Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Elder Scrolls Online - The 5 Best Things in Dragon Bones - Update 17 - MMORPG.com

Comments

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    The outfit system, I've not found this info anywhere.. do you have to keep the items or does it unlock them permanently? Account wide or not?
    Outfits are not like costumes. They're per character.

Each character you have or create gets one outfit "template" included. You can fill each slot (chest, head, arms, weapons, etc.) with any style for that slot that any character in your account has learned including all the freebies (each character you create knows their own racial style, imperial edition adds the imperial style, etc.) That outfit and its dye can be changed as often as you want but each time you do it costs the same as if you were doing it from scratch based on the style you're using.

The gold cost per slot varies depending on the rarity of the style you're using and dyeing outfit slots also costs gold unlike dyeing your regular gear or costumes.

You're just adjusting the outfit template for that character but you're not creating a costume that would become an account wide collectible.

You can also buy additional blank outfit templates from the cash shop if for some reason you want to have more than one for a given character and those are also per character.

TBH, it's not something that's a huge attraction for me. I played around with it on the PTS just to check it out but I haven't bothered to do any on the live server.

TheDarkrayneBruceYee
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    edited February 2018
    Iselin said:
    The outfit system, I've not found this info anywhere.. do you have to keep the items or does it unlock them permanently? Account wide or not?
    Outfits are not like costumes. They're per character.

Each character you have or create gets one outfit "template" included. You can fill each slot (chest, head, arms, weapons, etc.) with any style for that slot that any character in your account has learned including all the freebies (each character you create knows their own racial style, imperial edition adds the imperial style, etc.) That outfit and its dye can be changed as often as you want but each time you do it costs the same as if you were doing it from scratch based on the style you're using.

The gold cost per slot varies depending on the rarity of the style you're using and dyeing outfit slots also costs gold unlike dyeing your regular gear or costumes.

You're just adjusting the outfit template for that character but you're not creating a costume that would become an account wide collectible.

You can also buy additional blank outfit templates from the cash shop if for some reason you want to have more than one for a given character and those are also per character.

TBH, it's not something that's a huge attraction for me. I played around with it on the PTS just to check it out but I haven't bothered to do any on the live server.

OK, so you don't learn appearances from gaining items? You get the styles you've learned from motifs?

Not really a fan of that if that's the case. Seems like a step backwards compared to Rift, GW2, WoW.. etc.
    RexKushmanOctagon7711
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Xarko said:
    Still no necromancer skill tree? I guess I check again next year then...
    ESO is more of a spin off from TES rather than a successor, magic is just one of the differences that ESO has to other TES games, so much so that you might almost think that whoever designed the magic system for ESO wasn't all that familiar with the magic system of TES games generally, which is somewhat surprising, though it would explain numerous other disparities. :/
  • hallucigenocidehallucigenocide Member RarePosts: 1,015
    not sure what the all the complaints about the outfit costs are really.. are veterans just dumping the cash constantly or something? i feel like i've got more than i'd ever need right now and haven't even visited a guildtrader. at 30k a character the only way i wouldn't be able to afford it right now was if it had 1 character for every spec(and that's not going to happen)

I had fun once, it was terrible.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,741
    Am I happy with Pay to Wear? Yes, if girls want to have four different ball gowns to wear in the muddy fields of battle let them pay. :)
    BruceYee
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Scot said:
    Am I happy with Pay to Wear? Yes, if girls want to have four different ball gowns to wear in the muddy fields of battle let them pay. :)
    Actually, when you think about it, Zenimax are missing out on a decent amount of revenue here, pay 2 clean!  :p
    Scotjosko9
  • SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Five bests things.

Rip off, rip off, rip off, rip off, rip off. 
    josko9Ozmodan

• KalebGraysonKalebGrayson Member RarePosts: 430
    This game still action combat (my left wrist still aches from the carpal tunnel from this game)? People still being one shot in pvp (unless they are running around in a mob)? As someone mentioned above, I guess I'll check back again next year.
    Leiloni
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,892
    This game still action combat (my left wrist still aches from the carpal tunnel from this game)? People still being one shot in pvp (unless they are running around in a mob)? As someone mentioned above, I guess I'll check back again next year.
    The combat isn't going to change to anything other than "action combat" ever.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    edited February 2018

Kabon said:

so is group combat worth anything yet or is everyone a healerdpstank still ? is there a 15 bucks a month option instead of paying 100 or 1000 of bucks for f2p crap because you need to if you dont want to grind forever ? is there anything you actually want to group for ? No ?

This is just another Modern MMO then.

I wonder why so many ppls pay f2p shit it should be forbidden by law. It ruins most games. Im tired of all thoose shallow attemps at MMO worlds.

