Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Investigation into Paragon Institute Raises More Than a Few Red Flags - Marvel Heroes Omega - MMORPG

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited February 2018 in News & Features Discussion

Investigation into Paragon Institute Raises More Than a Few Red Flags - Marvel Heroes Omega - MMORPG.com

Marvel Heroes Omega News - Remember Paragon Institute and it's IndieGoGo campaign called Marvel Heroes Rebirth? You may recall its hope to talk Disney in to buying up the assets from the now-closed Marvel Heroes Online? If so, you'll be fascinated to read MMOFallout's discovery when trying to track down the Institute and its owner. While nothing outright fraudulent appears to be going on, the writer believes that there are more than a few red flags raised with regard to the "Institute" itself, as well as the credentials of its founder.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    #IceAgeWasRight

Good job MMORPG for reporting this scam.
    darkhearts
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003
    BruceYee said:
    #IceAgeWasRight

What was he right about? Trying to protect the children? I suppose no one thought of the children.

Oh wait, this project hasn't left the $300 range for donations. I guess most people didn't need his protection.
    darkheartsSBFordmaskedweasel[Deleted User]cjmarshwingoodinfomatzMrMelGibsonBillMurphySamhael
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    edited February 2018
    BruceYee said:
    #IceAgeWasRight

Hey look! It's another news STORY and INFORMATION about a game that people used to play and might be interested to read about! 

Information is power and the intelligence of our readers proves that they absolutely understood what this "project" was. Kudos to our discerning readers. :) You always amaze me. :)
    maskedweasel[Deleted User]AeanderConstantineMerusMrMelGibsonKonfesssschruppMabushii

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• DijonCyanideDijonCyanide Member UncommonPosts: 586
    I won't call it a scam or a fraud ... yet ... but that is only because simply not enough details are known at this time. However, it is good that people, mmo.rpg, with a concern for good gaming researches & creates articles conveying such information to possibly warn the community! "Knowing is half the battle."
    SBFord
  • frostymugfrostymug Member RarePosts: 645
    Torval said:
    SBFord said:
    BruceYee said:
    #IceAgeWasRight

Hey look! It's another news STORY and INFORMATION about a game that people used to play and might be interested to read about! 

Information is power and the intelligence of our readers proves that they absolutely understood what this "project" was. Kudos to our discerning readers. :) You always amaze me. :)
    So let me get this straight. You supply facts and information and then I have to use critical thinking skills to formulate my own sound judgement? Why are you guy forcing me to grind and do stuff? Shouldn't you be telling me what to think? :lol:
    You're a gnome. You got this.
    [Deleted User]SBFordwingoodMrMelGibsonBlaze_Rocker
  • IbjaIbja Member UncommonPosts: 25
    Well, I wish that SBFord took the legitimate criticisms of the MMORPG readers more to heart sometimes (I have never, in following this website for years, seen her not get extremely defensive when anyone questions the reporting or morality of stories here, often just insulting the posters intelligence by talking down to them rather than trying to explain her position or reasoning) I am glad that MMORPG decided to unveil this as a scam.

It's incredible that providing information means that there is no need for the reporter to investigate, read further, look at the information you are presenting and decide whether what you are doing is right. Just read anything and put it up on the feed, I suppose. If MMORPG wants to take a loose definition of news and take no responsibility for what is posted or how the information might be construed, then at least it's good to know that when reading the "news" here now.
    Mange1
  • IbjaIbja Member UncommonPosts: 25

Torval said:

Ibja said:

Well, I wish that SBFord took the legitimate criticisms of the MMORPG readers more to heart sometimes (I have never, in following this website for years, seen her not get extremely defensive when anyone questions the reporting or morality of stories here, often just insulting the posters intelligence by talking down to them rather than trying to explain her position or reasoning) I am glad that MMORPG decided to unveil this as a scam.

It's incredible that providing information means that there is no need for the reporter to investigate, read further, look at the information you are presenting and decide whether what you are doing is right. Just read anything and put it up on the feed, I suppose. If MMORPG wants to take a loose definition of news and take no responsibility for what is posted or how the information might be construed, then at least it's good to know that when reading the "news" here now.

That would be an investigative editorial and not a news event story. They reported on a critical editorial. It's never good enough for some people. Always with their edgy pithy sleights disguised as the voice of reason.

Okay, so if its a news event story, and a section of readers say that they think this is a scam and shouldn't be reported as simply a "news event" the answer is to talk down to them in the most condescending way possible?
    Blaze_Rocker
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    The most concerning thing to me about the MMO Fallout article is the mention of a movement to revert a game to public domain when it shuts down.  That's put my mind on overdrive.  At the very worst, it's an attempt to circumvent laws governing Intellectual Property.  I wonder how the music industry is going to react if that law comes to pass.  And Lucas Arts is going to go ballistic at the idea of putting the Star Wars IP into the public domain (via Star Wars Galaxies, which is a perfect example of what the base law seems to be attacking, i.e., no longer operating video games).  Someone give George a poke and let him know this kind of stuff is in the works.  Oh, and Disney now owns Marvel, so this law would also put the Marvel IPs into public domain, too.

