Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Release the Kraken - Shroud of the Avatar Columns

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited February 2018 in News & Features Discussion

imageRelease the Kraken - Shroud of the Avatar Columns

Shroud of the Avatar developer Portalarium is charging hard at their release date, and Red Thomas made a run to Austin and sat down with the team to get caught up. Backers will still see the normal development pace right up to go-time, so Red explains some of what they should see over the next couple months.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,464
    When does the Kraken get released?
    --------------------------------------------
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,825
    I have heard a number of posters talking about the P2W side of the game. This seems to be about earning gold and a special currency.

What I have not figured out is how this is P2W, can gold help you level, get PvP boosts, etc? I understand lots of gold means you have good equipment, is that where the P2W lies?
    jason523
  • RolanStormRolanStorm Member UncommonPosts: 198
    Or it might be lies.

To be honest I am still fascinated how much negativity this game cause. Take simple forum RMT trade section. Everyone appaled by this. Really? So black RMT sites should earn a buck instead of clean trade on home forums? And yes, people buy and sell gold in online games. It is not like Garriot set up vendor with GoLdZ there. Simple transactions between players.

And that is trend for SotA. I am founder, but I never played much leaving it for a time when game will become stable (I think it is on or about now, so I am going there on release or a bit earlier). But some of those who play episodically demonstrate toxic behavior and preach about so many woes of SotA and insufferable R.G. And I would have believed them, I might - but problems is the very same people who acuse SotA and R.G. behave like complete ass to everyone else. So I'd rather see for myself what happens there than listen to people who trash this game.
  • LeFantomeLeFantome Member RarePosts: 691
    edited February 2018

Or it might be lies.

To be honest I am still fascinated how much negativity this game cause.

Just wait for the release. You'll see. All the hardcore players quit , long time ago. This is not the game they backed for. But as I said, just wait for the release and you will understand why the reviews are bad...
    jason523

• blamo2000blamo2000 Member RarePosts: 1,130

Scot said:

I have heard a number of posters talking about the P2W side of the game. This seems to be about earning gold and a special currency.

What I have not figured out is how this is P2W, can gold help you level, get PvP boosts, etc? I understand lots of gold means you have good equipment, is that where the P2W lies?

Unless the changed something from about 6 months ago, the only thing I found worth buying in the eshop was $5 purchase to upgrade bank slots. Everything else was useless cosmetics. There was a currency I got somehow that I could buy more of for some pots that boost some stuff, but they didn't do anything worth wasting money on. I couldn't even be bothered to spend the currency the game gave me on any of them.

And I do buy good stuff worth buying for games. My wife and I have got into a lot of fights from me going a little crazy on DDO when they have the XP gem boxes.

I have zero interest in buying houses or housing lots - or shit for fake houses or cosmetic items that change my characters appearance. If you are into houses and shit then the eshop is probably a money pit for you.

My biggest criticism of the game is they have whole cities that are just player houses and shops. People probably paid good money for that shit and I know I will never visit one in a million years. I find it hard to believe I am in the minority on this, so it just seems like very poor development having people pay real money for a town, house, and shop all the sane people who play the game will never even consider visiting. Its like ESO with no real AH. That retarded system caters to people even more awful than the actual gold sellers the system is supposed to protect against. I have no idea what people have against real, functional auction houses for sane people.
    Kyleranjason523Mitara
  • jason523jason523 Member UncommonPosts: 96
    People paid through the nose for these POTs and the devs turned around and made plots a cash shop only item. People will tell you "ohh you can buy them from players in game," what they won't tell you is how long you will be grinding boring content to even get close to affording one. They will tell you there is now an in game vendor that sells them and accepts CotOs, which are cash shop purchasable items. yes CotOs also drop in game, the chances in getting one to drop is so low. 85 hours of game time and I've never seen one drop.

The economy is manipulated by the devs as well to promote RMT and trade.

Made money off Richard Garriotts mothers death.

