Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Skyrim is from 2011. I think its time we stop comparing it to new games.

klash2defklash2def Member EpicPosts: 1,949
Each time a new Open World RPG comes out the first thing I see are videos from fanboys saying how much BETTER their game is than Skyrim. Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim released Nov 11, 2011. Two Thousand Freaking Eleven.

I saw this comparison when the Witcher 3 released, Dragon Age Inquisition, Horizon Zero Dawn, Zelda BOTW etc. etc. Pretty much any open-world RPG gets compared to Skyrim off the bat. All great games btw.

Skyrim set the standard for the next decade of Open World RPG experiences. Without the mods, the base game of Skyrim is still an amazing 1st-time experience. I always tell new players (yes that's still a thing) that the first thing you should do is a playthrough with no mods to really experience it as intended. Over the years the Mods have become as big as the game did so it makes sense that people want to buy it just to experience that part of it. The base game itself though is still a high-quality RPG experience. 

What gets me though, is how when these new games come out, people disregard how much influence Skyrim has had on the games after it. SO much so they start comparing it to games with better technology or games that improve on ideas Skyrim introduced. It's just not a fair comparison. Skyrim was amazing in its day, and like the games before it ES 3-4, it built on old ideas making them new ideas and made them all work. That's one thing we have to give Bethesda credit for, introducing fresh ideas that "just work". 

Kingdom Come Deliverance may be a good game who knows? But I think comparing it to Skyrim is disrespectful and unfair. These new games have the advantage of time and technology. So saying they are BETTER than Skyrim is kinda obvious.. they should be BETTER if they use Skyrim's ideas as a starting point. 

Bethesda's engine is obviously dated but in its time it was incredible. The old engine is the biggest issue for Bethesda and its why Todd Howard keeps hinting at them making the proper tech before we even smell word of ES6. The games that came after Skyrim for sure built upon ideas introduced by Bethesda's old engine and With the exception of The Witcher 3, none of those games have had the impact that Skyrim or any of The Elder Scrolls titles have had on the Gaming Industry as a whole. Great games but Skyrim revolutionized open world RPG games. They did it by building on old ideas turning them into new ones.

The same as these games, but we don't compare Neverwinter Nights to Skyrim, right? 

I'm not even the biggest Skyrim fan, (more of a fallout guy) but I really dislike that people tend to forget about who are the trendsetters and who are the followers. Again, The Witcher 3 is in my top 3 games of All Time. I love that game, multiple playthroughs, but I would be a fool to act like The Witcher 3 didn't take some inspiration and even build on ideas that Bethesda introduced years before.

If anything, Skyrim's comparison would be the games that came out in its era.. so Dragon Age Origins, Borderlands, FFXIII, Fallout New Vegas, Fable 3, Mount and Blade: WB,  and Mass Effect 2, those are the comparisons. etc..

Kingdom Come Deliverance has to be compared to The Witcher 3, Horizon Zero Dawn and Breath of The Wild etc since they are all recent. Not Skyrim. Skyrim is from 2011. 

"Ten Reasons why Kingdom Come Deliverance is better than Skyrim" type videos need to die.
"Beliefs don't change facts. Facts, if you're reasonable, should change your beliefs."

"The Society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."

Currently: Games Audio Engineer, you didn't hear what I heard, you heard what I wanted you to hear. 

IselinGdemamipantaro

Comments

• KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    It's still better than a lot of games today, and the elder scrolls open world is definitely the standard by which the bar is set so.....yeah, it will never go away until ES VI comes out and then we will be comparing a lot of things to it.
    klash2defBeezerbeezkillerqueerjimmywolflaxieTealaMrMelGibson
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Tell Bethesda to stop reselling it for the 5th/6th time as if its a new game.
    klash2defdelete5230killerqueerDeadSpockjimmywolf
  • klash2defklash2def Member EpicPosts: 1,949
    edited February 2018
    It's still better than a lot of games today, and the elder scrolls open world is definitely the standard by which the bar is set so.....yeah, it will never go away until ES VI comes out and then we will be comparing a lot of things to it.
    I agree 1000%, Skyrim is a modern-day classic. My point is there are other games to compare new games to. Saying a newer game is BETTER than Skyrim is silly at this point.