If thers any games that focus on PVE and Grouping and not on ppls Bank Account wake me up i try cryofreezing chambers next wake me up once a game shows up that is worth playing.

@kabon either you are being sarcastic - and I don't think you are - or you have never tried the game and haven't bothered to check out the "payment" options.

10 things that may help you :)

1. ESO is not a f2p game; there is no free download; you have to buy it with real money. Its b2p. You also have to buy new content packs although "base patches" that impact e.g. combat are provided for free.

2. That said the core game - which released a few years back now - is pretty inexpensive so if you did decide to dip a toe in the water it won't cost you that much. Has been available on e.g. Amazon for $9.99. The very same game that was much more expensive when it released and required a subscription to play. And its huge. There is an also an edition with the first 4 content dlcs which is pretty inexpensive and last years Morrowind edition came with the original game but none of the dlc (they can be bought individually or in packs).

3. Once you have purchased the game - and maybe some dlc - you do not have to pay a subscription. So its "free to continue playing". Not the same as f2p though.

4. There is an optional monthly subscription. This has some QoL stuff (not p2w) and is an alternative to buying the content packs. Not expansions though. To reiterate however its not required.

5. There is also a none intrusive cash shop but other than the dlc the other stuff it sells is cosmetic - fluff! (OK there are a few xp pots but if you knew the game they are useless!) To underscore: no p2w.

So what's in the box?

6. ESO has Solo PvE including solo trials, Co-op PvE including public dungeons and landscape encounters / boss mobs and Group PvE (dungeons and raids). You will probably get bored before you run out of PvE content! It also has time limited RvRvR PvP campaigns (various) which are timed and reset - so you will be able to join a new one pretty soon after you start. PvP Battlegrounds. Solo/small group PvP.

7. It runs on megaservers - 3 US, 3 EU one for each platform (PC, PS4, XB). So there are also people in game. Pretty much everywhere as well since there are no "starter areas".

8. It is very, very alt friendly.

9. There is nothing shallow about the background stories and locations. This is the world of Tamriel. Of Daggerfall, Oblivion and Morrowind and even Skyrim with the background lore developed over 20+ years woven into the game. And just to underscore the fact ESO when it initially launched was a huge game with months of (playing every day) content. To find out though you will have to pay so it comes down to whether you feel $10 is to much. And after multiple content updates it is now a gigantic game; yes the extra content cost extra but it is not, I suggest, bank breaking.

Finally:

10. Not everyone likes it! Some people can't get into it. Some people don't like the way it looks, the combat, how it plays and a thousand and one other reasons. And I don't think anyone on these forums liked lootboxes being added to teh game - but they don't impact. That doesn't - however - make it a "bad" game. Not everyone likes brocolli! And there are lots - as in millions - of people who do like it and have bought it.

And that is what keeps the cost of ownership down: a lot of people paying a little adds up. A niche game means players have to pay a lot; a f2p game stats suggest has lots of people playing nothing and has to rely on heavy cash shop "promotion". ESO is a balance. YesZenimax would like everyone to pay a sub and buy lots of fluff but the bottomline is all you have to do is buy the game.

Summary:
    You said wake you up if there was a game that wasn't shallow which offered extensive PvE and grouping without being heavy on the bank balance. It might not be for you but maybe you should check it out.
    Post edited by gervaise1 on
    Ayin
  • josko9josko9 Member RarePosts: 577
    Others could learn a lot from ZOS, not only is their content delivery exceptionally fast, they even seem to focus on making the game better for everyone, and not only for those at max level.

DLCs aren't even the best additions, the best additions often come from their free updates alongside DLCs. So many QOL fixes and improvement with each new update, it's truly impressive.

I suppose there is a reason why fans of this genre think ESO is the best MMO ever since it came out. ZOS just doesn't seem like they can do a bad thing, every update since the game launched has made the overall experience better. We've never seen an MMO improve years after it's release, most of them stagnate after the 1st or 2nd year.
  • AlvonuAlvonu Member UncommonPosts: 34
    When leveling alts do you still need to do that tedious Molag Bal quest line? or can you bypass the whole thing without missing anything decent? Haven't played in a long while. I can get behind doing a quest one time but repeating it for alts was rather nutty.
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,052
    Kabon said:
    so is group combat worth anything yet or is everyone a healerdpstank still ? is there a 15 bucks a month option instead of paying 100 or 1000 of bucks for f2p crap because you need to if you dont want to grind forever ? is there anything you actually want to group for ? No ?

This is just another Modern MMO then.

I wonder why so many ppls pay f2p shit it should be forbidden by law. It ruins most games. Im tired of all thoose shallow attemps at MMO worlds. If thers any games that focus on PVE and Grouping and not on ppls Bank Account wake me up i try cryofreezing chambers next wake me up once a game shows up that is worth playing.

