Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can A:IR and Bless Revitalize the AAA MMORPG? - Bill Murphy - MMORPG.com

124

Comments

  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,017
    They both run like absolute shit even on the tech demos.

    BLESS has failed massively in every territory it launched in. I'm surprised they're even bothering with it.
  • jarsku85jarsku85 Member UncommonPosts: 83
    edited February 2018

    DMKano said:

    In current state - Bless will only disappoint. The Korean devs are making a HUGE mistake letting an unfinished version on Steam be the firsr impression in the west.





    Why it would be mistake ? They soft launched Black Squad to steam early access as alpha and it has got over 10k concurrent players everyday for like half year now (source: http://steamcharts.com/app/550650 ) :) Also it's player base is raising every day now. PLUS it is only 100 % free F2P FPS on the market :)
    cjmarsh
  • RealizerRealizer Member RarePosts: 724
    In short, nope. Reason being is Bless rework doesn't seem to be focused on fixing the actual engine issues. From what I understand they are just changing menu items and making things look more inviting and easier to navigate. The issue they had was a memory leak with rapidly degrading fps in pvp fights, among other things.  I actually tested this game via VPN and a friends log in. 

    A:IR has a neat concept with the airships, but I haven't tested it for myself, or even seen enough of it to give an opinion either way. I was more excited about this when it was still called Project W. Honestly I lost a bit of hype when I saw, "created with Unreal Engine 3... "
  • HefaistosHefaistos Member UncommonPosts: 346
    I play mmo for 20 years. I was insulted by BDO KAKAO with their pay to upgrade, pay to skip, pay to win tactics. I will never ever BUY another game from this company and mostly asian online games.
  • TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 19,934
    Nilden said:
    You mean the three and four player co-op from Destiny 2 and Warframe didn't already revitalize the (in Jim Sterling voice) "triple A" MMORPG?

    Image result for flabbergasted
    Well, let's see both CoD:WWII and Destiny 2 carried Activisions bottom line, so "Yes!" is the answer to your question.
    Fedora - A modern, free, and open source Operating System. https://getfedora.org/

    traveller, interloper, anomaly, iteration


  • cjmarshcjmarsh Member UncommonPosts: 299
    Torval said:
    Nilden said:
    You mean the three and four player co-op from Destiny 2 and Warframe didn't already revitalize the (in Jim Sterling voice) "triple A" MMORPG?

    Image result for flabbergasted
    Well, let's see both CoD:WWII and Destiny 2 carried Activisions bottom line, so "Yes!" is the answer to your question.
    The question was about how the two titles weren't really a member of the genre not about how profitable they were...
    Scot
  • TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 19,934
    Nilden said:
    lahnmir said:



    DMKano said:

    In current state - Bless will only disappoint. The Korean devs are making a HUGE mistake letting an unfinished version on Steam be the firsr impression in the west.

    AIR - too little is known to make an educated opinion at this time.




    coming from a devout WoW fan, I'll take 2 grains of salt. 

    I'll take niche over theme park treadmills any day of the week.



    Good for you...

    To revitalize an interest in AAA games requires a demonstration of mass market appeal to justify the cost, something that at least WoW historically achieved and somewhat maintains.

    No matter how good a game scratches a niche it will at best inspire more niche, and as such won't revitalize anything.
    What is there to revitalize? What the fuck are you even talking about. The only people complaining that the market is stale are WoW players.  THe only people whining are "WoW players. There are hundred of millions of non-wow players enjoying many types of games. 

    For real, Black Desert is populated, Blade and Soul Populated, GW 2 is populated, Eve is populated. This fallacy that a genre is dead because WoW is still losing players, is not only redundant but ignorantly misleading.


