Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World of Warcraft - Thoughts About Allied 'Races' & Intro Scenarios - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited February 2018 in News & Features Discussion

imageWorld of Warcraft - Thoughts About Allied 'Races' & Intro Scenarios - MMORPG.com

Pre-ordering Battle for Azeroth came with an “unexpected” surprise of being able to complete the 4 introductory scenarios that admitted the Allied races to their new respective faction. For the players who match the requirements, this allowed them to create characters of those new races which start at level 20. We have a few thoughts on those scenarios and what they might be missing, so sit back and enjoy.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• kinidokinido Member UncommonPosts: 429
    I enjoy the first set of races ... I am even more excited for Dark Iron Dwarves & Zanadalari ... but, from people doing their datamine thing of Alpha .. If Alliance get stuck with the Vulpera as a race, all I know is I am riding the transfer train to the Horde!
    pantaro

PS - All mammals have nipples.

Get over it already.

• KalebGraysonKalebGrayson Member RarePosts: 430
    edited February 2018
    My impression about the Void Elves was that they were exiled from the Blood Elves and the Horde for their research into the void. They didn't betray their faction, they were kicked out. The alliance accepted them through Alleria. Having unlocked all four races for myself, the things that stuck out to me were T'Paartos!!!! and Sylvanus is a b**ch! "By the time dessert is served, I want their oath of loyalty to the Horde." and/or "Do not return until Suramar's strength is pledged to the Horde." Do not return huh? Yeah, uh such an inspiring leader. Also - rumor is the Vulpera have the coding ID for Horde.
    Dragnelus[Deleted User]
  • seldinseldin Member UncommonPosts: 196
    I wish they make an option to be able to preorder a physical copy and get the ability to gain the allied races now. Be nice if they could add a preorder code, I like to be able to use my 20% discount
  • DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503
    Was just reading some lore

Alleria Windrunner:

Though they were successful in repelling the Horde invasion, it came at a terrible cost: eighteen of her kin, including her younger brother, Lirath, were killed. Devastated, Alleria sought comfort in the arms of Turalyon (eventually becoming pregnant with Arator), but ultimately, she chose to dedicate herself to revenge.

The Alliance reacted quickly to the renewed threat and sent an expedition through the portal to Draenor. Having achieved the rank of captain, Alleria was part of the expedition.

https://wow.gamepedia.com/Alleria_Windrunner

Sylvana just an undead lover once she became undead.

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    edited February 2018
    All of the Windrunners lost 18 family members. Sylvanus was raised from the dead against her will and even tried to kill herself to escape that fate. Alleria never bothers, as far as we know, to find out how Silvermoon fell -- in fact she has NO knowledge whatsoever about the Arthas and the Scourge invasion and her sister's heroic death trying to protect Silvermoon.

This is really what we're talking about: There are too many missing pieces and too many holes in the plot.

As for Void Elves -- even the ostensible 2nd in command to Alleria says he understands why Lorthemar kicked the group out of Silvermoon. It is one thing to be an outcast working for the good of your race and people. It's another thing, and in BfA it's this only "race" to do so, to flip sides to the enemy. That's treason. :D

Velves were added so Alliance Human Male Paladins could fulfill their Lord of the Rings fantasies. :D Of course, many aren't satisfied and still pine for High Elves instead. LOL
    [Deleted User]MrMelGibson

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,974
    edited February 2018
    It seems as if Suzie expects the story in WoW to actually make sense. :)

Sure, when WoW started story was at its core, but the game has been around for quite a while now and WoW has become just any other game for which story is a quick excuse for anything they want to bring in.

I think the "story writers" meeting (I seriously doubt they have any) went something like this:

Executive 1: So have we got any new races, they always sell product well?
    Developer: The guys were thinking about...Void Elves, cool huh?
    Executive 1: The fans will luv it; Void, Elves...together!
    Executive 2 (Who actually reads books): Hmm haven't we had quite a few Elven Races, what's the backstory that makes this all hang together?
    Developer: Don't worry I got the tea boy knocking something up about them being outcast from Silvermoon, it all make sense.
    SBFordKalebGraysonMasoodVoon

SBFord said:

All of the Windrunners lost 18 family members. Sylvanus was raised from the dead against her will and even tried to kill herself to escape that fate. Alleria never bothers, as far as we know, to find out how Silvermoon fell -- in fact she has NO knowledge whatsoever about the Arthas and the Scourge invasion and her sister's heroic death trying to protect Silvermoon.

