Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Multi-million dollar investments in CF and CU, and no loot boxes. LoLWhut?

genaknoscgenaknosc Member UncommonPosts: 112
Both Crowfall and Camelot Unchained, two very prominent MMORPG projects in development right now recently received outside investor infusions of 6 to 7.5 million dollars in order to augment their development to reach launch.

Meanwhile, Jeremy Walsh of CoE claims that he can't find investors interested in CoE because they all want loot boxes.

Neither CU nor CF have loot boxes. Camelot has even less cash shop concepts than Crowfall, where Crowfall still gets flak sometimes for selling thousand dollar virtual castles.

I can understand how it would help one's ego to shift blame for failure to an external party (similar to how Jeremy blamed his customers demand for updates for delays), but it is much more likely the reason CoE cannot acquire a publisher or outside investor is because:

a) The monetization scheme is incompatible with outside investors' desire for profits. (ie. Jeremy doesn't understand the industry)
b) Jeremy doesn't have contacts or reputation with ideal investors. (ie. Jeremy is an unknown in the industry)
c) Jeremy doesn't know how to pitch his game to the investors who will meet with him. (ie. Jeremy is inexperienced in the industry)
d) All of the above.
Slapshot1188WellspringmystichazeGaladournEponyxDamorJamesGoblinYashaXGdemami

Comments

• BLNXBLNX Member UncommonPosts: 275
    Who knows, honestly. News coming from crowdfunded MMOs really depress me. The ones that seem to be on course are ones I'm not interested in, and the ones I might be interested in are all in flux.
    In the King's Court, I choose to be the Jester.
  • jonp200jonp200 Member UncommonPosts: 457
    Good points.  Look at the track records for the developers of Crowfall and Camelot.  For sure, there is a higher degree of confidence they will produce something financially, viable.

I'm in the camp that COE will be a trainwreck for a number of reasons, a couple of which you site above or end up with loot boxes or some other equally reprehensible attribute that will turn the game into something else and further alienate the community.

I have come to believe most MMO efforts don't lend themselves well to crowdfunding.
    JamesGoblinTillerAlomar

Seaspite
    Playing ESO on my X-Box

• cjmarshcjmarsh Member UncommonPosts: 299
    CU and CF received investments because they've been working on the nuts and bolts of their games and making steady, if slow, progress. CoE on the other hand has nothing concrete to show for their efforts besides what is essentially concept art, design docs, and a reputation for delays. As a backer of them all at one point or another I can say I'm not at all surprised by the turn of events. CU and CF were certainly delayed as well but they continued to put in work on core systems despite the wave of uncertainty and pessimism facing them. Not to mention they have testers in playable early alphas (though playable might be a bit of a stretch). If CoE expects to attract any investors down the road, and they will definitely need them to stay afloat at this rate, then they need to buckle down and grind it out instead of trying to reinvent the wheel of developing MMOs.
    JamesGoblin
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,882
    If you invest in CF or CU you'll get a share in company that's been showing some real progress towards a finished game and is led by MMO industry veteran leaders.

If you invest in CoE you'll get a share in company that's made no significant progress and is led by a no-name whose skills are questionable.

I know which one I'd rather invest in. 
    BruceYeeJamesGoblinAlomarGdemami

• AshyLarry24AshyLarry24 Member UncommonPosts: 208
    It's crazy to me that there are so many people on this site that seem to defend publishers.  You are literally saying "listen to the suits, they know what they're doing".  

And the comparison between Crowfall/Camelot and CoE is LAUGHABLE!  And I'm excited for both those games.

ALso just to let you know Jeromy has a linked in lol.  He also has a lot of employees that are veterans of the industry lol.  I guess they're all idiots and not as smart as the people that frequent this forum to talk out their ass though :smile:
    JamesGoblinYashaX
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    It's crazy to me that there are so many people on this site that seem to defend publishers.  You are literally saying "listen to the suits, they know what they're doing".  

And the comparison between Crowfall/Camelot and CoE is LAUGHABLE!  And I'm excited for both those games.

ALso just to let you know Jeromy has a linked in lol.  He also has a lot of employees that are veterans of the industry lol.  I guess they're all idiots and not as smart as the people that frequent this forum to talk out their ass though :smile:
    I'll defend publishers if I agree with what they do.

