Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

CIG is working hard to implement VR

12346»

Comments

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Erillion said:
    gervaise1 said:
    If you had read the start of the thread you would have established that the title should have been "CR not working on VR" - not as good a clickbait title though. So no worries on the VR score.
    >>> "CR not working on VR" >>>

A title that would be incorrect.

Have fun
    Agree. But:

"CR focusing on core game priorities before VR" is clearly a more complicated concept.
  • ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,381
    Apparently what SC fans want is relentless boosterism.  A shower of videos about a legendary game of the future that is still so far away that it can be everything to everyone.   Helmed by a Miles Gloriosus  who  rides a wave of nostalgia, despite not having released a game in over 20 years, and never having successfully helmed a game outside of the original company he worked for.   As marketing goes though, it's brilliant.  Will be talked about for many years, that's for sure.

Considering the VR,  CIG should probably proceed with basic implementations to allow them to put it in later (far later) in development.  Probably means they'll do the opposite.

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197
    Babuinix said:
    sgel said:
    Babuinix said:
    CIG is providing exactly what it's fanbase wants while keeping at bay haters and disruptive naysayers. 
    Yeah, it's not like everyone and their mother is criticizing the game everywhere it's mentioned.
    They must all be hateful individuals with "less brains for less money" whatever that means.
    It's not like anyone could possibly have valid criticism for the best game ever made in the history of our universe.
    These folks you call "everyone and their mother" are sad and lonely with no games to play. So they go on and on about stuff they cant understand or change.

Makes for good standup-e-lulz nonetheless.
    So you think that ALL the people who criticize SC are sad, lonely, have no games to play and can't understand what SC is, neither can they change it but go on and criticize it anyway.

Yeah that seems like a highly likely scenario.

It can't possibly be something you need to tell yourself because you cant fathom people having a critical opinion of your golden pony.
    Kefo

..Cake..

• BabuinixBabuinix Member EpicPosts: 4,260
    edited February 2018
    ^^
    Babuinix said:
    Well you must understand that for some folks Star Citizen was the ultimate path to their child gaming-heaven memories, the last hope of finally incarnating Skywalker/Malcolm/etc in a online world, they had great expectations!

Somehow those expectations were not met by Chris Roberts and Star Citizen and that has not only broke their hearts but it's ongoing success is now like an open wound.

Every major update, every million raised. Basically every positive Star Citizen event feels like CIG / Chris Roberts/ Star Citizen / Backers are twisting that knife deeper and deeper making the wound bigger and more painful as it goes...

The problem (for them) is that it's only the beginning really...
    As the games features become more and more flesh out the more gameplay emerges, the more awareness and attention it garners and more supporters it gets.

And Squadron42 is not even out yet, a video-game that joins Skywalker, Churchill, Dana Scully, Smeagol, Gimli, Ser Davos and many other high profile world-wide-known Hollywood actors...

Damn...things (wound-pain) will arguably become much worse (bigger-unbearable) for a few... while continue to get exponentially better for a lot of Star Citizens...

2018 will be a another great year indeed. Can't wait for 2019 now that I think of it.
    There's no problem in criticizing games in forum's, it's just giving an opinion, when one is coherent and unbiased someone might even take it serious enough to acknowledge it as sound info. 

Now focusing on one game in development year after year alone, lashing out cynicism, negativism and hyperbolising any drama to run an ongoing "hate crusade" because they don't like the dev's or/and the game direction or even pretending that the problems inherent of game development only apply to them,

All while other games, dev's and companies that go through the same "problems" but they don't bat an eye about it.....

I dunno it seems a bit strange to think that there are gamers obsessed with seeing this game fail lol

I guess they still feel lost after being heartbroken or something...

One can only hope that they can find another game to fill that void and find more happiness playing it than whatever they get for attacking Star Citizen.
    edited February 2018
    Why are you quoting your own post? lol

You say you have no problem people criticizing SC yet you constantly attack and vomit ridiculous amounts of sarcasm to people who do.

Then you go on generalizing yet again and talking about people having "hate crusades" on a specific game while ignoring other companies. How do you know this? Do you have proof of hate crusades or people ignoring other games?

