Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If you were to design your own MMO, what would you leave out?

anemoanemo Member RarePosts: 1,903
Basically this: https://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/471520/if-you-could-design-your-dream-mmo-what-would-it-feature/p1

But the reverse.   What mechanics would you just not allow to be added to your game.   After all MMOs seem to be in a slump where TONS of time needs to be spent making every mechanic ever that competitors have had.   There has got to be something that can be tossed aside like it's yesterday's crust allowing devs to put resources where they are more loved by the community.

For myself getting rid of big numbers would be nice.  I kind of liked how GuildWars 1 had a max base health of just under 500.

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

cjmarshdougha1

Comments

• iixviiiixiixviiiix Member RarePosts: 2,256
    edited February 2018
    Bind on pickup and bind on equip .
    Most other can be useful with right among , but this is ... i don't want it .

Other is level requirement to do things , i hate it .
    Laetitian4507eugheuforcebartoni33Gdemami
  • bartoni33bartoni33 Member RarePosts: 2,044
    Easy:

No forced PvP.
    TheocritusPhrywingoodAndraxxAllerleirauhsamooryesord

Bartoni's Law definition: As an Internet discussion grows volatile, the probability of a comparison involving Donald Trump approaches 1.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    bartoni33 said:
    Easy:

No forced PvP.
    +1
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,530
    For me.

I think the biggest thing I would leave out, would be: Numbers.

Most MMOs become all about the numbers, and this turns the MMO from a game designed to played, into a math challenge to find the ultimate meta builds.

So for me, I'd remove any trace of client side numbers, and leave the community descriptive terms, or just visual effects. IE: You see that you hit, varying shades of "Damage" and "Blood" would denote how hard you hit.

Weapons would describe how they work, but not give any numbers out.

This way, players would need to "feel out" what works for them, and not just look at the numbers to see what is better.
    4507eugheuforceGdemamisamooryesord
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• LaetitianLaetitian Member UncommonPosts: 21
    "Looking for Group".

My game would have an open world without instances, and if you want to do a quest with someone, you have to talk to them. Also, levelling, grinding items, or sieging territory would be most efficient in groups/clans, or at least with mercenaries.

If you want to go fight in lobby-based instances, so you can play multiplayer without having to communicate with people, go play World of Warcraft, or League of Legends, or some other streamlined mainstream game. No need for something new for that type of gameplay.
    [Deleted User]4507eugheuforce
  • deniterdeniter Member RarePosts: 1,430
    Flashing light effects in skills and spells, sparkling quest objects and nodes, auto-pathing and arrows guiding to target destination.

Those are the things i despise most.
    4507anemodougha1
  • 45074507 Member UncommonPosts: 351
    Cash shop, tab target combat, firework show combat animations, raw numbers in combat, instances, high fantasy, auction house, high vertical power gaps, "end-game", looting as the primary source of new items, combat as the primary means of progression, third person perspective, quest hubs, quest journals, quest markers, "story quests", fast travel, 'puff of smoke' mount summoning, mounts as solely cosmetics, overtly levelled zones, enemy scaling, etc.
    eugheuforce
  • immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610
    Solo activities.

• eugheuforceeugheuforce Member UncommonPosts: 46
    4507 said:
    Cash shop, tab target combat, firework show combat animations, raw numbers in combat, instances, high fantasy, auction house, high vertical power gaps, "end-game", looting as the primary source of new items, combat as the primary means of progression, third person perspective, quest hubs, quest journals, quest markers, "story quests", fast travel, 'puff of smoke' mount summoning, mounts as solely cosmetics, overtly levelled zones, enemy scaling, etc.
    If a new MMO can part away even with only a few of these points, it will mark my interest for trying it.
    But damn I agree with most of it.
  • ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    Elves
    hallucigenocideanemodougha1
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    Oh I don't know maybe the gambling?!
    cjmarsh
  • cjmarshcjmarsh Member UncommonPosts: 299
    Ability progression. Past MMOs have made such waves with it, the unlocking of new abilities with experience, that most games just seem to include it as a matter of course. If the player instead started with all of their abilities and had to fight progressively harder battles with progressively harder AI, I think it would be far more engaging then just getting a new copy of ability X when the experience bar fills up again. It makes combat feel like something that is earned, a skill that is actually learned rather than just marching towards the level cap as usual.
  • dougha1dougha1 Member UncommonPosts: 152
    edited February 2018
    Weapon trails (you know, where you swing and there is a trail of light like it is a friggen light sabre).

Crafting

Pets. (Or at least required pets.  The game should not be any more difficult merely because one does not want to have a pet along.  Guild Wars 1 had this Done Right). Ditto for vehicles.

