Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Crytek Filing Lawsuit Against CIG

Comments

• KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    Babuinix said:
    Big week for CIG and CryTek. 
    Not really for CIG, maybe for CryTek...

For CIG getting another million $dollars is nothing by now, ok it's 178$million for a crowdfunded game, but when you look at the people behind it and the work they've put into it it's normal by now.

They showcase stuff that gamers want and gamers pledge because they like the direction the game is heading.

As for Crytek and their latest game, Hunt:Showdown I don't think it will set the world alight but looks cool nonetheless and might generate some sales but not enough to bring them to their former glory.

Seems like a dead end really, probably will suffer from the same fate as all the companies/developers that tried to get in Star Citizen's way and feed from it's success. Another escapist/smartist/goonist burial in the making.

Hope not, Crytek deservers better for Crysis and CryEngine alone. 
    Was a big week for CIG last week when it was discovered if the new website screwed up and didn’t load something properly it would put your username and password into the URL because it would default to GET instead of POST. Hope CIG decides to purge any logs or tell people to change their passwords since anyone who encountered this problem had their login details saved as plaintext somewhere lol

Will be a big week for CIG this week when their motion to dismiss will maybe be thrown out and it will goto discovery.
    Babuinix
  • BabuinixBabuinix Member EpicPosts: 4,265
    edited February 2018
    Kefo said:
    Babuinix said:

For CIG getting another million $dollars is nothing by now, ok it's 178$million for a crowdfunded game, but when you look at the people behind it and the work they've put into it it's normal by now.

They showcase stuff that gamers want and gamers pledge because they like the direction the game is heading.

As for Crytek and their latest game, Hunt:Showdown I don't think it will set the world alight but looks cool nonetheless and might generate some sales but not enough to bring them to their former glory.

Seems like a dead end really, probably will suffer from the same fate as all the companies/developers that tried to get in Star Citizen's way and feed from it's success. Another escapist/smartist/goonist burial in the making.

Was a big week for CIG last week when it was discovered if the new website screwed up and didn’t load something properly it would put your username and password into the URL because it would default to GET instead of POST. Hope CIG decides to purge any logs or tell people to change their passwords since anyone who encountered this problem had their login details saved as plaintext somewhere lol

Will be a big week for CIG this week when their motion to dismiss will maybe be thrown out and it will goto discovery.
    Hum the thing is "that "info" is irrelevant for a general gaming forum where gamers care about gaming.

Nonetheless I'm sure it will find it's usual niche supportive audience under the usual bridges (derek/goon/ed/screfunds forums).
    Post edited by Babuinix on
    Gdemami
  • TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    MaxBacon said:

On that specific case it just goes beyond trolling for me, it's something I never imagined I would witness and when I see those people here with those arguments about the "evil fans" or have no idea or pretend to how this have already went to the level some became consumed by hatred against a videogame, against the company itself or against Chris Roberts and his family.

The whole thing is utter nonsense,
    Max, you out of everyone here should understand a person standing up and defending his/her beliefs.  This person feels that the country they live in (UK) is giving tax payer money to CIG that CIG does not really qualify for.  Is it really the game they hate or large corporations that steal our tax dollars? 

I dont understand what the big deal is, if CIG is taken to court and found guilty, then they should be punished.  If CIG is the genuinely honest company that you portray them to be then you have nothing to worry about. 

I guess if I was in your shoes I would be worried too...

MaxBacon
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    MaxBacon said:
    That sounds interesting, do you have any source to back these claims? Both the propaganda campaigns and crowdfunded lawsuit sound particularly epic.
    Here. "This will be the straw that breaks the camels back, without that tax rebate the entire Star Citizen project collapses" ... "I'm just doing this to fuck CIG" ... "I also need help with the filing fees" (+$1000 USD).

Because just wishing SC to fail is not enough for some people, it's a level of hatred I've only seen before involving topics like religion and politics.
    Well I'm no youtube lawyer <snip>
    Obviously. A $1,000 would not be needed in the UK to trigger a law suit. Not to mention the fact that anyone who had a concern could (and should) report it to the police and/or the UK Inland Revenue.

So I think I will file this crowd funding campaign in the same category as the "buy the Marvel IP" one.
    Babuinix said:
    Kefo said:
    Babuinix said:

Hum the thing is "that "info" is irrelevant for a general gaming forum where gamers care about gaming.

Nonetheless I'm sure it will find it's usual niche supportive audience under the usual bridges (derek/goon/ed/screfunds forums).
    It’s irrelevent how exactly? People reuse passwords all the time and Turbulent making a rookie mistake like that where user/pass is saved as plaintext should have gotten a email to backers to change their passwords.

But dismiss anything that isn’t praise right?
    Babuinix
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    edited February 2018
    Talonsin said:
    Max, you out of everyone here should understand a person standing up and defending his/her beliefs.  This person feels that the country they live in (UK) is giving tax payer money to CIG that CIG does not really qualify for.  Is it really the game they hate or large corporations that steal our tax dollars? 

I dont understand what the big deal is, if CIG is taken to court and found guilty, then they should be punished.  If CIG is the genuinely honest company that you portray them to be then you have nothing to worry about. 

