Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

'Paragon Institute' Wants to Raise Funds to Buy Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes Omega - MMORPG.com

Comments

• etharnetharn Member UncommonPosts: 152
    Truth be told I miss it. The dungeon crawling marvel game was unique imo. Everytime I watch a marvel movie I want to jump into this game and play. I hope they can get it and improve it. Good luck guys.

A man who fears nothing is a man who loves nothing; and if you love nothing, what joy is there in your life?

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    IceAge said:
    Vrika said:
    SBFord said:
    For those arguing on the validity of a news story, let me remind you of the definition of "news":

noun, ( usually used with a singular verb)
    1. a report of a recent event; intelligence; information:
    His family has had no news of his whereabouts for months.
    2.The presentation of a report on recent or new events in a newspaper or other periodical or on radio or television.
    3. such reports taken collectively; information reported: There's good news tonight.

Let me point out the salient phrases: INFORMATION, THE PRESENTATION OF A REPORT ON RECENT OR NEW EVENTS.

This is why the story is being laid out. The charge of "fake news" is just a smokescreen to stop people from objectively determining the validity of the information presented and their personal reaction to it. The tactic is the new "thing" these days and is only used by those who want to see information flow in only one pre-determined direction.

The news item is not an endorsement. It is not an opinion. It is a fact about something that has happened with regard to a game that many people on this site have loved and miss since it shut down.

If anyone reading this is not doing their own due diligence when visiting the IndieGoGo page, then then that is on them, not on MMORPG.com. Once again I will reiterate that I have a lot more faith in the intelligence of this community to figure out what is legit and what is a scam. Everyone must decide for themselves.

Information is power. Critical thinking is key. Learn about all sides through research and make a decision based on all the facts.
    A journalist introducing a product should try to be careful that she doesn't introduce a scam as a product.
    Luckily it's not introducing a product, it's a story about a company trying to buy assets of a failed game.
    What company ?!
    The "non-profit organization" looking to start a studio.  

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    SBFord said:
    For those arguing on the validity of a news story, let me remind you of the definition of "news":

2.The presentation of a report on recent or new events in a newspaper or other periodical or on radio or television.
    3. such reports taken collectively; information reported: There's good news tonight.

Let me point out the salient phrases: INFORMATION, THE PRESENTATION OF A REPORT ON RECENT OR NEW EVENTS.

This is why the story is being laid out. The charge of "fake news" is just a smokescreen to stop people from objectively determining the validity of the information presented and their personal reaction to it. The tactic is the new "thing" these days and is only used by those who want to see information flow in only one pre-determined direction.

The news item is not an endorsement. It is not an opinion. It is a fact about something that has happened with regard to a game that many people on this site have loved and miss since it shut down.

If anyone reading this is not doing their own due diligence when visiting the IndieGoGo page, then then that is on them, not on MMORPG.com. Once again I will reiterate that I have a lot more faith in the intelligence of this community to figure out what is legit and what is a scam. Everyone must decide for themselves.

Information is power. Critical thinking is key. Learn about all sides through research and make a decision based on all the facts.
    Sadly, @SBFord, the strength of many of this community's members appears to be 'shouting down' anything discussion that they don't personally agree with.  Welcome to my world.

Bonus kudos for using 'salient' in a forum post.

SBFord

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• DztBlkDztBlk Member UncommonPosts: 127
    Highly unlikely...AND WHY?
  • Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960
    Unless they can show me proof that Disney is willing to seriously consider selling the game to them, they can sod off. They're extremely protective of their IP, and $900K is basically pocket money to them. This whole thing reeks of a scam, TBH.

Also, people need to stop using the term 'fake news' in situations where it doesn't apply. There is nothing fake about this story. No sensationalism, no misinformation, no obvious political bias, no opinions being passed off as fact, and all information given is easily verifiable. There's plenty of fake news out there (just watch CNN or MSNBC, sometimes Fox), but this isn't it.
    SovrathTiller

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    They should just rework it a little and release it as a single player game, with MP options IMO.
    [Deleted User]Nilden

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101
    How can they manage to get this from Disney...pipe dream.
    Chamber of Chains
  • CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    I think what makes it most disappointing, to me, is that they haven't done any legwork to even assess whether they CAN obtain the property. They make the assumption that the property was called in from Gazillion because of their dissatisfaction with the game or performance. In reality, it's more likely that Disney always wanted to close this, but how could they do this without making waves? Well, you wait for it to die off enough to justify closing it. 

