Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Elder Scrolls Online - The 5 Best Things in Dragon Bones - Update 17 - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited February 2018 in News & Features Discussion

imageElder Scrolls Online - The 5 Best Things in Dragon Bones - Update 17 - MMORPG.com

Dragon Bones, Elder Scrolls Online’s latest update (Update 17 to be exact) launched yesterday on PC. It comes out in 2 weeks for XBOX and PS4, and brings with it a heaping host of great changes. While the two new dungeons are paid DLC, the bulk of the changes and additions are free for all. Today we’re listing the five best things in ESO’s Update 17…

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• etharnetharn Member UncommonPosts: 152
    Only thing I was excited for was outfit system.

A man who fears nothing is a man who loves nothing; and if you love nothing, what joy is there in your life?

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003
    etharn said:
    I was excited for the leveling up guide but not that I've seen it, it seems only half baked.

Oh sure, it gives you skills to get but doesn't say much about armor/weapons. Which means, any player who doesn't already know something about the game could really screw themselves over.
    pantaro
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • ElvocElvoc Member RarePosts: 546
    The level up guide is just so so, but the level up rewards are kind of a nice addition to character leveling, I like the new housing storage, I was unaware of the free one at 18, makes leveling alts worth it even more now :)
    YashaXOctagon7711infomatzAaronGRSinsai
  • pantaropantaro Member RarePosts: 515
    so it's wonderful and fantastic to be nickel and dimed? lol according to many the cost is ridiculous regarding the outfit system.
    to each there own tho i guess
    Tillerjosko9Sinsai
  • ScottJeslisScottJeslis Member UncommonPosts: 355

Elidien said:

I have been enjoying the patch a lot. You can waste a lot of time (unknowingly) with the outfit system for sure.

Agreed! Hi Elidien ~ Benbrada
    Hell26[Deleted User]Sinsai
  • SamhaelSamhael Member RarePosts: 1,498

Elidien said:

I have been enjoying the patch a lot. You can waste a lot of time (unknowingly) with the outfit system for sure.

Agreed! Hi Elidien ~ Benbrada

Shhh. I thought I was the only one that knew your sekret identity.
  • LeiloniLeiloni Member RarePosts: 1,266

Sovrath said:

etharn said:

I was excited for the leveling up guide but not that I've seen it, it seems only half baked.

Oh sure, it gives you skills to get but doesn't say much about armor/weapons. Which means, any player who doesn't already know something about the game could really screw themselves over.

Not really. XP and Skill points come in abundance in ESO so you can always switch to a more appropriate build and pretty quickly start leveling up the appropriate skill lines. Or if you're lazy you can reset all your skill points and start from scratch, only worrying about the XP gain part.
    Sinsai

pantaro said:

so it's wonderful and fantastic to be nickel and dimed? lol according to many the cost is ridiculous regarding the outfit system.

to each there own tho i guess

Not really. You get a free outfit slot and it only costs gold to "decorate" that slot, choosing which looks to skin over your armor. Standard motifs are pretty cheap and the rare ones are obviously more expensive. If you want to be lazy you can pay crowns to switch your look instead of gold, but there's no need to do that. The only thing you'd HAVE to pay crowns for is if you wanted to buy a second outfit slot - say to have two different looks saved at the same time.

Maybe if you wanted to switch looks a lot, or if you had two different gear sets you switched between. But most people won't need to do that. I'd say only the more hardcore will do that and that's just the cost of one month's sub anyway. The costume system is still in tact and separate from this, though, so you can still switch between costumes at will instead if you prefer that to an outfit.
    Sinsai
  • BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    Not liking the heavy cash shop focus of this patch but whatever.
    cjmarshjosko9SinsaiGobstopper3D
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Sovrath said:
    etharn said:

That's the basic default build for each class. The other builds in the adviser (magicka DPS, Stamina DPS, Healer and Tank) do include armor and weapon skill recommendations.

It's ironic that the one build it defaults to and that newer players will be most likely to try totally ignores armor and weapon recommendations.

I gave them as much feedback as I could while on the PTS about it telling them this was a mistake but I guess it was more important to them for some unknown reason to remain neutral in not directing new players toward either magicka or stamina with their appropriate armor and weapons.

As I said in my thread here about that system a couple of weeks ago, considering the available adviser options, a new player would be best served by following the magicka DPS build and specifically the ones for either the Warden, Sorcerer or Templar since those are the easiest classes to level early due to access to end-game caliber self-heals before level 5.

