Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pillars of Eternity 2 Hands On Preview - It May Be Obsidian's Best RPG Yet - The RPG Files - MMORPG.

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,122
edited February 2018 in News & Features Discussion

imagePillars of Eternity 2 Hands On Preview - It May Be Obsidian's Best RPG Yet - The RPG Files - MMORPG.com

Over the course of the last several days, I've had a chance to sit down to play Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire, the latest in a stellar line up of cRPGs that have taken gaming by storm over the last couple of years. Taking note of the original game and expanding on nearly every aspect from the technical to the aesthetics to the story itself, the game moves the Pillars IP forward in fantastic new ways.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• AvarixAvarix Member RarePosts: 663
    This is the game I am most looking forward to this year. Can't wait to get my hands on it as well. Great preview!
    SBFordMadFrenchieSetzer
  • cheyanecheyane Member EpicPosts: 6,321
    The first game was very enjoyable so this is an automatic purchase for me.
    AzothSBFordcjmarshZeneren
  • ScottJeslisScottJeslis Member UncommonPosts: 286
    Any sense if finishing the first game is a good pre-requisite?
  • BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,560
    I'm almost entirely sure that it'll have some sort of "catch up" story option if you didn't play 1.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• GorweGorwe Member EpicPosts: 6,007
    edited February 2018
    Well, if they Shadows or Mask with this one...hope it's more fun to play anyhow. PoE was kinda drab and unrewarding. Weird XP system and boring loot and all of that.
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,122

I have never played the original -- I know, I'm a heretic -- and even starting without benefit of a tutorial or any type of catch up story option, I didn't feel lost. There are things that I'm sure will call back to the first game, but I have a lot of confidence that we'll understand its importance.

That said, it's not a bad idea anyway. :)
    Cazriel

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 8,781
    Nice to see a game created with a lot of gamer input.  Perhaps other games will follow this approach.  

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,344

Deadfire is a direct continuation (you play the same character) and 3 of the companions are coming back.

Deadfire is going to support saves import from the first game too or you'll be able to choose a pre-defined states among: Benevolent Soul, Fair and Balanced, Survival of the Fittest, Dark Times, and Everything Bad (Josh didn't say what was in each of them, but people who played the first game can guess).

Also, digesting all the Pillars lore might work better if you play through the first game.
    SBFord
    edited February 2018
    Nice to see a game created with a lot of gamer input.  Perhaps other games will follow this approach.  

One too much. Might should've stayed. People's illiteracy and lack of common, let alone uncommon, sense shouldn't be a reason to move away from what was a beautiful and functional attribute system. One of the best I saw in fact. These are just some of nice synonyms they should've used:

POWER(especially this one) , force , vigor , potency

See? All of those avoid the "but it's just a fancy way to say strength". Hell, even might is a Domain to Strength(which is its subdomain).

Ah well. I'm very interested in the state of the Chanter in Deadfire. Pillar's version thereof was very meh.

Still, a definite buy.

edit: which companions return? Eder, Aloth and...? Kana? Also, I was always of an impression that Deadfire Archplg was more of Tortuga, less of Polynesia. Maybe it's close to Rauatai? It seems it isn't, but it damn well should be with these names.
    @Gorwe

Edér, Aloth and Pallegina are coming back (if alive in your save). Kana is not returning as a companion, but we get one of his sister as one (Maia Rua). Deadfire Archipelago are mostly populated by an Aumaua tribe called Huana, hence the Rauatai influence.
    Gorwe
  • KalebGraysonKalebGrayson Member RarePosts: 430
    I backed this game and have entered my key on Steam. Really looking forward to the launch. I'm currently playing through Pillars 1 for the 4th time. My first video game on a computer was Baldur's Gate. This game is a throwback to those great games (Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, etc.) I highly recommend anything made by Obsidian. Seriously, they are the BEST game studio...Period.

azarhal said:

@Gorwe

Edér, Aloth and Pallegina are coming back (if alive in your save). Kana is not returning as a companion, but we get one of his sister as one (Maia Rua). Deadfire Archipelago are mostly populated by an Aumaua tribe called Huana, hence the Rauatai influence.

Ah. Nobody mentioned anything about Deadfire except storms and pirates so I naturally went for Tortuga / Tortage. Now I'm afraid my Aumaua's name won't be unique anymore. I guess we're talking about Red(Island) A's right?
  • angerbeaverangerbeaver Member UncommonPosts: 1,056
    I finished the first one once with a full party. Then i played monk and tried soloing the hardest mode. It was painful and I never finished it. I have 80 other games on Steam but probably only 5 I want to play through so I'll definitely pick this up, but I'll wait a while and get it on Sale.
  • ArillixArillix Member UncommonPosts: 88
    Ah yea, my evil game world dominating Death Godlike Rogue/Druid of destruction can terrorize all. Spawning Wildfires/Greater Wildfires in an animal form for fun and mayhem. The chickens must DIE.
  • TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 19,409
    This news story got posted to GameSpace earlier. Basically someone found out Obsidian filed a trademark for "The Outer Worlds" and posted a story on RPG Watch.

Some people speculate that it's a new IP and game, but I also think it could be the continuation of the Pillars series. They've hit a homer with this and may be looking to expand it.

Here's the article: https://www.gamespace.com/all-articles/news/obsidian-trademark/

MadFrenchie
    take back the hobby: https://www.reddit.com/r/patientgamers/

traveller, interloper, anomaly
    ༼ つ ◕◕ ༽つ

• mystik13mystik13 Member UncommonPosts: 142
    I found the ruleset from poe1 to be very restrictive. It tried too hard to be balanced.

e.g. in casting a spell for example you had might determining it's damage, intelligence the size of the aoe, dexterity casting speed.

