Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Miners make it harder to find budget video cards

1235»

Comments

• HairysunHairysun Member UncommonPosts: 1,059

Senate panel looks at Bitcoin, regulating block chain virtual currency

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXDPr7yJhcA

Pretty interesting if it's your sort of thing and have a couple hours to kill.  From the surprisingly well informed to the truly clueless. 

Regardless, there is "something" going on with crypto and blockchain.  Some see it and many do not.  Good, bad, history changing or a FOTY that will burn out into nothingness is all to be determined at this point.  I hear it's the "DotCom Bubble all over again" quite a bit.  Perhaps that is so and many of these coins/companies will turn out to be like AOL and MySpace ...... gone. 

Do not however forget about Google, Apple, Amazon or any other company that came out of the "DotCom Bubble" and are what they are today. 

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    This is just a thought but if cards become so expensive then normal players like me (thankfully I got my 1070 GTX last year before the price hike) will simply not upgrade. This in turn will affect the number of people who can take full advantage of the high end graphic games that come out and reduce the number of people buying those games. Won't this adversely affect the gaming for PC as far as the number of players able to play those games that require better video cards. I really don't see any upside to this except the slow deterioration of our choices as players.
    Chamber of Chains
  • xmentyxmenty Member UncommonPosts: 718
    A lot of people will move to console gaming If they do not bring down the GPU and ram price.  The rest of the companies that produce other PC parts will have no sales cos nobody want to upgrade their PC.

Pardon my English as it is not my 1st language :)

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Ozmodan said:
    Buy a 1080, prices still close to $500 and not really a good mining card.
    https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=gtx+1080&ignorear=0&N=-1&isNodeId=1

newegg says hi, both TI and standard over $1k

That is complete nonsense, I just bought one at Microcenter for $550 and they had a bunch of them.  I buy locally instead of being ripped off by Newegg!
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Quizzical said:
    Renoaku said:
    Ozmodan said:
    1080 suck get a 1080ti they were only $800 that $300 more goes a long ways.
    That you say that a video card is "only" $800 illustrates the problem.  Especially when the cheapest one on New Egg is currently $1249.

Microcenter had 1080ti's for $799, Newegg is a complete rip off!

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    Ozmodan said:
    Ozmodan said:
    https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=gtx+1080&ignorear=0&N=-1&isNodeId=1

newegg says hi, both TI and standard over $1k

That is complete nonsense, I just bought one at Microcenter for $550 and they had a bunch of them.  I buy locally instead of being ripped off by Newegg!
    Nearest Microcenter is 450mi away ...
  • CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    Bad news Vega Frontier Edition is finally out of stock everywhere for MSRP. Can only get it at marked up prices. On Newegg they are selling 6 packs for $9k. Up until the end of January, you could find it for $100 under MSRP, and with the correct drivers offers pretty good performance.
  • iNeokiiNeoki Member UncommonPosts: 353
    I was able to buy a new EVGA 1080 Ti No probs from their website, but elite status makes it somewhat easier as I've been a longtime EVGA customer.

TwitchTV: iNeoki

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348
    bestever said:
    Nvidia does much better with Equihash algorithm. Zcash is the big one for nvidia. AMD is also good for Cryptoknight especially Vega. 
    Zcash has about 2% of the market value of Ethereum.  That isn't driving mass GPU purchases.

I'm skeptical about Equihash being a good basis for a cryptocurrency.  The algorithm looks awkward to optimize, and the proper optimizations would vary considerably by hardware.  Never mind Nvidia versus AMD; if you had the best possible optimizations for a GeForce GTX 1060, GTX 1080, and GTX 1080 Ti, the code for each could easily be quite different from each other.  That's going to make mining heavily dependent on how well you can optimize complicated GPU code, which isn't what most cryptocurrencies are aiming for.

If the claims that it fares better on Nvidia than AMD are accurate and not just an artifact of the code being optimized for Nvidia GPUs rather than AMD, the only plausible cause of that that I can see is a heavy reliance on L2 cache performance.  That might well be what's going on, but if it is, I'd call that a rather spectacular failure of a way to make a memory-hard algorithm.  And if that's the case, then unlike Ethereum, you absolutely could build an ASIC for it that would blow away GPUs.
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    edited February 2018
    So I forgot that I had auto restock notification on for some Nvidia founders cards. Got an email at 10:00AM about a restock notification, checked it at 11:30AM, all sold out. Not that I need one anymore, but that's just crazy.
    [Deleted User]
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,178
    Torval said:
    Tiller said:
    So I forgot that I had auto restock notification on for some Nvidia founders cards. Got an email at 10:00AM about a restock notification, checked it at 11:30AM, all sold out. Not that I need one anymore, but that's just crazy.
    Missing out because you're in a meeting or at lunch. The need to be connected constantly in order to succeed at getting a card at a reasonable price is nuts. Same thought I had with the guy who is an elite evga customer. If you need to be an elite customer to get a product, then something is very wrong. Just having the cash used to be good enough and we're not sure what to do in a world that doesn't work like that anymore. I know I'm not sure.
    I think this is kind of why B&M stores should still be around for the long run.  I bought my 1060 quite a while ago at a Frys electronics, and while it's not the card I wanted because they didn't have the one I wanted in stock, it was way way cheaper in store than it was online.  Even now it'll be cheaper to buy a second 1060 locally then to buy a 1080, and the performance will be more than comparable. 

Online you're just subject to people faster at the click or buying quick and reselling to make a buck.  You see it all the time now, it's a shame. 
    [Deleted User]