Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Caspien clarifies that there will be no support for 1000 player battles

Comments

• AshyLarry24AshyLarry24 Member UncommonPosts: 208
    Dakeru said:
    Ungood said:
    Slapshot1188 said:
    I do appreciate your fascination with me though.  

In the face of the fact that you interjected yourself into a discussion I was having with someone else.. this is hilarious.

Yeah seriously Slap,

just because someone talks about you to someone else in a thread you created doesn't mean you have any right to step in.

Your impudence will be your downfall.
    Actually Ungood wasn't talking to or about slap when slap interjected.  You don't know what you're tlaking about.  No wonder you and Slap are friends!
    YashaX
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Dakeru said:
    Ungood said:
    Slapshot1188 said:

In the face of the fact that you interjected yourself into a discussion I was having with someone else.. this is hilarious.

Yeah seriously Slap,

just because someone talks about you to someone else in a thread you created doesn't mean you have any right to step in.

Actually Ungood wasn't talking to or about slap when slap interjected.  You don't know what you're tlaking about.  No wonder you and Slap are friends!
    He literally mentioned Slap by name....
    DakeruJamesGoblinYashaX

Scot said:
    Lots of people getting heated up by the numbers possible in battle. You do realise that unless the battle has some sort of structure the more players, the more likely it is to be a zerg fest?

It is the structure of how the battles will occur which is the main issue, not how many players are in it, but yes if it gets too small then there are serious issues too.

As I know so little about the game is it like DAOC or AOC, WH, GW2 (not GW2 please :) )? There is more than one way to have a large battle but structure is the key.
    I'm not really sure that information is available yet.  But obviously combat (and especially group combat) is a big concern for the community.  Obviously if the game has shit combat, it will fail, or at least not be as successful as it could be.

That being said the crafting system and combat is what's being worked on extensively right now.  So I'm sure we'll learn more in another 6 months or so.
    Ungood said:
    sayuu said:
    wow I had no Idea  Madison Wisconsin had grown to be larger than 7,116 Square miles that's over 23 times the size of NYC!

if you try to walk across Madison WI, in the winter, be ready for a week long hike.. that you may not survive.. bring alcohol.
    Luckily we know that a week in Elyria is just hours in the real world.  Plus, they have horses  ;)
    Actually this is the first time either of them responded to each other.  As you see, it was slap who first interacted with ungood, in a conversation slap wasn't a part of.

I'm sorry but the slap fan club is wrong on this one.

YashaX
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,986
    Dakeru said:
    Ungood said:
    Slapshot1188 said:

Yeah seriously Slap,

I think it should be mandatory that every the 2 CoE Bros (wink) use my name I get a quarter.  Seriously.. I attract more groupies than a rock band.   I need to figure out how to monetize this.

JamesGoblinYashaX

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

edited February 2018
    Ungood said:
    sayuu said:
    wow I had no Idea  Madison Wisconsin had grown to be larger than 7,116 Square miles that's over 23 times the size of NYC!

if you try to walk across Madison WI, in the winter, be ready for a week long hike.. that you may not survive.. bring alcohol.
    Luckily we know that a week in Elyria is just hours in the real world.  Plus, they have horses  ;)
    Actually this is the first time either of them responded to each other.  As you see, it was slap who first interacted with ungood, in a conversation slap wasn't a part of.

I'm sorry but the slap fan club is wrong on this one.

I am not a part of my own thread?

Do you understand how these things work?

A person creates a topic with an OP (Original Post).  Other people respond.

If you want a different topic you can hit the button and create one.  If you want a private discussion you can use the PM (Private Message) system and then nobody else can read or respond.

Hope that helps!

PS; You owe me another quarter
    JamesGoblinYashaX

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

edited February 2018
    Any more misinformation I can clear up though?  I think that covers just about everything.