    WoWplayer says "Boo hoo im not happy in the genre, so sniffle sniffle its dead and needs revitalized. "

    Tjhe Mars Orbital death ray says "Get the fuck out of here with the whiny bullshit"
    Interesting. Because all the "boohoo the genre is dying" nonsense I hear comes from people that don't like WoW. I have never, ever heard WoW players complain about this. Its the group that keeps calling every other MMO a WoW clone and WoW a dumb kiddie game that keep on whining about the death and decay of the genre. I have been around here for a fair while and have never seen what you describe. The opposite though? Many a time. 

    /Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Hell if I was going to write an article on something revitalizing the genre it would be classic WoW.
    And it is too. It's not just one thing that's going to do it. It will be the games people are interested in playing together. Divinity: Original Sin 2 has seriously contributed to revitalizing people playing classic CRPGs together online like NWN. The class reboots of games like D:OS2 has contributed to classic NWN getting a reboot. That all works together each contributing in their own way.
    cjmarshblueturtle13
    Fedora - A modern, free, and open source Operating System. https://getfedora.org/

    traveller, interloper, anomaly, iteration


  • TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 19,934
    cjmarsh said:
    Torval said:
    Nilden said:
    You mean the three and four player co-op from Destiny 2 and Warframe didn't already revitalize the (in Jim Sterling voice) "triple A" MMORPG?

    Image result for flabbergasted
    Well, let's see both CoD:WWII and Destiny 2 carried Activisions bottom line, so "Yes!" is the answer to your question.
    The question was about how the two titles weren't really a member of the genre not about how profitable they were...
    Then small minded comments shouldn't be couched in questions that work against the point.
    Fedora - A modern, free, and open source Operating System. https://getfedora.org/

    traveller, interloper, anomaly, iteration


  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    Torval said:
    cjmarsh said:
    Torval said:
    Nilden said:
    You mean the three and four player co-op from Destiny 2 and Warframe didn't already revitalize the (in Jim Sterling voice) "triple A" MMORPG?

    Image result for flabbergasted
    Well, let's see both CoD:WWII and Destiny 2 carried Activisions bottom line, so "Yes!" is the answer to your question.
    The question was about how the two titles weren't really a member of the genre not about how profitable they were...
    Then small minded comments shouldn't be couched in questions that work against the point.
    That's why I included the cat picture.

    "You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

    "classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

    Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer



  • butznutzbutznutz Member UncommonPosts: 17
    I just hope both have a good cashshop
    CryomatrixConstantineMerus
  • CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 2,911
    butznutz said:
    I just hope both have a good cashshop
    lol
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • cameltosiscameltosis Member EpicPosts: 2,499
    I can't see either revitalising the AAA market in the west. 

    First, there are the cultural issues. Not only in terms of our preferences for payment models, but actually being able to connect to the lore and the worlds. Like it or not, the west loves medieval-style high fantasy. Swords and shields, bows and arrows, orcs, elves and dragons. Thats what we love and that's what we connect to. 


    Second, gameplay. A:IR sounds like it is taking a different approach to gameplay so maybe it stands half a hope, but Bless sounds like more of the same so will not do well. I still feel like the majority of MMO designers still don't understand the fundamentals of the genre and what it takes to design a compelling massively multiplayer game. 


    Finally, marketing. To be a hit, you have to get the marketing right. I haven't witnessed much evidence from either game that they're on top of their marketing. I might be wrong though, maybe they'll turn on their marketing engine closer to launch. 
    Mendel
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 3,441
    lahnmir said:
    Nilden said:
    lahnmir said:



    DMKano said:

    In current state - Bless will only disappoint. The Korean devs are making a HUGE mistake letting an unfinished version on Steam be the firsr impression in the west.

    AIR - too little is known to make an educated opinion at this time.




    coming from a devout WoW fan, I'll take 2 grains of salt. 

    I'll take niche over theme park treadmills any day of the week.



    Good for you...

    To revitalize an interest in AAA games requires a demonstration of mass market appeal to justify the cost, something that at least WoW historically achieved and somewhat maintains.