This is just the tip of the iceberg on the issues with this game and developer.
  • MitaraMitara Member UncommonPosts: 755
    I did have fun grinding, but not for long... The game is really poor. Especially the changing of areas. What were they thinking?
    jason523LeFantome
    jason523 said:
    People paid through the nose for these POTs and the devs turned around and made plots a cash shop only item. People will tell you "ohh you can buy them from players in game," what they won't tell you is how long you will be grinding boring content to even get close to affording one. They will tell you there is now an in game vendor that sells them and accepts CotOs, which are cash shop purchasable items. yes CotOs also drop in game, the chances in getting one to drop is so low. 85 hours of game time and I've never seen one drop.

I can see how the economy is P2W, but I can't see how that makes levelling or PvP a P2W concern? The other poster who replied mentioned boosting pots, I assume that is a physical item you drink? You used the term POTs and then the word plots, this is not the same thing is it? You don't get a boost for owning a plot of land?

As you can see if you ignore games in their early development you can be quite clueless about what's going on. :)

I liked the idea of player run cities, but I must say I was never a big housing fan, but some people will P2F - Pay to Furnish I guess!
  • blorpykinsblorpykins Member RarePosts: 466
    Launch is March 27, 2018
  • jason523jason523 Member UncommonPosts: 96

Scot said:

jason523 said:

I can see how the economy is P2W, but I can't see how that makes levelling or PvP a P2W concern? The other poster who replied mentioned boosting pots, I assume that is a physical item you drink? You used the term POTs and then the word plots, this is not the same thing is it? You don't get a boost for owning a plot of land?

As you can see if you ignore games in their early development you can be quite clueless about what's going on. :)

I liked the idea of player run cities, but I must say I was never a big housing fan, but some people will P2F - Pay to Furnish I guess!

You need a plot deed to place a house deed. Houses can be bought in game off NPC vendors. Plot deeds cannot be bought off NPC vendors, only in the cash shop or off a player. there are upkeep free vendors and plot deeds that forego the upkeep costs that are total P2W items.

POTs (Player owned Towns) majority of these are ghost towns because no one is playing.

Owning a house lets you forego many gold sinks and time investments in the game. Like I said if you are able to pay through the nose for a upkeep free vendor or plot, then you don't need to pay upkeep and thus save money. There are items that save you lots of time, like the cash shop home vault that lets you take items out of the bank without having to do any traveling. Not sure if this is still available.

Portalarium manipulates the market and thus the economy is totally company driven instead of player driven. Players can set prices but Portalarium makes changes behind the scenes that dictates the drops of items and therefore something might be common one day and suddenly be harder to get, driving the prices up.

The knights will come in and try to argue that all this is wrong. Yet when given links with proof, they suddenly vanish.

People that talk bad about the game have been harassed and threatened. It's been said we are paid off by the big MMOs because they are afraid of the success SotA will have when it releases. The moderator at the official forums has said that he wishes he could moderate all places where people talk bad about the game and the issue plaguing it. Talk about censorship.

The game has been persistent for over a year now. The majority of players that are interested have tried the game and left. Many of those that started at persistence have had such a headstart that it will be impossible to ever catch up to them. Mainly not because of time but because mechanics have changed in the game since that time that it's not possible. Many used exploits and botting to gain unfair advantages and were never punished because they were major players in keeping this game afloat. Try and PvP with any of these players even 2 years from now with constant playing and you'll never have a chance. They can solo all the content in the game.

People will flag PvP to get the exp buff, and complain when people steal from them or kill them. All items in the game have a real world cost, they get sour because they lost money when they themselves flagged for PvP. No one made them and they know full well the game mechanics and what PvP means. These are the whales of the game. Portalarium listens to them and have changed the mechanics several times to make things easier for them. Port has come out and said that if you don't give them money, they are not interested in you.

There are videos out there with the devs giving talks on how they work as a business and it's disgusting to listen to. There is a vid that the devs made when they were brainstorming the game. They didn't even have a plan. They just threw a Kickstarter up to make money because the company was in danger of going under. A Kickstarter that a game was pitched that is vastly different then the game we now have.

Look up the failed mobile game they had called Ultimate Collector and notice the similarities to SotA. Garriott was so into the idea of this crap game that he figured he could still use the premise and in doing so attract the fans he already had from the Ultima games if he said the game would be like those past Ultima games.

One of the devs has a published book on how to attract whales and take advantage of them. Dallas Snell is a dev on the game and he is a psychologist that helps Portalarium best use the game to milk whales.