Slapshot1188YashaX
  • time007time007 Member UncommonPosts: 1,062
    id settle for 500 person battles.  or 300 even. 
    AshyLarry24

IMPORTANT:  Please keep all replies to my posts about GAMING.  Please no negative or backhanded comments directed at me personally.  If you are going to post a reply that includes how you feel about me, please don't bother replying & just ignore my post instead.  I'm on this forum to talk about GAMING.  Thank you.
  • DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    Ungood said:
    So, Slapshot is totally off the mark with a week being a few hours. 

Yeah my bad.
    MadFrenchieYashaX
    Harbinger of Fools
    Dakeru said:
    Ungood said:
    Slapshot1188 said:

Yeah seriously Slap,

I think it should be mandatory that every the 2 CoE Bros (wink) use my name I get a quarter.  Seriously.. I attract more groupies than a rock band.   I need to figure out how to monetize this.

So wait you make a thread, and now you're mad that people are mentioning you and correcting your misinformation, and lack of understanding of the games core concepts?

Hmmm, if you don't want people to mention you instead of creating a thread, create a diary entry next time :smile:

YashaX
    Can someone explain to me too, what in this thread is exploring new information (apparently negative information too).  I'm really lost at what this thread is about.  Because so far it just seems like the same people trying to find a reason to cry about things, but not really knowing at all what they're talking about.
    YashaX
    Dakeru said:
    Ungood said:

Yeah my bad.
    Which was after slap originally interjected. Where Slap interjected I already posted, if you'd like to see.  He only mentioned slap after slap interjected and fed him false information.  So yeah.  You're wrong.  Take a hike scooter.
    YashaX
    Like on one hand slap you say "this is my post, so any conversation in this thread has to do with me", and then on the other hand you're crying about people talking about you in a thread that apparently has to do with you?  You can't have it both ways man lol.
    YashaX
    Dakeru said:
    Ungood said:
    Slapshot1188 said:

Yeah seriously Slap,

So wait you make a thread, and now you're mad that people are mentioning you and correcting your misinformation, and lack of understanding of the games core concepts?

Hmmm, if you don't want people to mention you instead of creating a thread, create a diary entry next time :smile:

When you create a thread people usually discuss the topic on that thread.

I just know how much you guys love me so much.  It's love, not hate which is the strongest emotion!  Perhaps it was the recent Valentines Day sale of Chainmail Bikini's in CoE that created the mood.  Enough love  to make accounts just to banter with me.  Truly... I am honored.

As the great Ricardo Montalban once said about his Khan role: 
    "Even when I was not on the screen, they were talking about me."

It's why Khan is in the top 10 of all time movie villains. 

A bit far afield.. but Kyleran got me in a Star Trek mood with his Kobayashi Maru line and it was on the other day.
    KyleranJamesGoblin

edited February 2018
    Dakeru said:
    Ungood said:

Yeah my bad.
    Which was after slap originally interjected. Where Slap interjected I already posted, if you'd like to see.  He only mentioned slap after slap interjected and fed him false information.  So yeah.  You're wrong.  Take a hike scooter.
    Another 3 quarters please
    JamesGoblin

• UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,532
    Dakeru said:
    Ungood said:

Yeah my bad.
    He had already responded to me by that point.. so YAH.. You're bad. 
    YashaX
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• luclinraiderluclinraider Member UncommonPosts: 96
    I'm telling you this is just another thing that slap is desperately trying to paint as some sort of hugely negative information.  CoE has never claimed to be able to have 1k people fighting in the same area.  Never.  It's really just a great example of what I've been saying all a long. He doesn't understand the concept of this game.  Wars will take place on multiple fronts.  And there is massive limitations in areas to prevent people from wanting to congregate all in the same area.  You can't have too many people in one area in a game with limited resources.