Magicka DPS with all light armor using a destro staff at first and getting a resto staff as the 2nd weapon at level 15 is by far the easiest way to level for new players. But that build doesn't exist in the adviser and it's sort of a mix of their magicka DPS and healer builds. 
    SovrathMegilindirOctagon7711Sinsai
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• LacedOpiumLacedOpium Member EpicPosts: 2,327

The outfit system does seem a bit expensive, especially for new players.  That being said, gold sinks are a necessary evil.  Players may not like gold sinks but they do add a level of economic challenge to the game and keep the game interesting.  Wouldn't mind seeing those costs go down a bit though.  After all is said and done though, a new outfit can run as much as 10,000 gold or more.  That ain't no joke.  It can use some adjusting.  
    Sinsai

The outfit system does seem a bit expensive, especially for new players.  That being said, gold sinks are a necessary evil.  Players may not like gold sinks but they do add a level of economic challenge to the game and keep the game interesting.  Wouldn't mind seeing those costs go down a bit though.  After all is said and done though, a new outfit can run as much as 10,000 gold or more.  That ain't no joke.  It can use some adjusting.  
    On the PTS we figured out that using the more expensive styles the top end was around 30K for an outfit... yeah, a bit over the top as gold sinks go.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• DijonCyanideDijonCyanide Member UncommonPosts: 586
    1 - The Level Up Guide and Experience ... ESO's leveling up to max level wasn't bad at all, but once you have to begin grinding those CPs it can really suck. If this helps with that progression I'm all for it. The reason why I stopped subscribing was I began feeling like I was grinding away day after day with no to too little progression.

2 - The Outfit System ... This isn't a priority to me, but I understand to many it is & sometimes it is nice when one earns some cool looking outfit or buys one.

3 - Home Storage ... Since I don't own a house besides one I bought from within the game's system I never invested into the housing. I can definitely see this as a nice contribution with these changes for players that enjoy the housing element & have multiple toons.

4 - Combat Changes ... I didn't think ESO's combat system was bad at all before but with these changes I bet it will only get better. As the article stated many of the changes are small but those small changes can add significantly.

5 - The New Dungeons and Battlegrounds ... I hadn't delved much into Dungeons nor Battlegrounds, but if they're of quality then more is usually welcomed. From the videos I've viewed & some I've read about they appear that they can be much fun, but of course you need a group or larger.

edited February 2018
    Iselin said:
    Sovrath said:
    etharn said:

That's the basic default build for each class. The other builds in the adviser (magicka DPS, Stamina DPS, Healer and Tank) do include armor and weapon skill recommendations.

I just went in game but don't see it. It does say that the build is health or magicka or stamina but I see nothing about armor and weapons on any of the builds. Now, this is for templar so maybe they got added elsewhere.

It also says whether it's a tank or damage, etc.
     edit: though apparently the wiki gives this information.

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Sovrath said:
    Iselin said:
    Sovrath said:
    etharn said:

I just went in game but don't see it. It does say that the build is health or magicka or stamina but I see nothing about armor and weapons on any of the builds. Now, this is for templar so maybe they got added elsewhere.

I just double-checked my templar and the recommended weapon and armor skills are there for both the "Gleaming Champion" magicka damage dealer and "Beacon of Hope" healer.

Did you look on the right hand panel that has all the skills? The left hand panel will only show you whatever 3 skills in the build it thinks you should be taking next but the right hand panel puts a double border at the corners of all the skills in the build.

Just pick "Gleaming Champion", look under light armor and destuction staff and you'll see the double border around the destro ultimate and the 2nd skill as well as all the recommended passives. Look under light armor and you'll see it around almost everything there.
    Sovrath

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

Iselin said:
    Sovrath said:
    Iselin said:
    Sovrath said:
    etharn said:

I just double-checked my templar and the recommended weapon and armor skills are there for both the "Gleaming Champion" magicka damage dealer and "Beacon of Hope" healer.

Did you look on the right hand panel that has all the skills? The left hand panel will only show you whatever 3 skills in the build it thinks you should be taking next but the right hand panel puts a double border at the corners of all the skills in the build.

Just pick "Gleaming Champion", look under light armor and destuction staff and you'll see the double border around the destro ultimate and the 2nd skill as well as all the recommended passives. Look under light armor and you'll see it around almost everything there.
    Ah, I see now. That's not what I was expecting but it now makes perfect sense. thanks!

edited February 2018
    Sovrath said:
    Iselin said:
    Sovrath said:
    Iselin said:
    Sovrath said:
    etharn said:

Ah, I see now. That's not what I was expecting but it now makes perfect sense. thanks!
    The adviser will get around to suggesting on the left hand pane all of those skills in the build that have the double border but it has it's own sense of what it prioritizes... often not how I would do it but good first steps.