The game is a cash grab that only exists to milk people of their money. Garriot even profited off the death of his dead mother.
    Hexipox
    jason523 said:

Scot said:

jason523 said:

You need a plot deed to place a house deed. Houses can be bought in game off NPC vendors. Plot deeds cannot be bought off NPC vendors, only in the cash shop or off a player. there are upkeep free vendors and plot deeds that forego the upkeep costs that are total P2W items.

POTs (Player owned Towns) majority of these are ghost towns because no one is playing.

Owning a house lets you forego many gold sinks and time investments in the game. Like I said if you are able to pay through the nose for a upkeep free vendor or plot, then you don't need to pay upkeep and thus save money. There are items that save you lots of time, like the cash shop home vault that lets you take items out of the bank without having to do any traveling. Not sure if this is still available.

Portalarium manipulates the market and thus the economy is totally company driven instead of player driven. Players can set prices but Portalarium makes changes behind the scenes that dictates the drops of items and therefore something might be common one day and suddenly be harder to get, driving the prices up.

The knights will come in and try to argue that all this is wrong. Yet when given links with proof, they suddenly vanish.

People that talk bad about the game have been harassed and threatened. It's been said we are paid off by the big MMOs because they are afraid of the success SotA will have when it releases. The moderator at the official forums has said that he wishes he could moderate all places where people talk bad about the game and the issue plaguing it. Talk about censorship.

The game has been persistent for over a year now. The majority of players that are interested have tried the game and left. Many of those that started at persistence have had such a headstart that it will be impossible to ever catch up to them. Mainly not because of time but because mechanics have changed in the game since that time that it's not possible. Many used exploits and botting to gain unfair advantages and were never punished because they were major players in keeping this game afloat. Try and PvP with any of these players even 2 years from now with constant playing and you'll never have a chance. They can solo all the content in the game.

People will flag PvP to get the exp buff, and complain when people steal from them or kill them. All items in the game have a real world cost, they get sour because they lost money when they themselves flagged for PvP. No one made them and they know full well the game mechanics and what PvP means. These are the whales of the game. Portalarium listens to them and have changed the mechanics several times to make things easier for them. Port has come out and said that if you don't give them money, they are not interested in you.

There are videos out there with the devs giving talks on how they work as a business and it's disgusting to listen to. There is a vid that the devs made when they were brainstorming the game. They didn't even have a plan. They just threw a Kickstarter up to make money because the company was in danger of going under. A Kickstarter that a game was pitched that is vastly different then the game we now have.

Look up the failed mobile game they had called Ultimate Collector and notice the similarities to SotA. Garriott was so into the idea of this crap game that he figured he could still use the premise and in doing so attract the fans he already had from the Ultima games if he said the game would be like those past Ultima games.

One of the devs has a published book on how to attract whales and take advantage of them. Dallas Snell is a dev on the game and he is a psychologist that helps Portalarium best use the game to milk whales.

The game is a cash grab that only exists to milk people of their money. Garriot even profited off the death of his dead mother.
    Well that's P2W for levelling, anything that allows faster travel is in my book. Also if you have so much gold I presume you can drink boosting pots constantly.

It seems on the low P2W scale though, compared to the cash shops we already have. But it they have set up big spenders so they have the golds reserves ready for when the cash shop becomes more P2W (and they all do, without exception).

We used to have designers and developers publishing books on game design, now they write about big spenders.

I will keep an open mind, but as always I never play before proper launch anyway and its upcoming "launch" is only a beta I think.
  • Darkstarr9Darkstarr9 Shroud of the AvatarMember UncommonPosts: 32
    Greetings everyone! This is Starr Long, Executive Producer on Shroud of the Avatar. Thank you so much for your interest in the project. We definitely want everyone to gather as much information about the project before making a purchase decision including trying the Free Trial. If you ever have any questions or concerns about our policies, project methodologies, game designs, etc. please feel free to post in our official forums or contact us directly at [email protected].

It is worth noting that we have been the target of an organized campaign for the last several years by a group of individuals who post on every website, review, social media, etc. that mentions or features the game. This group spreads misinformation, takes information out of context, presents incomplete information, etc. in an effort to damage the game and sway opinion against the project. So please use caution when viewing “facts” from certain sources.
    [Deleted User]LeFantome