BUt again I muss stress.  90% of people (stat pulled out of my ass) will not have anything to do with what's going on in the kingdom overall.  They will be interested in the way they want to play their game, and what the king wants will have little effect on what that person is going to do in the long run.  People will be much more invested in their counties and areas they live in then the kingdom as a whole. People who hold the king title and think they're going to push people around and get them to do whatever they want, will find themselves with many enemies, and a short reign as king.
    I hate to be the one to break it to you. But the large majority of news surrounding COE has been negative. 

And although you make a good point with the story system....its cool, but it's not unique. There have been plenty of MMO's that have large arching story systems in place as far back as EQ1. This one may be more expansive....but not in any way new or ground breaking.

At this point, you seem to be attacking anyone with legitimate concerns or critiques of COE, it makes everyone pretty much just disregard what you have to say as you come off as one of the following two:

A.) A fan boy whom could have them cancel production and you would still be here defending the game as it will come out soon and blow us all away

or 

B.) Someone who sunk a TON of money into this game and now feels the need to defend his lost investment.

We see these people all the time in upcoming MMO's, but at least some of the crazy hype trains are beginning to pull into the station.

CUC: Has moved into their next phase and has shown off some extremely large scale wars all happening together.....kinda what COE was trying to do.

Star Citizen: Currently has seamless space combat into planetary landing into FPS into ship theft and back off the planet surface into space.......THIS is ground breaking and unique.

In the mean time, the only think we have from COE is:

This wont be in the game....neither will this.....this can't function in the game....but you can have contracts. As you said earlier, it's cool that I can have a contract guaranteeing my payment before I go out bounty hunting....but is this new? Shoot I had a bounty board in Fly for Fun 12 years ago that guaranteed my bounty payment before I went hunting......nothing new.

It would be nice if COE turned out great....but with all the current new being nothing but empty promises and back peddling.....it's just not looking that way.
    AllerleirauhJamesGoblinYashaX
    Dakeru said:
    Ungood said:
    Slapshot1188 said:

Yeah seriously Slap,

When you create a thread people usually discuss the topic on that thread.

I just know how much you guys love me so much.  It's love, not hate which is the strongest emotion!  Perhaps it was the recent Valentines Day sale of Chainmail Bikini's in CoE that created the mood.  Enough love  to make accounts just to banter with me.  Truly... I am honored.

As the great Ricardo Montalban once said about his Khan role: 
    "Even when I was not on the screen, they were talking about me."

It's why Khan is in the top 10 of all time movie villains. 

A bit far afield.. but Kyleran got me in a Star Trek mood with his Kobayashi Maru line and it was on the other day.
    Well I've been responding to people in this thread all day, and correcting the misinformation you've been spreading.  You seem to of lost interest in your own thread, and instead want to gloat about how much people talk about you in the thread you made?  I don't know why, seems kind of sad and desperate, but whatever floats your boat bro.

If you don't want to be mentioned, then stop saying things that either aren't true, or misleading.

And that quote doesn't fit at all here.  You are here, and we're talking about the thing you are saying in this very thread.  You seem unable to defend what you say, and instead infer to some sort of homosexual obsession the other posters have over you?  You seem to steer away from any conversation the minute it becomes obvious you're wrong and/or don't know what you're talking about.  
    YashaX
  • cjmarshcjmarsh Member UncommonPosts: 299
    time007 said:
    id settle for 500 person battles.  or 300 even. 
    I'd settle for a decent new game and a lot less BS about its development.
    Dakeru
    edited February 2018
    I'm telling you this is just another thing that slap is desperately trying to paint as some sort of hugely negative information.  CoE has never claimed to be able to have 1k people fighting in the same area.  Never.  It's really just a great example of what I've been saying all a long. He doesn't understand the concept of this game.  Wars will take place on multiple fronts.  And there is massive limitations in areas to prevent people from wanting to congregate all in the same area.  You can't have too many people in one area in a game with limited resources.