Then you go on saying that gamers are obsessed with seeing this game fail. Why would they?
    Who are these gamers? ALL THE GAMERS?

Then you go on saying that these gamers are heartbroken. Heartbroken about what? How do you know this? Who are you talking about again? ALL people who criticize SC?

What is it with these sweeping generalizations of everyone? Is everything so absolute in your perception of reality?

You've taken the "defender of SC" script and literally hardwired it into your brain.
    I wouldn't be surprised if you literally believed all these fantasy scenarios you describe.

Why do I even bother to reply to your posts... you're probably just a troll account :(

..Cake..

sgel said:
    Why are you quoting your own post? lol

You say you have no problem people criticizing SC yet you constantly attack and vomit ridiculous amounts of sarcasm to people who do.
    Nop my posts are for everyone and anyone. The haters who choose to make a hobbie of attacking Star Citizen, it's dev's and it's backers could just end this by sticking to the games they like and playing them and discuss about them.

Like I said, criticizing is one thing, it's an opinion like many others and if done with good intent aka constructive criticism can lead to positive discussions.

Any game released or unreleased has plenty of issues to be critical about, doing it so year after year for the most petty and mundane things possible ad nauseam is what I would call trolling or an obsessive disruptive behaviour with mischievous intent.

We get the haters we truly do and we sympathize with their grief. They dislike Star Citizen, CIG, Chris Roberts and the backers that keep supporting it for whatever reason: Maybe they don't like Flight model or other development direction, maybe they are tired of the delays, probably got banned from the official forum, maybe their ship was nerfed or it's bugged, all of the above and some more.

In the end it's just a game in development like many other's and focusing on something one doesn't like obsessively year after year seems like a waste of life's most precious asset, time. All that while keeping an ongoing unproductive campaign to attack it and reaping frustration after frustration year after year that Star Citizen keeps on going...

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476
    In my opion, CIG has been working hard to put your money in there pockets for several years now. Its time to release the PU or give a release date. Tired of hearing we at CIG are working hard on the gamers behalf.
    " Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • kikoodutroa8kikoodutroa8 Member RarePosts: 565
    edited February 2018
    It's as if Sgel used too many complicated words in his questions.

I mean what an awful word salad, it almost reads like the transcripts from cig videos.
    sgel
    Jezus he didn't answer a single question after I included so many question marks... how depressing :(

He just repeats the same stuff over and over... is he a bot as well as a troll?
    His posts read like sarcastic advertising campaigns.

ScotchUp

..Cake..

Elsabolts said:
    In my opion, CIG has been working hard to put your money in there pockets for several years now. Its time to release the PU or give a release date. Tired of hearing we at CIG are working hard on the gamers behalf.
    Why would you care about other people's money? And the PU released back in Dec 2015. Hangars in 2013, Arena Commander in 2014, Star Marine in 2016, 3.0 in 2017.

If you feel tired of following development maybe it's better to forget about it for a bit because venting that frustration on forum's won't make the game come out any faster that's for sure...
  • kikoodutroa8kikoodutroa8 Member RarePosts: 565
    Does it take some special training???
    I mean your posts, of course.
  • KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    sgel said:
    Jezus he didn't answer a single question after I included so many question marks... how depressing :(

He just repeats the same stuff over and over... is he a bot as well as a troll?
    His posts read like sarcastic advertising campaigns.

Well the Erillion bot did break a few pages back so it stands to reason the Babuinix bot was going to break soon as well :wink:
    ScotchUp
    edited February 2018
    Let's break the bait with a bit of VR Star Citizen with VorpX by the german citizen VoodooDE :D

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    A question for the SC supporters.

Why is VR being worked on so fervently?  Doesn't this smack of yet another "feature creep" situation, since I don't think that VR has been mentioned prominently previously?  Is there some aspect of VR that will improve game play over a non-VR version?

I'm not an SC supporter and definitely not a Chris Roberts disciple, and only infrequently follow any of the discussion of this title.  But this focus on putting in a feature/support for elements that only a few players currently have seems a bit odd.  I could even call it a form of procrastination on the part of the developers.  Adding features to a project in process has never worked well for any IT project.  What does SC hope to do that is so important as to risk the project (and changing goals mid-stream is a definite risk factor for any project)?