It's like saying Forza is better than Ridge Racer. Of course it is, they have better tech and time.

edit: and better might not be true..gotta wait and see universal response.. the only game I can say was BETTER was the Witcher 3. That really is better and is generally regarded as so..but still, they built on Bethesda ideas. Maybe Bethesda's new engine will be something closer to Witcher 3 than ES5. 
    cjmarshMrMelGibson
    "Beliefs don't change facts. Facts, if you're reasonable, should change your beliefs."

"The Society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."

Currently: Games Audio Engineer, you didn't hear what I heard, you heard what I wanted you to hear. 

Albatroes said:
    Tell Bethesda to stop reselling it for the 5th/6th time as if its a new game.
    Lol I agree with this comment a lot.
    delete5230MrMelGibson

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Every now and then there is a game that becomes a benchmark against which other games are judged, Skyrim is one of them, that the game still sells copies says a lot about the game, it even helped sell Switches.
     As for Kingdom come Deliverance, not impressed honestly, i don't think it compares that favourably to Skyrim, not that it really matters anyway as its an irrelevant comparison, and likely such comparisons are just acts of desperation as with the advent of Monster Hunter World and how well that game is doing, which, lets face it, given the choice of Monster Hunter World or Kingdom Come Deliverance, its an easy decision and i am guessing most will buy MHW, i wouldn't be at all surprised if Kingdom Come Deliverance was a bit of a flop, maybe they should have delayed the launch.
    klash2def
    edited February 2018
    in case you are wondering here is what triggered me:

• cjmarshcjmarsh Member UncommonPosts: 299
    I'm not sure it's fair to compare it with Witcher 3 either to be honest. That game is arguably the best of all time. There is so much that is right in that game all other developers look to it for inspiration. Warhorse studios may not be an indie developer but they are certainly a grassroots one and have had to make due with too little funding for a while. The fact that they even managed to complete a project of the scope on display (so far, I'm still waiting to see reviews before I purchase) is nothing short of impressive. I'd suggest a more fair comparison but frankly it doesn't really have any modern peers if it's half as good as it looks.
    klash2defMaurgrim
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,986
    Have we compared it to Skyrim yet?
    delete5230
  • sunandshadowsunandshadow Member RarePosts: 1,985
    Personally I think it was dumb of Bethesda not to form a content-only team to create a Skyrim 'sequel' that was essentially the same game with the story replaced.  Practically free $ they lost there.
    I want to help design and develop a PvE-focused, solo-friendly, sandpark MMO which combines crafting, monster hunting, and story.  So PM me if you are starting one.
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Skyrim is better than Skyrim
    ScotMawneeMrMelGibson
  • MaurgrimMaurgrim Member RarePosts: 1,325
    Witcher 3 stomped Skyrim to the ground in every aspect.
    Witcher 3 gameplay and world building are the new norm not copy paste Skyrim.
    jimmywolf
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Maurgrim said:
    It took CDPR 3 tries to do something better than the ES game that preceded it. Witcher 3 did surpass Skyrim in many ways but the first 2 Witcher games were Elder Scrolls lite.

I suspect that's one of the main reasons Bethesda decided to retool before pumping out the the next one.
    ConstantineMerusklash2defMrMelGibson
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• MaurgrimMaurgrim Member RarePosts: 1,325
    Iselin said:
    Maurgrim said:
    It took CDPR 3 tries to do something better than the ES game that preceded it. Witcher 3 did surpass Skyrim in many ways but the first 2 Witcher games were Elder Scrolls lite.

I suspect that's one of the main reasons Bethesda decided to retool before pumping out the the next one.
    Well the other 2 Witcher games were not designed to be open world to begin with.
  • LeFantomeLeFantome Member RarePosts: 692
    Nothing about Wow? lol

ikcin said:

Skyrim is not an original came. The concept, the story plot, many of the mechanisms are literally taken from Gothic2. You do not compare everything with G2 only because it was not popular in the US. But this is the real standard for OW RPG and it is set in 2002.

