Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Caspien clarifies that there will be no support for 1000 player battles

Comments

• sayuusayuu Member RarePosts: 766

Uhoh... As discussed in the other thread.  The starting continent will be around 18,432km^2

There's a thread that shows this to be the size of Madison Wisconsin and suburbs (down to Rockford Il). 

wow I had no Idea  Madison Wisconsin had grown to be larger than 7,116 Square miles that's over 23 times the size of NYC!

UngoodAshyLarry24
  • RealizerRealizer Member RarePosts: 724
    edited February 2018
    For reference, 18,432km^2 would be slightly smaller than the entire State of Maryland.  954 square feet smaller to be more precise, or 1535.31km squared. 

Edit: Realistically that means CoE is going for that Horizontal model Walsh spoke of, where you get players on a big land mass, so they won't run into each other as much. That's how they will reduce battle lag, there just won't be much battle. 
  • mystichazemystichaze Member UncommonPosts: 378
    Only time will tell. :)
    Only if that game ever sees the light of day.
    Indeed, another thing that will only be known in time. :)
    Realizer
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,985
    edited February 2018
    Realizer said:
    For reference, 18,432km^2 would be slightly smaller than the entire State of Maryland.  954 square feet smaller to be more precise, or 1535.31km squared. 

Edit: Realistically that means CoE is going for that Horizontal model Walsh spoke of, where you get players on a big land mass, so they won't run into each other as much. That's how they will reduce battle lag, there just won't be much battle. 
    Per Wiki the State of Maryland is much larger.. almost double... 
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maryland

CoEs closest comp for their “continent” would be Connecticut.  The 3rd smallest state in the Union.  

But its it’s early so maybe my minds is still mushy from watching mixed doubles curling all night  :)

PS- Also keep in mind that these Kingdom wars were touted as how the $10,000 Buy 2 King players would lose their kingdoms.  So in order for that to happen there must be Kingdom Wars...
    Post edited by Slapshot1188 on

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• killimandroskillimandros Member UncommonPosts: 64
    wow, curling :D Im more into downhill, snowboard and telemark skiing 
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    Realizer said:

Ask EVE how well that approach prevents large battles.

• LuftwaffenLuftwaffen Member UncommonPosts: 101
    a game doesn't need 1000 player zerg battles to be fun .... hell those are usually shit shows anyways my favorite pvp game was UOs small guild battles and fighting PKs , I play Gloria Victis at the moment the smaller fights are way better than the zerg pvp events  
    mystichazeArghimobcbully
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,532
    sayuu said:
    wow I had no Idea  Madison Wisconsin had grown to be larger than 7,116 Square miles that's over 23 times the size of NYC!

if you try to walk across Madison WI, in the winter, be ready for a week long hike.. that you may not survive.. bring alcohol.
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

Realizer said:

Per Wiki the State of Maryland is much larger.. almost double... 
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maryland

CoEs closest comp for their “continent” would be Connecticut.  The 3rd smallest state in the Union.  

But its it’s early so maybe my minds is still mushy from watching mixed doubles curling all night  :)

PS- Also keep in mind that these Kingdom wars were touted as how the $10,000 Buy 2 King players would lose their kingdoms.  So in order for that to happen there must be Kingdom Wars...
    Oh yeah, apparently this was useable land area I googled my bad. Not total land area. 
    edited February 2018
    Vrika said:
    Realizer said:

Ask EVE how well that approach prevents large battles.
    Yeah but EVE's engine doesn't start to have issues till a great number of players are in an area. That's the nature of it's engine. Will CoE be the same?
    Gdemami
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Is this where we start seeing all the promises and new ideas getting whittled away, watering it down until this becomes JAFMMORPG, from some indi developer who never finishes what they started and never delivers on anything?

Yeah, never seen that before.
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,985
    Ungood said:
    sayuu said:

if you try to walk across Madison WI, in the winter, be ready for a week long hike.. that you may not survive.. bring alcohol.
    Luckily we know that a week in Elyria is just hours in the real world.  Plus, they have horses  ;)
    LackingMMO

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• RakorRakor Member UncommonPosts: 4
    That's just the size of the starting continent, there are other continent and islands to discover.

Slapshot1188
  • tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

What percentage of people can actually participate in the battles of this "war"?  Well let's give them the benefit of the doubt and say they can support 300 player battles.   That means that less than 1 percent of characters could actually be supported in such a "battle".

Trick will be to also spread the battle. If there are several fronts all working together pushuing and pulling. It will take the load of the servers. WAR did try something like this, but it was way more instanced. 

But on the other hand... Very few mmo to date have managed to do huge battles. I do not think this one will buck the trend. 

