Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A Glimpse at Medieval Life - The RPG Files - MMORPG.com

Comments

• YoofaloofYoofaloof Member UncommonPosts: 217
    edited February 2018
    I must be lucky. Five hours in and no problems as yet. Only negative for me is that NPC's moan when they bump into ME..but I get that IRL...so I'll put that down to art imitating life. I'm loving the story, cutscenes and all the fine detail, speedrunners must be spitting feathers.
    SovrathYashaX
  • GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,470
    Sounds like 100% Euro jank. Pass.
    Dreadstoneofxev

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• AlpiusAlpius Member UncommonPosts: 247
    8 hours in and having a blast, have had no problems and the occasional autosave is enough for when i die.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    edited February 2018
    So this is a simulation.  This is like The Witcher without monsters and witchers.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015
    So this is a simulation.  This is like The Witcher without monsters and witchers.
    It's not a fantasy game.
    d_20bartoni33
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878
    edited February 2018
    In my first two attempts in the tutorial:

(1) Got thrown in jail and died in a fire
    (2) Got my ass handed to me by the town drunk 

So you definitely don't start out as some savior told of in the prophesies. This, I love.
    SovrathYashaX

• CryolitycalCryolitycal Member UncommonPosts: 205
    Honest opinion:

- you can't manually save without some dumb item, wtf
    - 1070Ti/8700K and can't keep 60 fps with all maxed@1080p
    - areas like indoors looking at a damn simple door can drop you to 40 fps, and outside looking at a city 60 fps no issues, yes, more wtf
    - frametimes all over the place
    - animations are VERY slow and clunky
    - combat system is slow and boring
    - there are loading times after some cutscenes (!!!!!!!!! wtf?!?)
    - the story might be of interest for somebody fascinated with the utter dumpster history period that was Medieval Europe. People were unwashed, ill, violence won over everything else, the church would burn people they didn't like, war was as common as football games today. No, there seems to be no saving grace to it, it's just medieval crap. You don't even seem to be able to be a wizard/mage, so for me already that put the game on "I'll probably uninstall soon" list

Pretty much installed this because it was "advertised" by the Nvidia driver. Glad I didn't buy it. I'm uninstalling it now.

If you like the game, more power to you, I respect that. But what I said above is still truth and people that might be interested in paying for this should know.
  • DavodtheTuttDavodtheTutt Member UncommonPosts: 415
    Wait... is this a SINGLE PLAYER game? and you have to play as Henry? and it's $60 up front?

Oh well. Not for me, but I do like several of the aspects. Be nice if an MMORPG with a free demo and then monthly subscription could incorporate them. Only of course with a wide variety of character choices. And the ability to zoom back for an over-the-shoulder view. First Person can actually spoil the immersion for me, as it feels like I'm trapped in something that cuts off my peripheral vision.

I think the part I liked best was "At the same time, its open-ended dialogues can change the course of entire quests based on the stats you’re going in with. For the first time in ages, we have a AAA, first-person RPG that allows you to talk your way through situations instead of forcing you into fight or only presenting the illusion of choice."

It also sounds like there's quite a variety of possible actions and consequences even in the tutorial.

The other thing that I might like the best was the immersive, "real world" feel, where just walking through the forest is something you can enjoy.

I definitely hope more games incorporate such features!
    Cryolitycal
  • DvoraDvora Member UncommonPosts: 499
    edited February 2018
    Eh does dark souls let you save in the middle of a boss fight?  People deal with that not sure why they can't deal with this.  If your kids are so needy that you can't just back track a bit to a safer area to afk for a bit and then come back later to save and log out then I'd say you need to spend more time parenting anyway lol.

