Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Goldshire Cliffs Student Video Brings WoW to a Modern Game Engine - World of Warcraft Videos - MMORP

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited February 2018 in Videos Discussion

imageGoldshire Cliffs Student Video Brings WoW to a Modern Game Engine - World of Warcraft Videos - MMORPG.com

Art student Collin Harris sent over a brief video showing off his submission to the next Blizzard Student Art Contest. In it, he shows the World of Warcraft location of Goldshire Cliffs as he envisions it using the Unreal Engine 4.

Read the full story here

Comments

• DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503
    I must say, with the right settings WoW looks better than a few modern mmorpgs for me. The zones, artistic etc is sometimes breathtaking.
    Viterzgirdeniterjosko9GhavriggTsiyagamer2025metarealValdheimJeroKane

• XingbairongXingbairong Member RarePosts: 927
    Honestly to me this looks like anything else, but WoW.

Looks great, but it kinda misses the "feel" of WoW.
    ViterzgirJeffSpicolimetarealJeroKane
  • josko9josko9 Member RarePosts: 577
    WoW graphically looks more than a decade old, I mean seriously even Oblivion from 2006 looks better (including it's terrible character models). It's just a game that is primarily played by players with less powerful hardware (China), so in a way it kinda makes sense.

As for this guy, I suppose he did a decent job, although it doesn't look much like WoW. I'm more concerned if that's what a cartoony MMO would look like in 2018, because this still looks very outdated..Not to mention over the top..
    Ghavriggpostlarvalperrin82TheScavenger
  • LrdEtriusLrdEtrius Member UncommonPosts: 95
    Is this a new Crash Bandicoot announcement?
    JeffSpicoli
  • beebop500beebop500 Member UncommonPosts: 217
    WoW on max settings is rather underrated, if you ask me.  The environments and atmospheres around you tend to be pretty and immersive.  Add to that the simple fact that the game just generally runs extremely well.

Sure, there are better-looking games, but at what cost?  BDO's texture pop-in is unforgivable in this day and age; I've had BnS and Tera both turn into slide-shows at the most inopportune times, more than once.  Throw in a lot of stutter and lag and frame rate dips that seem to be ubiquitous to games now as developers focus on money and not quality, and to me, that still puts WoW at the top of the heap in terms of performance, and in terms of players being able to enjoy the areas they are in and the tasks before them.

Just my 2c.
    JeroKane
    "We are all as God made us, and many of us much worse." - Don Quixote
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    I get more of a Wildstar feel from that video, than I do a WoW one.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    The unreal engine is "unreal". 
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    I hate to rag on some young talented kid but im not getting WOW from this. Talented artist though
    [Deleted User]
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• hallucigenocidehallucigenocide Member RarePosts: 1,015
    looks like something that could be around booty bay after the cataclysm and all that.
    SBFord

I had fun once, it was terrible.

• AlomarAlomar Member RarePosts: 1,299
    I've become surprisingly shallow in recent years and been spoiled by the attractiveness and realism modern graphics and engines are now capable of (BDO, ESO, GW2, etc.). If WoW looked anything like this video I'd have given it more of a chance in recent years, as it stands the graphics are just one of many features that prevent me from ever going back.
    Haxus Council Member
    21  year MMO veteran 
    PvP Raid Leader 
    Lover of The Witcher & CD Projekt Red
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Alomar said:
    I've become surprisingly shallow in recent years and been spoiled by the attractiveness and realism modern graphics and engines are now capable of (BDO, ESO, GW2, etc.). If WoW looked anything like this video I'd have given it more of a chance in recent years, as it stands the graphics are just one of many features that prevent me from ever going back.
    ^That's basically me, lol.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• R3d.GallowsR3d.Gallows Member UncommonPosts: 155
    edited February 2018
    Wheres the modern engine? Theres stuff that looks better than that already in Legion and most of what Ive seen in previews for BfA looks better as well (both fidelity and art wise).
    timtrack
    Alomar said:
    BDO combat gives me a headache and those pop ups hurts my eyes. But still a nice game haha

• mrobin604mrobin604 Member CommonPosts: 1
    Just for the record, Naughty Dog does not use UE4. They have their own proprietary engine.

A night elf laughed at me for living inside a volcano. Well at least I don't have to worry about my mountain burning now do I! What... too soon?

At 57 secs.. Dark iron dwarves :trollface:

• EdwardDunnEdwardDunn Newbie CommonPosts: 1
    I'm surprised... Though it's not surprising if a guy has talent. It's a contribution to my favorite game. It's an incredible picture with decent graphics.
  • KatherineRoweKatherineRowe Newbie CommonPosts: 2
    I watched the video several times and was amazed. To some extent, I was even jealous that I myself did not have such ability to create video. So far, I'm just learning it on courses, combining college and recently acquired hobby in video creation. I thought I couldn't combine it because of my studies, but I'm helped by a website that provides professional essay writing services for students from the UK. And if you take into account making video for games it will be a new stage, but it's not a solvable task for me yet. I hope that my skills will soon be ready for that.
  • ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member EpicPosts: 2,193
    What’s the news here exactly? 

“Person creates minimal scene in game engine”

happens every day. 
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,885
    Dragnelus said:

A night elf laughed at me for living inside a volcano. Well at least I don't have to worry about my mountain burning now do I! What... too soon?

At 57 secs.. Dark iron dwarves :trollface:

:D:smiley:  that was mean

• krisbarkleykrisbarkley Newbie CommonPosts: 1
    Hey. I am a teacher in high school and work as an academic writer on the site. Video games are very cool. I am also a gamer. But it’s no secret that this is time consuming. If you are worried about the exam, you are poorly prepared, or just want to tighten your knowledge. Of course, the best option would be to sit and prepare, but if you have little time or you have other priorities, you can visit Paperell (https://paperell.com/capstone-project-writing-service). Our experts will do everything right. You can be sure.
  • adamscotthiadamscotthi Newbie CommonPosts: 4
    Hey. I am a teacher in high school and work as an academic writer on the site. Video games are very cool. I am also a gamer. But it’s no secret that this is time consuming. If you are worried about the exam, you are poorly prepared, or just want to tighten your knowledge. Of course, the best option would be to sit and prepare, but if you have little time or you have other priorities, you can visit Paperell (https://domymathhomeworks.com/chemistry-homework/ ). Our experts will do everything right. You can be sure.
    Thanks a lot for help!