You ask the questions then give the presumptive answers/rant?

Yes group combat is better than some regarding roles, but not as good as other traditional trinity mmos. Yes there is a monthly option that gives you pretty much everything you need to play through the entire game. Yes there is group content.

This is not f2p, it is b2p with cash shop and sub options.

There are things to complain about with ESO, but you have not found a valid reason yet. Keep ranting about shit you have no clue about though lol
    gervaise1
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    edited February 2018
    Alvonu said:
    When leveling alts do you still need to do that tedious Molag Bal quest line? or can you bypass the whole thing without missing anything decent? Haven't played in a long while. I can get behind doing a quest one time but repeating it for alts was rather nutty.
    There are umpteen different ways to level. You can solo quest if you want doing or ignoring that main Molag Bal quest line. Some people just grind without even questing. Grinding the dolmens in a zone has become hugely popular way to do it and some level doing just that. Leveling by just PVPing is also viable. After One Tamriel all the PVE zones are open to anyone at all levels: just pick one or a couple you like and go there.

I've leveled a lot of alts and I have done it usually by questing while queued for dungeons. You get good gear sets that way and it goes by fast and the dungeons break up the questing... works for me. When I happen to be leveling an alt during a double XP event (which they have several times a year) I've hit 50 without even leaving Auridon.
    [Deleted User]
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• LacedOpiumLacedOpium Member EpicPosts: 2,327
    Elidien said:

Iselin said:

Alvonu said:

There are umpteen different ways to level. You can solo quest if you want doing or ignoring that main Molag Bal quest line. Some people just grind without even questing. Grinding the dolmens in a zone has become hugely popular way to do it and some level doing just that. Leveling by just PVPing is also viable. After One Tamriel all the PVE zones are open to anyone at all levels: just pick one or a couple you like and go there.

I've leveled a lot of alts and I have done it usually by questing while queued for dungeons. You get good gear sets that way and it goes by fast and the dungeons break up the questing... works for me. When I happen to be leveling an alt during a double XP event (which they have several times a year) I've hit 50 without even leaving Auridon.

I agree. There are so many ways to level. Get to level 10, go to Cyrodiil and PVP your way to 50. Grind Dolmens. Play the DLC's only. My main character is level 50 with ~260 CP's. I still have Thieves guild and Dark Brotherhood to complete and just started Clockwork city. The content is overwhelming sometimes. The game gives choices and I love to have choices.

Last night I spent hours just in Cyrodiil. Night before I did dungeons. Tonight is a leveling event and we will grind dolmens and world bosses. So much to do, so little time!

One can actually spend hours doing nothing but exploring, gathering mats, opening chests, reading lore, or talking to NPC that often reveal secrets, etc., while listening to great background music and enjoying the atmosphere.  Its actually one of my favorite things to do after a stint of questing/battling.  The game has great depth and value.
    RexKushman
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Torval said:
    Elidien said:

Iselin said:

Alvonu said:

I agree. There are so many ways to level. Get to level 10, go to Cyrodiil and PVP your way to 50. Grind Dolmens. Play the DLC's only. My main character is level 50 with ~260 CP's. I still have Thieves guild and Dark Brotherhood to complete and just started Clockwork city. The content is overwhelming sometimes. The game gives choices and I love to have choices.

Last night I spent hours just in Cyrodiil. Night before I did dungeons. Tonight is a leveling event and we will grind dolmens and world bosses. So much to do, so little time!

One can actually spend hours doing nothing but exploring, gathering mats, opening chests, reading lore, or talking to NPC that often reveal secrets, etc., while listening to great background music and enjoying the atmosphere.  Its actually one of my favorite things to do after a stint of questing/battling.  The game has great depth and value.
    I spend a lot (most) of my time roaming and doing the adventures I run across. I always run into something to do.
    That's one of the best things about the game.  I spent yesterday doing a lot of exploring and manage to gain a few CP levels just doing that.  

Bank space and bag space is at a premium and can be tough on someone starting out.  Other games I play drop bags or they can be easily bought from the auction houses for decent prices.  

Luckily I won't need the to use the outfit at all for a very long time as I mostly use outfits and polymorphs found during questing.  
    [Deleted User]

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• LeiloniLeiloni Member RarePosts: 1,266
    You unlock styles via crafting motifs and those motifs are account wide in regards to the Outfit system. So a basic motif unlocks every piece of armor in that style as do some of the  more high end motifs. But a few rare motifs only unlock a specific piece of armor/weapon. Either way you don't need to keep anything. Just use the motif book in your inventory and all your characters can use that look in the Outfit system.
    edited February 2018
    I have tendonitis in both hands that I need to stay on top of to prevent pain from recurring, however ESO is one of the games that actually doesn't give me issues. I suppose since I'm playing casually that's part of it, but I'm sorry to hear it's given you problems. :( You can try changing your keybinds around a bit? I know putting things on the mouse is helpful to me. I tried putting Sprint on something other than Shift but it just felt weird. That's my only gripe is that I need to hold down Shift and it's definitely not helpful. 