BUt again I muss stress.  90% of people (stat pulled out of my ass) will not have anything to do with what's going on in the kingdom overall.  They will be interested in the way they want to play their game, and what the king wants will have little effect on what that person is going to do in the long run.  People will be much more invested in their counties and areas they live in then the kingdom as a whole. People who hold the king title and think they're going to push people around and get them to do whatever they want, will find themselves with many enemies, and a short reign as king.
    I hate to be the one to break it to you. But the large majority of news surrounding COE has been negative. 

And although you make a good point with the story system....its cool, but it's not unique. There have been plenty of MMO's that have large arching story systems in place as far back as EQ1. This one may be more expansive....but not in any way new or ground breaking.

At this point, you seem to be attacking anyone with legitimate concerns or critiques of COE, it makes everyone pretty much just disregard what you have to say as you come off as one of the following two:

A.) A fan boy whom could have them cancel production and you would still be here defending the game as it will come out soon and blow us all away

or 

B.) Someone who sunk a TON of money into this game and now feels the need to defend his lost investment.

We see these people all the time in upcoming MMO's, but at least some of the crazy hype trains are beginning to pull into the station.

CUC: Has moved into their next phase and has shown off some extremely large scale wars all happening together.....kinda what COE was trying to do.

Star Citizen: Currently has seamless space combat into planetary landing into FPS into ship theft and back off the planet surface into space.......THIS is ground breaking and unique.

In the mean time, the only think we have from COE is:

This wont be in the game....neither will this.....this can't function in the game....but you can have contracts. As you said earlier, it's cool that I can have a contract guaranteeing my payment before I go out bounty hunting....but is this new? Shoot I had a bounty board in Fly for Fun 12 years ago that guaranteed my bounty payment before I went hunting......nothing new.

It would be nice if COE turned out great....but with all the current new being nothing but empty promises and back peddling.....it's just not looking that way.
    1.  Well the thing is, you guys seem to only focus on negative things in here.  Have there been negative aspects of the development process?  Sure.  But that doesn't mean "everything is negative".  I mean sure if you only go to this site and listen to the people who don't know what they're talking about, and try to spin anything negative then sure, it'll seem like no good information ever comes out of this game.

2.  I'm not very knowledgeable about EQ, but I don't think it had a story engine that is anywhere near to what CoE is trying to accomplish. I could be wrong, but it's not a topic I know enough about.

3. The funny thing is, I'm considered negative in the CoE community.  In fact some of the complaints you guys had about them moving away from spatial OS were verbatim, exactly what I said when the announcements were made.  I'm constantly pointing out negatives.  I was one of the most vocal people when CoE kept missing their dates they'd announce, and they'd kill the anticipation of the community.  It became so consistent that people stopped being excited for announcements.  So I guess here I'm a fanboy, and there I'm a negative nancy.  Trust me I'm not part of the group of people in CoE forums and discord that are known for defending every single decision the devs ever made.  I once created a forum topic that got peopel so pissed about the CoE devs they had to basically stop productionf or a day to deal with the huge backlash.  People still tease me about it sometimes.

4.  The thing is I've yet to see a real valid complaint man.  Like this whole thread is full of bullshit, and people that don't understand the entire concept of CoE, and really have no idea what htey're talking about.  Trust me I have my own complaints with CoE, and stuff that worries me.  Things like the overall scope of the project, and how each system seems to rely on others, making it so everything needs to be in the game for the game to work (i could go into more detail int his if you want, but i hope you get it from there).  The thing is when I go to this forum and all I read is this massive negativity and spread of misinformation... Of course I'm going to defend the developers.

5.  Nah man, I think I spent a grand totla of $150 on this game.  I don't even have an NDA.  I only spent that much because it was the best deal IMO to get into exposition.  ANd tbh it was hard to even convince myself to spend that much.  I'm the type of guy that likes to start at the bottom and work his way up to the top in games I play.