The basics of building still apply since it's only those skill lines you have on your active bar when you gain experience that will advance: put one skill on your bar from each of your 3 class skill lines and one from your weapon and use the 5th skill slot to add a second skill from the line that you want to level faster to, for example, get at the ultimate in that line or to get at a skill that's high up on that line. That is the most efficient way to prioritize.
    SovrathOctagon7711

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    edited February 2018

As discussed in the pre-launch thread in which the costs were described as "ludicrous". 
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Wow their outfit system is expensive.  GW2s OFS is dirt cheap compared to ESO.
    [Deleted User]

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• KabonKabon Member UncommonPosts: 78
    edited February 2018
    so is group combat worth anything yet or is everyone a healerdpstank still ? is there a 15 bucks a month option instead of paying 100 or 1000 of bucks for f2p crap because you need to if you dont want to grind forever ? is there anything you actually want to group for ? No ?

This is just another Modern MMO then.

I wonder why so many ppls pay f2p shit it should be forbidden by law. It ruins most games. Im tired of all thoose shallow attemps at MMO worlds. If thers any games that focus on PVE and Grouping and not on ppls Bank Account wake me up i try cryofreezing chambers next wake me up once a game shows up that is worth playing.
    RexKushmanViper482Ayin
  • MajmMajm Member UncommonPosts: 14
    The more I play ESO (about 4 months as my main MMO now), the more i get angry about how they beg me to spend more and more money on it. Not that i have to but i think that things like outfit slots, personal banker and trader and other things like that should be free as a plus member...Not to mention that this game is practically unplayable without plus xD (I know its me, but the bag just got me there).

I am not talking P2W. Just that there are too many QoL improvements in exchange of even more money after buying the game AND paying my sub...
    BruceYeeOctagon7711
    edited February 2018

Only if you use rare motifs would it cost that much. Using the basic motifs - the only ones a new player will have access to anyway - only costs 400 gold for an entire outfit. But you often won't need to bother with the entire outfit because things like gloves or waist are not noticed as much and if you're wearing a robe, you don't see pants at all.  Hiding a hat is free. Dying them costs a similarly small amount, although again, a new player doesn't have a ton of dyes anyway.,

Stop acting like this costs a fortune that people can't afford. It's simply not true. This entire outfit on my newbie Mag DK only cost 550 gold, but most of that was dyes. I think about 200 of it was the gear skins.

RexKushman
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    The outfit system, I've not found this info anywhere.. do you have to keep the items or does it unlock them permanently? Account wide or not?
    BruceYee
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • XarkoXarko Member EpicPosts: 1,180
    Still no necromancer skill tree? I guess I check again next year then...
    Octagon7711
  • LacedOpiumLacedOpium Member EpicPosts: 2,327
    edited February 2018
    Leiloni said:

Only if you use rare motifs would it cost that much. Using the basic motifs - the only ones a new player will have access to anyway - only costs 400 gold for an entire outfit. But you often won't need to bother with the entire outfit because things like gloves or waist are not noticed as much and if you're wearing a robe, you don't see pants at all.  Hiding a hat is free. Dying them costs a similarly small amount, although again, a new player doesn't have a ton of dyes anyway.,

Stop acting like this costs a fortune that people can't afford. It's simply not true. This entire outfit on my newbie Mag DK only cost 550 gold, but most of that was dyes. I think about 200 of it was the gear skins.

To be fair, I said that an outfit can cost as much as 10,000 or more.  That is a fact, not an exaggeration.  Iselin went a bit further and added that on the PTS they were running as high as 30,000.  Now, obviously not every outfit will cost that much.  No doubt one can skimp and penny pinch and make an outfit happen for less.  But is that really what you are advocating?  For the majority player base to simply settle for something cheap and inexpensive, even though it isn't what they really want, just because it is all they can afford?  That doesn't make the system right or inexpensive, all it does is strip the enjoyment out of the system because it is cost restricting and the costs overwhelm the experience/process.    

Case in point ...

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/395550/well-zos-found-a-new-way-to-triggor-me

Listen, I like ESO a lot.  Matter of fact, overall, I am of the opinion that it is the best MMORPG in the market right now.  But that doesn't mean it's perfect.  The costume system in ESO as it currently stands is a bit on the high side.  I'm just telling it like it is.  If you really like ESO and you want it to continue to grow and succeed well into the future a bit of constructive criticism is a lot more helpful than supporting/promoting a flawed system that in the long run only serves to stew discontent in its player base.  I am even willing to bet that Zen/Beth will soon realize this and make the proper adjustment.