Titles & Achievements

Puzzle-bosses

Timed quests/missions

This forum is broken. It is time to move to proboards, because they're broken.
  • sunandshadowsunandshadow Member RarePosts: 1,985
    edited February 2018
    No gear as drops!  Top-tier gear should all be crafted.
    No gear that cannot be recolored!  The game needs to have a global skin system that allows recoloring everything with a standard palette, or covering it with a costume appearance.

No main-world PvP (in an arena or battleground would be fine)

No group cooperative content which is timed.
    Single-player timed quests should have the timer manually activated by the player, not start without warning when the quest is picked up.

No case in which a resource or property can only be obtained via guild membership or cooperative group play.  Guild membership should not be required for anything except inter-guild PvP, if that exists in the game.

No perma-death.  No characters that age unless this is a totally optional cosmetic thing.

No central plot about an epic war *puke*
    I could really do without horor content.
    I'm not a big fan of high fantasy content such as good races vs. evil races.  Elves, dwarves, etc. are pretty boring unless they have a big twist to make them more original.
    I'm not a fan of steampunk, except for the clothing and the airships; even then I prefer magical wooden flying ships.  But I could really do without all the clockwork automatons.

No top-down or 3/4 overhead view.

No mouse-only movement.
    PurplePoloPlayer
    I want to help design and develop a PvE-focused, solo-friendly, sandpark MMO which combines crafting, monster hunting, and story.  So PM me if you are starting one.
  • AriesTigerAriesTiger Member UncommonPosts: 444
    ROLEYPLAYING! Lol. I mean like an RP channel or ability to RP while in game. That raises the creep factor to 11.
    dougha1
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    Clipping. But that, unfortunately, seems totally unrealistic. 
    AriesTiger
  • AriesTigerAriesTiger Member UncommonPosts: 444
    edited February 2018
    Aeander said:
    Clipping. But that, unfortunately, seems totally unrealistic. 

Yea it's the stuff like that which travels from game to game slowly ruining the game/gamer in the process. Once the gamer starts down that path they are done for life.

They'll always try to jerry rig stuff so they can use those type of old cheat mechanics in games. Even if they can't they'll still look for it.
    Post edited by AriesTiger on
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    I would leave out other players, so I guess it would just be an RPG.
    anemo
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    NO markers over npc heads to markers in maps,to linear hand holding,99% solo design in a mmo/login screen makes no sense at all,xp for doing quests...lol  makes no sense at all,unless it was xp towards being a quester profession.

What else,oh yeah cartoon graphics OUT,RAIDS OUT,geared/tiers content OUT,my game would be FUN,levels would be more like life years/aging and not some meaningless number.
    Drops would make sense,meaning NO mount dropping out of some Bosses pocket,No Axe drop while the Boss is using a Staff.

None of the nonsense i see of late like bows shooting faster than a AK47 and mages would actually appear to be conjuring magic and not shooting laser beams from their hands.

IDC if people support crappy game designs,i would make a game i want to play and one that makes sense and not just a pile of computer code thrown together with a band of misfit ideas.

What else is left out>>>somersaults,no gymnastics moves,no parallel bars or Trampolines in my mmo.NO automation like fish botting or auto travel.

I would also leave out mobs on a leash because it is wrong and a terrible mob design.I would leave out cheap lazy proximity aggro and replace it with realistic features where each mob reacts differently.
    NO instances unless it is some solo testing ground to test your individual skills or some testing trial.

NO solo combos,player to player only.NO SPAM gaming,NO over sized weapons.NO cash shop,NO loot boxes.NO FREE gaming as it would be a sub fee,every player is an equal ,no early buy ins/preorders to gain special perks unless it is outside the game stuff.

Sadly i just described what almost every single mmorpg is doing right now,i call it garbage game designs but this is sadly what people are supporting.IDC i'll think for myself thanks,i don't play follow the leader to anything popular unless i endorse it.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699
    Hmmm.. list all of the "features" of the typical f2p quest grinder mmorpg released in the past couple years.  That's what I would get rid of.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    I'd remove loot. 

There is no loot. Because in my MMO, you would be the mob using your claws and teeth to kill. You don't need stupid human or humanoid items. You are mindlessly evil and just want to kill and charge head long into everyone. I mean you're so dumb, you wait till the humanoid is within a certain radius before you attack even if you see them from miles away. You don't need loot cuz you're so dumb, you see a few humanoids coming who are slaughtering your brethren without breaking a sweat and you can't even run away if you want. 

On a more serious note:

I have to tread carefully on what I say, but I just do not like the whole eastern style of graphics or art design, or like over-sized stupid weapons or pedo-like characters. Anything with bunny ears should be road kill and not a hero. 

