Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

REZZED: The Most Important MMOs Of The First Modern Decade - The List - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited February 2018 in News & Features Discussion

imageREZZED: The Most Important MMOs Of The First Modern Decade - The List - MMORPG.com

We're bringing back another blast from the past from our friend Richard Aihoshi. In his column from November 2014, he talked about the "first modern era" of MMOs, namely the seminal games released between 1996-2005. Some of these games are the ones many of us cut our MMO teeth on. It's a fun look back, not only at 2014, but at the ancient days of yore stretching back into the last century. See if his thoughts still hold true today!

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• Pipersun69Pipersun69 Member UncommonPosts: 6
    How do you skip over Everquest like that?
    HarikenOyjordcoolster50MazenealViper482BugglugHluillThunder073wingoodValdheimand 10 others.
  • MargraveMargrave Member RarePosts: 1,362
    No mention of Everquest means this is not an accurate article.

In it's hay day it had 450K subscribers! At that time analysts were saying that all the people that would ever pay for a game sub were already doing such.

THEN WoW launched, and blew those numbers out of the water.

With a very close launch to one another EQ2 was never able to pull the ahead of WoW.
    [Deleted User]OyjordViper482Bugglugjosko9TacticalZombehHluillThunder073wingoodValdheimand 8 others.
  • FinvegaFinvega Member RarePosts: 260
    Meridian
    Uo
    Eq
    AC1
    Camelot
    WoW
    OyjordTamanousYukmarcBugglugTacticalZombehDhamon99HluillThunder073ValdheimXarkoand 2 others.
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    There is no justification for leaving out Everquest.
    OyjordSinsaiViper482BugglugTacticalZombehDhamon99HluillThunder073wingoodValdheimand 9 others.

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• BanegrivmBanegrivm Member UncommonPosts: 262

Finvega said:

Meridian

Uo

Eq

AC1

Camelot

WoW

Yep, no mention of ANY of the original MMO's. NWN on AOL, Shadows of Yserbius on TSN/INN, Meridian 59 as you mentioned, and Mutli-Player Battletech. After these came The Realm and Ultima Online, and then EverQuest came out. EQ was the first really huge MMO to come out after the originals. I remember all the stories of people who left UO to come to EQ. Then after which of course WoW came out and the rest is history.
    BugglugThunder073indyinLanthir

Banegrivm
    Leader of the 1st Fist of Light
    www.1stfistoflight.com

• AlvonuAlvonu Member UncommonPosts: 34
    No EQ = This is a troll article.
    HJ-NavarreOyjordSinsaiViper482BugglugTacticalZombehHluillThunder073Valdheimdaltaniousand 5 others.
  • etharnetharn Member UncommonPosts: 152
    WoW hurt the mmo industry imo.
    HJ-Navarre[Deleted User]cameltosiskoldmiserSamhaelViper482BruceYeeCelciusBugglugHluilland 2 others.

A man who fears nothing is a man who loves nothing; and if you love nothing, what joy is there in your life?

• AlizolAlizol Member UncommonPosts: 1
    EQ doesn't deserve to be on this list. It was game breaking. It didn't bring anything new to the table. It wasnt globally accepted and it didn't shape the world of MMOGs. Y'all should turn off ya fanboy modes and look at the facts.
    MazenealetharnSandmanjwViper482josko9Dhamon99HluillThunder073LackingMMOobiiand 2 others.
  • VakiVaki Member UncommonPosts: 5
    How do you not include EQ or SWG or DAOC, Invalid List.
    BugglugThunder073
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001

Vaki said:

How do you not include EQ or SWG or DAOC, Invalid List.

There's a whole paragraph explaining "why" he weighted his choices the way he did. It's not detailed but it does paint enough of a picture that if someone doesn't see a game that he/she would think to go on such a list (or sees one they disagree with) they will at least have some frame of reference for the decisions made to create the list.
    cjmarshwingoodLanthir
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • koldmiserkoldmiser Member RarePosts: 348
    You left off Dark Age of Camelot and City of Heroes! DAoC gave us Realm Vs Realm which was some of the best PVP even to this day and City of Heroes took us out of a fantasy setting and gave us a great Superhero MMO.
    OyjordBruceYeeThunder073wingood
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,952
    Richard Aihoshi is the fellow who used to write about how wonderful cash shops and F2P were when many posters thought F2P would never truly replace the subscription model.

Well it did and he stopped doing articles, I thought it was job done so he moved on to something else.
    BruceYee
  • cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    My initial reaction was "where the fuck is SWG?!?" but yeh, upon reflection SWG really hasn't had much impact on the genre at all. It was innovative and really ground breaking, but the ideas never progressed and still haven't been picked up by the industry. 
    HluillThunder073Valdheim
  • koldmiserkoldmiser Member RarePosts: 348

Aori said:

He is talking on a global level not just a NA one. EQ had little impact outside of NA. Whereas Lineage(rarely ever counted on this site) affected far more and had a much broader reach, as he said, it spurred a new market in that region which exploded in popularity and spread even to our neck of the woods.