This is really what we're talking about: There are too many missing pieces and too many holes in the plot.

As for Void Elves -- even the ostensible 2nd in command to Alleria says he understands why Lorthemar kicked the group out of Silvermoon. It is one thing to be an outcast working for the good of your race and people. It's another thing, and in BfA it's this only "race" to do so, to flip sides to the enemy. That's treason. :D

Velves were added so Alliance Human Male Paladins could fulfill their Lord of the Rings fantasies. :D Of course, many aren't satisfied and still pine for High Elves instead. LOL

Dunno imo sylvana is just a coward and undead lover.

edited February 2018
    Dragnelus said:

Coward? How so?

Also...she IS undead so....yeah. ;)

And..well...Alleria is a void infested tool of the Old Gods. It'll happen. *gets popcorn*

I love reading the books behind the game. Things make more sense after that. You're too right @Scot about wanting it to make sense. It's a bummer it doesn't :)
    MrMelGibson

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101
    I love reading the lore on World of Warcraft too @SBFord I enjoy the older stuff it had more flow. 
    SBFord
    Chamber of Chains
  • MargraveMargrave Member RarePosts: 1,362
    I think the whole allied races thing is just lazy. It feels like a no development excuse for content.

They're reskinned existing races. Sad.

You can tell they're out of ideas now. The age of the game is now truly showing.
    [Deleted User]WarlyxTsiyaCazrielpantaroSiegeMachine
    edited February 2018
    SBFord said:
    Dragnelus said:

Coward? How so?

And..well...Alleria is a void infested tool of the Old Gods. It'll happen. *gets popcorn*

I love reading the books behind the game. Things make more sense after that. You're too right @Scot about wanting it to make sense. It's a bummer it doesn't :)

In warcraft 3 the high elves served the alliance. Alleria hates her sister Sylvanas for championing the undead, Sylvanas is probably the reason Alleria joined the alliance once again.

Vereesa Windrunner is also Alliance, as are Turalyon, Arator, Prophet Velen etc.

High Elves were affiliated with the Alliance

The orcs killed Alleria's brother Lirath and numerous members

Sylvana is just a coward and traitor.
    Post edited by Dragnelus on
    MrMelGibsonseraphis79

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Allied races are strictly a gimmick.  They offer nothing beyond a visual change when compared to the other races.  Kind of like Lotro adding another elven race, few bothered with it.
  • davidcwooddavidcwood Member UncommonPosts: 4
    Allied Races is probably less about lore and story than an opportunity to monetize new aesthetic/cosmetic choices (and racial abilities), enticing players to spend $ to race/faction change. Blizzard is going to make a lot of $ by introducing these races...
    KalebGrayson
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Dragnelus said:
    SBFord said:
    Dragnelus said:

Coward? How so?

In warcraft 3 the high elves served the alliance. Alleria hates her sister Sylvanas for championing the undead, Sylvanas is probably the reason Alleria joined the alliance once again.

Vereesa Windrunner is also Alliance, as are Turalyon, Arator, Prophet Velen etc.

The Forsaken they were being attacked by Alliance forces trying to reclaim Lordaeron. Sylvanas contacted most of the races asking for an alliance but they all refused, except the Tauren.

Basically, the Alliance, especially the Humans, are extremely racist against undead and rejected her.

So, it's pretty much the opposite of what you're saying. The Alliance were the jerks, not Sylvanas.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    I'll also add that The Forsaken didn't take Lordaeron from The Alliance, the Burning Legion took it from the Alliance. The Forsaken took it from the Burning Legion. 
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • calibekcalibek Member UncommonPosts: 300

I'll also add that The Forsaken didn't take Lordaeron from The Alliance, the Burning Legion took it from the Alliance. The Forsaken took it from the Burning Legion. 

Yeah this is correct. Arthas, as a death knight before becoming the Lich King killed all the people in Lorderan for Nerzhul. The entire time Nerzhul was under the burning legion's thumb which he spent most of the time getting out of. When Arthas was called back to the Frozen throne because Nerzhul's "tomb" was leaking a splinter group of undead who regained the ability of autonomy due to the waning powers of Nerzhul attacked the Scourge then took back the city from the burning legion.

