Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So leveling is fun again, whats next?

Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
with the scaling zones introduced in 7.3.5 leveing is much more fub then in a long time..
espescially while combined with the more engaging combat (mobs are harder)
and the nurf of heirlooms, grouping in greens with superpowerfull near celestial heirloomed people is no fun..
personally i am having a blast, and the game is actually a lot of fun to me..
i can finally finish content again, and just do some dungeons or battlegrounds when i feel like it

so whats next, are they really trying to pull in new players? Because thats what they did, make the game new player friendly.
in which case we might see the game go in some form of free to play soon...

or will they stick to current subscriptions model?

to me there are 2 things they could do to improve "my" gameplay even more..
a) allow people to choose their difficulty level at the start of the game..
-easy, normal, hard, extreme, iron man, ffa pvp, perma death... 
which means you would play the game on a specific shard till you reach max level..
leaving the traditional server type even more behind...
B) an option to play low level comtent at max level using the scaling system, if a player chooses to use it..

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

[Deleted User]Octagon7711

Comments

• GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813
    edited January 2018
    things to do to improve gameplay: Vanilla
    [Deleted User]deniteralivenmrputts
  • Moxom914Moxom914 Member RarePosts: 731
    DMKano said:
    fun for how long?
    exactly
  • HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    Fun longer than mining in Eve that is for sure.
    Kyleran[Deleted User]
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003
    DMKano said:
    fun for how long?
    Couldn't that be asked of anything that is considered "fun".
    [Deleted User]aliven
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • BasicgearBasicgear Member UncommonPosts: 43
    My wife and I just started playing again (we stopped back at cataclysm due to having kids and stuff). We started playing again a week before this change and found that by the time we got our gnomes to Loch Modan, everything was too easy and we were just speeding through mobs. It was not fun. Then the patch happened and wow did it make a difference for us. We are having a blast. Very glad they brought the change and I agree with you Bachus, I would welcome the option to increase the difficulty.
    Kyleran[Deleted User]
  • itsoveritsover Member UncommonPosts: 353
    just to be clear, if im level 90, i go level 100 zone, that zone is auto scale down to my level 90 ? just like ESO ?

• WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363
    edited January 2018
    itsover said:
    just to be clear, if im level 90, i go level 100 zone, that zone is auto scale down to my level 90 ? just like ESO ?
    Vanilla zones will scale to level 60, except for starting zones which scale to level 10.

You can choose to do Burning Crusade or Wrath of the Lich King in any order up to level 80.

Burning Crusade zones will scale to level 80 and start at a minimum level of 58 in Hellfire Pennisula.

Wrath of the Lich King zones will scale to level 80 and start at a minimum level of 58 in Borean Tundra and Howling Fjord.

You can choose to do Cataclysm or Mists of Pandaria in any order up to level 90.
    Cataclysm zones will scale to level 90 and start at a minimum level of 80 in Mount Hyjal and Vashj'ir.

Mists of Pandaria zones will scale to level 90 and start at a minimum level of 80 in the Jade Forest.

Warlords of Draenor zones already scale to level 100 and nothing has changed.

Broken Isles zones already scale to level 110 and nothing has changed.
  • Moxom914Moxom914 Member RarePosts: 731
    Warlyx said:
    itsover said:
    Vanilla zones will scale to level 60, except for starting zones which scale to level 10.

You can choose to do Burning Crusade or Wrath of the Lich King in any order up to level 80.

Burning Crusade zones will scale to level 80 and start at a minimum level of 58 in Hellfire Pennisula.

Wrath of the Lich King zones will scale to level 80 and start at a minimum level of 58 in Borean Tundra and Howling Fjord.

You can choose to do Cataclysm or Mists of Pandaria in any order up to level 90.
    Cataclysm zones will scale to level 90 and start at a minimum level of 80 in Mount Hyjal and Vashj'ir.

Mists of Pandaria zones will scale to level 90 and start at a minimum level of 80 in the Jade Forest.

Warlords of Draenor zones already scale to level 100 and nothing has changed.

Broken Isles zones already scale to level 110 and nothing has changed.
    if they would do ESO scaling then i would consider coming back
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    It's been a while since I played WoW. Are you guys just talking about flat mob grinding to level? Or does this mean questing too?

I understand that mobs can scale. But from what I recall of WoW, Straight up mob grinding was not really a thing after patch 2.3.
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    The endgame gets more and more lackluster imo. I wont say there aren't challenges but what I mean lackluster is that there's more modes to the same thing and less diversity in actual content. Devs and CMs of Blizzard rate content how far you've gotten up in Mythic+ and how many Mythic tier raids you've cleared but that's really the pinnacle of legion. Broken Shore laughable and Argus was alright for the first month then ultimately forgotten. And dont say WQs are actual content...
  • Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Galadourn said:
    Personal opinion..

i think that the actuall combat mechanics and class builds in vanilla can't compete with the current gameplay where it comes to fun....  i think i would prefer the vanilla world as a timetravel event...with current classes.. and an option to choose how hard you want the gameplay to be..

sure there where strong points like class diversity and spec trees, but the actuall class mechanics where really dull compared to todays combat...  i think gameplay wise WOW is currently in the best position ever.  It feels fresh and modern for a 15 year old game..