I will quote a real gamer, leader of community of gamers: Why I lost my time with this shit Morrowind? Now I play G2 and the difference is enormous.

And I agree with him. Morrowind is not a bad game, but till Skyrim Bethesda had nothing equal to G2.

Now, if we compare, Skyrim is better as graphics, and equal or better in many playing mechanisms, but still G2 gives more freedom to the player, and has better AI. The NPCs change their behavior not only in the day and the night, or when you character get specific quest or alliance, but in the different hours, during the time in longer period, if you are stronger or weaker than them and etc. - just one example.

Way to revise history lol. The first ES game, Arena, launched in 1994 and it was open world with many of the same elements (first person combat, NPCs with day/night cycles, ability to roam anywhere you wanted to go, etc.) seen in every ES game since.

Skyrim is just the latest (and apparently the only one that some players know) but it's really nothing more than a technologically updated Arena in many ways. As with all ES games (save for Arena that made the whole continent available) the only other things that each ES game does differently than previous ones is some tweaks on things like classes and skills (I still miss the original spell crafting) and focusing the story and action on a smaller part of the continent.
    klash2defcjmarshTheDarkrayneConstantineMerusTealaWaanMrMelGibson
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

edited February 2018
    ikcin said:
    Iselin said:
    ikcin said:

Skyrim is not an original came. The concept, the story plot, many of the mechanisms are literally taken from Gothic2. You do not compare everything with G2 only because it was not popular in the US. But this is the real standard for OW RPG and it is set in 2002.

I will quote a real gamer, leader of community of gamers: Why I lost my time with this shit Morrowind? Now I play G2 and the difference is enormous.

And I agree with him. Morrowind is not a bad game, but till Skyrim Bethesda had nothing equal to G2.

Now, if we compare, Skyrim is better as graphics, and equal or better in many playing mechanisms, but still G2 gives more freedom to the player, and has better AI. The NPCs change their behavior not only in the day and the night, or when you character get specific quest or alliance, but in the different hours, during the time in longer period, if you are stronger or weaker than them and etc. - just one example.

Way to revise history lol. The first ES game, Arena, launched in 1994 and it was open world with many of the same elements (first person combat, NPCs with day/night cycles, ability to roam anywhere you wanted to go, etc.) seen in every ES game since.

Skyrim is just the latest (and apparently the only one that some players know) but it's really nothing more than a technologically updated Arena in many ways. As with all ES games (save for Arena that made the whole continent available) the only other things that each ES game does differently than previous ones is some tweaks on things like classes and skills (I still miss the original spell crafting) and focusing the story and action on a smaller part of the continent.

But the best OW game released till now is G2. This is the standard. And, in how many OW games your character can climb on a random tree?

Do not get me wrong. For example I like much more TW3 because the depth of the story. But as mechanisms of the gameplay, world and AI, G2 is simply better.

Now there are many games with better combat mechanisms, better customization of the look of the character, better stories, and etc. But again, as open world mechanisms, AI of the NPCs, and role playing, I think G2 is still the best.

And this is amazing for a game made in 2002. Or a shame for the gaming industry.

Don't get me wrong... I played G2 and also liked it a lot but Skyrim didn't copy anything other than earlier ES games.

From the Arena wiki page:

The actual game-world is substantially larger than MorrowindOblivion, and Skyrim together. The game utilizes randomly generated content to generate a massive world (around 6 million square kilometers), without much effort on the developers' part. The world has hundreds of towns made with actual design, rather than being random, containing businesses with random names (Examples being "Gold Sword" "Silver Gauntlet" etc.) As well as several hundred dungeons, along with 17 specially designed dungeons that were part of the game's main quest.

Arena was one of the first games to have a day and night cycle, with stores closing at night, people getting off the streets, and monsters (OrcsLizard Men, etc.) wandering around towns at night.

