Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Does This Video Show the First Glimpse of 'New' Vanilla WoW? Some Redditors Think So - World of Warc

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited February 2018 in News & Features Discussion

imageDoes This Video Show the First Glimpse of 'New' Vanilla WoW? Some Redditors Think So - World of Warcraft - MMORPG.com

World of Warcraft News - Thanks to eagle-eyed Coolit, we may be getting our first glimpse of the "new" Vanilla World of Warcraft in a brief video sent out by Blizzard to celebrate the game's 13th anniversary. In it, Reddit user "jpedrote52" points out two unusual details: 1) there are high-definition shadows visible (these were not brought into game until Wrath of the Lich King); 2) the spot where Forsaken begin their journey in the same spot as shown in the video, unlike private servers where they are in front of it.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    Well....you know...those shadows. Could it be? :)
    MadFrenchie[Deleted User]Coolit[Deleted User]laseritGaladournMrMelGibsonScot

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• AriesTigerAriesTiger Member UncommonPosts: 444
    edited February 2018
    I don't want to troll but I will never respect or even view a Reddit or redditors lol. They're just cancer waiting to spread. The amount of scrubby behavior that goes on with Reddit subbredits is extremely high. That being said, I'm glad those type of people finally found their hangout. Hopefully less of them outside that website.

You think I'm trolling, I'm sure you do in reading this.

Look at this page: https://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/ I counted 8 bait threads just by viewing their titles alone.

How about this page: https://www.reddit.com/r/swtor/ Open call-out threads and hate for guilds on the top page lol.

I'll do one more, one that was the only one I was really active in and a topic I find genuinely interesting (and half-advocating): https://www.reddit.com/r/overpopulation/ I'll let you see the trolling that goes on there.

3 legit topics I went to reddit for. 3 legit pages full of said behavior I wrote about.

ZenJellyCapodecina[Deleted User]KooturFrodoFragins
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    They always did a good job introducing the races to you before you started playing. I miss being called a "member" instead of "champion" "commander" "hero."
    d_20winghaven1rojoArcueidDaranarArskaaaMrMelGibsonjgDuffayVezlin
  • TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    Albatroes said:
    They always did a good job introducing the races to you before you started playing. I miss being called a "member" instead of "champion" "commander" "hero."
    Yup. That was one of the big reasons I quit WoW.

No I don't want to be a hero, because there are also 1,000,001 other heroes.

I don't want to be a champion

I don't want to save the world since 1,000,001 other people can do that for me

All I want is to be a peasant and do peasant stuff
    [Deleted User]ZenJellypantaroAlomarMrMelGibsonXingbairongmrputtsBeezerbeez[Deleted User]

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• barasawabarasawa Member UncommonPosts: 618
    I honestly don't expect "Vanilla WoW" to use the old engine.
    It only makes sense for them to use the new engine, and just apply the maps, quests, world rules, etc from the original release. That way they still only have one engine they have to support, and people won't be complaining about how much worse it looks.
    The original WoW may look pretty dated now, but remember, when it came out it was top of the line for anything like that. The fact that gear you wore had it's own geometry and wasn't just something painted on your characters skin was a big deal, and a new thing back then! The gaming landscape has advanced in a lot of ways, and people often forget that some things that seem old now were cutting edge when they came out.
    SetzerMrMelGibsonXingbairong[Deleted User]

Lost my mind, now trying to lose yours...

• CoolitCoolit Member UncommonPosts: 661

Ppiper said:

SBFord said:

Well....you know...those shadows. Could it be? :)

Gave me chills. 

Same here! If this turns out to be Classic its further along than I was expecting.
    [Deleted User]
  • DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503
    Who knows..

But I'm readyy for valentine:

Coolitpantaro[Deleted User]speedylegs8SovrathSiegeMachineMrMelGibsonXingbairongVezlin

• cjmarshcjmarsh Member UncommonPosts: 299
    So...let me see if I have this straight. Because it's confusing the hell out of me. WoW is releasing an even older version of itself for sale and people are excited?
    pantaroScotFrodoFraginsVezlin[Deleted User]
  • sayuusayuu Member RarePosts: 766

cjmarsh said:

So...let me see if I have this straight. Because it's confusing the hell out of me. WoW is releasing an even older version of itself for sale and people are excited?

yes and yes.

where have you been for the last decade? . .WoW fans have asked for vanilla for a while now.

[Deleted User]SinsaiAlomarjgDuffayVezlin[Deleted User][Deleted User]
    sayuu said:

cjmarsh said:

yes and yes.

where have you been for the last decade? . .WoW fans have asked for vanilla for a while now.

WoW got old for me roughly... eight or nine years ago, so I haven't been up to date with the goings on. Is this like what they have on the private servers but sold to the public?
  • btdtbtdt Member RarePosts: 523
    BfA was going to be a big seller just like all the expansions have been. Doesn't matter if it was utter crap or not, it's like a pilgrimage.

BfA also introduced a new way of purchasing... they added it to the in-game store and reduced the methods of payment using the Blizzard store to PayPal. So all the credit card users were forced into the new store which brought it to it's knees.

Doesn't matter what they do with the classic version. It won't literally be classic, thus it's never going to measure up to anyone's expectations.