Cryomatrix
    dougha1
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    iixviiiix said:
    Bind on pickup and bind on equip .
    Most other can be useful with right among , but this is ... i don't want it .

Other is level requirement to do things , i hate it .
    You know, AoC released without that.  They gave up after a couple of months though since it wasted the economy. The prices of any none endgame item were so low it was no use putting it on the marketplace, everything below best in the game were worth vendortrash money since people just saved full good sets of each levelrank in the bank and everything else got put on the AH.

Levelrequirement is another matter, you can get rid of that if you do like the first Diablo and set the requirement on stats instead. If you take away all requirement though you could just skip all gear below max level since no-one that earned a little cash would want it under any circomstances. In that case it would be better to skip levels altogether instead.

Both of those ideas sounds good at first look but they don't work since they screw up the economy.

Anyways: I would start by getting rid of daily quests. They make no-one happy and add the most pointless boring grind I ever seen in the 22 years I played MMORPGs.

I also would get rid of the huge powergap that makes PvP so boring. A small powergap is more fun.

Another thing I would skip is all simple and boring quests. Kill 10 rats in the moat? no way.

Quests should be fun and hard and we don't need 5K of them, 500 good and longer quests with some acceptable dynamic events and good dungeon gameplay is more what I like. And good PvP.
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    bartoni33 said:
    Easy:

No forced PvP.
    That is hardly a feature anymore. Few western games had that one for a long time and even most Korean games have PvE servers so you can avoid it.
  • cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    Vertical Progression - this is a hangover from single player RPGs. It shouldn't exist in MMOs. Vertical progression only serves to segregate the community and provide a false sense of progression. It unbalances content and PvP. An MMO should be looking to bring people together, not split them apart!

XP / Progression tied to Stories - whenever you tie the primary form of progression to quests/story, you end up creating a very linear game and, again, segregating the community based on who has or hasn't completed a quest. I don't mind having stories in my games (even though they're usually poor), but disconnect the story from progression. 

Enrage Timers - Whenever I see a boss with an enrage timer, I am reminded that the game has been poorly designed. An enrage timer just means they couldn't design a challenging boss and so are instead implementing challenge via statistics. Try harder. 

Shallow Combat - I'm fed up of shallow combat. Action combat is the main reason why combat has become so shallow, but it is possible to have action combat and have a deep combat system (I've never seen it personally, but it is theoretically possible). If a game has shallow combat, I'll be bored very quickly and quit. Design something deeper and it'll keep me engaged for months, increasing retention and therefore revenue. 

Dungeon / Raid Finder - I think MMOs should retain some way for an average person to indicate that they are looking for a group, but I think the act of putting together a group and launching a dungeon or raid should remain manual. This is an essential part of community building, but whenever it gets automated you remove responsibility and leadership. Whilst a dungeon finder may result in more group content being run, it does nothing to improve the community and so I consider it a negative impact on the game and genre. 

Content Scaling (other than group size) - I hate content scaling. With a passion. I've never seen it done right. Whenever content is scaled to the player, it invariably makes it too easy. It removes all sense of progression and usually a sense of danger too. The only time I'm happy for content to be scaled is when it is scaled by group size, but even then I think that needs to be limited in scope and perhaps restricted only to instanced content. 

Loot-based Gear - I prefer a game where all gear is crafted and nothing is bound. You can still tie some of the best ingredients to hard content as a way to motivate people, but crafters should supply virtually all gear in the game. This creates a much better community, but more importantly it opens up options to the players. No longer will you have to grind a raid for weeks on end as the only method of progressing gear. Now, you can either craft it yourself, or buy it. Doesn't sound like much of an increase in options, but when buying gear you have tons of options for how to earn the money. Perhaps you'll farm rare mats to sell. Perhaps you'll craft low level items to sell. Perhaps you'll grind missions for gold. Perhaps you'll just trade on the auction house. Options keep people happy. 
  • sunandshadowsunandshadow Member RarePosts: 1,985
    I'd remove loot. 

There is no loot. Because in my MMO, you would be the mob using your claws and teeth to kill. You don't need stupid human or humanoid items. You are mindlessly evil and just want to kill and charge head long into everyone. I mean you're so dumb, you wait till the humanoid is within a certain radius before you attack even if you see them from miles away. You don't need loot cuz you're so dumb, you see a few humanoids coming who are slaughtering your brethren without breaking a sweat and you can't even run away if you want. 

:grin:  You know, I've played games where you are a monster.  But they always have loot, whether it's health kits, mana pots, evolution points, evolution patterns, or skill-ups.  Why would you play as a monster if you can't build your monster up?
    I want to help design and develop a PvE-focused, solo-friendly, sandpark MMO which combines crafting, monster hunting, and story.  So PM me if you are starting one.