, but they need to make a good product, this form of conduct is misleading advertising
  • RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    Hmm. Let's see if I can get that refund now :)
    Tokken

Joined - July 2004

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Should remove the games that purposely remove negative comments about games on their forums as well but then Steam would actually have tens of thousands of less games on it so we can't have that!
    BruceYee
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903

Vrika said:

having all of your games removed from steam is pretty devastating to a small dev
    Thupli
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    edited February 2018
    I don't quite understand the problem with this part though

"I am asking you either to do the following: Buy the game and present me the receipt until Friday night for which you will be reimbursed within 24h or explain to me tomorrow why you do not wish to do this"

Reimbursing your employees for buying the game isn't wrong is it? And neither is asking them to write a review, which they may do from work I suppose. Unless steam has a rule against devs rating their own games.

Making them come to you and explain why you don't want to do that is shady as F#%@ though

I guess I need more information here.
  • DelondialDelondial Member UncommonPosts: 124
    Pretty harsh, but then I suppose it's a gibbeting meant to serve as a warning to others.

Clever things.

• JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    edited February 2018

ITS THE RUSSIANS!!! 
    [Deleted User]druezforcelima
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• ScottJeslisScottJeslis Member UncommonPosts: 355

SBFord said:

I believe this happens more often then not. Think I'm more upset that "he" (?) pretty much forcing the employees to buy a copy (I know they would technically be reimbursed, but still).
  • halfmystichalfmystic Member RarePosts: 535

DMKano said:

Delondial said:

Pretty harsh, but then I suppose it's a gibbeting meant to serve as a warning to others.

Not harsh at all.

Valve knows that the integrity (or appearence of integrity) is a huge deal to steam users - and it directly affects players "trust" in Steam.

I laughed so hard at this. You're lying to yourself if you think Valve is working hard towards the appearance of integrity based on the number of garbage titles released on steam on a daily basis.

Delondial
  • JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849

Vrika said:

Calm your jets, They posted a few positive reviews its not like they were embezzling millions of dollars from elderly dementia patients....
    KyleranFrodoFragins
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• HeretiqueHeretique Member RarePosts: 1,535
    Have to make an example of someone, good riddance.
  • Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    edited February 2018

DMKano said:

Delondial said:

Not harsh at all.

Valve knows that the integrity (or appearence of integrity) is a huge deal to steam users - and it directly affects players "trust" in Steam.

I laughed so hard at this. You're lying to yourself if you think Valve is working hard towards the appearance of integrity based on the number of garbage titles released on steam on a daily basis.

Isn't that the point of the reviews in the first place, though?
    [Deleted User]cjmarsh
  • timeraidertimeraider Member UncommonPosts: 865
    Ashes of Creation Referral link - Help me to help you!
    https://ashesofcreation.com/r/Y4U3PQCASUPJ5SED