Buffs overroad each other.

Gear bonuses didn't stack.

Would like to have heard from someone who had played the first one. My impression was that it was trying too hard to distinguish itself from D&D. It is kind the game I should have liked but the ruleset ruined it.

Torval
  • ElthiumElthium Member UncommonPosts: 74
    Really enjoyed the first one, looking forward to this one.
    Tokken
  • CryolitycalCryolitycal Member UncommonPosts: 205
    I'd pay double to have this with the combat system from Dragon Age: Origins, NWN 2 or maybe KotOR 2, since Obsidian made the last two.
    I don't mind some pure Baldur's Gate gameplay, but I'd really rather see it evolve towards better graphics and a more immersive experience, with voiced dialogue too.
    Again, I don't mind the classic isometric view, I'd just rather want to see the game evolve. Nobody makes DA:O type of games these days. It's all generic Action RPG open-world crap with 500 "side quests", i.e. map markers. I'd rather have the corridor experience with well defined side quests that are actually important.
    TorvalGorwe
    I'd pay double to have this with the combat system from Dragon Age: Origins, NWN 2 or maybe KotOR 2, since Obsidian made the last two.
    I don't mind some pure Baldur's Gate gameplay, but I'd really rather see it evolve towards better graphics and a more immersive experience, with voiced dialogue too.
    Again, I don't mind the classic isometric view, I'd just rather want to see the game evolve. Nobody makes DA:O type of games these days. It's all generic Action RPG open-world crap with 500 "side quests", i.e. map markers. I'd rather have the corridor experience with well defined side quests that are actually important.
    A categorical and absolute "YES" from me. I have nothing against BG too, but it's the PAST(also quite available to play). How about we embraced the FUTURE instead?
    Cryolitycal
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 26,793
    Gorwe said:
    A categorical and absolute "YES" from me. I have nothing against BG too, but it's the PAST(also quite available to play). How about we embraced the FUTURE instead?
    Its' such a weird way at looking at life.

There is no reason that this needs to "evolve" as it's "a game". IT's ok that they are isometric or side scrolling or have realistic graphics or pixel graphics.

It's not like every game is trying to "be a world". We can have more of Darkest Dungeon as well as Witcher 3 or Skyrim or "pick your poison" and none of them diminish the other.

Maybe it's coming full circle?!?!? Maybe Baldur's Gate IS the future.

And that's ok.
    KalebGraysonGorweAvarix

• jonp200jonp200 Member UncommonPosts: 440

SBFord said:

I have never played the original -- I know, I'm a heretic -- and even starting without benefit of a tutorial or any type of catch up story option, I didn't feel lost. There are things that I'm sure will call back to the first game, but I have a lot of confidence that we'll understand its importance.

Worth going back and playing the original. Excellent game and I am very much looking forward to this one!
    SBFordAvarix

Seaspite
    Playing ESO on my X-Box

Gorwe said:

azarhal said:

@Gorwe

Ah. Nobody mentioned anything about Deadfire except storms and pirates so I naturally went for Tortuga / Tortage. Now I'm afraid my Aumaua's name won't be unique anymore. I guess we're talking about Red(Island) A's right?
    Yes, it's the Island Aumaua.
    Gorwe

Sovrath said:

Gorwe said:

Its' such a weird way at looking at life.

There is no reason that this needs to "evolve" as it's "a game". IT's ok that they are isometric or side scrolling or have realistic graphics or pixel graphics.

It's not like every game is trying to "be a world". We can have more of Darkest Dungeon as well as Witcher 3 or Skyrim or "pick your poison" and none of them diminish the other.

Maybe it's coming full circle?!?!? Maybe Baldur's Gate IS the future.

And that's ok.

Well, it's better than some other options, but I'd have preferred Dragon Age: Origins or Mass Effect like future. With added AI customization, I've next to nothing against BG being the future. But I never thought of it that way. I'm kinda linear. And this is why there is misunderstanding. I said "don't cling to past TOO MUCH(past is ok, but implement it with modern amenities, yeah ; don't repeat it etc)" you said "well...maybe it's the full circle and the past IS the future". Different things, yeah?

azarhal said:

Gorwe said:

azarhal said:

@Gorwe

Yes, it's the Island Aumaua.

Ah lovely. I LOVE their Brown Red color scheme(Coastals are kinda weird with that freezing teal + blue ; yet I like Glamfallen / Rymrgand very much, go figure). This game's really looking better and better by the piece of information I gather about it.
  • cjmarshcjmarsh Member UncommonPosts: 299
    SBFord said:

Just for the record, some may not appreciate you speculating that this is the best game yet, even tangentially, if you haven't played the original. I completely understand why you did it, but it damages your credibility.
    Torval
  • TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 19,409
    cjmarsh said:
    SBFord said:

Just for the record, some may not appreciate you speculating that this is the best game yet, even tangentially, if you haven't played the original. I completely understand why you did it, but it damages your credibility.
    Not mentioning she hadn't played the first game might have been damaging by making a claim like that. Her opinion may not hold weight to you, but providing full disclosure is an action of integrity.

Having played the first, but none of the latter I'm pretty sure this game has to be better because I found the first one vastly overrated. The series can only get better, or at the worst be about the same. From the preview it does seem like they've put more effort into this version and polished it. I'm just not sure if the things that I didn't enjoy about the first are still present now.
    take back the hobby: https://www.reddit.com/r/patientgamers/

traveller, interloper, anomaly
    ༼ つ ◕◕ ༽つ