Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Feb. 9th Live Stream Replay with Pre-Alpha Gameplay - Ashes of Creation Video Podcast

Comments

• Whiteshade92Whiteshade92 Member UncommonPosts: 95
    It's the most boring mmo I have ever watched. I don't care it's pre-alpha or not. They can't proceed further than this. Their vision is so narrow.
    Who wants to play point and click combat game like this?
    It's 2018 action combat is a must.
    Also those graphics looks like a tech demo, game does't have it's atmosphere, art. It just look like a University project or something.
    JamesGoblinZenJelly
  • hallucigenocidehallucigenocide Member RarePosts: 1,015
    It's the most boring mmo I have ever watched. I don't care it's pre-alpha or not. They can't proceed further than this. Their vision is so narrow.
    Also those graphics looks like a tech demo, game does't have it's atmosphere, art. It just look like a University project or something.
    yeah i'm gonna have to disagree on that one.  
    [Deleted User][Deleted User]SandisticLeilonicjmarsh

I had fun once, it was terrible.

• XatshXatsh Member RarePosts: 451
    I echo the above poster action combat is not needed.

Honestly more times then not is a negative in mmos. Mmos are not fast paced games, they should not be mobas or fps games
    CazrielTindale111
  • ananitananit Member RarePosts: 293
    i don't think i can ever go back to snooze combat in an mmo after playing BDO :( they might have botched balance and the business model but the combat is amazing and imo the way forward.
    keeping an open mind though.
    cjmarsh
  • TnTizzTnTizz Member UncommonPosts: 39
    These people going on like action combat (BDO) is the end all be all, best system for an MMO. I wonder why people haven't fallen asleep playing WoW the most successful MMO to date with tab targeting.
    Leiloni
  • DavodtheTuttDavodtheTutt Member UncommonPosts: 415
    The graphics look amazing for pre-Alpha (unless they're planning to "soft launch" with an open Alpha?) and I don't mind about the combat -- I tried BDO and didn't find that combat all that great. Really, if you want lots of action and challenging combat, just go play an FPS or MOBA.

However, it does look awfully conventional. People make a big deal about "instanced" vs "open world" but it really makes no difference as long as you've still got pre-set monsters that respawn fairly quickly. Not all that much difference between the two.

There did seem to be a little real variety in the weapons or powers, but not all that much.

What I keep looking for is a game where doing other things and maybe using your brains can be a valuable addition. Tabula Rasa was supposed to have a language that you could learn -- or you could team up with someone who had. I think it also promised to have a technician or engineer class who would work with the teams weapons and be the one to gather or fix or disarm alien technology.

Really, almost all MMORPGs have become solo-player games where people can play together just as an option. RPGs were all about teaming up with different people with truly different roles. I'd like to see a game like that. City of Heroes had something of that flavor, but there again, people demanded the ability to run through everything (more or less) solo. And being very stealthy, invisible, or even non-corporeal rarely came in handy (how many games don't have them, or hardly?), whereas such powers have been very handy in many imaginary adventures of that sort in comic books, movies, and PnP games.

I'd like to play a game where I'd have to team up to do things, not just because we needed more destructive power (and maybe healing), but because we NEEDed a rogue/thief to sneak in somewhere, and a wizard to deal with a magical creature ordinary weapons wouldn't harm, and the wizard needed all of us to retrieve the Ancient Wand of Wonders or whatever, including the alchemist who knew how to operate the deadly Engine of Transportation and had the chemicals to burn through the adamantine lock on the Gates of Mortality. Games these days might have obstacles like that, but any solo player can just "attack" them with whatever weapon or basic spell, just like with the monsters and break them and finish the mission.

It's like they say in The Incredibles, when everybody is super, then nobody is. Well, I guess they could be if their abilities were really different yet valuable.
    pantaroSandistic
  • Mange1Mange1 Member UncommonPosts: 266
    Looks great in 2013
    Whiteshade92
  • psiicpsiic Member RarePosts: 1,640
    Have to agree with Mange looks like its crawled its way out of 2013, enough with this tired old crap embrace the technology and make some headway into 2018.
    ZenJelly
  • ArghimoArghimo Member UncommonPosts: 3
    That's was entertaining... thanks for posting! Some things revealed, some things looked familiar, all together worth watching.
  • DijonCyanideDijonCyanide Member UncommonPosts: 586
    Thanks mmorpg.com for the recording because I missed the live stream & this is one of the few mmos of the future that has my interest.
    Sandistic
  • speedylegs8speedylegs8 Member UncommonPosts: 15
    needs grass physics , big jumpy dramatic skills, and change the number hits to something a little more toned down and less annoying.
  • GreatnessGreatness Member UncommonPosts: 2,180
    edited February 2018

Sadly the games you mentioned both were canned. Do the masses really want innovation? Hard to say! Call of Duty (which I enjoy as well) continues to be very similar games yet they keep coming out with mass appeal.
    Regardless I agree with you, innovation like that would definitely be interesting to have and hope that AoC works toward that!
    DavodtheTutt

~Greatness~

Currently Playing:
    Nothing

• ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    The reason why Ashes of Creation looks good this early is that they focused on making graphical assets instead of building back end game mechanics. Its also the reason why I'm not that impressed by the game, it all looks very shallow, things tossed together in the hope that it sticks.