I will say, though that once you get the pain to go away and know how to manage it properly you should be able to play a game like this. You couldn't play it for hours upon hours every night, and depending on how you play you may need to adjust your playstyle a bit, but it's doable. However if it's an ongoing problem I suggest seeing a doctor (Orthopedic Hand Surgeon is what I saw who referred me to an OHT) and getting them to refer you to an occupational or physical therapist. You don't want to have to avoid games you enjoy because of it. :)
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    Leiloni said:
    I have tendonitis in both hands that I need to stay on top of to prevent pain from recurring, however ESO is one of the games that actually doesn't give me issues. I suppose since I'm playing casually that's part of it, but I'm sorry to hear it's given you problems. :( You can try changing your keybinds around a bit? I know putting things on the mouse is helpful to me. I tried putting Sprint on something other than Shift but it just felt weird. That's my only gripe is that I need to hold down Shift and it's definitely not helpful. 

I will say, though that once you get the pain to go away and know how to manage it properly you should be able to play a game like this. You couldn't play it for hours upon hours every night, and depending on how you play you may need to adjust your playstyle a bit, but it's doable. However if it's an ongoing problem I suggest seeing a doctor (Orthopedic Hand Surgeon is what I saw who referred me to an OHT) and getting them to refer you to an occupational or physical therapist. You don't want to have to avoid games you enjoy because of it. :)

Trying to master animation canceling will indeed induce pain lol.  Probably better for your health that you are playing causally. 
    Leiloni
    Alvonu said:
    No, you don't have to do it.  I've done it about three times on alts and now I stop when I get to Cold Harbor.  Actually the way the game is now you really don't have to finish any quest lines unless you're into achievements or want some of the more exotic rewards offered by some quests lines like the ability to become a skeleton when you do the 'Bargains End' quest line.  The appearance section usually names what you have to do to get a particular bobble.  

Of course a lot of quest lines gives good gear and weapons.  Some scale to the current level of your character so you might want to do those after you hit 50, like the Black hand quest line. 

Mage skill lines have persuade and fighters guild has intimidate which can save a lot of time doing quests.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Alvonu said:
    Have you played since the One Tamriel update?

If not:

a) Whilst you don't have to do the Molag Bal quest line you can now do it all in one go without the 10 level wait before being able to pick up the next part of the quest. So it becomes a quick way of getting skill points. 

b) After you get to level 50 a new character will get the number of CP points of your highest level character. Essentially gained by doing quests, killing mobs, PvP - whatever. So - from an "experience" point of view - its as though a new alt has done everything your other characters have. They won;t have any specific abilities granted so if they want those they would need to repeat the quests but as a result you can be very picky about what you want to do.
    [Deleted User]
    edited February 2018
    gervaise1 said:
    Alvonu said:
    Have you played since the One Tamriel update?

If not:

a) Whilst you don't have to do the Molag Bal quest line you can now do it all in one go without the 10 level wait before being able to pick up the next part of the quest. So it becomes a quick way of getting skill points. 

b) After you get to level 50 a new character will get the number of CP points of your highest level character. Essentially gained by doing quests, killing mobs, PvP - whatever. So - from an "experience" point of view - its as though a new alt has done everything your other characters have. They won;t have any specific abilities granted so if they want those they would need to repeat the quests but as a result you can be very picky about what you want to do.
    And if you haven't played in a long time, the last time I did Molag Bal they had really turned it down a lot.  I was all set for this epic battle and he lost really fast, I was surprised how easy it had gotten. 
    [Deleted User]

Leiloni said:

Trying to master animation canceling will indeed induce pain lol.  Probably better for your health that you are playing causally. 
    Playing casually is definitely something I've had to accept haha but I'm ok with it now. Fits my life better anyway at this point, but I definitely played both PvP and PvE more semi-hardcore before - not as much in this game as others. It's an adjustment at first though for sure, teaching yourself how to approach games with a different mindset. 
    gervaise1rodingo
  • hallucigenocidehallucigenocide Member RarePosts: 1,015
    xNIAx1 said:
    There's probably more comments on this post than there is people actually playing the game.
    K?

I had fun once, it was terrible.

• Gobstopper3DGobstopper3D Member RarePosts: 965
    ESO has some of the biggest gold sinks in any of the mmo's I have played. The good news is, you can always spend crowns instead! ;)

I'm not an IT Specialist, Game Developer, or Clairvoyant in real life, but like others on here, I play one on the internet.