I don't see a huge reason not to put in a quick save but I don't see a big issue either, it just adds a bit more challenge.  Being able to save too often and too easily really does cheapen any game a bit imo.  Bunch of whiners as far as I'm concerned.
    bartoni33Kyleran
  • DvoraDvora Member UncommonPosts: 499
    edited February 2018
    Honest opinion:

- areas like indoors looking at a damn simple door can drop you to 40 fps, and outside looking at a city 60 fps no issues, yes, more wtf
    - the story might be of interest for somebody fascinated with the utter dumpster history period that was Medieval Europe. People were unwashed, ill, violence won over everything else, the church would burn people they didn't like, war was as common as football games today. No, there seems to be no saving grace to it, it's just medieval crap. You don't even seem to be able to be a wizard/mage, so for me already that put the game on "I'll probably uninstall soon" list

Pretty much installed this because it was "advertised" by the Nvidia driver. Glad I didn't buy it. I'm uninstalling it now.

If you like the game, more power to you, I respect that. But what I said above is still truth and people that might be interested in paying for this should know.
    You speak as if your system is top of the line, and like 60-40 is really bad fps for an open world game as pretty as this.  I still chuckle at people that say they can see a difference between TRUE 30fps  and anything higher.  It may be that the framerate display is over averaging and doesnt show the dips below 30 but true 30fps is pretty flawless.  Movies in theaters are shown at 30fps, except for a few gimicky ones that go for 60.  

As far as slow, boring combat, maybe for some, but I'd bet you're they type that likes flashy spammy asian anime style combat.  Bleh.  

For the saving system again I say big deal...
    Kyleran
  • CryolitycalCryolitycal Member UncommonPosts: 205
    edited February 2018

Dvora said:

Honest opinion:

You speak as if your system is top of the line, and like 60-40 is really bad fps for an open world game as pretty as this.  I still laugh at people that say they can see a difference between TRUE 30fps  and anything higher.  It may be that the framerate display is over averaging and doesnt show the dips below 30 but true 30fps is pretty flawless.  Movies in theaters are shown at 30fps, except for a few gimicky ones that go for 60.  

As far as slow, boring combat, maybe for some, but I'd bet you're they type that likes flashy spammy asian anime style combat.  Bleh.  

For the saving system again I say...QQ lol.

My system might not be the very top of the line, but my CPU is the best CPU out there, my RAM is pretty fast, and my GPU is about th 3rd-4th most powerful gaming/consumer GPU available, depending on the title.

And more importantly, I play @1080p, so yes, at this low resolution, I do expect constant 60 fps from a game that looks about as good as Witcher 3, but released 3 years later.

As for your 30 fps is enough argument, dear lord, that was well put to its well deserved death years ago. Your average gamer can spot locked 30 vs 60 with 100% accuracy. Hell, I can spot 100 or 90 vs 60 too with ease.

PS: I hate Asian crap. I'm more of a classic RPG dude that grew with Baldur's Gate and such. I'd love me some more Dragon Age Origins and Mass Effect classics, with modern graphics. I can play MOBAs and shooters, but it's not what I would like to play, I'd rather want to re-experience the engrossing RPG stories of the past and the unforgettable moments of first time raiding in WoW within Molten Core and Blackwing Lair, after a 2 months epic trip to level cap.

I'd still prefer to be a wizard/mage in RPGs, cause this is what I like, instead of swinging some sword like Conan the Barbarian, it's just not my fantasy, I prefer to play as a hot chick that sets stuff on fire and performs shatter combos on frozen enemies. Playing as a random unwashed dude from 1300AD that's basically either a thief or brute of sorts is as meh as it gets.
    Post edited by Cryolitycal on
    YashaX
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

Viper482 said:

I guess some people don't want to be immersed in the world....

I appreciate choice too, but I respect that 1st person is more immersive by design. I think it works really well in this game.
    Ironically 1st person feels less immersive to me because it's constantly reminding me of the limited awareness of my surroundings that it provides. 1st person in VR, once VR matures to that point, will be great but in the meantime 3rd person to me feels like a better simulation of what I would be aware of in real life thanks to my peripheral vision and other sensory cues.

