Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World of Warcraft - 5 Things We've Learned from the Battle for Azeroth Alpha (NO SPOILERS!) - MMORPG

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited February 2018 in News & Features Discussion

imageWorld of Warcraft - 5 Things We've Learned from the Battle for Azeroth Alpha (NO SPOILERS!) - MMORPG.com

The Battle for Azeroth alpha test for the next expansion to World of Warcraft has been in full swing for about a week now. As expected, dataminers and testers have been busy learning all about the content and features that we can expect going forward. We’re going to take a look at five of what we feel are the most interesting new things coming with BfA, none of which have anything to do with lore so, rest assured: This is a spoiler-free zone for the expansion.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited February 2018
    "Hunter Pet Changes..."

If they go with this....man.....I'm liking to believe that 33% of WoW's population is a hunter main (probably not in legion, but definitely previous expansion) so expect some huge backlash to this Blizzard. At least Outlaw Rogues will still have Roll-the-Bones! I know they are excited about that! /endsarcasm
    SBFord
  • DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503

Albatroes said:

"Hunter Pet Changes..."

If they go with this....man.....I'm liking to believe that 33% of WoW's population is a hunter main (probably not in legion, but definitely previous expansion) so expect some huge backlash to this Blizzard.

At least Outlaw Rogues will still have Roll-the-Bones! I know they are excited about that! /endsarcasm

https://realmpop.com/eu.html

10% EU
    Octagon7711

• Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558
    I m a hunter main and have no problem with the changes.
    Whiteshade92Oyjord

Torval said:

Soki123 said:

Why do you think some people might have issue with them. I don't have a hunter so I'm not seeing where the sticking point may be.

Its making the different families mean something again. Theres alot more to it, but I love it.
    [Deleted User]daltanious
    edited February 2018

Torval said:

Soki123 said:

Why do you think some people might have issue with them. I don't have a hunter so I'm not seeing where the sticking point may be.

A large amount of BM hunters use spirit beasts for dps....so making them into tank only isnt gonna go over really well. BM hunter was also the more played spec for hunter (in pve at least) in most WoW expansions (legion bm was eh...).
    daltanious
    Albatroes said:

Torval said:

Soki123 said:

A large amount of BM hunters use spirit beasts for dps....so making them into tank only isnt gonna go over really well. BM hunter was also the more played spec for hunter (in pve at least) in most WoW expansions (legion bm was eh...).

I can t and wont agree with this. It makes hunters fun again, needing to pick something for each situation. If people get upset over this , they don t like variety.
    Oyjord
  • Geddon95405Geddon95405 Member UncommonPosts: 111
    no idea why this new blizzard B team feels the need to reinvent major system EVERY SINGLE XPAC
    BruceYeeSBFord

Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of their women...

• calibekcalibek Member UncommonPosts: 300
    The backlash would come in the fact of using your favorite pets. I quit a while ago but the one consistent thing was i liked using the same pet, which for my dwarf hunter was a bear. Wolf just felt out if place from a RP aspect. I know that being able to switch the spec of a pet allowed you to keep the same pet people are probably attached to.
    SBFord[Deleted User]

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    edited February 2018
    Dragnelus said:

Albatroes said:

"Hunter Pet Changes..."

If they go with this....man.....I'm liking to believe that 33% of WoW's population is a hunter main (probably not in legion, but definitely previous expansion) so expect some huge backlash to this Blizzard.

At least Outlaw Rogues will still have Roll-the-Bones! I know they are excited about that! /endsarcasm

https://realmpop.com/eu.html

10% EU
    Here's the one for U.S.  https://realmpop.com/us.html   A little more PvE in US than EU.  Hunter 11.5%.
    Dragnelus

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    edited February 2018
    I can tell you why Hunter population has so drastically gone down in Legion:

1) Survival Hunter was changed from the most popular Hunter spec, ranged obviously, into a melee spec that has been the worst represented spec in terms of player numbers.

2) Changes to the overall Hunter class, and to each of the remaining two ranged specs specifically, throughout Legion have been disastrous. Devs have not interacted with the Hunter community in any way as compared to the interactions and explanations about class changes provided to the Mage and Monk classes to name two.

Overall, class design in Legion has been terrible, but Hunters have taken it in the shorts more than any other class.
    KalebGraysonMadFrenchieborghive49[Deleted User]kb4blu

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

SBFord said:

1) Survival Hunter was changed from the most popular Hunter spec, ranged obviously, into a melee spec that has been the worst represented spec in terms of player numbers.