To make tab-target work it has to be interesting on a mechanical level which is why I find a game like Pantheon more interesting. There is a difference on how much time they spent building the game and on a mechanical level it shows.
    Mikeha
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I see some people saw some stuff i saw.Started bad,i saw the GM player moving about like he was ready for a Karate match i was not liking but luckily that was just some login stance and soon the players were just standing there.

I don't like giant nameplates littering my screen,i hope they can lose that.

The foliage had zero movement,at least get the grass wavering.

The effects were over done to the point it ruins visuals.

Combat did not look very good,from archers firing arrows too fast and likely no ammo used to avoid added effort in design.There did not seem to be any group focus,more like some players acting solo within a group,no player to player combos,something MOST games miss,so yet again,a studio that doesn't understand MMO from solo gaming.

Overall we really could only focus on combat but without actually playing we really couldn't tell what was going on other than spam attacks.
    Oh yes one other thing kind of twisted me the wrong way,one spell cast looked more like a laser beam,i prefer magic to look more like a player is conjuring up a spell and it is released and to not look like it is being shot out of a laser gun.

I fell asleep halfway through not because of the game play,i was tired lol,so i didn't see what went on the last half of video.
    Last poster sort of gets it,yes tab targeting needs to be done well and if done well is imo way better than manual aim for a rpg of course not for fpsr's.
    Intrepid would be better off narrating what is going on for each player,explaining how the combat is functioning instead of just going around killing stuff.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,854

Xatsh said:

I echo the above poster action combat is not needed.

Honestly more times then not is a negative in mmos. Mmos are not fast paced games, they should not be mobas or fps games

MMOs can be whatever pace they want to be. They can be slow paced or fast paced.

There is no set rule on what an MMO must be. There is only your personal preference.
  • GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308
    Looks okay. Nothing special, but has potential.
    Tokken
  • Dixi01Dixi01 Member UncommonPosts: 54
    edited February 2018
    Looks like there are no abilities yet, no healer class present, so game mechanic is almost not implemented. It's only visualization and basic combat - I hit mob, he hit me, some one (he or me) will die 1st...
    I'd say it will be released after 2020... :-(
    ZenJelly
  • ElderknightElderknight Member UncommonPosts: 322
    Looks way good, keep up the good work guys.
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    I understand the pulling mobs nostalgia but something always bothers me in modern games when the other enemy NPCs right next to the action are like "not my problem bro".
    [Deleted User]cjmarshTokken
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • LeiloniLeiloni Member RarePosts: 1,266
    Dixi01 said:
    Looks like there are no abilities yet, no healer class present, so game mechanic is almost not implemented. It's only visualization and basic combat - I hit mob, he hit me, some one (he or me) will die 1st...
    I'd say it will be released after 2020... :-(
    They have a healer. I'm just guessing none of the devs wanted to play.
  • LeiloniLeiloni Member RarePosts: 1,266
    edited February 2018
    Action combat can be fun but it presents a lot of problems. For one thing a lot of developers lack the skill and/or cash to do it properly, so it can end up being really bad. It also makes creating healers and sometimes tanks a bit complicated. It also creates latency issues and often exploitable gameplay.

On top of that, some of us have to worry about pain caused by the repetitive motions you see in many action combat games. If all games had fast paced action combat that so many seem to want, I would have to stop gaming and that would make me sad. The trend right now with either doing hybrid combat (i.e. ESO, GW2, SWL) or standard tab target at a normal pace, and with shortened ability bars, is exactly what I need personally. So I'm glad to see that Ashes is going that route as well.
  • JetrpgJetrpg Member UncommonPosts: 2,347
    I just the it, another MMO with the new "improved" 7-10 button action bar.
    Hopefully, i will not really be able to make any choice to have my class be different from others of the same class.
    All i can say is look at the different games doing well vs failing in the same categories, in depth systems, large learning curves ,etc. all make games attractive. One day they will learn.

"Society in every state is a blessing, but government even in its best state is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one ..." - Thomas Paine

• cjmarshcjmarsh Member UncommonPosts: 299
    If anyone had seen CU's state of development at this stage they'd be amazed at how much is done on Ashes already. Though I will say, the devs have a lot of work ahead of them.
  • EtaNn24EtaNn24 Member UncommonPosts: 2
    Excellent intro, keep up the great work :)
  • PonziniPonzini Member UncommonPosts: 506

psiic said:

Have to agree with Mange looks like its crawled its way out of 2013, enough with this tired old crap embrace the technology and make some headway into 2018.

Yeah because MMOs have done so well since 2013, right? >.>

I want my tab target combat back. I have hated every single action combat MMO where it devolves into characters rolling/running around dodging attacks. Also action combat is fucked when it comes to laggy players/servers. There have been enough action combat failure MMOs out there. Time to go back to what works.