3rd person does in fact go too far the other way and makes you preternaturally aware so it's not perfect either. But all in all I find it more realistically immersive. 
    YashaXbartoni33DavodtheTutt
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960

Dvora said:

Honest opinion:

You speak as if your system is top of the line, and like 60-40 is really bad fps for an open world game as pretty as this.  I still chuckle at people that say they can see a difference between TRUE 30fps  and anything higher.  It may be that the framerate display is over averaging and doesnt show the dips below 30 but true 30fps is pretty flawless.  Movies in theaters are shown at 30fps, except for a few gimicky ones that go for 60.  

For the saving system again I say big deal...

Movies are shown in 24 FPS, sometimes 48. Also, might want to read up on the reasons why 24 FPS looks fine for a movie, and like stuttering garbage in a game before you make yourself look more ignorant than you already have.
    Cryolitycal

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    Not trolling, but I haven't really been able to find any posts about it. Videos probably would explain it to me, but youtube hasn't been working for me on my phone...

But, posts here are calling this a simulation. If its a true simulation, can you have a house and decorate it? Do the NPCs have immersive and lifelike behaviors like they do in Ultima 7 and Skyrim? Can you actually live in the world and never do the main quest if you don't want to do it (like UO 7/Skyrim and MMOs)? Is there a lot to explore and discover?

Or is it more like Witcher 3, where its just an open world and the only point of the game is for the world to look pretty, to beat the main story, maybe some side quests and never do anything else? 

Cause from what I read pre-release, it sounded more like the second one from what I got out of posts. Were they wrong? Or is that pretty accurate? 

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• TacticalZombehTacticalZombeh Member UncommonPosts: 430
    I'm thankful that I found the workaround for the potion saving.
    It's one thing to place save points at strategic times or strategic locations, it's another to actually limit saves in a way that is tedious.
    Note I said 'tedious', not 'hard'.

Hard is working your way from a bonfire through a bunch of mobs you might or might not be able to avoid in order to get back to the boss that kicked your ass.

Minor spoilers follow, but it's all in the first section of the game anyway.

Tedious is (example that put me over the edge):
    Henry returns to the burnt out remains of his town. Save point at a small church.
    Walk about a quarter mile, kill or scare off a corpse looter. Another quarter mile and reach the outer town proper, kill another looter. Explore this part of town then move on to the keep, around the back way to another gate. Kill another looter, enter the section of town inside the walls.

Walk up the main road and find what you're looking for. Cut scene.
    Go find an object, interact with some jerk, punch him in the face, get object.
    Go home and do what you need with the object.
    Return to the original objects of your search. Cutscene.
    More cutscene as more jerks show up.
    Brief fight you're not meant to win.
    Cutscene as the calvary arrives.
    More cutscenes.. your saviours do what you came to do, cause you're a mess.
    More cutscenes.. saviours haul your broke ass several towns away. Very long, very cinematic cutscenes.
    More cutscenes as your broke ass heals.
    Cutscene leading into dream sequence where you finally have agency.

Here I had to leave the game because several waypoints on the compass were left there from the beginning of this round of play and were making it seem like my actual goal wasn't there. The dream sequence is very visually obstructed.

Load the game back up... Henry's standing outside the church.

WTF?

I had essentially started up a new chapter, in fact the opening credits indicating the actual start of the game rolled... and not a single autosave after the church. And note, not a single opportunity to drink a save potion during the lengthy round of cutscenes. And no save at all during dream sequence.

Sorry, that doesn't magically make the game harder, it makes it more tedious.

Now, I would be remiss to say the game is bad. Badly optimized, bad save design, but...

The voice acting, music, cut scenes, p-cap, dialogue and depth of systems are all outstanding.
    With the save work-around, a good game so far.
    bartoni33wanderica
  • mikeb0817mikeb0817 Member UncommonPosts: 80
    "Can't Quick Save?!"