I guess if I was in your shoes I would be worried too...
    This is not about beliefs, the motivation is harming CIG, the intent is clear, the tax grant is just the method they are trying to use to reach the goal, only someone delusional will come up with the excuse this is about the grant and not about ways to meet one end (such amazingly good samaritans putting up 1k$ to pursue this suuure thing :p). It's not about being worried about anything in my side, if anything he scammed people out of their money to pursue his delusional mission to "fuck CIG".

What is amazing to see not only does he have faith that he will succeed (and he got called out on his BS even on the echo chamber that place is), he is sure that his quest is what will make Star Citizen collapse. Gotta have faith on that one!

I think CIG subtly trolled them with some comments in that live stream with the SQ42 composer, I forgot the link hm

.edit found it: https://youtu.be/fS6FpCpt5m4?t=4m53s Using the composer Geoff Zanelli to deliver the bit about money-laundry subplot lol "I wanted to make sure there was paperwork theme, because I know a lot of people care deeply about tax returns"
    BabuinixZandogAsm0deusGdemami
  • RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    Has a winner been declared yet?
    edited February 2018
    Talonsin said:
    MaxBacon said:

On that specific case it just goes beyond trolling for me, it's something I never imagined I would witness and when I see those people here with those arguments about the "evil fans" or have no idea or pretend to how this have already went to the level some became consumed by hatred against a videogame, against the company itself or against Chris Roberts and his family.

The whole thing is utter nonsense,
    Max, you out of everyone here should understand a person standing up and defending his/her beliefs.  This person feels that the country they live in (UK) is giving tax payer money to CIG that CIG does not really qualify for.
    You would need a very oblivious individual or group of people to believe that CIG is not entitled to an UK Tax relief: http://www.bfi.org.uk/film-industry/british-certification-tax-relief/about-tax-relief

On the other hand these are the same folks that criticize CIG and Chris Roberts for doing several mocap sessions in a notorious UK mocap studio with several High profile UK actors, opening an studio abroad (UK) and hiring 230+ UK Staff spending so much time and £ on motion capture (done in UK with UK actors)... So in a way it's seems plausible that such individuals can't grasp what makes Star Citizen/Squadron42 illegible to said UK tax reliefs...

But hey CIG and Star Citizen need to be hurt financially for their "90 days total collapse" dream to be fulfilled so anything goes really :D
    Post edited by Babuinix on
    Gdemami
    edited February 2018
    Babuinix said:
    You would need a very oblivious individual or group of people to believe that CIG is not entitled to an UK Tax relief: http://www.bfi.org.uk/film-industry/british-certification-tax-relief/about-tax-relief
    Yeah manipulating basic straightforward information about it, like FQ42 UK alone is over 50% of the total global headcount of the company, things lacking mention like the surely big investment they did on motion capture in the UK (even opened one new office dedicated to it there), you can twist around any information you want to make any argument possible that for sure, but some things are just cashing in on the lack of knowledge of who he was asking for money, others called it out.
    GdemamiMisatoTremor
    edited February 2018
    Nah they are just trying to relieve some of the pain with the usual nonsense. Doesn't seem to be working very well.
  • adamlotus75adamlotus75 Member UncommonPosts: 387
    CIG are waiting to see if the motion to dismiss is approved, and if it doesnt they will settle as they dont want discovery to happen under any circumstances.
  • ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,396
    CIG are waiting to see if the motion to dismiss is approved, and if it doesnt they will settle as they dont want discovery to happen under any circumstances.
    That's my take on it too. 

They have 20+ companies set up under the big umbrella.  Maybe it's just convenience....

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    edited February 2018
    https://www.pacermonitor.com/public/case/23222744/Crytek_GmbH_v_Cloud_Imperium_Games_Corp_et_al

"
    (IN CHAMBERS) ORDER by Judge Dolly M. Gee: The Court finds that Defendant's Motion to Dismiss the First Amended Complaint or Claims for Relief Therein or, in the Alternative, for a More Definite Statement and to Strike Certain Portions of the First Amended Complaint (FRCP 12(B)(6), 12(E) & 12(f))19 presently scheduled for hearing on February 9, 2018, is appropriate for decision without oral argument. Fed. R. Civ. P. 78(b); C.D. L.R. 7-15. Accordingly, the motion is taken UNDER SUBMISSION and the hearing is vacated. IT IS SO ORDERED. THERE IS NO PDF DOCUMENT ASSOCIATED WITH THIS ENTRY. (kti) TEXT ONLY ENTRY
    "

Far as I can tell and from reading and asking around, this is basically the judge saying she has all she needs to decide on the MTD and thus doesn't need to hold a hearing.  IE, "I've heard enough already. I'm going to make my decision." (as further proof of this, there allegedly isn't a hearing scheduled for tomorrow anymore from what others are saying on various reddits and forums)

To not even bother with hearing any further arguments from both sides means she must be really set in her decision.  Which I imagine also probably means either "CiG are complete idiots" or "Crytek are complete idiots".

