Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

State of the Studio

Comments

• UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,530
    Negativity?!?  I don't know about you but I LOVE a good dumpster fire.
    Then you are in the right place and I am not. But this might be why Caspian does not listen to any of you.. I know if I was making a game, the last group of people, (below a drunk on the street), would people who just enjoy trashing on my game.
    YashaX
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• cjmarshcjmarsh Member UncommonPosts: 299
    Ungood said:
    Ungood said:
    @GeezerGamer

Does anyone like a pessimist even if they are right?
    I understand that you want to be positive. And you may not like the pessimism. However, if this is true, and I believe it is, then SBS it is possibly practicing shady business.
    But see, it's not True, until it happens, right now, it's nothing more then a pessimistic outlook, recited endlessly. Even if you agree with their prediction, it makes it no less pessimistic. And if someone is so sure something is going to fail, why not just walk away from it, why hang around and harp upon it endlessly?

As for any truth, given that half their ramblings and objections revolve around tin foil hat mudslinging about ivory towers, and what have you, its like they are playing their own delusional fantasy game around this games development.

Now, If you really look at it, it's more a cry for attention, they want to be head, they want this company to listen due to some self imposed feelings of importance and perhaps they were given a head nod for suggesting an idea that I would wager has already been around for a few decades, and suddenly feel they should have the power to shape the game as a whole, and perhaps got blown off when they pushed too hard, hence their "way forward" post they think is going to change the whole game.

Now, If that is who you want to follow, be my guest, but.. for me. I like games, I enjoy playing games, and I look forward to new and fun games play. To me, CoE is not new in the sense of Online Games, it's more a return to old school MUDs, which I loved playing back in the day.

But, this is just one of many games out there to me, so, I am not going to piss away my life tending an ear to the ramblings of pessimist, if that is what makes you happy and you want to cling that they are prophetic truth speakers, be my guest, but don't expect me to give that decision, or the words you cling to, any respect.

If they end up being right.. Oh well. Guess Ill just have to play something else.. much like what  I am doing right now.. playing something else. So my life won't change, as such, I have no reason to humor such negativity.
    You're basically arguing that willful ignorance is alright as long as it comes with a positive mentality. But if you don't want to admit things because they are negative then how will you ever change or inspire the change you really want? People aren't pessimistic because they enjoy it, they're pessimistic because they have a vision of something that works better and want to see it realized.
    GdemamiUngoodYashaX
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    My such expertise on the community here in such short time.  Simply amazing!  Anyhow I have an idea.  Let’s create a new thread to talk about pessimists and Harbingers!

Anyone have something else to add related to the layoffs or the State of the Studio in general?

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

edited February 2018
    cjmarsh said:
    Ungood said:
    Ungood said:
    @GeezerGamer

I understand that you want to be positive. And you may not like the pessimism. However, if this is true, and I believe it is, then SBS it is possibly practicing shady business.
    But see, it's not True, until it happens, right now, it's nothing more then a pessimistic outlook, recited endlessly. Even if you agree with their prediction, it makes it no less pessimistic. And if someone is so sure something is going to fail, why not just walk away from it, why hang around and harp upon it endlessly?

As for any truth, given that half their ramblings and objections revolve around tin foil hat mudslinging about ivory towers, and what have you, its like they are playing their own delusional fantasy game around this games development.

Now, If you really look at it, it's more a cry for attention, they want to be head, they want this company to listen due to some self imposed feelings of importance and perhaps they were given a head nod for suggesting an idea that I would wager has already been around for a few decades, and suddenly feel they should have the power to shape the game as a whole, and perhaps got blown off when they pushed too hard, hence their "way forward" post they think is going to change the whole game.

Now, If that is who you want to follow, be my guest, but.. for me. I like games, I enjoy playing games, and I look forward to new and fun games play. To me, CoE is not new in the sense of Online Games, it's more a return to old school MUDs, which I loved playing back in the day.

