Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

State of Elyria update from Caspien (Jan 2018)

Comments

• AshyLarry24AshyLarry24 Member UncommonPosts: 208
    And Goon Squad has already stopped by the CoE forums to recruit.  Apparently it hasn't garnered the attention of any of the major members/leaders yet.  But my sources tell me there is definitely CoE talk in the something awful forums.
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,985
    edited February 2018
    And Goon Squad has already stopped by the CoE forums to recruit.  Apparently it hasn't garnered the attention of any of the major members/leaders yet.  But my sources tell me there is definitely CoE talk in the something awful forums.
    Your sources are wrong...  at least nothing on the first few pages as of last weekend.  I’ll have to go peek again later.

Found it... page 3... last post is from May.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• cjmarshcjmarsh Member UncommonPosts: 299
    Does the irony of your last sentence not strike you?  You have described a “soul pack” loot box with RNG souls...
    You could definitely look at it like that way. My question to you would be what is wrong with that? It is a way for SBS to make money (Which seems to be the topic of conversation) and the same opportunity is given to everyone since you have to purchase a soul pack to play. Either separately, or included with the purchase of the game. Each soul pack comes with three different souls to choose from.

What I am not sure about is if you actually know the souls' history before creating a Character (Implementing a spark). :)

Many times it has been stated that the game is fair but not equitable. So why would we expect souls to be any different?

PS I also think soul packs can be purchased with story points (an in-game currency), but I don't know for sure. I know that sparks can be.

https://chroniclesofelyria.com/blog/4683/DJ-17-Bolstering-EarntoPlay

Not sure limiting the freedom of the player to determine their characters' initial strengths and weaknesses is a good plan, specifically when payment is tied directly to it like this.
    It isn't limited to a skill set, it is just if the soul had those skills in a life prior, they would be easier to increase in their new life. If the player decided they wanted to go that way. If not, then they would just train in whatever skills they wanted.
    But it's still an advantage, if only in opportunity cost.
  • YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    cjmarsh said:
    YashaX said:

Its yet another facet of the p2w mentality this dev team has based the project on.

I had actually forgotten about it because of all the other drama, but I remember rolling my eyes when I first heard about the idea.
    That's a rather inciteful (not insightful) way of putting the game design. But I do think that the idea of class warfare enhances the PVP in the game, seeing as how it seems to have gotten you all hot and bothered with just the idea.

Giving whales the opportunity to buy a huge advantage doesn't do anything to enhance pvp in a game, it kills it.
    YashaX said:
    cjmarsh said:
    YashaX said:

Its yet another facet of the p2w mentality this dev team has based the project on.

I had actually forgotten about it because of all the other drama, but I remember rolling my eyes when I first heard about the idea.
    That's a rather inciteful (not insightful) way of putting the game design. But I do think that the idea of class warfare enhances the PVP in the game, seeing as how it seems to have gotten you all hot and bothered with just the idea.

Giving whales the opportunity to buy a huge advantage doesn't do anything to enhance pvp in a game, it kills it.
    I don't know about "huge" advantage. Are you referring to high ranks? You know that they come with extremely harsh death penalties right?
    mystichaze
    My bad, I got to clear up my own misinformation (irony, slap) :smile: .

The skill ramps ect are available on the souls without a spark.  I'm looking to get a ballpark number on how many people will be able to get a multiple lived soul. 

Either way you can definitely buy a ton of soul packs till you get something in a profession you like.

Ill bug caspian about it later today or tomorrow though.  I don't think it's really something that's been a main focus.  Right now they're working on the crafting systems and combat.
    That last is discouraging to hear. I really hope they are working on the back end behind the scenes and just aren't updating the general public yet. In my mind, it's much more important to have the ability to run around with hundreds of others than to be able to swing a sword or hammer at this stage.
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,532
    Your sources are wrong...  at least nothing on the first few pages as of last weekend.  I’ll have to go peek again later.

Found it... page 3... last post is from May.

Patience and Troll, seldom mix.. so I am not at all surprised their interest died when the game got delayed again... 
    AshyLarry24mystichaze
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

None of the top tier leaders have shown interest really.  And it might not be a very attractive game to goons.  CoE has a slant again deviant players.  

But I'm not too worried about it.  Goons COULD be fun.  They could also be a disaster but yeah lol.
    cjmarsh said:
    YashaX said:
    cjmarsh said:
    YashaX said:

I don't know about "huge" advantage. Are you referring to high ranks? You know that they come with extremely harsh death penalties right?
    If you think its a good idea that whales will be able to buy massive advantages then this sounds like it would be the game for you, if it ever releases. I know there are some people that like that sort of thing, and that's fine.

JamesGoblinGdemami
    YashaX said:
    cjmarsh said:
    YashaX said:
    cjmarsh said:
    YashaX said:

If you think its a good idea that whales will be able to buy massive advantages then this sounds like it would be the game for you, if it ever releases. I know there are some people that like that sort of thing, and that's fine.

