Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ascended Gear

GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
In my other thread, I talked about returning to GW2. But now as I am approaching the end of my battle with the Undead in Orr. I will soon need to turn my gaze to the level 80 content

What are some methods that veterans would suggest to a new / returning player who when they reach 80 as a noob, can do to get ascended gear. I have some ascended accessories, but they were for old condi builds and are thus "Rabid" gear......No one uses Rabid anymore, so I basically need to start fresh. Crafting is a bit out of the way at the moment.  I need to build up my gold. I'm a bit poor. So I need some methods to grind.....Although, I am also not opposed to grinding gold to level crafting if that would be best.

Comments

• UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,532
    Ascended Trinkets, are easy enough if you have Laurels , all the stats are mainly the same still and pretty cheap, so it's easier to just buy what you want in this regard.

Rings can be very easily obtained though low level (T1 - T2) Fractals. it's RNG, so if you are looking for a specific stat, you might end up buying this as well as that would still be pretty cheap overall.

Gear on the other hand, like Armor or Weapons, will require Fractals, Raids, WvW, or some world bosses like Teq have a chance to drop them. However getting 500 in crafting is not hard, just boring and a materials waste.

Also, you can change the stat of Ascended Gear, so if you get a rabid armor box, and want zerker, 
    just take the armor to the Mystic Toilet, and change the stats.

Fast track that's pretty easy to get mats, is do WvW, PvE and Fractal daily. That should get you on the right track.

Hope this helps you.
    Octagon7711
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Thank you. Your response is pretty much on with my expectations. So, no surprises here.
  • adderVXIadderVXI Member UncommonPosts: 727
    As a recent convert to GW2, can any ascended items be purchased on the AH?

Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master.

George Washington

adderVXI said:
    As a recent convert to GW2, can any ascended items be purchased on the AH?
    No. Maybe some......SOME of the mats to craft. But that's the best you can get there.
    I was kinda hoping I could get some through the living stories and expansion stories.
  • hallucigenocidehallucigenocide Member RarePosts: 1,015
    you planning on tackling some harder stuff? otherwise you'd be fine with the orange stuff
    Octagon7711

I had fun once, it was terrible.

you planning on tackling some harder stuff? otherwise you'd be fine with the orange stuff
    Probably. But I will at least  finish the stories in the content I haven't seen yet. Then I will probably spend some time farming gold. As I understand Silverwastes Trains are the best way for that. Though I am not 100% sure, when I last played, it was world boss timers.
  • maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    Probably. But I will at least  finish the stories in the content I haven't seen yet. Then I will probably spend some time farming gold. As I understand Silverwastes Trains are the best way for that. Though I am not 100% sure, when I last played, it was world boss timers.
    In the very least the ascended rings and trinkets you can get for laurels are pretty nice to have, and are good gateway pieces in the event you want to get into fractals. @Ungood pretty much laid it out very well, but if you're really interested in working towards ascended gear, don't rush it too much and get materials as they come, save your gold and work towards, or buy a precursor and make a legendary weapon if you have one you like.

In most cases they aren't as expensive as they once were.  
    Ungood

I was kinda hoping I could get some through the living stories and expansion stories.
    You can get a few Ascended Items though the LW2 Story like Caithes' Blossom , for example, if you do the achievements. I there is also a  legendary ring you can get from the LW3 story.
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402
    Ungood said:
    You can get a few Ascended Items though the LW2 Story like Caithes' Blossom , for example, if you do the achievements. I there is also a  legendary ring you can get from the LW3 story.
    You can also get ascended ring, amulet and accessory that can be bought via resources gathered on LW3 maps and these have selectable stats (instead of static). See gw2 wiki.
    Ungood
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Agreed. Only one of my characters have ascended gear.  For the eight others what they have is fine for PvE and a little PvP from time to time.  Like someone said ascended accessories are easy to get so I've put them on everybody.  Same with legendary weapons, only two alts have those the rest have gotten along without them for years now.  

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    @GeezerGamer My Necro has been using rabid gear since year 2 or so.
    It is absolutely fine for all expansion zones.

(Raids not included because people don't like the idea of you having defensive stats)
    GeezerGamer
    Harbinger of Fools
    edited February 2018
    Dakeru said:
    @GeezerGamer My Necro has been using rabid gear since year 2 or so.
    It is absolutely fine for all expansion zones.

(Raids not included because people don't like the idea of you having defensive stats)
    Dead=0DPS
    (As if none of them ever die in a raid)

I despise the GW2 "meta" mentality. It's so flawed.  A couple years ago, there was a youtuber out there by the name of Nemisis, who kinda disappeared. Back then, he very intelligently challenged, and IMO dismantled the Pre Expansion GW2 Berzerker mentality.

I loved the way he would theory craft  and explain in great detail, his build.  I used his Necro build, based on Rampagers for Hybrid  DPS and it worked.
    I absolutely agree.
    During events whenever a legendary champion deals a major aoe you will see so many downed players who went with the berserker meta.

