Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Death of MMO genre - Nuff said ...

Comments

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    I dont expect another MMO boom until VR tech matures and becomes popular.  
    That could be just around the corner, and applying new tech instead of improve the gameplay is certainly one way of revitilizing the genre. In the long term it wont be enough though, after a year or 2 people will realize that they still are playing the same game.

I am rather sure that the first successful VR MMO will be in Japan and spread to us from there, unlike us the Japs really want a VR MMORPG, there are plenty of successful animes and books about the concept. 
  • PsYcHoGBRPsYcHoGBR Member UncommonPosts: 482
    I don't think mmo's will die they are evolving.
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    They aren't dead. They just aren't the same anymore. The genre will change as the needs of the community who plays it changes. Look at how many people still play the games, FFXIV is still booming everywhere I go, WoW still has a giant playerbase, even Runescape still has a giant playerbase. I mean people obviously still want to play them, it will just not be developed by triple A studios anymore, it will be indie mostly. 
  • KabulozoKabulozo Member RarePosts: 932
    Dragnelus said:
    Kyleran said:
    danwest58 said:
    O and no the MMORPG Genera is not dead.   Its stagnate with too many WOW clones trying to catter to every person in the world.   

lol .. you are still stuck on the wow clone era? Now MMO is replaced by MOBAs, shooters, TCGs, and so on. 

There has not been a AAA wow clone for a long time ... because devs are simply not interested in traditional mmos anymore. Unless you count Destiny 2 as one. 
    These days it seems everyone is cloning Battle Royal or Survival games.
    Who knows when blizz will come with one. I dont play the current BR games but will prob play it when blizz makes it :open_mouth: 

They are the best at coping and make it superior.
    Well HotS sucks compared to DOTA and even LoL.
    edited February 2018
    WoW clones and the "wow cloning era" are dead. Even WoW is slowly fading, losing players faster and faster a few months after new expansion. But there is still space for MMOs, but not themeparks
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    Kabulozo said:
    WoW clones and the "wow cloning era" are dead. Even WoW is slowly fading, losing players faster and faster a few months after new expansion. But there is still space for MMOs, but not themeparks
    hmmmm, "not World of Warcraft themeparks".

There are certainly different ways one can do a themepark, game. Just because games in the World of Warcraft style are waning in popularity doesn't mean a company can't come up with another way to create a themepark game.

Especially because a LOT of people do not like open ended "make your own way" games.
    cjmarsh
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • darkrain21darkrain21 Member UncommonPosts: 383
    Kabulozo said:

Theme parks are doing fine, as a matter of fact the 2 big ones are still more active than even the most popular Sandbox. FFXIV is still going up in player subs and wow is steady with consistent surges in the population. If you can name 1 Sandbox with the player base and popularity of ether of these two games, then you might have an argument.
    edited February 2018
    Kabulozo said:

Theme parks are doing fine, as a matter of fact the 2 big ones are still more active than even the most popular Sandbox. FFXIV is still going up in player subs and wow is steady with consistent surges in the population. If you can name 1 Sandbox with the player base and popularity of ether of these two games, then you might have an argument.
    Lineage 1/Lineage M still is the biggest grossing MMO after WoW, FFXIV don't come even close.

It made over 950 million dollars in revenue in 2017.
    The combo Lineage/Lineage M made actually over 1 trillion korean won (1 billion dollars) last year.

cjmarsh
  • GatheredMystGatheredMyst Member UncommonPosts: 11
    Sigh... videos like this.

"There aren't any games coming out that I personally want to play, therefor... the entire genre is dead!"

Meanwhile, i'm bouncing between three MMO's that are getting regular content updates, and a fourth if I feel like doing something more oldschool.

That's the joy of the genre.  MMO's are constantly being updated with new stuff, if developers pay enough attention to them.  While there aren't a lot of new titles coming out right now, there are plenty of games out there that are getting a lot of love and attention.

I guess the rule of thumb is:  Just because someone personally doesn't feel like they're getting their itch scratched doesn't mean that that something is dead.
    cjmarsh
    edited February 2018
    Kabulozo said:
    Kabulozo said:

Lineage 1/Lineage M still is the biggest grossing MMO after WoW, FFXIV don't come even close.

