Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Marvel Heroes - Someone is attempting a Kickstarter fund... to buy the ip.

Comments

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Kickstarter doesn't allow for this. I'm wondering if this will just go away on indiegogo too, considering they don't have any clue what it will take to buy the IP. Actually, Disney won't sell the IP, so this is just crazy talk. 
    Tiller[Deleted User]cjmarshScot

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• SaltyDog79SaltyDog79 Member UncommonPosts: 119
    Wow bold plan. 

I really enjoyed MH(was even part of the beta), well at least until they ported it to consoles.  It really went downhill after that. 

As much as I would like to see it revived, I really can't see this going anywhere.
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,164
    No way will they ever to be able to buy the license for this lol. Your best bet is to appeal to to the powers that be (Disney) for all the good that will do.
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    That won't happen. Waste of money. Disney pulled the license... that's the entire game.
    Hariken

• moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530
    Why though?

Also subscriptions for that mess, hah. People forget that the combat was weak, the end-game content was sparse and repetitive, and the UI required ini editing to be functional.
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    CrazKanuk said:
    Kickstarter doesn't allow for this. I'm wondering if this will just go away on indiegogo too, considering they don't have any clue what it will take to buy the IP. Actually, Disney won't sell the IP, so this is just crazy talk. 
    Not only do they not "have a clue what it will take to buy the IP", they want the community to buy it for them.

I saw a really nice Bentley that fits the life style I'd like to live, everyone get together and buy it for me!

When you think Kickstarter can't get any smarmier, it does.  Panhandling.  No.  Remedial panhandling.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• jonp200jonp200 Member UncommonPosts: 457
    Something not to fund.....
    Scot

Seaspite
    Playing ESO on my X-Box

• superweaselsuperweasel Member UncommonPosts: 31
    Bring back City Of Heroes
    Hariken
  • GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    edited February 2018
    A Marvel license doesn't come cheap.  A  crowd funding effort won't be able to afford the license much less the royalties.
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Some how exactly do indiegogo vet the crowdfunding projects they promote on their site? Based on this it doesn't look like they do.
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    Why?  It's not even that good.
  • cjmarshcjmarsh Member UncommonPosts: 299
    These kinds of campaigns only hurt the indie teams who are seeking to actually make something themselves and are only able to do it with crowdfunding.
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    I did like Diablo with Marvel skins ...  but chipping in money .. not in a million years. I did sign the petition though .. cost me nothing.

I doubt it will go anywhere. Are we getting an Avenger game from some AAA studios? That is probably going to be a better game anyway (though probably with loot box that i have to ignore). 
  • ET3DET3D Member UncommonPosts: 325
    An Indigogo campaign with flexible funding just tells me 'we don't think it will succeed, so we plan to just take your money'.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,986
    edited February 2018
    Corporations love to bring everything in house, the idea of part of one of their IP brands being run somewhere that is not under their control will never float.

They are quite happy to licence to companies that do things outside of their sphere, so a game version goes to the gaming company. But any part of an IP can effect the whole IP, you don't give control away.

Look what happened to SWB, Disney is supposed to have stepped in, you retain control so if anything goes wrong you can tell the company with the license what to do. Indeed it is possible we would have seen no change from EA had they not stepped in.

Someone mentioned CoH, that would be more likely I think, but it might be an idea to ask them how much before you start fund raising.
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Plus, Marvel is *so* big now .. whatever the campaign can offer is not even a rounding error. So why would they even waste the time to talk to whoever is trying to rent/buy the IP?

Kyleran
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,507
    I read this thread title as "someone trying to start a Kickstarter "fraud."

Probably an accurate description regardless. 

;)
    Tillercjmarsh

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon