Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

CIG is working hard to implement VR

Comments

• HashbrickHashbrick Member RarePosts: 1,851
    A wise man once said, "Work smarter, not harder." If only the Star Citizen dev team got that lesson.
    [[ DEAD ]] - Funny - I deleted my account on the site using the cancel account button.  Forum user is separate and still exists with no way of deleting it. Delete it admins. Do it, this ends now.
  • ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    Hashbrick said:
    A wise man once said, "Work smarter, not harder." If only the Star Citizen dev team got that lesson.
    Most wise men say this AFTER a life filled with hard work.

Have fun
  • KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    Erillion said:
    Kefo said:
    Where you posted your reply above that one. I’m still waiting on that answer or you to say you were wrong instead of being lazy with your answers because you don’t like to admit you were wrong.
    You do not have any information on great space games it seems ;-)

So i asked you about information you claim to have.

And i am still waiting for that information.

Which makes me suspect that you do not have THAT information either.

Have fun

Whatever helps you sleep at night and avoid having to say you were wrong.
    Kefo said:
    Erillion said:
    Kefo said:
    Where you posted your reply above that one. I’m still waiting on that answer or you to say you were wrong instead of being lazy with your answers because you don’t like to admit you were wrong.

Have fun

Still no information from you.

So ... the information you claim to have does not exist.

I understand.

Have fun
    Erillion said:
    Kefo said:
    Erillion said:
    Kefo said:

Have fun

Still no information from you.

So ... the information you claim to have does not exist.

I understand.

Have fun
    Lol and still nothing admitting you’re wrong. We could go back and forth until the thread is shut down and I have a feeling you’d never actually admit that you screwed up just like with that wing commander entry in the Wikipedia about making money
    Kefo said:
    Lol and still nothing admitting you’re wrong. We could go back and forth until the thread is shut down and I have a feeling you’d never actually admit that you screwed up just like with that wing commander entry in the Wikipedia about making money
    Information from Kefo ?  Nope.

Links from Kefo ?  Nope.

Nothing to see here ... move on ....

Have fun
  • sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197
    Erillion said:
    Hashbrick said:

Have fun
    Which is why we call it wisdom.
    It's something people hold to high regard because it helps them from repeating mistakes more experienced people have.

Though I can see why you'd purposefully disregard that when you're making shitloads of money by constantly refactoring your work.

..Cake..

Erillion said:
    Kefo said:
    Information from Kefo ?  Nope.

Links from Kefo ?  Nope.

Nothing to see here ... move on ....

Have fun
    seems I struck a nerve. 
    WalkinGlenn
    edited February 2018
    Kefo said:
    seems I struck a nerve. 
    Seems like you are not providing the information.

>>>>
    I’ve seen indie teams with shoe string budgets create games that had more content and were fun to play faster then this.
    >>>>

Which teams and which games ?

And especially ... how have they implemented VR, as this is topic of this thread.

Have fun

• IzzinIzzin Member UncommonPosts: 37
    sgel said:
    It's something people hold to high regard because it helps them from repeating mistakes more experienced people have.

Though I can see why you'd purposefully disregard that when you're making shitloads of money by constantly refactoring your work.
    The challenge is wisdom is in the eyes of the one quoting wisdom.

And you could make an argument that they are using the wisdom learned from doing the hard work to understand that a refactor is necessary to prepare for another challenge. 

Refactoring can be considered a necessary evil for coders.  Learning / coding is an evolutionary process. You use pseudo code to plan out your functions and actions, then you start to flesh them out. During the flesh out process, you determine there is a better, more efficient, and more extensible way. You refactor that element to use what you learned.  This is an iterative process. 

This is showing the wisdom learned from the many hundreds and thousands of hours of collective knowledge.

More junior dev houses would simply code and go, and then during bug smashing decide, oh, we would have been better and done it this way and try to fix it then. This is how we end up with patchwork development and messy code to maintain.

Please be conscious of the building blocks that make up a standard game (and/or) application. How proper planning of foundational elements allow for better execution further down the line. 

We are experiencing the solving the hard problems phase of development. 

--Izz
    Erillion
  • ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476
    Any word on player housing and interior deckorating ?
    " Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
    Elsabolts said:
    Any word on player housing and interior deckorating ?
    Interior decoration is live ever since the Hangar module became available.

Here is a video from 2013 

Have fun

• sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197
    edited February 2018
    Izzin said:
    sgel said:

The challenge is wisdom is in the eyes of the one quoting wisdom.

And you could make an argument that they are using the wisdom learned from doing the hard work to understand that a refactor is necessary to prepare for another challenge. 

Refactoring can be considered a necessary evil for coders.  Learning / coding is an evolutionary process. You use pseudo code to plan out your functions and actions, then you start to flesh them out. During the flesh out process, you determine there is a better, more efficient, and more extensible way. You refactor that element to use what you learned.  This is an iterative process. 

This is showing the wisdom learned from the many hundreds and thousands of hours of collective knowledge.