6.  I'm not asking people to have a flowery outlook on the game.  But this very thread is a thread about a thread, about a developer telling a person that something that was never advertised isn't going to be available.  It's like scraping the bottom of the barrel and trying to find something negative to talk about.
    Post edited by AshyLarry24 on
    mystichazeUngoodYashaX
  • mystichazemystichaze Member UncommonPosts: 378
    edited February 2018
    Things we know

• First and foremost, CoE is a -Roleplay- game, not a PVP game. Therefore the focus isn't on PVP like ESO for example.
    • PVP Wars will not be a daily occurrence and will also stretch over a longer period of time. Like a week or two. 
    • It will take approximately 48 Hours to cross the map of the starting content. (A little faster if you are riding a mount.)
    • There is no fast travel.
    • There are no maps or mini maps, players will have to depend on cartographers when traveling.
    • Armies on the move with Siege Equipment will need Provisions and Survival Skills in order to maintain themselves during the entirety of travel and the battle.
    • And any Kingdom worth its weight in gold is going to see the opposing army coming and perhaps start gorilla warfare, resulting in sabotaging supply lines, siege equipment ext... 
    • Not all players will be able to fight, just like in the real world only the young and strong would be best suited for war.
    • Characters will become exhausted and need rest. 
    • There is no zone chat.
    • Death matters there is no respawn feature.
    • Healers aren't magical.
    These and other things all need to be considered when talking about War in Elyria. 

Post edited by mystichaze on
    YashaX
  • killimandroskillimandros Member UncommonPosts: 64
    Ill repeat myself from earlier, it isnt the large scale battles which will be a problem, it will be in my opinion the zones where players tend to cluster up crafting and provisioning, as also there will be a lot of OPC's at the same locations. Now then we can probably consider 1k players and OPCs around, making lag very possible
    Slapshot1188
    edited February 2018
    Ill repeat myself from earlier, it isnt the large scale battles which will be a problem, it will be in my opinion the zones where players tend to cluster up crafting and provisioning, as also there will be a lot of OPC's at the same locations. Now then we can probably consider 1k players and OPCs around, making lag very possible
    • There is not a starting area or main hub in Elyria, players will be spread out all over the continent upon character creation. 
    • If one area is overpopulated you will not be given the option to join a family there when creating a Character.
    • There is no fast travel
    • Each settlement will have their own individual crafting stations and be spread out from one another. (Purchased by their Mayors and perhaps Counts in Exposition)
    • Settlements are expected to have small size populations. Therefore their won't be a clustering of players in one area.

https://chroniclesofelyria.gamepedia.com/Settlements

• killimandroskillimandros Member UncommonPosts: 64
    edited February 2018
    • There is not a starting area or main hub in Elyria, players will be spread out all over the continent upon character creation. 
    • If one area is overpopulated you will not be given the option to join a family there when creating a Character.
    • Each settlement will have their own individual crafting stations and are spread out from one another. 
    • Settlements are expected to have small size populations. Therefore their won't be a clustering of players in one area. 

I think we misunderstand each other a tiny bit, so let me elaborate; Each country has a capital (I assume). This capital should be located close to hubs of importance (mines, farms, a port maybe?) I suspect the capital or district head cities will have a major population, and how can you define overpopulated capitols? Anyway if this game will have anything close to a modest success populationwise, I dont see how its major cities will have less than 1k inhabitants, including live players OPC's and NPC's (the latter taking considerably less resources technically I assume). All of these will be present in game, together with visitors, salesmen, workers carrying goods and resources in and out of the city, animals breeding, eating, dieing, houses being cared for, production of all various goods taking place. THIS is in my opinion where we will have the first bottleneck to overcome.