Not trying to start a fight, but if he was really talking on a global level then "Fantasy Westward Journey (2004)" wouldn't be on that list as it had zero impact outside of Asia.
    SinsaiThunder073sschrupp
  • TwoTubesTwoTubes Member UncommonPosts: 328
    edited February 2018

I'll feed the troll...err" author?" Buahaha nice list. Wow isn't a first gen mmo...and as others pointed out he didn't list EQ (which many of the wow developers played/were heavily influenced by). I would argue EQ brought mmos to the mainstream in the US. (it isn't much of a debate really).

I question if this guy even played many of those games? Or maybe he didn't play others and thats why there are the glaring holes in the assessment? He only listed what he played? Either way. I feel like its april first...
    Tindale111
  • AnthurAnthur Member UncommonPosts: 961
    Might be the authors oppinion and you can't argue that. But it is my oppinion that this list is crap. WoW wouldn't even exist the way it does without Everquest. So leaving out EQ makes this list irrelevant.
    SinsaiTindale111TacticalZombehmarganculos
  • RealizerRealizer Member RarePosts: 724
    UO, EQ, DAoC, Shadowbane, SWG, WoW

Those were the big ones for me, in that chronological order. As far as impact, all of those titles have/had features that WoW incorporated, SWG could be up for debate though. So by that measure WoW copied them, and everyone since has copied WoW imo.
    Sinsai
  • SamhaelSamhael Member RarePosts: 1,498
    Damn, I really miss Richard's articles. I didn't always agree with him (and frequently disagreed!) but he usually posted a well-thought out column and supported it with solid reasoning. Whatever happened to him? If he is still out there, you guys should really try to bring him back!
    [Deleted User]
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    koldmiser said:

Aori said:

He is talking on a global level not just a NA one. EQ had little impact outside of NA. Whereas Lineage(rarely ever counted on this site) affected far more and had a much broader reach, as he said, it spurred a new market in that region which exploded in popularity and spread even to our neck of the woods.

Not trying to start a fight, but if he was really talking on a global level then "Fantasy Westward Journey (2004)" wouldn't be on that list as it had zero impact outside of Asia.
    I think Torval pretty much said it. You're thinking "china = 1 country and there are other countries" over "china = a huge population more than many countries combined".

Now, if it didn't have any impact outside of, say, Lichtenstein then yeah you would have a point.

So, off the cuff, If I add up the populations of France, Italy, Spain and Germany I get ~ 256.73 million.

China has 1.35 billion.

We could add Great Britain and it still won't surpass China.  And Australia.
    [Deleted User]wingood
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    "Notably, this happened in the summer of 2003, nearly six years after launch, offering proof positive - if there were still any lingering doubts by then - that MMOGs could be truly long-term propositions."

Read more at https://www.mmorpg.com/columns/rezzed-the-most-important-mmos-of-the-first-modern-decade-1000009084#s9U6TsH0O6Qf0eHy.99

My oh my, the worm turned here. We're only recently getting back to devs paying lip service to the idea of MMORPGs as long-term gamer homes.

Until the number of titles available is significantly curbed, in not sure such long-term retention is even possible. This genre, uniquely, suffers extra hard from saturation.

• buegurbuegur Member UncommonPosts: 457
    Of that list I only played WoW and thought that no better than DAoC and EQ. Best thing that could be said about it was it was less time consuming to level. Didn't care for the graphics or PvP i saw in Ultimate Online and gave that a pass.
    When Eq came out it was the first MMO of its kind, with 1st and 3rd person graphics. All other modern MMO's built on what EQ had made. In my opinion EQ is the mother of all MMO's and not to include it was a big mistake.
    DAoC brought innovation on Realm warfare and a much deeper meaning to the gender then just leveling to become strong enough to tackle elite dungeon stuff.
    Star Wars Galaxy brought a much more indepth community in both crafting and player built towns. Unfortunately SWG killed itself by trying to dumb down the parts that made it great.
    In summary I don't see anything innovated about Lineage, Final Westward Journey (never even heard of this one!), or Final Fantasy XI, none of which peaked my interest enough to play! I've played a ton of MMO's and today mostly play STO and a bit of SWG added just for reference.
    Branoc
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    FFFXI had the first server wide auction house.. I think? That was a major influence to the genre.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680

How do you skip over Everquest like that?

What a pathetic joke to read. No Everquest or Anarchy Online. I swear sometimes these so called experts are so sad.
    SinsaiOzmodan
  • CygiCygi Member RarePosts: 257
    2 pages? Really?
    Sinsai
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited February 2018
    EQ honestly was the foundation for most mmorpgs so....Its like naming presidents but forgetting Benjamin Franklin. Also no mention of RO....and if you dont think seeing thousands of people in Prontera doesn't count as a MMO, you got issues...
    SinsaiIselinOzmodan