I did something very similar with Project Copernicus. I wanted to see about getting the property at a value by sourcing the development to schools in Rhode Island and, also, feeding back a percentage of the profits to the state. The plan is a good one.  I even had an investment group onboard to help out, too, for a non-trivial amount based on the crowdfunding results. However, I never even got to a negotiation stage because it was quickly shut down by the state. Maybe it's devalued enough to be re-considered. However, I needed exactly $0 for them to tell me it wasn't going to happen. I'm sure you could get the same answer from Disney. It's just about doing some ACTUAL legwork. 
    SovrathTiller[Deleted User]ConstantineMerus

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

CrazKanuk said:
    I think what makes it most disappointing, to me, is that they haven't done any legwork to even assess whether they CAN obtain the property. They make the assumption that the property was called in from Gazillion because of their dissatisfaction with the game or performance. In reality, it's more likely that Disney always wanted to close this, but how could they do this without making waves? Well, you wait for it to die off enough to justify closing it. 

I did something very similar with Project Copernicus. I wanted to see about getting the property at a value by sourcing the development to schools in Rhode Island and, also, feeding back a percentage of the profits to the state. The plan is a good one.  I even had an investment group onboard to help out, too, for a non-trivial amount based on the crowdfunding results. However, I never even got to a negotiation stage because it was quickly shut down by the state. Maybe it's devalued enough to be re-considered. However, I needed exactly $0 for them to tell me it wasn't going to happen. I'm sure you could get the same answer from Disney. It's just about doing some ACTUAL legwork. 
    According to the Indiegogo campaign, they pretty much state they have no idea.  Their premise is that they want to buy the assets from Gazillion.  Whether or not that's possible, I'm not even sure.

I don't know how Disney licensed the rights when they renewed the contracts, for all we know, Disney owns all the character models and if they were able to obtain anything from Gazillion, it may be the their coding, but even that is only half a game and in actuality the worst part of the game,  it was really buggy. 

They then go on to give scenarios on what they would do if they couldn't obtain the disney license.  Thinking they may be able to get other comic book licensed characters.

This complicates the entire premise, because without the Marvel Characters, it's not MHO.  It pretty much invalidates the project.

It's a pipe dream. 
    CrazKanuk[Deleted User]

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,014

It's a pipe dream. 
    It's worse than a pipe dream.

This is the problem with game development at the moment. People who are basically saying "why not? Let's try" but with no plan at all. Real Plan.

I mean, I could say "I'm collecting money to make x,y z mmorpg. These are my ideas and hopefully we will get to the stage where we can attract a developer. If not then we will publish ourselves."

That's not really a plan.

That's just a list of things I would like to have happen.

No one should give these guys money unless they can show that they have permission to use these characters and can show actual work.

maskedweaselTillerMendel[Deleted User]Nilden
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,905
    They should just rework it a little and release it as a single player game, with MP options IMO.
    it would cost millions to rewrite all of the code to not use client/server interactions.  and frankly, the content was barely worth doing with other players.  it would be terribly boring solo
    Right now different parties are fighting over ownership of gazillions assets.  Who knows how long that will take to settle.  But until it is settled, those assets aren't changing hands with anyone for any price.

Supposedly disney made an offer before Gazillion shut down but the CEO declined.  Even if an offer was made, maybe it was a lowball and the CEO knew it would guarantee the company shut down.
  • seldinseldin Member UncommonPosts: 196
    I think I would be leery funding this campaign.  It is a flexible campaign so they get the money even if they don't meet their goal and they don't say what they will do with the money if they cant acquire the assets.  Guess the saying is true "A fool and his money are soon parted."
  • IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,120
    IceAge said:
    Vrika said:
    SBFord said:

A journalist introducing a product should try to be careful that she doesn't introduce a scam as a product.
    Luckily it's not introducing a product, it's a story about a company trying to buy assets of a failed game.
    What company ?!
    And you call that a "company"? Really ? Wow! Also , you forgot to add "educational" , which makes it even less of a "company". 

Now, tell me again, whats so "educational" in buying a failed game and wanting to re-launch it with no fucking idea about the market , and many , many other factors? 

If it's .."educational", that means they are learning. So go ahead and "donate" as much money as you want for them to "learn" that this is NOT the way to get into this business ( or other business ). 

The true story is that there is this kid ( or kids ) , who played the game , and now they feel sad about the closer of their beloved game , and some days ago , they meet at McDonalds, and come up with this "Marvel" idea.