Just fu(kin Alt+Tab and let it run in the background if you need to leave the PC quickly. Jesus, it's not rocket science, and there are easy work arounds.
    bartoni33TheScavengerCryolitycal
  • catofmanycatofmany Member UncommonPosts: 30
    I'm just going to avoid a game by a racist main dev :P
    edited February 2018
    Not trolling, but I haven't really been able to find any posts about it. Videos probably would explain it to me, but youtube hasn't been working for me on my phone...

But, posts here are calling this a simulation. If its a true simulation, can you have a house and decorate it? Do the NPCs have immersive and lifelike behaviors like they do in Ultima 7 and Skyrim? Can you actually live in the world and never do the main quest if you don't want to do it (like UO 7/Skyrim and MMOs)? Is there a lot to explore and discover?

Or is it more like Witcher 3, where its just an open world and the only point of the game is for the world to look pretty, to beat the main story, maybe some side quests and never do anything else? 

Cause from what I read pre-release, it sounded more like the second one from what I got out of posts. Were they wrong? Or is that pretty accurate? 
    Now now, let's not get into the "if this is a true, real, x then it must have y" thing.

Just because something is very good at being a simulation of "something" doesn't mean it's going to have everything.

It simulates a lot of things but not "everything". It's also not an "open worldsandbox 'whatever' so of course I can make a castle and have my own army" game.

It's a story based game set in a specific time period telling a specific story and incorporating simulations regarding eating, how npc's react to you,  etc.

It also seems to allow different ways to do things.

Additionally, I don't think medieval peasants or soldiers spent a lot of time making their places showcases. B)
    YashaX

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

• AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    edited February 2018
    bartoni33 said:
    Oh god it gets worse.

Apparently their is no quicksave :o or saving on exit :s. Only saves when you drink something and when you sleep.

THAT is something that should have been made perfectly clear before launch.

I'm keeping hopes up (downloading now) but man that looks bad.
    I hear there is a mod that gives unlimited saves.

And as far as 1st person only is one reason I am not going to buy the game til its on a really good steam sale that way if I dont like it or it gives motion sickness as some first person games tend to give me I can refund it.

Maybe if enough people get a petion going or express their desire for third person mode to be added they will like how GTA V did. 

Or maybe it can be modded in.

Post edited by Asheram on
  • AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    SepellBade said:
    I agree. I have limited time and a quick save option is essential. maybe someone can mod one in.
    Someone already has.
    https://www.nexusmods.com/kingdomcomedeliverance/mods/1

Plus I didn't know this game has martial arts skills.  :p

• senadinsenadin Member UncommonPosts: 247
    All that bitching about saving is a moot point! You can very easily make unlimited FREE save potions! All you gota do is go collect Nettle and Belladona and go to an alchemy station. Furthermore, once your alchemy level is high enough, you can mass produce those super easily. Guess that is too hard for WoW generation of players. I mean that's beside the sleeping option to save. CRY CRY CRY says the WoW gen...
    TacticalZombehCryolitycal

• YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    senadin said:
    All that bitching about saving is a moot point! You can very easily make unlimited FREE save potions! All you gota do is go collect Nettle and Belladona and go to an alchemy station. Furthermore, once your alchemy level is high enough, you can mass produce those super easily. Guess that is too hard for WoW generation of players. I mean that's beside the sleeping option to save. CRY CRY CRY says the WoW gen...
    I am really enjoying the game, but I would prefer if they had a quick save option. It just seems a bit annoying, rather than being something that enhances the game. 
  • Hexag0nHexag0n Member UncommonPosts: 15
    UI looks like it was copied and pasted from Oblivion.
  • BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629
    Games really bad, I bought it and returned it same day. Just my 5 cent's.
    "The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

Betaguy said:
    Games really bad, I bought it and returned it same day. Just my 5 cent's.
    It's amazing how this game is really so divisive. I think it's pretty amazing.

I think we need more of this. On all sides. Games that are very focused on their demographics.
    [Deleted User]YashaXSpellshaper