I don't think it's a good idea and I don't think that's what happens in this design. But clearly you feel strongly about the matter so I'll let it drop.
    mystichaze
    YashaX said:
    cjmarsh said:
    YashaX said:
    cjmarsh said:
    YashaX said:

I totally disagree with "massive advantage".   It would be having to spend 100's of dollars for a slight beginning advantage at best.  The chance to get a multi year soul is extremely low.  Being pointed at the right direction at the beginning hardly matters.  And to get a multi year soul that is in the direction you want to take your character?  The chances are not very high.
  • mystichazemystichaze Member UncommonPosts: 378
    cjmarsh said:
    Does the irony of your last sentence not strike you?  You have described a “soul pack” loot box with RNG souls...
    You could definitely look at it like that way. My question to you would be what is wrong with that? It is a way for SBS to make money (Which seems to be the topic of conversation) and the same opportunity is given to everyone since you have to purchase a soul pack to play. Either separately, or included with the purchase of the game. Each soul pack comes with three different souls to choose from.

What I am not sure about is if you actually know the souls' history before creating a Character (Implementing a spark). :)

Many times it has been stated that the game is fair but not equitable. So why would we expect souls to be any different?

PS I also think soul packs can be purchased with story points (an in-game currency), but I don't know for sure. I know that sparks can be.

Not sure limiting the freedom of the player to determine their characters' initial strengths and weaknesses is a good plan, specifically when payment is tied directly to it like this.
    It isn't limited to a skill set, it is just if the soul had those skills in a life prior, they would be easier to increase in their new life. If the player decided they wanted to go that way. If not, then they would just train in whatever skills they wanted.
    I don't disagree. I don't believe I said it wasn't an advantage, but you don't get to choose the souls you get. 
    cjmarsh said:
    My bad, I got to clear up my own misinformation (irony, slap) :smile: .

The skill ramps ect are available on the souls without a spark.  I'm looking to get a ballpark number on how many people will be able to get a multiple lived soul. 

Either way you can definitely buy a ton of soul packs till you get something in a profession you like.

Ill bug caspian about it later today or tomorrow though.  I don't think it's really something that's been a main focus.  Right now they're working on the crafting systems and combat.
    That last is discouraging to hear. I really hope they are working on the back end behind the scenes and just aren't updating the general public yet. In my mind, it's much more important to have the ability to run around with hundreds of others than to be able to swing a sword or hammer at this stage.
    I should of specified, but this was just the response of the lead designer and HIS focus.  I'm guessing Caspian and others are working on the back end although I don't know for sure.  You need to have an NDA for that type of specific information (and even if I did I AINT NO SNITCH!).  They have a much more clear view of the inner workings.

And I'm pretty sure they want a solid combat demonstration and stuff.  Because like a lot of you guys have said, and noticed they don't have enough content to show off to get people interested in the game.  I would bet that they are working on completing something to show off, to pull more people in.  
    cjmarshmystichaze
    edited February 2018
    cjmarsh said:
    YashaX said:
    cjmarsh said:
    YashaX said:

In addition, CoE is not a PVP game just because you are able to pvp. It is a Roleplay game.
    YashaX
    cjmarsh said:

I don't disagree. I don't believe I said it wasn't an advantage, but you don't get to choose the souls you get. 
    I've kind of lost track of the discussion to be honest, but I thought the point was that you could buy souls until you got the one you wanted. Doesn't really matter to me though, and I kind of hope they give the option to have a neutral one or a randomly rolled one.
    MadFrenchieJamesGoblin
    cjmarsh said:
    YashaX said:
    cjmarsh said:
    YashaX said:

In addition, CoE is not a PVP game just because you are able to pvp. It is a Roleplay game.
    I got to disagree with you there.  I agree it's a RP game, but technically all of CoE just about is PvP.  Whether you are playing the game of thrones, fighting in a war, or selling your crafted wears, you are constantly in competition with someone in almost every profession.
    Slapshot1188
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,985
    cjmarsh said:
    YashaX said:
    cjmarsh said:
    YashaX said:

Open world PvP is like being pregnant.  You are or you aren’t.
    EponyxDamorAshyLarry24YashaXJamesGoblin

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

cjmarsh said:
    cjmarsh said:

I've kind of lost track of the discussion to be honest, but I thought the point was that you could buy souls until you got the one you wanted. Doesn't really matter to me though, and I kind of hope they give the option to have a neutral one or a randomly rolled one.
    All of the soul packs are random. It is just that you might get a soul that has your desired skill, or even perhaps a soul that is a few lifetimes old. (Which is very rare). What the soul has upon activating it doesn't make a difference in what you want to do with the PC.
    cjmarsh said:
    cjmarsh said:

All of the soul packs are random. It is just that you might get a soul that has your desired skill, or even perhaps a soul that is a few lifetimes old. (Which is very rare). What the soul has upon activating it doesn't make a difference in what you want to do with the PC.
    It doesn't matter what you can do in the game, but it may give an advantage to a particular activity. If I was interested in being a master crafter, for example, I might be inclined to keep buying soul packs until I got one beneficial for my chosen craft.
    AshyLarry24
    edited February 2018
    @cjmarsh

Very true, but it would be a lot of money for a very minor advantage.  Like the difference you would be getting is like the family you were born into might be already doing the profession you are going for.  Unless you hit the jackpot and got some 5 lifetime aged soul, that was targeted for whatever profession you want.  But that has to be like a 1 in a million chance or something.