Trust me, the Mac users are just thrilled that they can't even run BfA, so hearing that classic will have the same overhead is not a godsend, but another finger from Blizzard.
  • zaberfangxzaberfangx Member UncommonPosts: 1,796
    If Blizzard willing to spend tons of money to get it to work with the old engine and the code with out thinking about getting return then good for them. I still think they will take short cuts and a lot the class system will be reworked and changed. I know there was tons of people playing the wow emulator but a lot of them won't pay money to blizzard to play wow with out good or bad reason. Just got to wait and see. It will be a few years we will see any WoW real Vanilla game play for people to play in.
  • winghaven1winghaven1 Member RarePosts: 737
    I'm hoping Vanilla WoW will be what Old School runescape is to Runescape. Keeping the integrity in tact and updates that come to it have to go through a community polling so that everything moving forward will be under the same core principles.
    Alomar
  • sayuusayuu Member RarePosts: 766

I'm hoping Vanilla WoW will be what Old School runescape is to Runescape. Keeping the integrity in tact and updates that come to it have to go through a community polling so that everything moving forward will be under the same core principles.

yeah tyranny of the majority is exactly how game updates should happen. . .
    winghaven1AlomarXingbairong

sayuu said:

So democracy is in your eyes.... tyranny? You'd rather a select few would dictate the experience of the many? That's tyranny/dictatorship. Lol!
    Alomar

sayuu said:

So democracy is in your eyes.... tyranny? You'd rather a select few would dictate the experience of the many? That's tyranny/dictatorship. Lol!
    Also known as software development.
    winghaven1MrMelGibson

cjmarsh said:

sayuu said:

Also known as software development.

Nobody is arguing software developers and their insight, ability and knowledge. However, Classic WoW wouldn't exist if people weren't asking for it. It's not like the software developers of Blizzard Entertainment suddenly decided it was a good idea.

Just like with Old School runescape the people aren't the ones providing the updates, features, progress and other developments to the game. However, when these updates are showcased the community have a say in it because it is made for them not for the software engineers.

I don't see how this can be a flaw in any shape or form. It's as if Vanilla WoW isn't fan-service when it is obvious that it is very much is and the head community manager employees have stated it so. All in all, the more the vanilla community is heard, the better. The modern WoW is the child of smart marketing decisions which altered the original core of the game which is what the upcoming Classic option is there to remedy and finally offer as the alternative. It is only natural that is by the nature of its existence that the community have a bigger impact in its future development should it start off well.
  • ThupliThupli Member RarePosts: 1,318
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited February 2018
    I can't wait for Legacy servers to launch. I wont play them, but i want to see the population numbers.

Most people who played on private servers din't want classic WoW, they wanted free to play WoW. Private servers usually have tons of free accounts created, but only 4 digit active users, and that's the most popular ones.

It will be really interesting to see those official numbers when Blizz open those servers and how they will react to the results.

But who knows, if Classic WoW brings back the 12 million players it had with WotLK or close to it then they would definitely kill current WoW and go back to full Classic running on current tech. I'm OK with anything that keeps the game alive for many more years, which means more story for me to see.
    ThupliThomas2006

• Thomas2006Thomas2006 Member RarePosts: 1,152
    I can't wait for Legacy servers to launch. I wont play them, but i want to see the population numbers.

Most people who played on private servers din't want classic WoW, they wanted free to play WoW. Private servers usually have tons of free accounts created, but only 4 digit active users, and that's the most popular ones.

It will be really interesting to see those official numbers when Blizz open those servers and how they will react to the results.

But who knows, if Classic WoW brings back the 12 million players it had with WotLK or close to it then they would definitely kill current WoW and go back to full Classic running on current tech. I'm OK with anything that keeps the game alive for many more years, which means more story for me to see.
    They wouldn't kill current WoW. They have already stated they are going to run both as if they are seperate games with two different teams.  And Classic WoW will be running on current server tech also something thats already been stated.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    If they improve the graphics,that would be a good thing,but it wouldn't be vanilla Wow would it.
    It would be more like,let's find a way to improve 1% of the game and get people to spend all that money all over again.

I say quit bragging about your profits and quit half assing the game.You know those passionate gamer's redoing Wow in Unreal Engines,yeah Blizzard can do that too IF you forced them and quit supporting their half assed efforts.
    You want dull 8 bit pastel colors or more detailed colors with shaders/better lighting.You want tree bark to look like some kid was finger painting or you want rock and wood to actually look like rock and wood?
    You want armor to look like steel,cloth to look like cloth or you want cheap looking 8 bit colors?Like i cannot think of one single person who would walk into a car dealer and say "you know i am not into that shiny nice paint job,you have anything dull/faded and perhaps a tad rusty?
    hallucigenocideBruceYee

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• LetsinodLetsinod Member UncommonPosts: 385

Here is why that makes no sense. There is every iteration of WoW available in the private EMU scene. The vanilla ones are so beyond in population compared to any other verisons that its not even funny. If everyone just wanted to only play for free then the Legion servers would be bustling. Its Vanilla that people want.
    MadFrenchieMultibyte
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Letsinod said:

Here is why that makes no sense. There is every iteration of WoW available in the private EMU scene. The vanilla ones are so beyond in population compared to any other verisons that its not even funny. If everyone just wanted to only play for free then the Legion servers would be bustling. Its Vanilla that people want.
    I've said the same multiple times.  There were multiple private, vanilla servers running successfully.  There's no objective reason to turn down the extra content that comes with the expansions unless you want that specific experience.

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    Letsinod said:

That and the only reason I played on private emulated servers is because blizzard didn't offer official classic ones.

But hey let's wheel out the old, 'only cuzit's free' excuse, might as well put some rose colored glasses on it too.

Couldn't be people just want to play vanilla WoW...
    BruceYee

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• time007time007 Member UncommonPosts: 1,062
    nope

IMPORTANT:  Please keep all replies to my posts about GAMING.  Please no negative or backhanded comments directed at me personally.  If you are going to post a reply that includes how you feel about me, please don't bother replying & just ignore my post instead.  I'm on this forum to talk about GAMING.  Thank you.