Some people say this means the decision has a 90 day deadline while others say it's still supposed to come tomorrow, hearing or not. I'm fuzzy on the legal rules around that. Hopefully the latter but I wouldn't put it past the legal system to take so friggin' long.
    ErillionMadFrenchieOctagon7711VrikaZandogAsm0deusGdemami
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    edited February 2018
    Tiamat64 said:

To not even bother with hearing any further arguments from both sides means she must be really set in her decision.  Which I imagine also probably means either "CiG are complete idiots" or "Crytek are complete idiots".
    It would be Crytek is complete idiots if the case gets dismissed, but neither party is an idiot if the case isn't dismissed. Not dismissing just means there's enough case that it needs the court procedure instead of the much shorter motion to dismiss procedure.

edited February 2018
    Vrika said:
    Tiamat64 said:

It would be Crytek is complete idiots if the case gets dismissed, but neither party is an idiot if the case isn't dismissed. Not dismissing just means there's enough case that it needs the court procedure instead of the much shorter motion to dismiss procedure.

Yea, I mixed up CiG's beliefs (not that I actually know those beliefs) with the beliefs of various Star Citizen defenders (not necessarily from this forum, specifically) who said that CiG's motion to dismiss was a "slam dunk" for CiG.  Whether or not CiG actually believes their motion to dismiss is a shoe-in is unknown (heck, like I said several times earlier, at this point considering how often CiG's last reply stated "We can prove it if it goes to court!", I think their legal firm FFKS at the very least has given up on the motion to dismiss, so the judge denying it would basically be what they already know)
    Gdemami
    edited February 2018
    I'll leave it to a proper lawyer explain what it means in terms of timelines, if the judge has to deliver a decision tomorrow or if this has a legal timeframe for the judge that could be of up to months as said.

Also how the motion will actually work, if the judge has to either accept the entire motion and dismiss the whole case or not, or if one or more arguments on the motion can be accepted by the judge and dismissed while still going to court on other points.

Those talking about 90 days for a decision really puts a new meaning on that one haha :D
    Gdemami
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    Gruug said:
    One, we do not know what the contractual agreement was between Star Citizen and Crytech. There could have been a clause in their contract that stated that Star Citizen had the right to replace the engine at any time if it was deemed needed to develop the game. The game is still in development and changing engines is not an uncommon practice. I would suggest that Crytech's money problems are starting to make them just a bit over reaching in an attempt to save themselves.

Is that still true? Have the contractual documents been shared with court and if yes, are they public record? 

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

edited February 2018
    Montoya with the updates: & Followed by: Leonard French talks about CIG vs Crytek in the first minutes

Gdemami
    Babuinix said:
    Montoya with the updates: & Followed by: Leonard French talks about CIG vs Crytek in the first minutes

Oh the idiot who thought the judge would give her ruling the very next day? Yeah who actually listens to him lol
    Babuinix
    Kefo said:
    Oh the idiot who thought the judge would give her ruling the very next day? Yeah who actually listens to him lol
    Well there's folks who thought the lawsuit would break CIG and make Star Citizen collapse so there's plenty of idiocy going around to spare...
    Zandog
    Babuinix said:
    Kefo said:
    Well there's folks who thought the lawsuit would break CIG and make Star Citizen collapse so there's plenty of idiocy going around to spare...
    Huh we actually agree on something
    Babuinix
    edited February 2018
    Crytek has submitted a discovery plan.

https://www.docdroid.net/uMDHWEY/discovery-plan.pdf

July 16 2019 for trial date.  That's over a year, but par for the course apparently. The wheels of the law turn slowly.  Although Star Citizen most likely won't be out by then anyways.

CiG's responses include that Crytek has yet to give them a dollar amount to settle on.  But that too makes sense because Crytek wouldn't want to settle on a dollar amount without discovery first to determine how much they should get

Kefo said:
    Babuinix said:
    Kefo said:
    Huh we actually agree on something

Not sure why he's saying that in the past tense.  The trial hasn't even started yet so there's always a chance those "idiots" can turn out to be right.

Not like we'll see the results for over another entire year though alas, but we will eventually so I've stopped really arguing much about it.  It's not like it'll change the result.

It’s interesting that they are requesting this when the court hasn’t ruled on the motion to dismiss. Perhaps Crytek wants to get the ball rolling in anticipation of a judgement in their favour?
    Babuinix
    edited February 2018
    Kefo said:
    It’s interesting that they are requesting this when the court hasn’t ruled on the motion to dismiss. Perhaps Crytek wants to get the ball rolling in anticipation of a judgement in their favour?

From reading about it more from various forums, apparently discovery schedules are jointly agreed on between both sides and it just happened to be Crytek that was the one who is filing it.

And also that making discovery schedules even before an MTD is decided on is typical procedure.

Thus, in the end, all that one can really take from this is the estimated/requested court date from both parties (again, apparently this discovery thing was jointly agreed on) and whatever one wishes to infer from some of the banter.

Of particular interest, IMHO, being that CiG is asking for settlement amounts and Crytek isn't giving them, though there are a few other moments there that are funny like CiG's rant about Crytek on page 4 which seems ripped from the forum wars.

This discussion has been closed.