But, this is just one of many games out there to me, so, I am not going to piss away my life tending an ear to the ramblings of pessimist, if that is what makes you happy and you want to cling that they are prophetic truth speakers, be my guest, but don't expect me to give that decision, or the words you cling to, any respect.

If they end up being right.. Oh well. Guess Ill just have to play something else.. much like what  I am doing right now.. playing something else. So my life won't change, as such, I have no reason to humor such negativity.
    You're basically arguing that willful ignorance is alright as long as it comes with a positive mentality. But if you don't want to admit things because they are negative then how will you ever change or inspire the change you really want? People aren't pessimistic because they enjoy it, they're pessimistic because they have a vision of something that works better and want to see it realized.
    Accepting that if they say they have things under control, that they have things under control, is a whole lot better then running around like a chicken with head chopped off screaming the whole game is gonna die, when you really have no idea.

Now, Don't let me stop you doing that.. but understand I am not going to take you seriously either.
    YashaX
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Ungood said:
    Ungood said:
    @GeezerGamer

What is true and what can be proven are entirely different things. 

Right at this very moment, If SBS is looking at shutting down for good, but isn't saying so, it could be a truth, Conversely, if they have found a secret angel investor, and haven't disclosed that yet, that would also be a truth. Either way, our ignorance of these truths does not make them untrue. 

So at this point, we can only say what we believe and why.
    cjmarshGdemamiYashaX
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    Ungood said:
    cjmarsh said:
    Ungood said:
    Ungood said:
    @GeezerGamer

Accepting that if they say they have things under control, that they have things under control, is a whole lot better then running around like a chicken with head chopped off screaming the whole game is gonna die, when you really have no idea.

Now, Don't let me stop you doing that.. but understand I am not going to take you seriously either.
    If you accept that they have things under control you might end up buying something from them and losing your money if they can't deliver, whereas running around like a headless chicken is free.

Therefore I submit that panicking and running around like a headless chicken is the better alternative.
    KyleranJamesGoblinGdemamiYashaX

Vrika said:
    Ungood said:
    cjmarsh said:
    Ungood said:
    Ungood said:
    @GeezerGamer

If you accept that they have things under control you might end up buying something from them and losing your money if they can't deliver, whereas running around like a headless chicken is free.

Therefore I submit that panicking and running around like a headless chicken is the better alternative.

I see you never heard the story of Chicken Little, See, making an ass of yourself may not cost money, but it is not free either.

Now, look at things form my angle, I am given the choice between the word of someone on a form with no credentials to speak of, or the developer of the game itself.. which sounds like the most reliable bet to have a clue on what is really going on?

If they say, this is just a set back, then.. maybe, it's just a set back.
    JamesGoblinGdemamiYashaX

Ungood said:
    Vrika said:
    Ungood said:
    cjmarsh said:
    Ungood said:
    Ungood said:
    @GeezerGamer

I see you never heard the story of Chicken Little, See, making an ass of yourself may not cost money, but it is not free either.

Now, look at things form my angle, I am given the choice between the word of someone on a form with no credentials to speak of, or the developer of the game itself.. which sounds like the most reliable bet to have a clue on what is really going on?

The difference of course is that Chicken Little was wrong over and over.  As proven repeatedly, the Harbingers have been right each step of the way.  As you just joined us a month or 2 ago you may not appreciate the full magnitude of that so feel free to catch up.

I said it multiple times.  To stop critics all they have to do is:
    Say what they mean
    Do what they say
    Do it when they say they will.

Three simple steps.  
    GdemamiYashaX

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• AshyLarry24AshyLarry24 Member UncommonPosts: 208
    There is a misconception that SBS is "close to shutting down".  This isn't true.  What is true is publishers aren't interested in their unproven payment model, especially when they haven't got much to show, since they've mostly been working on the background structure of the game.  If SBS has to, they will change their payment model, and move forward, likely sacrificing some of their original vision.  Which would be unfortunate, but better than no game releasing at all.  I don't think anyone wants a CoE with any of the cancerous payment models that have plagued the MMO genre for the last half a decade.