Basically, what does VR bring to Star Citizen?  Educate me.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

edited February 2018
    Mendel said:

Why is VR being worked on so fervently? 
    It isn't.

Star Citizen is not a VR game, although it will have support for VR like most vehicle simulator games it makes all the sense.

I think they had a very early stretch goal for Oculus Support for the Hangar, and some patches ago it worked in the Dogfighting module Arena Commander too which is where it makes sense imo As for a mmofps maybe not so much because of the locomotion/animation issues.

They did had this to say some time ago:

“We do plan on having VR support for Star Citizen. But it’s just having to fit in as a technology with all the other tech that we are currently incorporating into the game. As I’m sure you know, VR technology is evolving quickly. As with anything that fits this category, we are going to spend the time to make sure it’s integrated properly for our game.”
     ~
    “Because we will be a VR capable game, we’re kind of forced to project the UI in 3D space, because otherwise it just wouldn’t work. In a traditional flat 2D menu you just wouldn’t be able to read it. So you need to project it at some sort of distance away for it to actually be usable. So we sort of do that from the get-go and that’s sort of always been our driving paradigm in UI design.”
  • azonic69azonic69 Member UncommonPosts: 103
    edited February 2018
    Kefo said:
    Erillion said:
    Kefo said:
    seems I struck a nerve. 
    Seems like you are not providing the information.

>>>>
    I’ve seen indie teams with shoe string budgets create games that had more content and were fun to play faster then this.
    >>>>

Which teams and which games ?

And especially ... how have they implemented VR, as this is topic of this thread.

Have fun

Moving the goalposts now eh? Classic SC fan. Won’t admit their wrong and move the goalposts to try and make themselves look better
    I hate the stupid rabbit, but you gotta provide what you said, you were right that you didn't say anything about space game, but now if you want to shut him up and win the argument just provide 1 game....

Again I can't stand that stupid rabbit, and I really don't think SC will ever release but so far you're the one looking stupid.

Him switching his reply is pretty much an admission that he messed up, he didn't edit his comment, he posted a new one, his mistake is for all to see.
    Mendel said:

Why is VR being worked on so fervently?  Doesn't this smack of yet another "feature creep" situation, since I don't think that VR has been mentioned prominently previously?  Is there some aspect of VR that will improve game play over a non-VR version?

I'm not an SC supporter and definitely not a Chris Roberts disciple, and only infrequently follow any of the discussion of this title.  But this focus on putting in a feature/support for elements that only a few players currently have seems a bit odd.  I could even call it a form of procrastination on the part of the developers.  Adding features to a project in process has never worked well for any IT project.  What does SC hope to do that is so important as to risk the project (and changing goals mid-stream is a definite risk factor for any project)?

As answered above CiG are not "fervently" working on VR.

Its a clickbait title. To - perhaps - make people who only infrequently follow SC topics that CiG are guilty of ... the stuff you wrote. 

Babuinix
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Babuinix said:
    Mendel said:

It isn't.

Star Citizen is not a VR game, although it will have support for VR like most vehicle simulator games it makes all the sense.

I think they had a very early stretch goal for Oculus Support for the Hangar, and some patches ago it worked in the Dogfighting module Arena Commander too which is where it makes sense imo As for a mmofps maybe not so much because of the locomotion/animation issues.

“We do plan on having VR support for Star Citizen. But it’s just having to fit in as a technology with all the other tech that we are currently incorporating into the game. As I’m sure you know, VR technology is evolving quickly. As with anything that fits this category, we are going to spend the time to make sure it’s integrated properly for our game.”
     ~
    “Because we will be a VR capable game, we’re kind of forced to project the UI in 3D space, because otherwise it just wouldn’t work. In a traditional flat 2D menu you just wouldn’t be able to read it. So you need to project it at some sort of distance away for it to actually be usable. So we sort of do that from the get-go and that’s sort of always been our driving paradigm in UI design.”
    Appreciated, but this didn't answer the underlying 'Why VR' question?  Is adding VR just supporting a technological fad (at least, until VR stabilizes in the market), or do they plan to implement elements that actually require VR (support and hardware)?