If I had money, I'd bet on Lucas and Disney keeping their money.  And possibly mine.

SBFord

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    I still think the campaign should be removed.
    SBFordwingood
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,120
    Well, thanks to #MMOFallout's , which happens to be exactly what mmorpg.com is : News, Reviews, And More On All of Your Favorite Massively Multiplayer Online Games , yet, they did their job.

#GG
    Ibja

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

• IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,120

Torval said:

Ibja said:

That would be an investigative editorial and not a news event story. They reported on a critical editorial. It's never good enough for some people. Always with their edgy pithy sleights disguised as the voice of reason.

C o m e o n!! The one who report the News is held responsible for the authenticity of the News. mmorpg.com didn't quote another News site ( like they did here ). They reported directly from the source. That is the problem. But hey! Is like you want this site to throw any shit of "News".
    mmrv

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,309
    Props to the guy for getting a couple of family members to seed the pot.
    SBFordMrMelGibsonSamhael

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    edited February 2018

I won't call it a scam or a fraud ... yet ... but that is only because simply not enough details are known at this time. However, it is good that people, mmo.rpg, with a concern for good gaming researches & creates articles conveying such information to possibly warn the community! "Knowing is half the battle."

I think I pretty much did yesterday. And asked the question what did Indigogo do.

Oh wait here is the Indigogo Trust & Safety statement:

We have safeguards in place
    Your trust in Indiegogo is important. We do our best to ensure you have a positive and safe experience with Indiegogo. Our experienced Trust & Safety team is as passionate about innovation as our community is, and we’re dedicated to making sure that we do everything we can to prevent fraud on the platform so that we can keep you safe. This includes both automated and manual reviews of campaigns, and working closely with payment leaders to ensure your funds are processed securely and efficiently. We also have round-the-clock monitoring to protect the information we collect online and prevent unauthorized access.

Our team also investigates real-time feedback and concerns from our community and partners. We hold our campaign owners accountable, from verifying the identity information they provide to making sure they communicate frequently with their backers. Indiegogo does not tolerate abuse of our system and takes appropriate action when necessary to maintain the integrity of our platform.

Well ... if this passed the automated and manual reviews of campaigns .... it doesn't say much about their reviewe process.
  • maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    IceAge said:
    Well, thanks to #MMOFallout's , which happens to be exactly what mmorpg.com is : News, Reviews, And More On All of Your Favorite Massively Multiplayer Online Games , yet, they did their job.

#GG
    You mean MMO Fallout that has a specific section for "Crowdfunding Fraudsters"?  You mean like, most of their articles on the front page have to do with said fraudsters and gaming mishaps and investigations?

MMORPG did their job. They reported the news and more information as it became available. 

It's still news, the original news article is still correct, and some people (primarily, you) need to deal with it.  Fraud or not, it doesn't invalidate that it is news, that people are responsible for their actions and their wallets, and that posting of any news isn't an endorsement of whatever it is the story is on. 

It's like some people have never read the news before, lol. 

News Policeman might be something an orange clown might come up with, but it is not, as of yet, a current occupation. You win no points for trying to shout down an unbiased piece of informative news. 
    GruntySadfistwingoodStjerneoddSiphaedk61977Mabushii

• Dr_ShivinskiDr_Shivinski Member UncommonPosts: 311
    Who would have guess that the best piece of investigative journalism to come out in the last decade would be on MMORPG.com? It might not be a political bombshell piece or anything, but I appreciate the neutral stance and "just give the facts" attitude behind it.

Thank you, SBFord, for reminding me that real journalism is still alive somewhere.

Oh and fuck the haters. They just gonna hate.
    maskedweaselwingood
  • OmaliOmali MMO Business CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,177

Mendel said:

The most concerning thing to me about the MMO Fallout article is the mention of a movement to revert a game to public domain when it shuts down.  That's put my mind on overdrive. 

I want to address this bit because I think there is an important distinction here.

The legislation that I quote in the article and that the company is talking about is unrelated to public domain. Parts of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act deal with criminalizing the circumvention of copyright protection tools, for instance bypassing a key check or server authentication. For a long time, this meant that if a company shut its authentication servers down, customers were out of luck.

A few years back, the DMCA rules were changed to exempt defunct video games. This doesn't put the games in the public domain or relinquish the company's ownership of them, it offers limited legal protection to people cracking games that have been rendered unplayable due to, for instance, CD authentication servers no longer being online. This exemption only extended to single player games, did not cover online servers, and there has been a push to expand that exemption to allow for entities to bypass restrictions and bring online servers for defunct online games and MMOs.