I normally don't agree with some of the vocal players as they come across as kids who have never worked in a company in their lives.

If the publishers do things I dislike I'll say so. If they do things that I find questionable I'll say so.

EponyxDamorYashaXInteritus
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766

Who are all of these people you are referring to? I don't think I've ever seen people on this forum defend publishers. Most people are usually arguing about why lootboxes and publishers are bad. 
    YashaX
  • genaknoscgenaknosc Member UncommonPosts: 112

Not defending publishers.

Just pointing out that Jeremy Walsh is the primary reason for Jeremy Walsh's failure.
    Slapshot1188JamesGoblinYashaXGdemami
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,947
    Well said.
    JamesGoblinGdemami

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

The OP is literally saying that "The monetization scheme is incompatible with outside investors' desire for profits."  That's you saying that their monetization system can't make money.  That's you defending/agreeing with the production companies.

That's you defending the publishers wanting their game monetized with the same shit, and not understanding the philosophy behind CoE's monetization plan.  CoE doesn't want to do the same shit every company tries to do.  A monthly price that eventually goes f2p.  And the morons that produce video games these days are the exact reason why nothing new comes out, and it's just the same repeated safe formulas.  

Your whole original post is saying "If publishers don't see what's good about CoE's model than CoE 's model must suck".  If people here are consistently complaining about publishers than why is this thread completely backing up the publishers?  I don't deny that Jeromy has made mistakes, but come on... Whose side are you on?  It seems to me like you are gargling the balls of producers in this post.  A suit isn't gonna understand why the game doesn't want to have a monthly charge, or loot boxes, or cosmetics for sale.  THey don't understand why the effects the entire philosophy of the game.  All they understand is mimicking previously used models, and doing the same shit that's worked in other games.

And I'm not saying that Jeromy is faultless, but Jesus Christ, could you be any more vindictive and any more pro status quo?  Making false comparisons to games that don't have 1/10th the scope CoE has, and a completely different payment model?  It just seems like you are trying so hard to be negative towards the developers, you don't even know what you're saying.  You don't even mention how this is a constant problem with the industry right now, and how production companies don't ever want to try anything new, and just want to repackage the same garbage, and try to sell it as something new.
    DvoramystichazeYashaX
    You of course are creating a false choice... that either we love publishers or we support CoE.

That's simply not true.   The current monetization as proposed IMHO is simply not sustainable. Here is why I think you should listen:

Caspien said he would use his gantt charts to get the game out in 2017.   We said that's not realistic.  Now we are likely looking at a 2020 launch.  STRIKE 1

Caspien said that he would not need any more backer money and he would use the Kickstarter as seed money to attract a publisher.  He said he could deliver the full game with polish for $3-$4M.  We said that was unrealistic.   He has now raised $3.7M but was forced to do a round of layoff.  Obviously he will need to raise a lot more money to complete the game. STRIKE 2

Caspien said his scope for the game was going to be made possible by SpatialOS.  We said we were skeptical.  He recently said that SpatialOS proved too expensive so they are making home-brewed solutions. STRIKE 3

So now you want us to believe that closing his cash shop and typing revenue to a model that generates money based on how fast your character perma-dies (in a territory control, PvP game with looting where your character stays in game when you log out)  is a smart idea.   No... I really don't think it is.

Lootboxes suck.  But this system is not the answer.  See "The Way Forward" thread for possible alternatives.

JamesGoblinRealizerGdemami

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

1.  And this is different between every other kickstarter funded game how?  DO you think Ashes of Creation is going to come out in 2018?  You still hoping for Star Citizen in 2015?  Why is this especially alarming when CoE does it?  At least CoE releases their estimated release schedule unlike most of these games. Anyone with a brain knew this game wasn't releasing in 2017.  But kickstarter requires a place holder date.

2.  They layed off 3 people that weren't with the team for very long. It's not like they had to lay off 50% of their labor.  Am I happy about it?  NO.  But I don't think the sky is falling either.  They're on a tight budget, and tough decisions like this sometimes have to be made.  I've seen someone where I work get layed off before he even worked a full day, because management over hired.  