PS: Based on linkedIn , there are .. 4 "Employees" at Paragon-Institute. They are from : Pakistan, Nigeria, India and Nepal. ( That sounds so fucking scam lol ) .
    https://www.linkedin.com/company/paragon-institute

PS2: Anyway , as I said , few kids crying for their game. So yeah! There is no "company trying to buy assets of a failed game". 

BruceYeeFrodoFragins

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

IceAge said:
    IceAge said:
    Vrika said:
    SBFord said:

What company ?!
    And you call that a "company"? Really ? Wow! Also , you forgot to add "educational" , which makes it even less of a "company". 

Now, tell me again, whats so "educational" in buying a failed game and wanting to re-launch it with no fucking idea about the market , and many , many other factors? 

If it's .."educational", that means they are learning. So go ahead and "donate" as much money as you want for them to "learn" that this is NOT the way to get into this business ( or other business ). 

The true story is that there is this kid ( or kids ) , who played the game , and now they feel sad about the closer of their beloved game , and some days ago , they meet at McDonalds, and come up with this "Marvel" idea.

PS: Based on linkedIn , there are .. 4 "Employees" at Paragon-Institute. They are from : Pakistan, Nigeria, India and Nepal. ( That sounds so fucking scam lol ) .

PS2: Anyway , as I said , few kids crying for their game. So yeah! There is no "company trying to buy assets of a failed game". 

Just because you don't like that they say they are an organization and purportedly have a 501c3 doesn't mean they aren't something.  One guy with a DBA can be a company.  We've seen games released by single people, one person doing all the work, so lets not pretend like 4 employees suddenly can't be considered a "company" any more than reporting what they are doing is any less of "news".

It is what it is whether people like it or not.  Nobody is telling you to back it. Nobody is agreeing that this is a good idea.  It just is.  
    [Deleted User]FrodoFragins

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    it would cost millions to rewrite all of the code to not use client/server interactions.  and frankly, the content was barely worth doing with other players.  it would be terribly boring solo
    It would cost nothing to set up a local server and client.

Like running your own minecraft server and connecting to it on your local machine.

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• TanlielTanliel Member UncommonPosts: 40
    Just a little bit of investigation shows a lot of VERY SHADY shenanigans with this. That $305 they've already got is too much. It's all fake just to score some easy cash that they don't have to pay back.
    IceAge said:
    IceAge said:
    Vrika said:
    SBFord said:

What company ?!

Just because you don't like that they say they are an organization and purportedly have a 501c3 doesn't mean they aren't something.  One guy with a DBA can be a company.  We've seen games released by single people, one person doing all the work, so lets not pretend like 4 employees suddenly can't be considered a "company" any more than reporting what they are doing is any less of "news".

It is what it is whether people like it or not.  Nobody is telling you to back it. Nobody is agreeing that this is a good idea.  It just is.  
    Give me a break.  Just because they paid a fee and filled out some forms, that in no way doesn't mean their plan is completely ass backwards.

1) They have nobody that worked on the game and can estimate true costs while also reducing the ramp up speed of developing.
    2) They have no contacts at disney to ease licensing issues or even know if it's possible.  Maybe the license was pulled because they failed a financial payment requirement or milestone.
    3) They have no one that lends credibility to their cause
    4) They are taking your money even if they fail to reach their financial goals!
    5) They have zero track record

It's either a massive scam, a completely naive pitch or both.  There is zero chance they can accomplish what they plan.
    MendelIceAge
    edited February 2018
    Nilden said:
    It would cost nothing to set up a local server and client.

Like running your own minecraft server and connecting to it on your local machine.
    oh really?  I don't think you realize what you are talking about.

MMO servers are far more complex beasts.  that's all I'll say
    edited February 2018
    ugh why can't i delete posts
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    edited February 2018
    Torval said:
    IceAge said:
    IceAge said:
    Vrika said:
    SBFord said:

What company ?!

Just think, if the people who love to censor information that makes them uncomfortable had their way we might not be discussing this now. Some people might have found this and thought it a great idea not realizing how unrealistic it is. The discussion has brought up some great points and injected some reality into the fallacy that gamers can do anything with a few bucks and the will to do so.
    Just think how many people have read the MMORPG.com article and have been fooled into buying from Indiegogo because a professional writer from MMORPG.com introduced this product to them.