    No matter how good a game scratches a niche it will at best inspire more niche, and as such won't revitalize anything.
    What is there to revitalize? What the fuck are you even talking about. The only people complaining that the market is stale are WoW players.  THe only people whining are "WoW players. There are hundred of millions of non-wow players enjoying many types of games. 

    For real, Black Desert is populated, Blade and Soul Populated, GW 2 is populated, Eve is populated. This fallacy that a genre is dead because WoW is still losing players, is not only redundant but ignorantly misleading.


    WoWplayer says "Boo hoo im not happy in the genre, so sniffle sniffle its dead and needs revitalized. "

    Tjhe Mars Orbital death ray says "Get the fuck out of here with the whiny bullshit"
    Interesting. Because all the "boohoo the genre is dying" nonsense I hear comes from people that don't like WoW. I have never, ever heard WoW players complain about this. Its the group that keeps calling every other MMO a WoW clone and WoW a dumb kiddie game that keep on whining about the death and decay of the genre. I have been around here for a fair while and have never seen what you describe. The opposite though? Many a time. 

    /Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Hell if I was going to write an article on something revitalizing the genre it would be classic WoW.
    Absolutely. But when you have an anti WoW agenda going on it is easy to bend the truth to fit your narrative.

    /Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Perfect avatar . 
    Definitely! Shaun the sheep is the leader of the flock, very smart and always keeps his head (thank you Wiki). He is also the product of an amazingly talented studio called Aardman Productions who are also responsible for Wallace and Grommit and Chicken Run. They are well known for their high quality work and have even recieved an Emmy for it. 

    So thank you, quite the compliment!

    /Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    ConstantineMerusTorval
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

    Kyleran on yours sincerely 


    'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

    Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...



    'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

    It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

    It is just huge resource waste....'

    Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

  • VyethVyeth Member UncommonPosts: 1,461


    They just want to level up fast and get lots of 733T LOOT or PvP and PWN noobs and get all their drops. Well, that's exactly what's ruining MMO"RPG"s for the rest of us!



    This is literally the mindset of nearly every console mmo player currently playing either FF XIV or ESO.. They get so pissed off even if you stop to listen to story bits during a first time dungeon run.

    "Gamerz" through and through.
  • rammur65rammur65 Member UncommonPosts: 106


    Cash shop will determine how successful these games are in the west, not the actual gameplay. Sad, but true.



    If there's a 1% chance upgrade system that requires a cash shop item for a guaranteed success rate, it's all over. Black Desert has managed to fool a lot of people into ignoring it's P2W aspect since the game has lots of other unique features that distract people from it. A:IR and Bless don't look like they will be able to pull that off.



    literally just quoted why black desert is not a p2w game wtg bro lol. i havnt bought anything in black desert.only p2w if your forced into paying for upgrades which we are not.
  • aCi11i3saCi11i3s Member UncommonPosts: 54
    If neither is subscription based then no. Bless probably has zero chance anyway, and AIR seems gimmicky. We shall see
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    rammur65 said:


    Cash shop will determine how successful these games are in the west, not the actual gameplay. Sad, but true.



    If there's a 1% chance upgrade system that requires a cash shop item for a guaranteed success rate, it's all over. Black Desert has managed to fool a lot of people into ignoring it's P2W aspect since the game has lots of other unique features that distract people from it. A:IR and Bless don't look like they will be able to pull that off.



    literally just quoted why black desert is not a p2w game wtg bro lol. i havnt bought anything in black desert.only p2w if your forced into paying for upgrades which we are not.
    Sounds like you just haven't progressed enough yet or aren't competitive.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • lindenmeyerlindenmeyer Member UncommonPosts: 51
    Bless is a old mmo already, probally dead on Asia ... Air i have no ideas, looks cool, but as F2P , not much hopes
  • neofitneofit Member UncommonPosts: 18
    "Can A:IR and Bless Revitalize the AAA MMORPG"? Try revitalizing them with something non-manga and without forced-PVP for a change.
  • sanshi44sanshi44 Member UncommonPosts: 1,187

    Horusra said:

    no PvP centric game is going to save MMORPG's.