It doesn't revoke ownership of said property, but it essentially allows for protection regarding products that the rights holder has shown no interest in supporting (and thus would have no damages to claim), or is no longer around to support. To put it in perspective for Marvel Heroes for example, if this exemption gets pushed through a group would be protected should they decide to create a Marvel Heroes private server. This would not, however, give them the rights to develop new content or profit off of said game.

The instance about public domain in my piece was a backup plan noted in the Indiegogo Campaign that if the attempt to secure the Marvel license fell through, that the Marvel licensed heroes would be replaced by old characters that are already in the Public Domain and thus could be added without licensing issues.
    MadFrenchie

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    I'm not sure I've ever called out the contributors here for news pieces or editorial opinions. But in this case, i think they should have done some digging before linking the crowdfunding site, especially with it being "flexible" meaning that some people from here could have contributed without having the necessary facts.

I don't feel that they properly served the readers here and were a bit lazy to blindly link it.
    mmrvIceAgeBlaze_Rocker
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    edited February 2018

Who would have guess that the best piece of investigative journalism to come out in the last decade would be on MMORPG.com? It might not be a political bombshell piece or anything, but I appreciate the neutral stance and "just give the facts" attitude behind it.

Thank you, SBFord, for reminding me that real journalism is still alive somewhere.

Not to rain on your parade but it actually came from MMOBomb
    and MMOFallout. MMORPG.com reported on it here since most of us missed those sites.
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    edited February 2018
    I can't believe some of these comments are happening. It's amazing in the information era--where you can google, read and learn about almost anything--not only we have trouble understanding concepts and definitions, but we insist on our mistakes as well. 

As a friend once said it best; ignorance is the choice not to know. 
    [Deleted User]maskedweaselinfomatzMrMelGibson
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • mmrvmmrv Member RarePosts: 305

SBFord said:

BruceYee said:

#IceAgeWasRight

Hold on now for a moment, was it not your website that directed your viewers to this scam gofundme in the first place (without doing your due diligence to verify it was legit)?? Kind of shocked how you are washing your hands of this bungle to be honest. I just hope none of your patrons donated to this before some other website did the homework for you...You really should do a little more investigating before you direct your viewers to scam gofundme's.

except mmorpg didn't, infact they were irresponsible in directing their viewers in the first place without doing their own due diligence as a news site, you know information and all...its funny apparently everyone else is supposed to do their homework and fact check stuff EXCEPT this news website who publishes the "information"
    FrodoFraginsIceAge

Torval said:

Ibja said:

uhm WRONG, there is an intrinsic responsibility that is part of providing news "to verify its actual real information". that is what news actually means its real verified unbiased facts or that is what it was supposed to mean before liberals hijacked the industry and turned it into a propaganda machine. Good try though lol.
    IceAge
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Wait a second, why should mmorpg.com babysit its readers? They report what is out there. Readers can, and should, make up their own mind. I don't blindly believe everything the news tell me, especially from countries where channels are politically colored. 

We want independant, non judgemental reporting and that is exactly what we got. I am all in favor of it.

Also, it isn't a scam until proven, even though it looks like it.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    maskedweaselBillMurphyFrodoFraginsk61977rojoArcueidMabushii
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    mmrv said:

except mmorpg didn't, infact they were irresponsible in directing their viewers in the first place without doing their own due diligence as a news site, you know information and all...its funny apparently everyone else is supposed to do their homework and fact check stuff EXCEPT this news website who publishes the "information"
     Nah, it wasn't their fault, they didn't direct their "viewers" to anything other than telling them that there was a project.  I guess you must have backed it seeing how any rational person does their own due diligence before backing any project, but it seems so many here require news stories to tell them everything immediately for fear they'll obviously spend their money on said project.

Here's another newsflash for you, kickstarters start every single day. I guess you backed all of those that were reported on too right? 

The audacity to give people information and expect them to just have the information instead of expecting them to throw their money at projects.  

The worst part is, the first post was factual and accurate, it's just a shame that there are people out there that need every piece of information spoonfed to them immediately for fear their little butts might get wet from their tears if they make a poor decision and back the wrong thing. 
    ConstantineMerusk61977Mabushii

• frostymugfrostymug Member RarePosts: 645
    mmrv said:

uhm WRONG, there is an intrinsic responsibility that is part of providing news "to verify its actual real information". that is what news actually means its real verified unbiased facts or that is what it was supposed to mean before liberals hijacked the industry and turned it into a propaganda machine. Good try though lol.
    There is something deeply entertaining in you calling the news a liberal propaganda machine in a thread where you are arguing against people being able to do their own due diligence and make their own decision on a neutral information piece.
    maskedweaselMrMelGibsonConstantineMerusSBFordIselinbarasawasschruppk61977MadFrenchieMabushii