My defensive Necro just shrugs it off.

Until the last expansion I even just used the regular Necro (not Reaper) and went with the Death Shroud aoe healing.
    You would be surprised how much value you get out of that skill by teleporting downed players out of the danger zone to res them.
    Harbinger of Fools
    azarhal said:
    Ungood said:
    You can also get ascended ring, amulet and accessory that can be bought via resources gathered on LW3 maps and these have selectable stats (instead of static). See gw2 wiki.
    Good to know, I have not got involved with LW3, so.. I really don't know much about it.

Ungood said:
    azarhal said:
    Ungood said:
    Good to know, I have not got involved with LW3, so.. I really don't know much about it.

I rolled a new Engi, progressed through the game with a fresh start. I am currently in HOT trying to get the Mastery to enter Rata Novus.

I have to say. I am thouroughly enjoying myself here....and it's mostly solo. I thought I'd just play GW2 in my down time from FFXIV, but to be honset, I've taken a full break from FF to play this game now. At the very least, I'd like to finish my story.

So I haven't even seen LW3 Yet. Haven't seen POF yet.
    laxie
    Dakeru said:
    I absolutely agree.
    During events whenever a legendary champion deals a major aoe you will see so many downed players who went with the berserker meta.

Until the last expansion I even just used the regular Necro (not Reaper) and went with the Death Shroud aoe healing.
    You would be surprised how much value you get out of that skill by teleporting downed players out of the danger zone to res them.
    BTW, what elite are you using? I have a necro, I used him just enough to unlock my Raptor, then I rolled an Eng. But I was thinking of Reaper.
  • volttvoltt Member UncommonPosts: 432
    if you dont want to raid or do fractals for ascended gear best way is to level a craft to 500, its not very hard and not that expensive if you have some mats already in storage, i leveled armorsmithing the other day from 0-500 in about and hour and a half. From here there are 2 ways to craft ascended armor, through original recipes bought with karma or through grandmaster marks combined with WvW skirmish tokens. Keep in mind for ascended gear require mats that can be only crafted once a day. When u get a craft around 450 you can start making these time gated mats. At the beginning of my log in i usually craft 1 each time gated mats, stock up on them so you can make your armor. 
    Engineer Juggernaut Flamethrower build is a powerhouse in HoT.

Dakeru said:
    I absolutely agree.

BTW, what elite are you using? I have a necro, I used him just enough to unlock my Raptor, then I rolled an Eng. But I was thinking of Reaper.
    I'm on Scourge now going with the aoe buff.
    I don't think the Scourge is particularly cooler than standard Necro but I want to work towards the torch kill achievement.

On standard Necro I simply used the Flesh Golem because it's the only elite summon that lasts indefinitely and its charge attack is a powerful cc to break defiance bars.
    Harbinger of Fools
    Dakeru said:
    Dakeru said:
    I absolutely agree.

I don't think the Scourge is particularly cooler than standard Necro but I want to work towards the torch kill achievement.

On standard Necro I simply used the Flesh Golem because it's the only elite summon that lasts indefinitely and its charge attack is a powerful cc to break defiance bars.
    @Dakeru
    What stats do you focus on for defensive? I am assuming one is Vit.
    Dakeru said:
    Dakeru said:
    I absolutely agree.

@Dakeru
    What stats do you focus on for defensive? I am assuming one is Vit.
    No I meant I am still using rabid stats.
    The crits trigger more bleeding which is your main source of damage.

You are missing out on power but without high ferocity that's not a big deal so I prefer the toughness from rabid just to survive heavy blows.

I like this cause you are still dealing very nice damage while it gives you a feeling of being a bit of a tank and minor aoe healer.
    GeezerGamer
    Harbinger of Fools
    nice, OK thanks

• azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402
    I rechecked the thread and I realized that nobody posted an "order" for ascended gear acquisition.

I suggest getting the rings/amulet/accessories first, these are not just the easiest/cheapest to get, but they also gives the highest bang-for-the-slot. Then focus on weapons (drops, crafting or elite profession collection).

I personally wouldn't even bother with ascended armor unless you got a pile of materials you don't know what to do with that you don't plan on selling. Ascended armor is more of a money sink  (just like legendaries).

GeezerGamer
    azarhal said:
    I rechecked the thread and I realized that nobody posted an "order" for ascended gear acquisition.

I suggest getting the rings/amulet/accessories first, these are not just the easiest/cheapest to get, but they also gives the highest bang-for-the-slot. Then focus on weapons (drops, crafting or elite profession collection).

I personally wouldn't even bother with ascended armor unless you got a pile of materials you don't know what to do with that you don't plan on selling. Ascended armor is more of a money sink  (just like legendaries).

Thanks. Fortunately, I have some ascended gear accessories. As I said it's mostly rabid. I have a couple of celestial pieces too. I dropped my Holosmith and re rolled a necro. I'll revisit HOT and finish the story that way. I wanted something that has good DPS and certainly Holosmith has it. But the necro with minions is a 1 man army. LOL.