• jj7009jj7009 Member UncommonPosts: 223
    How is the alliance racist? They were distrustful of the undead due to literally every race save orcs and kaldorei getting smashed by them. And you know what, they are right in being weary of the forsaken hoe many times have forsaken splinter groups or hell main portions of it under sylvanas betrayed the horde. Sylvanas is a coward because she is afraid of facing death. In the short story where she kills herself she goes to hell. Now she is doing everything in her power to avoid death. If you do the cats story you see she is still utilizing the plague used at the wrath gate hunting down pockets of still living humans in lorderon. I mean hell look. At south shore. Sylvanas puts her own wants before the horde. At least garrosh was justified in his own mind, every evil act was for his horde. Every evil thing sylvanas does is done under the knowledge that it’s wrong but that it will buy her time or help buy her time in the future.
  • AvarixAvarix Member RarePosts: 665
    Alleria hates the Horde. (Evidenced by the clip linked below) As the leader of the Void Elves it makes sense that she would try to join the Alliance. As for the Alliance accepting, it's war. You make all kinds of friendships you otherwise wouldn't have made. They can be part of the Alliance and simply not be trusted.

Also, I wouldn't say the Void is pure evil to make it anathema to the Alliance. The actions of the Naaru Xe'ra tell me the Light isn't purely good, which means the reverse is most likely true as well. What she attempted to do to Illidan was completely against his will and she didn't care. Seemed pretty evil to me.

I haven't finished a few of the stories though so there is a lot I am missing, I am sure. Just my take on it so far.
  • esc-joconnoresc-joconnor Member RarePosts: 1,097

Margrave said:

I think the whole allied races thing is just lazy. It feels like a no development excuse for content.

They're reskinned existing races. Sad.

You can tell they're out of ideas now. The age of the game is now truly showing.

I doubt they are out of ideas, I'm sure in they throw around ideas that would make the WoW fans cream their jeans if they heard them.
    But then they do a cost vs expected income analysis and something simple comes out on top and that's all they wrote. Game devs at large companies must be frustrated individuals XD
    edited February 2018
    Dragnelus said:
    SBFord said:
    Dragnelus said:

Coward? How so?

The Forsaken they were being attacked by Alliance forces trying to reclaim Lordaeron. Sylvanas contacted most of the races asking for an alliance but they all refused, except the Tauren.

Basically, the Alliance, especially the Humans, are extremely racist against undead and rejected her.

So, it's pretty much the opposite of what you're saying. The Alliance were the jerks, not Sylvanas.
    Wouldnt you also exterminate the forsaken :open_mouth:  cannibalism is even one of their racials

I know I would.

Edit:

The Forsaken are nominally allied with the Horde, but serve only themselves. The Forsaken originally made allies of the Horde out of necessity and convenience. They have no love for orcs, tauren, or any other living creature.

The Horde is leery of the Forsaken's tactics, however, and keeps watchful eyes on them. This caution is justified. Forsaken culture is strange, a perverse combination of the lives they once knew as mortals and the mindless slavery they experienced in the Scourge, colored by white-hot rage toward the Lich King and an almost equally intense devotion to their queen.

• zanzarothzanzaroth Member UncommonPosts: 40
    i dont get it. whats the point in this? that races are just reskins of existing races.
  • RukushinRukushin Member UncommonPosts: 311
    I will be very disappointed if these allied races are the only thing coming with BFA. I'm expecting some sweeping changes. If not I just don't see how they expect BFA to birng people back. People were let down after Warlords and then again after the first month of Legion. I think if Blizz doesn't pull out all the stops on this one that this will be the beginning of the end due to lackluster sales.

Fans have lost a ton of trust over these past few years so we will see what happens.
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,915
    I see a dalek!

• MechanismMechanism Member UncommonPosts: 143
    Anyone else find it strange that all these races are really eager to choose sides what will likely be the next world war?
    edited February 2018
    My Forsaken Warlock begs to differ @Torval. :)

I LOVE the Forsaken. The name is so fitting -- they've been abandoned by everyone and they give everyone the big finger in response. If only both sides had one group that was as edgy and willing to say "f*ck it" and do what they wanted to do. Among them is the one place my Belf Death Knight feels like she has a place.

By your reasoning, Worgen are the same. They're still technically human with periodic change in status. I say Forsaken are a race. They're certainly not human any more. Nor are they dead. While they don't procreate, they are a unique entity on Azeroth. ;)
    [Deleted User]DragnelusTsiya

¯\_(ツ)_/¯