2) Changes to the overall Hunter class, and to each of the remaining two ranged specs specifically, throughout Legion have been disastrous. Devs have not interacted with the Hunter community in any way as compared to the interactions and explanations about class changes provided to the Mage and Monk classes to name two.

Overall, class design in Legion has been terrible, but Hunters have taken it in the shorts more than any other class.
    I know MM hunters are happy though since this probably the first time since MoP(? and briefly if I recall) that they've been better than the other 2 specs in terms of dps.
    SBFord
  • BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556

no idea why this new blizzard B team feels the need to reinvent major system EVERY SINGLE XPAC

To present something as "new" that previously existed in the game with some minor alterations to fool people who either haven't played for very long or don't remember/care.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they bring back talent trees sometime and call it a new feature along with insect swarm druid spell and spellstones.

They probably plan future expansions by writing features that exist/existed in the game on tiny pieces of paper, put them into a jar and hold a "development meeting" where they pick them out. Whatever feature is chosen has to be either resurrected, severely nerfed/modified, or completely removed from current WoW so they'll be able to present it as new 1-2-3 expansions later.
    SBForddeniter
  • btdtbtdt Member RarePosts: 523
    It's been their underlying plan since WotLK to slowly ween players off of WoW.  They've been getting better and better at it with each expansion.  

Unfortunately, no matter how bad they try to make it, people still insist on throwing money at them.

Kind of funny really.  
  • some-clueless-guysome-clueless-guy Member UncommonPosts: 227
    BruceYee said:

To present something as "new" that previously existed in the game with some minor alterations to fool people who either haven't played for very long or don't remember/care.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they bring back talent trees sometime and call it a new feature along with insect swarm druid spell and spellstones.

They probably plan future expansions by writing features that exist/existed in the game on tiny pieces of paper, put them into a jar and hold a "development meeting" where they pick them out. Whatever feature is chosen has to be either resurrected, severely nerfed/modified, or completely removed from current WoW so they'll be able to present it as new 1-2-3 expansions later.
    Maybe now that they are working on the Vanilla code they are having one epiphany after another: "Yo, remember this? This was cool back in the day, let's put it back in." 
    MadFrenchie
  • DijonCyanideDijonCyanide Member UncommonPosts: 586
    Just curious since I've forgot. Is WoW one of those games where if you buy the latest released expansion it includes the previous expansions?

If anyone knows & answers thanks for the clarification.
  • btdtbtdt Member RarePosts: 523
    Just curious since I've forgot. Is WoW one of those games where if you buy the latest released expansion it includes the previous expansions?

Battle for Azeroth only is the expansion.  You still need Legion and game time to play the new expansion.  Legion includes everything from vanilla to Legion.  Legion will be rolled into Battle for Azeroth after it is released.  Timeframe unknown.
  • acidbloodacidblood Member RarePosts: 878
    "Previously physical-oriented classes could be made or broken with a good weapon over casters, for whom it is less of an issue."

Since like 1.0... how has this not been addressed before now?
  • WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,364

Albatroes said:

SBFord said:

I know MM hunters are happy though since this probably the first time since MoP(? and briefly if I recall) that they've been better than the other 2 specs in terms of dps.

i loved MM in vanilla , TBC and woltk , albeit BM was all the rage and survival was there for buffs and traps...

but the MM gameplay has changed a lot , i dont feel like a sniper anymore , the whole MM mechanics is bad , and not fun at all
    kb4blu
  • DijonCyanideDijonCyanide Member UncommonPosts: 586

btdt said:

Battle for Azeroth only is the expansion.  You still need Legion and game time to play the new expansion.  Legion includes everything from vanilla to Legion.  Legion will be rolled into Battle for Azeroth after it is released.  Timeframe unknown.

I got it, so if I'm patient & wanted to play all of WoW I can wait & buy the yet to be released Battle for Azeroth or I could buy that Legion now to include all of the current game minus the yet to be released BfA.

Thank you for the clarification! I'll probably just skip it altogether. It's been too long ago & last time I played the economy was super inflated now anyways for my pockets. Let alone I'd want to try to find my game ID & password scribbled down somewhere in the drawer lol. Thanks again.
  • dllddlld Member UncommonPosts: 615

btdt said:

I don't think that is quite right, I played in Cata, never bought mop or WoD, at the end of WoD when legion prepatch was going on with invasions i subbed again to check it out, by that time my account had been upgraded to WoD for free. So i assume all accounts that aren't 'f2p' will be upgraded to legion a month or two before BFA releases