That being said there plan is to get as much done as possible and go back to publishers, and hopefully keep their creative control.  The more they get done the more leverage they'll have in deals with publishing companies.
    JamesGoblinYashaXmystichaze
    There is a misconception that SBS is "close to shutting down".  This isn't true.  
    I don't believe they are "close to shutting down" but I also don't know that they aren't.  You can say you don't THINK it's true (and I would agree) but unless you have access to their financials  (maybe you do?) I'm not sure how you would be able to state that as a fact.

JamesGoblinGdemamiYashaX

• TiamatRoarTiamatRoar Member RarePosts: 1,685
    edited February 2018
    Why bother shutting down when you can just minimize work and thus expenses to near 0 and continue raking in donations from the believers?  It's not like they'll notice that practically no progress is being made on the game.  I mean, it's been years and apparently almost no progress has been made on the game and they haven't noticed so far.
    JamesGoblinYashaXEloranta
    Why bother shutting down when you can just minimize work and thus expenses to near 0 and continue raking in donations from the believers?  It's not like they'll notice that practically no progress is being made on the game.  I mean, it's been years and apparently almost no progress has been made on the game and they haven't noticed so far.
    Hey now.. here is a progress screenshot from just a few days ago!   Came with it's own announcement thread as well!

JamesGoblinYashaXEloranta

There is a misconception that SBS is "close to shutting down".  This isn't true.  
    I don't believe they are "close to shutting down" but I also don't know that they aren't.  You can say you don't THINK it's true (and I would agree) but unless you have access to their financials  (maybe you do?) I'm not sure how you would be able to state that as a fact.

I have a lot more reasons to believe SBS than random people on the internet who have shown to be overly negative, and have a limited understanding of the product, and the development.
    JamesGoblinSlapshot1188UngoodYashaXmystichazeEloranta
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
      I don't think anyone wants a CoE with any of the cancerous payment models that have plagued the MMO genre for the last half a decade.

That being said there plan is to get as much done as possible and go back to publishers, and hopefully keep their creative control.  The more they get done the more leverage they'll have in deals with publishing companies.
    Funny story,  I think based on their Kickstarter / crowdfunding model I think they should go full monty and consider a monetization plan more along the lines of Entropa Universe.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Ungood said:
    Vrika said:
    Ungood said:
    cjmarsh said:
    Ungood said:
    Ungood said:
    @GeezerGamer

The difference of course is that Chicken Little was wrong over and over.  As proven repeatedly, the Harbingers have been right each step of the way.  As you just joined us a month or 2 ago you may not appreciate the full magnitude of that so feel free to catch up.

Say what they mean
    Do what they say

Three simple steps.  
    Really wish you could keep to your word and not respond to me.

None the less, after all your fussing, if this game gets made, I don't think any of your critics have plans to let you forget it, ever. Just think, you have 2 years to loose all credibility.

How fortunate for you.
    Slapshot1188JamesGoblinYashaX

Ungood said:
    Ungood said:
    Vrika said:
    Ungood said:
    cjmarsh said:
    Ungood said:
    Ungood said:
    @GeezerGamer

Say what they mean
    Do what they say

Three simple steps.  

None the less, after all your fussing, if this game gets made, I don't think any of your critics have plans to let you forget it, ever. Just think, you have 2 years to loose all credibility.

How fortunate for you.
    I'm sure they lay awake at night dreaming of that day...

It's always good to have a dream
    JamesGoblinYashaX

Ungood said:
    Ungood said:
    Vrika said:
    Ungood said:
    cjmarsh said:
    Ungood said:
    Ungood said:
    @GeezerGamer

Say what they mean
    Do what they say

Three simple steps.  

How fortunate for you.
    I'm sure they lay awake at night dreaming of that day...

It's always good to have a dream
    I sleep like a baby, as I win either way.

If by some grace you are right, I didn't invest, so, I made the right choice from the start.

If by some grace you are wrong, I get to chide you for it, forever.