Didn't ask for their gross, I asked for their population and popularity. Lineage makes it's money as a f2p game there for yes it will make more money f2p just does. But that games population is not as high as the other two, not actively. And you are mistaking Profit for popularity just because a game has wealthy players who don't mind investing a crap ton of money into it does not mean more people play it. Lets also remember you are currently comparing a Korean phone game to a PC and PS4 game, that is like saying Clash of Clans is more popular than Star Craft because CoC makes tons of money on its easy to access overly expensive F2P micro Transactions.
    edited February 2018
    Kabulozo said:
    Kabulozo said:

Didn't ask for their gross, I asked for their population and popularity. Lineage makes it's money as a f2p game there for yes it will make more money f2p just does. But that games population is not as high as the other two, not actively. And you are mistaking Profit for popularity just because a game has wealthy players who don't mind investing a crap ton of money into it does not mean more people play it. Lets also remember you are currently comparing a Korean phone game to a PC and PS4 game, that is like saying Clash of Clans is more popular than Star Craft because CoC makes tons of money on its easy to access overly expensive F2P micro Transactions.
    It's the same game both for PC and Mobile with only the interface adapted for mobile and better animations. And the PC version still is P2P. The mobile version is so good that made a huge number of the PC version leave and play Lineage M.

Lineage M is not on the same league a Clash of Clans or Cand Crush, my friend. It is a full PC port to mobile that was very well done.
    Kabulozo said:
    Kabulozo said:
    Kabulozo said:

It's the same game both for PC and Mobile with only the interface adapted for mobile and better animations. And the PC version still is P2P. The mobile version is so good that made a huge number of the PC version leave and play Lineage M.

Ok so a huge number are we talking a couple hundred thousand or are we talking 4-10 million? Big difference, I am not saying Lineage is a bad game, I am just saying it doesn't have the popularity of the other two in the discussion.
    edited February 2018
    Kabulozo said:
    Kabulozo said:
    Kabulozo said:

Ok so a huge number are we talking a couple hundred thousand or are we talking 4-10 million? Big difference, I am not saying Lineage is a bad game, I am just saying it doesn't have the popularity of the other two in the discussion.
    Show me the numbers, my friend. FFXIV is not even in the top 10 PC or consoles games of 2017.

The only PC MMO in the top 10 games is WoW, if FFXIV has 10 million players as you said it would be above WoW right now.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Loke666 said:
    I dont expect another MMO boom until VR tech matures and becomes popular.  
    That could be just around the corner, and applying new tech instead of improve the gameplay is certainly one way of revitilizing the genre. In the long term it wont be enough though, after a year or 2 people will realize that they still are playing the same game.

I am rather sure that the first successful VR MMO will be in Japan and spread to us from there, unlike us the Japs really want a VR MMORPG, there are plenty of successful animes and books about the concept. 
    The first VR MMO already exists... it's called "Elite Dangerous".
    Actually ED wasn't the first...

"On July 24, 2013, Vendetta officially launched support for the Oculus Rift family of devices, marking the first time a live MMORPG supported the virtual reality display."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vendetta_Online

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

edited February 2018
    Kabulozo said:
    Kabulozo said:
    Kabulozo said:
    Kabulozo said:

Show me the numbers, my friend. FFXIV is not even in the top 10 PC or consoles games of 2017.

The only PC MMO in the top 10 games is WoW, if FFXIV has 10 million players as you said it would be above WoW right now.