3.  He never once said that he wouldn't need more funding.  IN fact I'm quite certain he expected to continue to receive funding as the game was being developed.  His exact words were "we need 900k FROM KICKSTARTER in order to begin production".  This again makes me question your intention here.  Because it seems like you are creating your own narrative, instead of looking up the facts.  He mentioned a loose estimate of needing around $3 million dollars before going to publishers.  He never once said that he needs $3 million in total for a completed game.  THis is you again lying, or misinterpreting things.  

4.  For christ sake it's C-A-S-P-I-A-N.  You couldn't show a bigger red flag that you've done barely research on any of this stuff.  It only says his name on every DJ he's ever done, and any update ever.  Which lets e honest you probably haven't read shit besides other people negative opinions and parroted them.

5. Why is it a strike that they aren't using Spatial OS?  THat they've found tech that is better suited for what they want at a better price?  Because if anything doesn't work out exactly as you plan it, then you obviously failed?  Like what a simpleton way of looking at things.  He's also claimed that the new tech will allow for more than what they expected out of Spatial OS.  And this is CASPIANS BREAD AND BUTTER.  This is exactly where his expertise lies.  So again why is this a strike, and why does your opinion matter at all on the subject?

6. You have yet to give an actual reason why the payment model wouldn't work.  You can say anything sardonically and make it sound stupid.  But anyone with half a brain knows you have no expertise on this subject, and your opinion on the matter lies between jack and shit if that's your big counter argument towards the payment model.

In conclusion based on the over exaggerations you make, and the misinformation you seem to like to spread it seems like you are searching for evidence to support a conclusion you've already came up with, without any research.  Do me a favor and look up the term "motivated reasoning".
    KyleranJamesGoblinUngoodEponyxDamormystichazeYashaX
    edited February 2018

Q. How can you possibly make an MMO with only $900k USD?

A. - We understand it will take more than $900K to accomplish all of our goals. That is merely all we need from Kickstarter to help us out. We've invested $500K of our own money & have another $500K committed from friends & family. Plus we'll look for investors for the remaining amount needed.

From the Reddit AMA about 2 years ago.  And here's another quote from Caspian.

"That said, while we do have strategies in place to help raise the additional money, any funds we raise through online pledges helps reduce that amount and also provides a bit of cushion between now and our next funding round."

So again tell me where they said that they weren't going to go for any more crowdfunding after kickstarter?  This has always been part of the plan.  They've been open and honest about it since day 1.  And sure they were off a bit of their estimate of 3 million dollars... but so?  That means the whole thing is a scam, and they're not to be trusted? THey need to have 100% foresight in order to successfully release their product? 

So again tell me where they said that they weren't going to go for any more crowdfunding after kickstarter?  This has always been part of the plan.  They've been open and honest about it since day 1.   

First.. welcome (back?) to the forums!  If you read up you will find most of your claims are answered already... but to make it simple:

How much has been raised or promised from investors to date? How much of the additional $3 million will be covered by investors rather than players?

We’re not able to talk about investor relations right now. It’s not that we don’t want to. We can’t. Of the additional $2M – $3M, it’s our intention that all of it be covered by investors, or at least, not players. When we have more information we’ll release it to the community.

-------

Pretty plain and simple right.  So please... before you go making silly statement about spreading misinformation please do read up.  If you'd like to to provide sources for my claims please just ask.  Or better yet read the old threads as pretty much everything is already documented.

JamesGoblinYashaXGdemami

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    edited February 2018
    1.  And this is different between every other kickstarter funded game how?  DO you think Ashes of Creation is going to come out in 2018?  You still hoping for Star Citizen in 2015?  Why is this especially alarming when CoE does it?  At least CoE releases their estimated release schedule unlike most of these games. Anyone with a brain knew this game wasn't releasing in 2017.  But kickstarter requires a place holder date.

2.  They layed off 3 people that weren't with the team for very long. It's not like they had to lay off 50% of their labor.  Am I happy about it?  NO.  But I don't think the sky is falling either.  They're on a tight budget, and tough decisions like this sometimes have to be made.  I've seen someone where I work get layed off before he even worked a full day, because management over hired.  