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    Yes levelling via questing is definitely fun but let me tell you something I love to group and I love dungeons. This patch has not changed how people run dungeons and I use that word 'run' literally because they run so fast if you don't keep up which I did not I got yelled at.

I was so excited to play but dungeons are an integral part of why I play these games and the guild I am in advised me to avoid dungeons but .....really is that how it is the whole game. I have never levelled beyond 65 or so ever in WoW over the years  so is it like this the whole game. I don't even get to look at the dungeon that is how fast they run.

Unless I satisfy myself with just levelling via questing there is no reason to play. While I agree the classes are so much better than vanilla WoW although taking away the skills customization is not. The way they revamped  certain content is definitely a step up from vanilla and even some of the dungeon encounters require you to move which I don't recall in vanilla at lower levels but this breakneck speed with which people play is making me so very sad.
    deniter

• btdtbtdt Member RarePosts: 523
    People seem to forget the fact that the old content isn't anything like it used to be... even if they slow leveling down to a snail's pace, it's different content than originally released.  Vanilla WoW had entirely different talent trees, crafting, quests, you name it.  So did TBC, and WotLK, etc.  

It's still broken each and every time a new patch or expansion comes out because they can't preserve the past without screwing up the present and vice-versa.

I've leveled a new toon each and every expansion and it was blatantly obvious what was happening to the old content even as early as TBC.  The problems started there and grew exponentially with each new expansion.

The old content is for players who never played the old content, not for some alt-o-holic on their 50th toon.  Players going back now to 'experience' slower leveling is getting just that... slower leveling.  Not the old quest lines.  Not the old zone.  Nothing of what it used to be.  If you missed it, you really did miss it.  It's like suggesting running some raid years later for transmogs is the same as release day.  Far from it.

They gave you this 'carrot' to keep you playing until the release of BfA which is likely to happen next September or later.  By the time BfA is out, you will have long been bored of the 'slower' leveling because at it's core, it's not really a fix, it's a band-aid.

Is WoD worth doing now?  How about MoP?  Legion will be tossed to the side once BfA comes out. Content that is doomed to be altered and nerfed to make the current expansion more appealing.  What are you really doing when you level an alt through content that your original toon never trekked?  Are you gaining some insight into the lore that wasn't there before?  If you are, it's because you prefer the cliff notes version.
    Octagon7711
  • SenanSenan Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Honestly, my experience coming back has been the opposite. I don't know if it's because I rolled a paladin but jesus, the game is so easy that I've logged several times out of boredom already. I was pulling 3 or 4 enemies at a time just to make things a bit more interesting, and even then, I'd get down to maybe 60-70% of my HP by the time the fight was over. The only challenging fight I've had so far was in Loch Modan with the elite lake creature that swims around.

I've seen some vids of people soloing Heroic dungeons and such at level cap and that looked like fun, so I've been trying to hold out for that, but damn, I'm not sure I can stand 90 more levels of mind numbing face roll. With as much damage as the classes do now, and as survivable as many of them are, I would think they could rank up the difficulty to a more proportional level.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    WoW has always been easy except for maybe 1-2% of the content.
    pantaro
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    I like this thread because the OP basically said that the level scaling made the leveling HARDER.
    The "usual suspects" always pretend level scaling dumbs down the leveling... which has always been wrong.
    In all fairness, the way WoW implements it does homogenize the difficulty.  ESO is obviously scaled differently, but WoW's system doesn't leave a lot of variance in difficulty.  The benefits outweigh this negative, in my opinion, but I get the sentiment.

• DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503
    edited February 2018
    As i'm getting older I get less interested in pvp, so I picked a pve realm and having a blast. Started in duskwood! Nice story only one thing bothered me when I finished a quest, blind mary said "Dark Lady watch over you" too bad I couldnt attack the npc :(

The zone was really croud!

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Galadourn said:
    Personal opinion..

i think that the actuall combat mechanics and class builds in vanilla can't compete with the current gameplay where it comes to fun....  i think i would prefer the vanilla world as a timetravel event...with current classes.. and an option to choose how hard you want the gameplay to be..

sure there where strong points like class diversity and spec trees, but the actuall class mechanics where really dull compared to todays combat...  i think gameplay wise WOW is currently in the best position ever.  It feels fresh and modern for a 15 year old game..
    A lot will also depend on which version of vanilla they decide to go with.  What will and won't be included.  Some people will not be happy with some of their decisions.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• pantaropantaro Member RarePosts: 515
    Horusra said:
    Fun longer than mining in Eve that is for sure.
    i love mining i dont care what you say! hah!
  • DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503
    Just a tip, if you are leveling alts again (like I do) buy the http://www.wowhead.com/item=150746/to-modernize-the-provisioning-of-azeroth#comments

Its account bound and for all characters.

As I want to complete each zone I start and after that I look at some story lines and decide which zone to pick but without flightpaths its a longg walk. This can save time.