More junior dev houses would simply code and go, and then during bug smashing decide, oh, we would have been better and done it this way and try to fix it then. This is how we end up with patchwork development and messy code to maintain.

Please be conscious of the building blocks that make up a standard game (and/or) application. How proper planning of foundational elements allow for better execution further down the line. 

We are experiencing the solving the hard problems phase of development. 

--Izz
    I'm sure if all dev houses had the luxury of infinite funding and no deadline, they could just sit there and becoming zen coders for the rest of their lives.
    Sure the game is shit, buggy, as boring as it could possibly be... but our coders have become wise because of the patience and funding of the backers.

Also why are you even mentioning "proper planning" in a thread about SC... a game being made by a guy who can't tell the difference between 2 weeks and 8 months.
    kikoodutroa8

..Cake..

• Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064
    Might extend development to 2075.
    kikoodutroa8
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476
    Well I see that did not work, I was trying to be funny Erilion, cig should spend there time on getting the PU done first.
    " Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
    Erillion said:
    Kefo said:
    seems I struck a nerve. 

>>>>
    I’ve seen indie teams with shoe string budgets create games that had more content and were fun to play faster then this.
    >>>>

And especially ... how have they implemented VR, as this is topic of this thread.

Have fun

Moving the goalposts now eh? Classic SC fan. Won’t admit their wrong and move the goalposts to try and make themselves look better
    Kefo said:
    Erillion said:
    Kefo said:
    seems I struck a nerve. 

>>>>
    >>>>

Have fun

Moving the goalposts now eh? Classic SC fan. Won’t admit their wrong and move the goalposts to try and make themselves look better
    Moving goalposts ?

*** looks at title of thread ***

*** looks at what Kefo wrote about indie teams with shoe string budgets ***

Have fun
  • kikoodutroa8kikoodutroa8 Member RarePosts: 565
    Guys I remember when I was in middle school, there was this girl who was always contradicting me, and things were such that it looked like we hated each others. Well with time we became good friends then lovers.
    It's all about love, guys.
    **snip**
    It's all about love, guys.
    And fun ;-)

Have fun
    kikoodutroa8
  • GrindcoreTHRALLGrindcoreTHRALL Member UncommonPosts: 303
    I wish Kefo would just provide the information supporting his claims. When you make bold claims and have no supporting information, it looks bad. Pick a better point to argue, one which you can provide details which support your point.
    Babuinix
    I wish Kefo would just provide the information supporting his claims. When you make bold claims and have no supporting information, it looks bad. Pick a better point to argue, one which you can provide details which support your point.
    I wish Erillion would just admit he screwed up like I first asked him to instead of him trying to move the goalposts and expect me to post information when he hasn’t answered my question first. 

Hey it’s fun to do this!

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    sgel said:
    Erillion said:
    Hashbrick said:

Have fun

Difference between a smart man and a wise man?  A smart man can get out of anything that a wise man wouldn't have gotten into in the first place.  A wise man learns from the mistakes others make so he doesn't make them himself.  :smile:

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

Kefo said:
    I wish Erillion would just admit he screwed up like I first asked him to instead of him trying to move the goalposts and expect me to post information when he hasn’t answered my question first. 

Hey it’s fun to do this!

>>> expect me to post information >>>

You made a claim. You better back up that claim with information.

I am sure those "indy studios on a shoestring budget" with full VR support in their "great games" have proclaimed their great ideas all over the internet and it will be a piece of cake for you to point out to us these great games and where we can find them. If these are space games, that would be even better. Did i mention that i like space games ? ;-)

As you have not done so for several days now makes me suspect that you are incapable of providing this information. Most likely because you just made up that claim on the spot ......

Have fun
    Erillion said:
    Kefo said:

Hey it’s fun to do this!

>>> expect me to post information >>>

You made a claim. You better back up that claim with information.

I am sure those "indy studios on a shoestring budget" with full VR support in their "great games" have proclaimed their great ideas all over the internet and it will be a piece of cake for you to point out to us these great games and where we can find them. If these are space games, that would be even better. Did i mention that i like space games ? ;-)

As you have not done so for several days now makes me suspect that you are incapable of providing this information. Most likely because you just made up that claim on the spot ......

Have fun
    I’m still waiting for you to point out where i had originally said space game in the post in question. Seeing as you haven’t done that or admitted you screwed up I feel no need to post any information if you can’t be bothered to do a simple thing. Something I’ve already stated multiple times. You’re also moving the goalposts and adding VR but I’m not surprised at any of this
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Divinity: Original Sin is one.

Shoe-string budget?  Check.

Lots of content?  Check.

Fun?  Check.  At least, if reviews are anything to go by.

Developed on a fraction of the time as SC?  Check.

Incoming rebuttals about how the scope of SC is so much bigger, dem epic graphics, etc., ironically and conveniently ignoring that all that scope and all those fancy-looking pixels are the very reason the game is so late and is eating so much money.
    MaxBacon