This have been a good conversation

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    Rakor said:
    That's just the size of the starting continent, there are other continent and islands to discover.

Now there's an optimistic view.

Slapshot1188ConstantineMerus

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401

I wonder what mechanism they will try to use to manage that so too many people don't enter the same "zone"...

In 2000 Microsoft Research Games made an overlook little gem of a game called Allegiance.
    In that game they kept people from swarming the same zone by simply applying damage to everyone in the same overpopulated zone, proportional to the overload.

In addition to being a simple, yet elegant, solution to the problem, it also opened up a whole new slate of tactics around the mechanic.
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Pardon me, but I'm still skeptical about where they're going to get anywhere near 100,000 players per server that will over-stress their system.  Realistically, I think there might be 2,000 total people playing per server, so a 'Kingdom war' might only represent around 350 per kingdom.  That's doesn't count those that are scattered around all time-zones.  That number starts to dwindle quickly once you factor in the need for RW sleep and other reasons for not being online.

Another game-in-development with a "build it, and they will play" mentality concerning their customers.  Scaling for larger battles seems like solving a problem that doesn't exist and may never exist.  How much are they planning to spend on developing this?

Kyleran

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,986
    Perhaps a better question would be: What size of player battles will it support?
    cjmarshKyleranmystichaze
    Ungood said:
    sayuu said:

Luckily we know that a week in Elyria is just hours in the real world.  Plus, they have horses  ;)
    So just for my own understanding,.. a few hours in real life equals a week of game time, you said it would only take a few hours to cross the land masses, this means, in comparison, if the game takes a few hours to transverse from one side of the starting contentment to another either via continuous running or on horse.. that would be like akin to the Stating Land Mass being the size of the North American Continent. 

That's pretty big.
    Slapshot1188
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• AshyLarry24AshyLarry24 Member UncommonPosts: 208
    edited February 2018
    Isn't it pretty obvious how they plan on forcing people to spread out considering this game is a game with limited resources (hint hint), and long travel times?

Also you got to think, lets say your a blacksmith who specializes in armor.  If you're in a city with 5 other armor smiths better than you, and there's a place 2 cities over that need an armor smith what are you going to do?  

I'm kind of confused by this thread.  What in this post wasn't already known?
    mystichaze
    Ungood said:
    Ungood said:
    sayuu said:

So just for my own understanding,.. a few hours in real life equals a week of game time, you said it would only take a few hours to cross the land masses, this means, in comparison, if the game takes a few hours to transverse from one side of the starting contentment to another either via continuous running or on horse.. that would be like akin to the Stating Land Mass being the size of the North American Continent. 

That's pretty big.

Supposedly it should take 2 RL days to walk across the entire map.  That might of changed since the map was shrunk slightly, but not by much.
    Ungood
    Ungood said:
    Ungood said:
    sayuu said:

That's pretty big.

Supposedly it should take 2 RL days to walk across the entire map.  That might of changed since the map was shrunk slightly, but not by much.
    I would hope that if that is the case, then Time in game, is in reality just a cosmetic thing to chart character age, and has no real game impact.

Otherwise.. Wagering that a "week" is 4 hours real time, that would make 2 real days, equal to 12 weeks..or.. put another way.. 3 months, or a full season of time. That is a massive amount of travel time, at even a slow walk of 4 mph, that is still 12,000 miles, or put another way, half the circumference of our planet (for reference, America is only 2,600 miles across)

Yah.. not seeing that happen.

But you know.. Madison Wisconsin is a really great place.
    Kyleran

• GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813
    listen.... that's the sound of a bolt from the blue....
    edited February 2018
    Ungood said:
    Ungood said:
    Ungood said:
    sayuu said:

That's pretty big.

I would hope that if that is the case, then Time in game, is in reality just a cosmetic thing to chart character age, and has no real game impact.

Otherwise.. Wagering that a "week" is 4 hours real time, that would make 2 real days, equal to 12 weeks..or.. put another way.. 3 months, or a full season of time. That is a massive amount of travel time, at even a slow walk of 4 mph, that is still 12,000 miles, or put another way, half the circumference of our planet (for reference, America is only 2,600 miles across)

Yah.. not seeing that happen.

But you know.. Madison Wisconsin is a really great place.
    No.  A day in Elyria is about 2.8 RL hours.  A week is about 20 hours.  A season is 2-8 RL days, with an average of 4 days (although I think they said there could be world events that bring about long winters and droughts).  These things can be predicted by people who know astrology.
    Ungood
    And also no age is not just a number in the game.  You will have certain attributes that are better suited for certain ages.  For example a soldier might be in his prime from age 20-40.  But an alchemist might take more wisdom and have a prime between 50-70.  All your stats start diminishing at a really late age though.