Now I suspect the way to handle this, is to allocate each part of this influct system smaller and smaller area of visibility, while still performing full scripts for the OPC's and NPC's. So in theory, if you live within the core of the city, it COULD look as if its almost depopulated, because the "fog of war" will shorten your distance considerably to make prescripts and NPC's actions possible without breaking them (and that WOULD create an uproar, if a lot of players log in to discover their OPC's havent done anything all day long, because the prescript broke due to lag).
    This is the main reason why games like wow, ESO, BDO etc. have cities which almost looks deserted. Lets take ESO, as an example; Their biggest cities have almost NO NPC's , very few houses and its situated in an area so large it looks like evry city is just a small hamlet. This lorewise is of course not true. So why dont the developers of WoW, ESO etc. just make large cities with a pulsing population of NPC's? Its not because its hard to script, but because it would burn their game. In CoE, developers cant decide how many are going to inhabit one city, the players decide that, and the players decide who can live in each house etc. Logically there will be some very populated cities, hubs, where players gather to buy stuff, create parties and socialize. The /zonechat will be filled with LFG, WTS, etc, and the more important hub, the more players will gather there. The population of WoW's biggest hubs, Ironforge at vanilla, had several major breakdowns due to a lot of players being present at the same time. Fortunately when that happened, players would log off, but that wont happen in CoE. Instead the hubs will just grow and grow, the more popular, the more populated untill it will be a problem. And how are the developers gonna solve that? They cant force people out can they?
    edited February 2018
    • Each settlement will have their own individual crafting stations and are spread out from one another. 

I think we misunderstand each other a tiny bit, so let me elaborate; Each country has a capital (I assume). This capital should be located close to hubs of importance (mines, farms, a port maybe?) I suspect the capital or district head cities will have a major population, and how can you define overpopulated capitols? Anyway if this game will have anything close to a modest success populationwise, I dont see how its major cities will have less than 1k inhabitants, including live players OPC's and NPC's (the latter taking considerably less resources technically I assume). All of these will be present in game, together with visitors, salesmen, workers carrying goods and resources in and out of the city, animals breeding, eating, dieing, houses being cared for, production of all various goods taking place. THIS is in my opinion where we will have the first bottleneck to overcome.

Now I suspect the way to handle this, is to allocate each part of this influct system smaller and smaller area of visibility, while still performing full scripts for the OPC's and NPC's. So in theory, if you live within the core of the city, it COULD look as if its almost depopulated, because the "fog of war" will shorten your distance considerably to make prescripts and NPC's actions possible without breaking them (and that WOULD create an uproar, if a lot of players log in to discover their OPC's havent done anything all day long, because the prescript broke due to lag).
    Ok, for example, my Capital as a Count is just another settlement as per the structure of the game and wouldn't have a greater population than any other settlement.

As for Farmers, Miners, and Breeders, they wouldn't be -inside- the Capital settlement but rather elsewhere in the County where they have enough land to produce their goods, breed their animals or they would be wherever the minerals are, to be mined.

Then depending on agreements between the Settlements and Suppliers they would be importing and exporting the goods between different settlements. 

Once again you have to take into consideration that travel between settlements takes time.

You also have to consider that each settlement will be more specialized in their focus of production.  For example, one might focus more on Blacksmithing wherein they would be interacting with the miners more then the Capital might be. And that would mean Characters would go there to obtain their armor and weapons. (Of course, that is just an example because it is all depended on what the players decide to do in their settlements).

In addition, anyone that is specializing in something such as a blacksmithing, it wouldn't make sense for him to import his goods to the capital because he/she would want to bring commerce to his/her own settlement. 

Also when taking into consideration the OPCs, and NPCs they are already included in the number of residents per settlement. Thus they wouldn't cause a fluctuation in the numbers. Other then that, there hasn't been enough information released about OPCs and their scrips for me to debate the point.

In order to increase the population of a Settlement, you are required to have enough living space for them to reside in. (ie bedrooms for babies)

There is also the fact that PC's and NPCs -will- die of old age and possess one of their offsprings. 

PS. In response to the add-on of your post. There is no such thing as Zone Chat in Elyria. In addition to that, there are no name tags above heads or any way you can connect a player log-in to a PC unless the player themselves have told you. 

Post edited by mystichaze on