3.  He never once said that he wouldn't need more funding.  IN fact I'm quite certain he expected to continue to receive funding as the game was being developed.  His exact words were "we need 900k FROM KICKSTARTER in order to begin production".  This again makes me question your intention here.  Because it seems like you are creating your own narrative, instead of looking up the facts.  He mentioned a loose estimate of needing around $3 million dollars before going to publishers.  He never once said that he needs $3 million in total for a completed game.  THis is you again lying, or misinterpreting things.  

4.  For christ sake it's C-A-S-P-I-A-N.  You couldn't show a bigger red flag that you've done barely research on any of this stuff.  It only says his name on every DJ he's ever done, and any update ever.  Which lets e honest you probably haven't read shit besides other people negative opinions and parroted them.

5. Why is it a strike that they aren't using Spatial OS?  THat they've found tech that is better suited for what they want at a better price?  Because if anything doesn't work out exactly as you plan it, then you obviously failed?  Like what a simpleton way of looking at things.  He's also claimed that the new tech will allow for more than what they expected out of Spatial OS.  And this is CASPIANS BREAD AND BUTTER.  This is exactly where his expertise lies.  So again why is this a strike, and why does your opinion matter at all on the subject?

6. You have yet to give an actual reason why the payment model wouldn't work.  You can say anything sardonically and make it sound stupid.  But anyone with half a brain knows you have no expertise on this subject, and your opinion on the matter lies between jack and shit if that's your big counter argument towards the payment model.

In conclusion based on the over exaggerations you make, and the misinformation you seem to like to spread it seems like you are searching for evidence to support a conclusion you've already came up with, without any research.  Do me a favor and look up the term "motivated reasoning".
    Did you just accuse @Slapshot1188 of not doing his research?

Oh my....

Avalanche warning is now in effect.

;)
    JamesGoblinYashaX

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Kyleran said:

Did you just accuse @Slapshot1188 ;of not doing his research?

Oh my....

;)
    Yeah but I'm pretty sure it's just a reincarnation of a prior person so I'll just let him go find out how wrong he is on his own...

These guys are like whack-a-mole.   I wouldn't have to say the same things over and over again if they wouldn't make the same disproven claims over and over again...

JamesGoblinYashaX

• BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    edited February 2018
    Maybe later down the road? It really wouldn't be a good idea to add them now and make people angry even before the games are out. I probably wouldn't have any problems with them cause if the games are good I'd want the companies to make as much money as possible to secure their survival. That said though the RNG of the boxes would need to lean more on the everybody wins side rather than make you lose your shirt.
    I write 6 responses, and you literally cherry pick one thing? 

"We have no plan to do another Kickstarter. Our time on Kickstarter is done, and we really appreciate the support we were shown from the community. As for the remaining funds, like I said, they will be a combination of equity investments, publishing deals in small and foreign markets, backing from upgrades and people who weren’t able to fund during Kickstarter, and other things we’re currently working on."

This is from the same thing you were posting from.

ANd I already said they were off on the amount of money they needed, and that it was a rough estimate.  Thing happen in the development in every game that you can't predict.  And to be real they're not yet at the additional 3 million they predicted to need. And also they're not out of money.

In this same interview there are multiple times where he talks about trying to get more money.  And to be honest I really don't trust MMO's.com.  There is like 5 spelling errors in that article, and MMOS.com are the same idiots that said "people are really mad there won't be raiding, and pve in COE".  They've constantly pushed misinformation on their podcast and have gotten roasted by the community before, for their lack of research and overall stupidity.

And also no, never posted her in my life.  Have heard about the amount of stupidity on these forums, and just thought I'd spend some time teaching morons about a game.

@Kyleran the fact that he couldn't spell caspian, and has such a strong opinion on this shit just blows my mind.  Guy couldn't show a bigger red flag that he doesn't know what the fuck he's talking about.  

YashaX
    You said : So again tell me where they said that they weren't going to go for any more crowdfunding after kickstarter?  This has always been part of the plan. 

I link  Caspien saying they will not need any more money from players:How much has been raised or promised from investors to date? How much of the additional $3 million will be covered by investors rather than players?