It really was something very unique for its time.

klash2defMrMelGibson

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,012
    ikcin said:
    As for G2 and Skyrim - the story with the dragons, Bethesda just took it, and it is not a very good one, the influence is obvious in many aspects.

yeah, the thing about that, you can blame that on Mythology. There is a dragon at the end of the world in Ragnarok as well as a type of dragon that is thought to end the world in Indian mythology.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say neither the Skyrim or the Gothic 2 story are really original.
    IselincjmarshMrMelGibsonklash2def
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    klash2def said:
    Each time a new Open World RPG comes out the first thing I see are videos
    Your experience of looking for games to play is very different from mine, then.  If someone posts a video to make their case, I usually assume that it means that they don't have anything sufficiently worth saying to bother to type it up.

As to the substance of your post, I don't recall seeing a bunch of recent games compared to Skyrim.  Then again, if I did, I likely wouldn't notice it, as the comparison wouldn't be meaningful to me.
    klash2def
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    klash2def said:
    I agree 1000%, Skyrim is a modern-day classic. My point is there are other games to compare new games to. Saying a newer game is BETTER than Skyrim is silly at this point.

It's like saying Forza is better than Ridge Racer. Of course it is, they have better tech and time.

edit: and better might not be true..gotta wait and see universal response.. the only game I can say was BETTER was the Witcher 3. That really is better and is generally regarded as so..but still, they built on Bethesda ideas. Maybe Bethesda's new engine will be something closer to Witcher 3 than ES5. 
    I don't see computer games as steadily getting better over time.  The graphics can get better, sure, but that's barely relevant.  There weren't many gameplay mechanics that games couldn't implement a decade ago but can today because of improving hardware.

That there were some new games are better than some older games and worse than other older games is hardly a new phenomenon.  Tecmo Super Bowl is still better than a lot of games that will release this year.
    EpicJohnsondave6660
    Sovrath said:
    ikcin said:
    As for G2 and Skyrim - the story with the dragons, Bethesda just took it, and it is not a very good one, the influence is obvious in many aspects.

yeah, the thing about that, you can blame that on Mythology. There is a dragon at the end of the world in Ragnarok as well as a type of dragon that is thought to end the world in Indian mythology.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say neither the Skyrim or the Gothic 2 story are really original.
    Not to mention that ES Redguard had a dragon in 1998.

And correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think I've ever seen anything quite like the Dovahkiin's dragon tongue shouts in any other games or mythology. Dragons that talk that shapeshift into human form and that use magic? Sure. They're ideas that go back millennia but I thought the shouts were a pretty cool and unique Skyrim thing.
    Sovrathklash2defimmodiumMrMelGibson

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    ESO only contains a small part of the Skyrim land mass.

Is there any doubt that the rest of Skyrim - and the dragons! - will be coming?

What is less clear is when / whether there will be another stand alone Elder Scrolls game. There were rumours but early last year (?) the speculation was that it had been put on the back burner. With ESO success maybe they feel it better to stick with that for now?
    klash2def
  • iixviiiixiixviiiix Member RarePosts: 2,256
    edited February 2018

Skyrim with mods is better than Skyrim
    hahaha fixed
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    edited February 2018
    gervaise1 said:
    ESO only contains a small part of the Skyrim land mass.

Is there any doubt that the rest of Skyrim - and the dragons! - will be coming?

What is less clear is when / whether there will be another stand alone Elder Scrolls game. There were rumours but early last year (?) the speculation was that it had been put on the back burner. With ESO success maybe they feel it better to stick with that for now?
    The Dragons coming would completely destroy the lore.

The live ones are hiding until the Septim era or supposed to be on another continent that has never been touched by any of the games and the souls of the physically dead ones are dormant until Alduin's command to wake them up. I wouldn't expect any Dragons that aren't undead or Daedra in ESO.

They could decide to let players go to this other continent or have players go deep underground or something and run into one if they wanted to really stretch things but putting live Dragons into Tamriel would wreck Skyrim's storyline.

I think the hardcore fans and lore junkies would be seriously upset if they did it. Wouldn't bother me personally.
    Post edited by TheDarkrayne on
    klash2defMrMelGibson
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,869
    Personally I don't compare anything to Skyrim now. I just compare everything to Witcher 3 :P 
    Flyte27Maurgrim
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Celcius said:
    Personally I don't compare anything to Skyrim now. I just compare everything to Witcher 3 :P 
    I compare everything to Original Sin 2 at the moment.
    MrMelGibson
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.