Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Big Changes Coming to Encourage Better Group Tactics & Responsive Combat - Elder Scrolls Online - MM

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited February 2018 in News & Features Discussion

imageBig Changes Coming to Encourage Better Group Tactics & Responsive Combat - Elder Scrolls Online - MMORPG.com

Elder Scrolls Online News - The Elder Scrolls Online site has been updated with a new blog post that lays out the details on big changes coming to the game with Update 17. These changes will be specifically targeted at players in groups to encourage better tactics. Players can look for significant changes coming to tactical maneuvering in Cyrodiil and for better tracking of synergies.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

josko9

Comments

• exile01exile01 Member RarePosts: 1,089
    *big changes" yawn.
    AlomarTokkenpantaroTheScavenger
  • fs23otmfs23otm Member RarePosts: 506
    Get rid of Animation canceling ... then we can talk
    Aeanderwinghaven1AlomarTokkenEponyxDamorpantaroTruvidien88infomatzmmorobokappei378and 3 others.
  • GreatswordGreatsword Member RarePosts: 354
    Clickbait title.

Still the same floaty, impactless combat with shitty animations.
    Nothing here, move along.
    josko9ValdheimMelissa-0
  • AlomarAlomar Member RarePosts: 1,299
    Too little too late to bring me or the dozens of friends and guildmates back. Maybe a re-skinned tiger on the cash shop?
    d_20Melissa-0
    Haxus Council Member
    21  year MMO veteran 
    PvP Raid Leader 
    Lover of The Witcher & CD Projekt Red
  • hallucigenocidehallucigenocide Member RarePosts: 1,015
    haven't played long enough to understand how these things will affect me but from what i've read it seems like quite an interesting update.  being able to block more sounds like a good thing but the aoe change and telegraph on casted stuff sounds a little worrisome to me. though i've yet to try out pvp in this game since i always want to go through the whole story before i do that so it'll be a couple of months more til then i guess :D

I had fun once, it was terrible.

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    Torval said:
    Those are good changes. The damage cap removal for zergballs is a good start.

It surprises me ANet can't accomplish the same thing in zerg vs zerg vs zerg. Then again they never really fixed culling either.
    To be honest, Guild Wars 2 is a 5 man team game. Anything beyond that, and it's just a visual and balance mess. Even I can fully admit that.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    edited February 2018
    Despite having spent quite a bit of time on the PTS this cycle I didn't get much of a chance to test any of these changes since the PTS was pretty dead and it was hard to find a group to see the off balance and synergy changes or enough people in Cyrodiil to see the uncapped AOE in action so I'll see them along with everyone else when they go live. 

The synergy changes in particular I'm looking forward to since in dungeons I always play, regardless of my role, up close and personal where the action (and synergies) is happening. Synergies have been a bit of a mess for quite a while with activation radii that were too brief and small and often bugged forcing you to press the synergy key repeatedly trying to activate them. Many players just plain gave up on trying to find and use them. Visual indicators and taking them off the GCD should be a big help there.

Not sure about calling the changes "big" -- that seems hyperbolic to me -- but they ARE changes.
    gervaise1infomatzMelissa-0
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• OldKingLogOldKingLog Member RarePosts: 564
    Iselin said:
    Despite having spent quite a bit of time on the PTS this cycle I didn't get much of a chance to test any of these changes since the PTS was pretty dead and it was hard to find a group to see the off balance and synergy changes or enough people in Cyrodiil to see the uncapped AOE in action so I'll see them along with everyone else when they go live. 

The synergy changes in particular I'm looking forward to since in dungeons I always play, regardless of my role, up close and personal where the action (and synergies) is happening. Synergies have been a bit of a mess for quite a while with activation radii that were too brief and small and often bugged forcing you to press the synergy key repeatedly trying to activate them. Many players just plain gave up on trying to find and use them. Visual indicators and taking them off the GCD should be a big help there.

Not sure about calling the changes "big" -- that seems hyperbolic to me -- but they ARE changes.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't most of these so called changes actually reverting tweaks they made to "improve combat" awhile back? It always seems like one step forward and two steps back for this development team.
    d_20pantaroAlomarMelissa-0
    Iselin said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't most of these so called changes actually reverting tweaks they made to "improve combat" awhile back? It always seems like one step forward and two steps back for this development team.
    The synergy change is something brand new. Synergies have (not) worked as they currently do on live exactly the same way since launch.

The AOE cap has gone through several iterations and frankly, I can't remember if they were ever fully uncapped. But if I were doing it I'd make it even more anti-zerg by actually increasing the damage based on how many people you hit with it.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878
    edited February 2018
    Iselin said:
    Iselin said:

The synergy change is something brand new. Synergies have (not) worked as they currently do on live exactly the same way since launch.

