Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Would people care about cosmetics in a first person only MMO?

124»

Comments

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Flyte27 said:

I have heard the concept that women have a higher tolerance for pain, but is there any basis for this concept other than they give birth (which is very painful or can be). From all intents and purposes women, in general, live longer lives and healthier lives. This is because they have been allowed in most cases to show their emotions and act on their feelings. If something hurts they will likely not do it. A man will often ignore the pain because they are told to be tuff and hurt themselves. Most men are unhealthier and live shorter lifespans because they ignore their pain and torture themselves via a variety of different means. The funny thing is women want to join in the torture in the modern age because they feel deprived of the opportunity in some way.
    Uh, there are studies showing that women can take more pain, but it is a bit confusing since there is also studies that show that women feel smaller pain more then men.

Many men also tend to be far more whiny about getting a cold for some reason, I assume that is because those guys are wimps (if I can get out of bed for a disease you don't see me whine about it. Of course that might also be why mean complain less, we other guys tend to shoot stuff like that down fast but for some reason is whining about a cold (the wussiest of all diesease) better then complaining about something actually serious.

Anyways, your post kinda say that we guys are dumber between the lines...

All women I sparred against with sword have been rather tough in any case, but they have been Swedes (and Danes), not Yanks. I would assume American women would be just as competent.

The female Kurd warriors is BTW scaring ISIS far more then anyone else includingg male American soldiers (they are indeed scary and ISIS think you wont go to heaven if you are killed by them or so I heard).
  • MagararMagarar Member CommonPosts: 8
    why wouldn't they ?   :)
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Loke666 said:
    Flyte27 said:

I have heard the concept that women have a higher tolerance for pain, but is there any basis for this concept other than they give birth (which is very painful or can be). From all intents and purposes women, in general, live longer lives and healthier lives. This is because they have been allowed in most cases to show their emotions and act on their feelings. If something hurts they will likely not do it. A man will often ignore the pain because they are told to be tuff and hurt themselves. Most men are unhealthier and live shorter lifespans because they ignore their pain and torture themselves via a variety of different means. The funny thing is women want to join in the torture in the modern age because they feel deprived of the opportunity in some way.
    Uh, there are studies showing that women can take more pain, but it is a bit confusing since there is also studies that show that women feel smaller pain more then men.

Many men also tend to be far more whiny about getting a cold for some reason, I assume that is because those guys are wimps (if I can get out of bed for a disease you don't see me whine about it. Of course that might also be why mean complain less, we other guys tend to shoot stuff like that down fast but for some reason is whining about a cold (the wussiest of all diesease) better then complaining about something actually serious.

All women I sparred against with sword have been rather tough in any case, but they have been Swedes (and Danes), not Yanks. I would assume American women would be just as competent.

The female Kurd warriors is BTW scaring ISIS far more then anyone else includingg male American soldiers (they are indeed scary and ISIS think you wont go to heaven if you are killed by them or so I heard).
    Dude! A COLD? You must mean Man Flu, so serious only men can get it because women can't handle it, a cold....

The female Peshmerga in the Kurd army are indead widely feared by ISIS, being killed by a woman means no entry to heaven.

I think in current day and age the physical difference between males and females is completely neglectable. Much more interesting would be a comparison studies between different cultures, not sexes. I am pretty sure we, western people, would be pretty embarrased by both males and females from different cultures. Hell, even some kids are capable of stuff I can't even dream of.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir  

'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• Flyte27Flyte27 Member RarePosts: 4,574
    Loke666 said:
    Flyte27 said:

I did a quick search around on google and it appears that men generate higher levels of testosterone (clearly) and also endorphins.  Endorphins dull are released during exercise and dull the pain.  This should give men an advantage in terms of pain tolerance.  

As for something like fencing, shooting bows, or guns I believe men and women are on a more level playing field.  When it comes to dirty play that requires quick reflexes I think men have an advantage.  They are generally quicker, stronger, and can take more punishment.  Aside from their gonads, they have less vulnerable areas on their body due to higher muscle mass and less fat tissue.  Of course, this is only the case relative to the people involved.  A woman can improve their strength and men can end up fat and unfit.  

With all that said I don't think it's a good idea to ignore pain.  It can lead to chronic injury.  I see lots of men around me getting things like hip replacements that work in physical jobs.  There are also those suffering from malnutrition, alcohol, and drugs that can cause diseases to parts of your body if you keep indulging in them.  Personally, I have been lucky not to have suffered anything I could fix with good eating and rest.  The older you get the more important it is to take care of your body.
  • CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    ingi said:
    Wizardry said:
    I do not want to support a developer who segregates it's community and assets into who pays more gets more.If i am not playing the EXACT same game,EXACT same assets as the next guy,i am out of that game so fast it's not funny.

When I was playing path of exile and grouped with someone who had spell fx he'd purchased I immediately felt like he had "shinier toys" than me. I spent the next few minutes wondering if this would could get out of control in the future of online games where we are divided by social class and making those that can't afford the cool stuff to be singled out for everyone to see. And for the record I'm not cheap. I typically spend money in free to plays but only on quality of life improvements and things I think are fair.

As for the OP. I don't think I'd care as much if I couldn't see myself for example in APB I cared a lot about my looks because you could color and put your own designs on different clothing and if it was FPS only I might have found I'd care much less. People IRL dress nice to look good not just for others but themselves too. Anytime I want to see what I'm wearing i look down :).
    But how is a free game supposed to survive then? Path of exile is one of thr best examples of free to play done right. I looked at people with shinier skill effects as people who are less cheap than i am. 

Cryomatrix
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,865
    4507 said:
    In other words, would people care about cosmetics if they couldn't actually see them, but they knew that others could see them?
     Absolutely. I mean, there are tons of FPS games out there right now with skins that do gangbusters with them. People obviously care about cosmetics in them (See: Overwatch) 

That would go double for MMOs. 
    [Deleted User]