We’re not able to talk about investor relations right now. It’s not that we don’t want to. We can’t. Of the additional $2M – $3M, it’s our intention that all of it be covered by investors, or at least, not players. When we have more information we’ll release it to the community.

This is where you slink away and come back to ask the same questions in a week.

JamesGoblinYashaXGdemami

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

"We have no plan to do another Kickstarter. Our time on Kickstarter is done, and we really appreciate the support we were shown from the community. As for the remaining funds, like I said, they will be a combination of equity investments, publishing deals in small and foreign markets, backing from upgrades and people who weren’t able to fund during Kickstarter, and other things we’re currently working on."

ANd I already said they were off on the amount of money they needed, and that it was a rough estimate.  Thing happen in the development in every game that you can't predict.  And to be real they're not yet at the additional 3 million they predicted to need. And also they're not out of money.

In this same interview there are multiple times where he talks about trying to get more money.  And to be honest I really don't trust MMO's.com.  There is like 5 spelling errors in that article, and MMOS.com are the same idiots that said "people are really mad there won't be raiding, and pve in COE".  They've constantly pushed misinformation on their podcast and have gotten roasted by the community before, for their lack of research and overall stupidity.

And also no, never posted her in my life.  Have heard about the amount of stupidity on these forums, and just thought I'd spend some time teaching morons about a game.

@Kyleran the fact that he couldn't spell caspian, and has such a strong opinion on this shit just blows my mind.  Guy couldn't show a bigger red flag that he doesn't know what the fuck he's talking about.  

Speaking about cherry picking out "one little thing."

So he's not a fan of Narnia,  sue the guy.

FYI, he's proven to have more inside information than any other member of the ivory tower, I'm thinking he's the relative of someone working in the firm

You know, like that annoying brother in law.

Just kidding Slap.

;)
    JamesGoblin

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Kyleran said:

FYI, he's proven to have more inside information than any other member of the ivory tower, I'm thinking he's the relative of someone working in the firm

Just kidding Slap.

;)
    They always seek me out.  Remember when Goblinworks employees were sending me info and I knew they were laying off a few days before they announced it?  Let's just say other company's have employees that do the same thing.

JamesGoblinYashaX

Kyleran said:

Just kidding Slap.

;)
    He also doesn't read much about CoE obviously since that name is on just about every single update CoE has ever had.  

And I have responded to literally everything this dude has said.  Compared to him responding to 1 of my 6 points and not even mentioning the other 5 points.  
    YashaX
  • DvoraDvora Member UncommonPosts: 499
    edited February 2018
    I have to say that until (if) the game rolls out it's too early to say if the monetization scheme will work.  

To say that it won't simply because its based on character death in a pvp game is not exactly a scientific conclusion.  It's all dependent on variables we don't know enough about.  How often will a character die, how much does pvp or pve death speed up the permadeath, what is the price per death, and then most of all how good is the game?

It is a new and unproven approach that is for sure, but nothing says it can't work.  It could work very well, or at least as well as a straight subscription model, and may not really end up much different depending on execution.

Publishers are by default averse to trying new as opposed to tried and true money grabs.  Saying off the top of the head that it won't work does very much look like a nod to them.

In my opinion, if it's not taken to the extreme this payment method will bring at least a little increase in sense of investment in the character, which is a good thing if it's not TOO harsh when you lose it.

Publishers are all about money though, and won't take many chances even if it means they might lose out on something big.  CU and CF have certainly shown that they are farther along, but in my opinion their visions for their games are ho-hum been there done that.  That is what publishers can't see. 

I hope he finds a way to make COE work, and doesnt have to cut too much of his scope..
    gervaise1
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,517
    genaknosc said:
    Neither CU nor CF have loot boxes. Camelot has even less cash shop concepts than Crowfall, where Crowfall still gets flak sometimes for selling thousand dollar virtual castles.
    Since I don't recall CU or CF, saying anything about loot boxes at all, how do you know they wont have them?
    JamesGoblinKyleranYashaX
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

Ungood said:
    genaknosc said:
    Since I don't recall CU or CF, saying anything about loot boxes at all, how do you know they wont have them?
    Why would your lack of knowledge impact what we know?
    Go look it up yourself and become enlightened.

JamesGoblinRealizerYashaX