Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

First Wave PTU Access Now A Permanent Subscription 'Perk'.

2»

Comments

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    Erillion said:
    I can;t even think of that guys name from florida. but this is his thread. It was so easy to spot. THe singular question forced him to try a different account.  
    This is why people develop the impression that Star Citizen is a cult.  I've known @Cotic online for years; he used to frequent massivelyop.com.  However, he said something bad about Star Citizen, ergo he must be an alt of he-who-must-not-be-named?

You may as well capitalize the "h" in "his".  It would acknowledge the de facto pantheon you guys have created.
    Was 

*** drumroll ***

HE

mentioned ?

*** flourish ***

Have fun
    It wasn't too hard to interpret who @Mars_Orbital meant by "that guys name from florida" (sic).

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Erillion said:
    >>>
    CIG alleges this was by popular request which is very doubtful.
    >>>

@Cotic ;   You missed that there was a long subscriber questionaire having been sent out by CIG not long ago ... which was announced on the SC website. This is one of the measures derived from analysing the results of this poll. To me it is highly likely, not very doubtful.

>>>
    If you have a sub for a game you should get access to all of it.
    >>>

@bartoni33 ; This is a community subscription. Not a game subscription like in other games. The subscription helps to pay for the creation of the community magazine "Jump Point" and various v-blogs. You do not pay for being able to play the game - for that you donated to the crowdfunding campaign and got a pledge package.

They have added some in game perks for subscribers, like decoration items for the hangar etc.

This PTU access is another one of these perks.  If play-testing an early Alpha version is considered a perk by you.

Have fun

Except you missed the point that perhaps they can say anything,even pretend they actually look at any questionnaire/survey,they can basically manipulate the results to get whatever they want.

Talk is cheap,like real cheap,no law against it and no way to prove what they say is a lie or fabricated or stretching the truth.

This is also a real good reason to NOT build a game like this.The term popular would mean many but not everyone,so those perhaps spending thousands in hopes of a certain design can now see it changed day by day ,week by week all based on popular vote be it true or not.

When i spend money,i pretty much know what i want or expect to get out of it.If my investment is just a "wing it"operation with no definitive hardcore design decisions,i am not a happy camper,i expect an ORGANIZED and well thought out game design.So far Chris has shown to be capable of neither.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    Sounds like  

*** drumroll ***

HE

*** dramatic pause ***

was NOT mentioned !

*** flourish ***

Have fun
    Cotic
  • IzzinIzzin Member UncommonPosts: 37
    I guess I am confused:
    What is the real rub here? 

EVERYONE gets Alpha access via PU.

Someone has to be first: 
    Very first are Evocati - Some of them are SUB some are not - pre PU and even pre PTU

2nd wave (1st public wave) is filed with SUB first, and highly probable some non SUB

Eventually everyone gets access to PTU, or PTU is solid enough where it goes PU.

Where is anyone excluded from alpha, short of non backers?

If anything, they have added perks over the course of the years, you used to have to have backed a specific level of backing before Alpha was even available, now they have removed any restriction and every backer with a starter package gets access. 

Is there really much salt around testing in PTU first which arguably will be the most unstable version after evocati have cleared it?

--Izz
    Erillion
  • ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    >>> Except you missed the point >>>

Not missed the point.

It is just that i think CIG IS listening to their backers. Others seem to think CIG is lying whenever you see a mouth moving of any of their spokesmen.

Just a difference in opinion.

>>> i expect an ORGANIZED and well thought out game design. >>>

Then you should never look too closely into the design of most games during their early years.

I recommend to read about the development of The_Bureau:XCOM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bureau:_XCOM_Declassified

In contrast to that SC is a paragon of organizational skill.

Have fun

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    edited February 2018
    Torval said:
    Brenelael said:
    The only real issue is they are going to have a lot of people sub just to be in the first wave and then go and whine on the forum that the game isn't absolutely perfect. Testing early builds should be for those who want to actually test the game... The Evocoti mainly followed by those who have shown a desire to test and give good feedback.

I have a feeling that this decision will come back to bite them in the end as they are going to have a bunch of whiners with too much disposable income testing their game instead of actual good alpha testers.

Bren
    I think if you're going to charge a sub then you should provide access to the game. I don't care what you call the sub, "community" or "game". I feel the same way about Pantheon too and their sub.

That said, I think you nailed the issue and that it will come back to bite them in the butt for all the reasons you said. There are people who want this to blow up so bad it could cure terminal illnesses and they'd lie about it.
    Wanting this to blow up is a waste of interest.  In all likelihood it will either be a slow fizzle or a moderate success.  I just find the humanity of it all entertaining.

...and since when do video games cure terminal illnesses?

I realize you are making an extreme hypothetical, but oddly enough it's not the first time I've seen somebody use this example with respect to Star Citizen.  It's a computer game, not cancer research.
    Post edited by Phaserlight on
    [Deleted User]

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821
    edited February 2018
    Torval said:
    Brenelael said:
    The only real issue is they are going to have a lot of people sub just to be in the first wave and then go and whine on the forum that the game isn't absolutely perfect. Testing early builds should be for those who want to actually test the game... The Evocoti mainly followed by those who have shown a desire to test and give good feedback.

I have a feeling that this decision will come back to bite them in the end as they are going to have a bunch of whiners with too much disposable income testing their game instead of actual good alpha testers.

Bren
    I think if you're going to charge a sub then you should provide access to the game. I don't care what you call the sub, "community" or "game". I feel the same way about Pantheon too and their sub.

That said, I think you nailed the issue and that it will come back to bite them in the butt for all the reasons you said. There are people who want this to blow up so bad it could cure terminal illnesses and they'd lie about it.
    I agree to that as well. Every coin has two sides. I'm absolutely sure there are those who will sub, come across a horribly game breaking bug and will act like nothing is wrong because they desperately want it to be perfect. They are every bit as bad as those who whine about every minor glitch without giving any informative feedback.

Choosing someone as an Alpha Tester should never be decided by someone's wallet instead of their merits as a tester.

Bren
    [Deleted User]

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• CoticCotic Member UncommonPosts: 268
    I can;t even think of that guys name from florida. but this is his thread. It was so easy to spot. THe singular question forced him to try a different account.  
    This is why people develop the impression that Star Citizen is a cult.  I've known @Cotic online for years; he used to frequent massivelyop.com.  However, he said something bad about Star Citizen, ergo he must be an alt of he-who-must-not-be-named?

You may as well capitalize the "h" in "his".  It would acknowledge the de facto pantheon you guys have created.
    Tread carefully now. If you respond to him he will accuse you of being an alternate account.
  • KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    Cotic said:

Tread carefully now. If you respond to him he will accuse you of being an alternate account.
    Pff don’t you know we are all Derek Smart? Even those who think he’s the boogeyman are Derek Smart as well.
    Brenelael