Never said it had 10 million I said 4-10 in speaking of both wow and ffxiv, and FFxiv was in the top 10 MMOs of 2017 due to Stormbloods launch and there last active player count was over 5 million. And by your own logic there show me the numbers that anyone really gave more than a 2 day care about Linage coming to their phones here in the west. I downloaded it let it play itself and then uninstalled it. But its not hard to find that FFXIV is the  Second most Popular Sub based MMO on the market and one of the most popular MMOS available right now.
  • AAAMEOWAAAMEOW Member RarePosts: 1,600
    Kabulozo said:
    Kabulozo said:

People in America or Europe actually play FFXIV or ESO.  Almost no one play lineage in America or Europe.  So you are referencing a game no one on this forum care about.  And I don't even know lineage is a sandbox game.  Never heard of people referring it as a sandbox game.  
    Kyleran
    edited February 2018
    AAAMEOW said:
    Kabulozo said:
    Kabulozo said:

People in America or Europe actually play FFXIV or ESO.  Almost no one play lineage in America or Europe.  So you are referencing a game no one on this forum care about.  And I don't even know lineage is a sandbox game.  Never heard of people referring it as a sandbox game.  
    The online revenue from asian markets are already bigger than the west. Closing your eyes and refusing to see it won't change reality.

Lineage is an "open" MMO not exactly a sandbox, with the open world as the main focus of the game, there are very few intances that usually have a timer in which you can enter it again (usually 24h hours to 1 week).

90% of the content of the game as well as the pvp happens in the open world.
    Kabulozo said:
    AAAMEOW said:
    Kabulozo said:
    Kabulozo said:

The online revenue from asian markets are already bigger than the west. Closing your eyes and refusing to see it won't change reality.

Lineage is an "open" MMO not exactly a sandbox, with the open world as the main focus of the game, there are very few intances that usually have a timer in which you can enter it again (usually 24h hours to 1 week).

None of that makes it a sandbox, its an open world themepark. Also you tell him to not close his eyes to it but you are doing the same in allowing Profit to garner what you think is popular. Linage could have 3 people who spend 3 million a year in it doesn't mean it is more popular than the other games just means it caters to spenders.
    Kabulozo said:
    AAAMEOW said:
    Kabulozo said:
    Kabulozo said:

None of that makes it a sandbox, its an open world themepark. Also you tell him to not close his eyes to it but you are doing the same in allowing Profit to garner what you think is popular. Linage could have 3 people who spend 3 million a year in it doesn't mean it is more popular than the other games just means it caters to spenders.
    Popularity and revenue always walk together. LoL has the biggest revenues among all PC games because it has over 100 million players.
    Kabulozo said:
    Kabulozo said:
    AAAMEOW said:
    Kabulozo said:
    Kabulozo said:

Popularity and revenue always walk together. LoL has the biggest revenues among all PC games because it has over 100 million players.
    LoL isn't an mmo, not the topic at hand.
    Kyleran
    edited February 2018
    Kabulozo said:
    Kabulozo said:
    AAAMEOW said:
    Kabulozo said:
    Kabulozo said:

It doesn't change the fact that popularity = revenue, Lineage M is currently the most popular MMO in Korea and Taiwan (the only 2 places it is available so far).
    Kabulozo said:
    Kabulozo said:
    Kabulozo said:
    AAAMEOW said:
    Kabulozo said:
    Kabulozo said:

It doesn't change the fact that popularity = revenue, Lineage M is currently the most popular MMO in Korea and Taiwan (the only 2 places it is available so far).

And by far one of the least cared about here in the west. It is not also a argument to my original point as it is not a sandbox mmo.
    edited February 2018
    Kabulozo said:
    Kabulozo said:
    Kabulozo said:
    AAAMEOW said:
    Kabulozo said:
    Kabulozo said:

And by far one of the least cared about here in the west. It is not also a argument to my original point as it is not a sandbox mmo.
    It still bigger than any MMO in west except WoW. It's an open game, not a themepark focused on intanced end-game raids/arenas, this is why i cited it. One of the few MMOs that still is successful that is not a themepark.
    sumdumguy1
    Kabulozo said:
    Kabulozo said:
    Kabulozo said:
    Kabulozo said:
    AAAMEOW said:
    Kabulozo said:
    Kabulozo said:

It still bigger than any MMO in west except WoW. It's an open game, not a themepark focused on intanced end-game raids/arenas, this is why i cited it. One of the few MMOs that still is successful that is not a themepark.
    But it is a themepark it's just not as much a directed attraction one as wow or ffxiv, it's not a sandbox and if it was more popular NCsoft wouldnt have reservations on bringing it west. They know that things like wow and ffxiv do better over here there for they never risk it.