The AOE cap has gone through several iterations and frankly, I can't remember if they were ever fully uncapped. But if I were doing it I'd make it even more anti-zerg by actually increasing the damage based on how many people you hit with it.

The AOE cap happened because of Destro staff spamming and Vampire DKs with constant swarm up (and destro staff aoe spamming at the same time and like 5 of them all together). I hope those days don't come back. 
    Melissa-0

• TruplayaUBTruplayaUB Member UncommonPosts: 46
    The Fighting system and the Questing aka "run from one NPC to another NPC, to run to more NPCs"  was sooooo bad, i really started to like my old games i played before ....and i play warframe like hell atm :P :pensive:

So, if you dislike your game you played for months or want to have the experience what a real real bad mmo is .... be my guest and join the game with the name of another game .... which have nothing!!!! in common ....

and if you dont believe me .... get into the game .... and say in silent words .... "he was sooo god damn right" ....

sorry i am german, so i hope my english is good enough to show you the horror ... hiding behind a franchise ....
    gervaise1mgilbrtsnMelissa-0
    d_20 said:
    Iselin said:
    Iselin said:

The AOE cap happened because of Destro staff spamming and Vampire DKs with constant swarm up (and destro staff aoe spamming at the same time and like 5 of them all together). I hope those days don't come back. 
    AOE caps have gone back and forth long before the Destro ulti was even in the game just how coordinated bomb groups have always been a thing and will continue to be a thing because it's an effective tactic for voice coordinated groups. The AOE cap removal both helps (damage more enemies) and hurts (all of them will take damage when hit by a counter AOE) them since those groups rely on being stacked on crown.

The effect of the cap removal will be felt much more with the use of siege weapons and on choke points such as wall breaches. Bomber group vs. bomber group fights will likely be the same before and after. 

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    edited February 2018

Iselin said:

Iselin said:

Don't you think it will just make the coordinated destro balls even more OP?
    Melissa-0
    YashaX said:

Iselin said:

Iselin said:

Don't you think it will just make the coordinated destro balls even more OP?
    They mostly fight against other coordinated bomb groups... so whatever :) 

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    edited February 2018
    Torval said:
    Aeander said:
    Torval said:
    Those are good changes. The damage cap removal for zergballs is a good start.

It surprises me ANet can't accomplish the same thing in zerg vs zerg vs zerg. Then again they never really fixed culling either.
    To be honest, Guild Wars 2 is a 5 man team game. Anything beyond that, and it's just a visual and balance mess. Even I can fully admit that.
    WvW isn't billed as 5 man team game. If the game only works 5 v 5 then that sort of supports my point that ANet can't figure out WvW and zerging.

There are only 2 modern games that offer this right now: GW2 and ESO. Both could be in trouble in that regard if CU can pull off its goal, if it ever launches. GW2 and ESO might shutter from old age before that happens.

Anyway these are the types of changes that need to happen to put some pain into the zerg. ANet needs to make more impactful changes.
    You misunderstand me. I was supporting your point, not contradicting it. Large scale zerg gameplay is one of of my valid criticisms of the game.

But to address your further point, I don't think that a successful CU would be a threat to Guild Wars 2 just because of its implications on WvW. If WvW died outright, the game would probably survive just fine. WvW is the least popular, most neglected pillar of the game by far. It's been niche for most of the game's life cycle, and the only time it has seen mass popularity after the post-release falloff was when Edge of the Mists was a highly rewarding karma train. 

Guild Wars 2 has never been a realm vs. realm game. It tried and it failed. That's one of my great disappointments with the game, but most of the community has likely accepted that Guild Wars 2 is just not the game of choice for faction pvp.
  • kappei378kappei378 Member UncommonPosts: 9
    edited February 2018

fs23otm said:

Thats exactly what is holding a group of friends for playing this game.
    Post edited by kappei378 on
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    kappei378 said:

fs23otm said:

Thats exactly what is holding a group of friends for playing this game.
    This was always something that bothered me, albeit not that much.  I've played other games with animation canceling and enjoyed them like Blade and Soul but the animation canceling in ESO is like Blade and Soul animation canceling on crack.  If you're doing it to the optimal level it looks like your character is having an effing seizure which is a massive turn-off.

They need to at least reign it in so that there is a timing aspect to it instead of just ani canceling absolutely every action so that no animation ever completes.

I don't think it will ever change tbh, they've doubled down on it being a feature. 
    Melissa-0