There are a lot of professions in the game, and a lot of skill ramps (we should know exactly how many very soon, as a skill DJ has been teased for awhile, that I'm pretty excited for). You could very likely spend 100's of dollars and still not get even a firstborn soul that is going the direction you want it to. And even if you do, it'll take multiple life cycles to reach legendary.  These small early advantages should be negated by skilled players.

cjmarshmystichaze
    edited February 2018
    Open world PvP is like being pregnant.  You are or you aren’t.
    Caspain's Definition of PVP in Elyria.
    I believe it differs in comparision to the idea of PVP here.

The following is taken from -
    https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/17121/tell-me-how-this-will-not-become-a-pve-game
    I want to believe that there can be a decent amount of PvP in this game while the story is being played out but it is starting to seem like it isn't going to be that way.
    Can you define PvP?
    Currently the community for CoE is leaning towards the PvE crowd...

Generally speaking, other games define PvE and PvP in two broad categories. PvE is anything not requiring combat with another player and PvP being anything that requires combat with another player.

These are weak definitions in CoE. In CoE, PvP is defined as your ability to impact other players in a way that effects their competitive advantage over you.

This can range from economical, to physical, to social. In which case, CoE is far more 'PvP' based than most other MMOs to date. You can force someone out of a market, steal from them, decide not to teach them skills, spread rumors about them, lie about them, commit espionage against them, prevent them from completing contracts, and yes, even attack them. If you really wanted to, and were willing to pay the heavy price for it, you could even inflict them with grievous wounds and force them to Spirit Walk.

The point I'm trying to make is that virtually everything you do in CoE to 'get ahead' comes at the cost of someone else. You want to build a nice settlement with your friends? Excellent! But the resources you're collecting to do so is resources others won't have available. And if your settlement starts to grow in reputation, it could even draw PCs and NPCs from neighboring settlements to yours, lowering their income and reducing their wealth.

That aside, if I were going to define PvE in CoE, I'd say it's the activities you'd do as a result of the dynamic story engine. But here's the kicker... the story engine is designed to create content by putting the players against one another. So much of the 'PvE' content that people will experience will still be PvP in the way I've defined it above.

That's not to say that occasional dungeons won't pop up with cool encounters. But CoE isn't a game where people either go do raids or go do arena/battlegrounds. Sure, we could create some story arc where skeletons rise from the graves and come to trounce you in the nearby settlement.... but we're just as likely to create a story arc which would encourage the neighboring settlement to come trounce you instead.

right now with all of the 'Caspian will protect us' thoughts from that crowd
    The crowds are wrong if that's what they're saying. I'm the DM, and I am writing a story to challenge and entertain you. But I make no promises of your survival.
    Can SBS explain what their actions would be if all of the PvE backers quit playing due to the possible chaotic world this game has the promise of.

This is not a game for people who don't want to be impacted by others. That said, there's a difference between the various types of conflict, and it's true, we discourage unplanned, random physical attacks against others, and the laws and punishments will be harsh - just like in our world.

If the 'PvPers' can't stretch their imagination beyond just walking around smacking people with weapons, unless they're very good at both combat and not getting caught, they're going to quickly find this is not the game for them.

Post edited by mystichaze on
    cjmarshAshyLarry24Kyleran
    edited February 2018
    cjmarsh said:

It doesn't matter what you can do in the game, but it may give an advantage to a particular activity. If I was interested in being a master crafter, for example, I might be inclined to keep buying soul packs until I got one beneficial for my chosen craft.
    That was the point I was making when this whole conversation started, in addition to sparks players might be spending additional money on soul packs.

Mystichaze said:

I agree it is a big difference. But then if you average that each player is going to have at least one alt (Some more and some less), that is another $6.67/month as per your example. Which totals $13.34/month. On top of that, each soul comes with a different skill set and age already connected to it, which could result in players buying multiple soul packs in search of trying to find the perfect one. 

• UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,532
    I think we can all agree that there is a massive difference between Open PvP like Fortnight, and Open PvP where it costs real world money.. win or lose.
    AshyLarry24Kyleran
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

cjmarsh said:
    YashaX said:
    cjmarsh said:
    YashaX said:

That makes a big difference (no sarcasm intended). I think if you view it through that lens its not as bad as it seems on the surface (to me).
    mystichazeGdemami
    YashaX said:
    cjmarsh said:
    YashaX said:
    cjmarsh said:
    YashaX said:

That makes a big difference (no sarcasm intended). I think if you view it through that lens its not as bad as it seems on the surface (to me).
    Also if you read Caspain's definition it makes a lot more sense then how I put it. :)