    Im the other way no PvE only game is gonna save the genre :p atleast for me, PvE is always tedious and boring nothing unexpected happens and alsong as u can dance through some hoops/simple instructions (That get easier when people cry its to hard) it just becomes a lackluster game
    Mikeha
  • WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,803
    Bill, neither game really has the capacity to refresh a old, worn out formula thats well past its use by date. I've been following Bless for quite some time. Its graphics look GREAT, but its game play...Not so much. I seriously doubt that either will do all that well in the west, these days. I wish them both the best of luck, but I'm not expecting much from either.
    Torval
    "If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • cjmarshcjmarsh Member UncommonPosts: 299
    A:IR has a shot based on the influx of cash Kakao just got. It will be interesting to see if they give it the polish and localization work necessary to succeed in the west.
  • RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,839
    AIR is going to need to change the way air vehicles fly if they want players to feel engaged.

    Played: AA, AC1, AC2, Aion, AO, AoC, BDO, CO, CoX, DAoC, DCUO, EVE, EQ1, EQ2,
    ESO, Fallen Earth, FFXI, FFXIV, GW1, GW2, Istaria, L2, LoTRO, MxO, Neverwinter, Rift, RoE,
    Ryzom, Shadowbane, SWG, SWTOR, TERA, TSW, WAR, WoW, WURM...and a bunch of others not worth mentioning.


    Joined - July 2004

  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 17,525
    This site has not been posting anything that says we need to revitalize the genre.
    So what is the true agenda of this thread,simple click bait or a witty way to endorse business partners or proposed partners in crime?

    Search site for the word "numbers".Notice how many threads this site has been posting that boast big year,big numbers,big sales,great year incoming yada yada.Wow loves to boast big numbers,GW2 goty,Rift been a long time endorsed product,VERY old games still out there making money EQ.FFXI,Ultima.So now all of a sudden we need to revitalize,hmmm yeah something looks way off here.
    Bill has been basically saying he wants badly to play every single game they make a thread on ,so yeah where is this revitalizing coming from?This is like creating a double standard.

    AIR is going to need to change the way air vehicles fly if they want players to feel engaged.
    That is a SIMPLE gimmick to entice people.Everything flying entices sales,it did for Aion,flying mounts are huge sales in games,Airships or any kind of in the air stuff is intriguing to gamer's,so it sells,it can even sell a weak product.Just look at SC people were spending MORE ,WAY more than any game is worth on ships before there was even a game.

    Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

  • ShaddyDaddyShaddyDaddy Member UncommonPosts: 187
    Wizardry said:
    This site has not been posting anything that says we need to revitalize the genre.
    So what is the true agenda of this thread,simple click bait or a witty way to endorse business partners or proposed partners in crime?

    Search site for the word "numbers".Notice how many threads this site has been posting that boast big year,big numbers,big sales,great year incoming yada yada.Wow loves to boast big numbers,GW2 goty,Rift been a long time endorsed product,VERY old games still out there making money EQ.FFXI,Ultima.So now all of a sudden we need to revitalize,hmmm yeah something looks way off here.
    Bill has been basically saying he wants badly to play every single game they make a thread on ,so yeah where is this revitalizing coming from?This is like creating a double standard.

    AIR is going to need to change the way air vehicles fly if they want players to feel engaged.
    That is a SIMPLE gimmick to entice people.Everything flying entices sales,it did for Aion,flying mounts are huge sales in games,Airships or any kind of in the air stuff is intriguing to gamer's,so it sells,it can even sell a weak product.Just look at SC people were spending MORE ,WAY more than any game is worth on ships before there was even a game.

    cjmarsh
Sign In or Register to comment.