Equally so, if you think you could do better, well you have a Kickstarter account, and by your own words, insider contacts and info.. go for it.

YashaXSlapshot1188

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    So a studio that raised 4 million, that had to lay off 3 people, missed its initial release date by what looks like a couple years, cancelled its partnership with spatialOS touted as the fabric of the game, sold pay 2 king for 10k and vote tokens, that thought it was a good idea to make a MUD and can't find a publisher or additional investors since April...

Thats the horse you got your money on?

Image result for half dead race horse

JamesGoblinSlapshot1188KyleranYashaXWellspringEloranta

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

Nilden said:
    So a studio that raised 4 million, that had to lay off 3 people, missed its initial release date by what looks like a couple years, cancelled its partnership with spatialOS touted as the fabric of the game, sold pay 2 king for 10k and vote tokens, that thought it was a good idea to make a MUD and can't find a publisher or additional investors since April...

LOL.. Nope.

Not sure how many times I will need to say. I haven't bet a cent on this 'horse', but it seems like it always just one more time.

So let me see.. my choices are, a game company that is behind schedule vs a bunch of formites that can't read.

I am sure you can understand that It's a difficult choice.. no doubt.
    YashaX

Nilden said:

Has there been a single game that hasn't missed their date on kickstarter?  Crowfall originally was I believe estimated December 2016.  Star Citizen's originally 2015.  Ashes of Creation claims 2018, which everyone knows is bullshit.

SHenmue 3 claimed December of 2017.  Like honestly I don't know a single game that has ever hit the estimated release date given on kickstarter.  

And they have found publishers.  THey could easily change the payment model and get a publisher, but they don't want to, and hopefully they don't have to, because even adding sell able cosmetics in CoE effects the ultimate vision of the game. 
    mystichazeStaalBurgher
    Nilden said:

You pretty much nailed it... 
    JamesGoblinWellspringEloranta

Has there been a single game that hasn't missed their date on kickstarter?  
    To be fair, a lot of AAA backed titles missed their deadlines as well, or put out bad rushed games to make their deadlines. Which has lead to companies not giving exact dates anymore, and deferring that Expansions and Updates will happen, when they are ready, so they don't put out half done products to meet dead lines.

Ungood said:
    Has there been a single game that hasn't missed their date on kickstarter?  
    To be fair, a lot of AAA backed titles missed their deadlines as well, or put out bad rushed games to make their deadlines. Which has lead to companies not giving exact dates anymore, and deferring that Expansions and Updates will happen, when they are ready, so they don't put out half done products to meet dead lines.
    Most of those (any other than Caspien?) did not go out of their way to mock people that questioned the timeline...
    One of the great rules about life: You wanna talk the talk you need to walk the walk.

RealizerGdemamiJamesGoblinYashaXEloranta

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Nilden said:

Has there been a single game that hasn't missed their date on kickstarter?  Crowfall originally was I believe estimated December 2016.  Star Citizen's originally 2015.  Ashes of Creation claims 2018, which everyone knows is bullshit.

SHenmue 3 claimed December of 2017.  Like honestly I don't know a single game that has ever hit the estimated release date given on kickstarter.  

And they have found publishers.  THey could easily change the payment model and get a publisher, but they don't want to, and hopefully they don't have to, because even adding sell able cosmetics in CoE effects the ultimate vision of the game. 
    The main problem isn't missed deadlines. It's that they only raised 4M when they probably need 5 times what they have raised so far and things don't look promising for the rest of what they need.

All these claims about people being too negative without facts, and who don't know shit about shit and all naysayer's and harbingers being ignorant. but the math just isn't there folks.
    GdemamiJamesGoblinEloranta
    Nilden said:

The main problem isn't missed deadlines. It's that they only raised 4M when they probably need 5 times what they have raised so far and things don't look promising for the rest of what they need.

All these claims about people being too negative without facts, and who don't know shit about shit and all naysayer's and harbingers being ignorant. but the math just isn't there folks.

Please enlighten me with your math.
    Gdemami