What will VR do for the player?  And why is that important for SC?

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

Some say that VR is the holly-grail for "imursion" in racing/dogfighting games that's why.

It makes sense for the pilot a vehicle part of Star Citizen and not so much for the rest in the grand scheme of things.

With that said CIG always said that they would support it in some form or another.

Erillion
  • ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,295
    Babuinix said:
    Some say that VR is the holly-grail for "imursion" in racing/dogfighting games that's why.

It makes sense for the pilot a vehicle part of Star Citizen and not so much for the rest in the grand scheme of things.

With that said CIG always said that they would support it in some form or another.

And if you check out VR in space games like Elite:Dangerous, you will see that is looks very cool. 
    And makes it easier to read important data (about shields, weapons etc.)

Have fun 
    Mendel said:
    Babuinix said:
    Mendel said:

It isn't.

~
    Appreciated, but this didn't answer the underlying 'Why VR' question?  Is adding VR just supporting a technological fad (at least, until VR stabilizes in the market), or do they plan to implement elements that actually require VR (support and hardware)?

What will VR do for the player?  And why is that important for SC?
    When SC kicked off the hype around VR was greater than it is now. Which I think explains the "VR capable" approach. From fever pitch in 2015, most articles in 2016 were along the lines of "projected sales reduced again". Then in 2017 pretty much nothing. And now with the price of new graphics cards ...

And if VR had become mainstream by now and SC didn't support VR - probably not good.

And VR - or AR - may take off soon. When though - which is why the big developers are not doing much. It certainly has its supporters and one day .....

On to your other question: no SC will not require VR kit; the VR will be optional; support only. 

And whilst VR tech sorts itself out what CiG have basically said is (to paraphrase) that they will continue to focus on the core game, take a "VR enabler" approach as long as this doesn't impact core game development; park any big specific VR implementation stuff. What you would expect in other words.
    azonic69 said:
    Kefo said:
    Erillion said:
    Kefo said:
    seems I struck a nerve. 
    Seems like you are not providing the information.

>>>>
    I’ve seen indie teams with shoe string budgets create games that had more content and were fun to play faster then this.
    >>>>

Which teams and which games ?

And especially ... how have they implemented VR, as this is topic of this thread.

Have fun

Moving the goalposts now eh? Classic SC fan. Won’t admit their wrong and move the goalposts to try and make themselves look better
    I hate the stupid rabbit, but you gotta provide what you said, you were right that you didn't say anything about space game, but now if you want to shut him up and win the argument just provide 1 game....

Again I can't stand that stupid rabbit, and I really don't think SC will ever release but so far you're the one looking stupid.

Him switching his reply is pretty much an admission that he messed up, he didn't edit his comment, he posted a new one, his mistake is for all to see.
    Game example was already given by @MadFrenchie. If Erillion doesn’t write that he messed up then chances are he doesn’t believe he messed up and I’m extremely stubborn about being demanded information when the person can’t even answer what I asked of them.

Besides it’s much more fun to watch him dig a deeper hole as he tries to twist things to make it seem like I’m in the wrong. Who needs a game when you can watch the fans construct strawmen, blame everything on the boogeyman or backtrack when Christ Roberts changes his tune.
    Mendel said:

Another carrot to dangle in front of the masses and have them throw more money at the project.
  • ArillixArillix Member UncommonPosts: 88

Q: Head tracking - TrackIR and Tobii and like that - will that be implemented for Squadron 42?

A: Pretty confident yes.  There was a version of Tobii and head tracking already working but unsure if currently working.

Goal is to have head tracking working, as well as Faceware.

Star Citizen should be VR friendly as well, such as diegetic UI.  The current holdback there is that there is still so much base level work going on on the engine - including the Vulkan/DX12 refactor.  Lots of optimization.

Once the base level engine stuff is finished, VR support will be added.

Further on, look will be able to be disconnected from aiming.

Above is from here: the January, 26th 2018, Reverse the Verse.

Which was part of the 4.5 million dollar stretch goal reached 11/16/2012.