If MMORPG.com had included some kind of warning that the project is dubious my reaction would have been different, but SBFord did not, and she has already informed that it's intentional and the information will not be included even when it's know:
      https://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/comment/6484122/#Comment_6484122

I don't know how you can think that it's okay for MMORPG.com to mention nothing of huge negatives like this when they introduce a new project that's being sold to us. I think it's not okay. We should know, and if they introduce the product to us they should tell the negatives too.

EDIT: Thinking it a bit further, I must apologize how I wrote my firsts posts. My intention wasn't that MMORPG.com should write nothing about project like this. I'd actually want them to tell the negatives in addition to the positives when a project is as shady as this one is.

But since they had previously informed me that negatives known by MMORPG.com will not be included in an article like this I tried a different approach, and it failed /EDIT

IceAge said:
    IceAge said:
    Vrika said:
    SBFord said:

What company ?!

Give me a break.  Just because they paid a fee and filled out some forms, that in no way doesn't mean their plan is completely ass backwards.

1) They have nobody that worked on the game and can estimate true costs while also reducing the ramp up speed of developing.
    2) They have no contacts at disney to ease licensing issues or even know if it's possible.  Maybe the license was pulled because they failed a financial payment requirement or milestone.
    3) They have no one that lends credibility to their cause
    4) They are taking your money even if they fail to reach their financial goals!
    5) They have zero track record

It's either a massive scam, a completely naive pitch or both.  There is zero chance they can accomplish what they plan.
    1. How did anything you just said change what I said? 

2. If they are a 501c3 it's a little more involved than just filling out a form, but even still an organization or a company is such by form and function, not by competency.

3. It's not up to MMORPG.COM to make your decisions for you. They just report the news, or give you reviews and suggestions on what you might like.  The grandstanding from some people on MMORPG "endorsing" this is extremely misplaced and somewhat childish (not stating you specifically).  

If they report tomorrow that every purchase of Hello Kitty Mobile comes with a free mandatory punch to the groin, it doesn't somehow mean that they're telling you to buy it, they are just telling you it exists. 

IceAge said:
    IceAge said:
    Vrika said:
    SBFord said:

What company ?!

Wow, the naivety in you is very high. They aren't ..something, and that's period. What do they have ? A 501c3 ? Is that saying a lot about some kids which want to get a very big Game IP ? We have seen GAMES released by single people , you said it right. In this case however, we do not see that. We see a bunch of kids who want to buy an already made GAME, and which they think, they can handle it ( which they can't ).

But, again, they are NOT Employees. Based on 2 of them (pictures related), they barely have 18 years. They are voluntary or something. And stop calling them ..company for fuck sake. They are an "educational" .. think. 

And to keep the .. rant , I also blame Suzi ( mmorpg.com ) for posting this shit and NOT doing a bit of research about who's behind the project. I don't buy the.. "News is News". I do understand that this site needs to generate traffic ( revenue ) , but do keep in mind that "projects" might "pop-up" from scammers and we don't really want "News" about a .. "project" like this. Not saying this right here is a scam, but neither credible is not. 

So do a bit of research before posting "News" like this. They ( the kids ) already generated a HUGE traffic because of this 'News'. I am FOR things which helps kids follow whatever they like to do , but those one , they come with nothing. Do they even know how to write a piece of code ? Let me guess, they will hire coders with the money right? ......

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?

IceAge said:
    IceAge said:
    IceAge said:
    Vrika said:
    SBFord said:

What company ?!

Wow, the naivety in you is very high. They aren't ..something, and that's period. What do they have ? A 501c3 ? Is that saying a lot about some kids which want to get a very big Game IP ? We have seen GAMES released by single people , you said it right. In this case however, we do not see that. We see a bunch of kids who want to buy an already made GAME, and which they think, they can handle it ( which they can't ).

But, again, they are NOT Employees. Based on 2 of them (pictures related), they barely have 18 years. They are voluntary or something. And stop calling them ..company for fuck sake. They are an "educational" .. think. 

And to keep the .. rant , I also blame Suzi ( mmorpg.com ) for posting this shit and NOT doing a bit of research about who's behind the project. I don't buy the.. "News is News". I do understand that this site needs to generate traffic ( revenue ) , but do keep in mind that "projects" might "pop-up" from scammers and we don't really want "News" about a .. "project" like this. Not saying this right here is a scam, but neither credible is not. 

So do a bit of research before posting "News" like this. They ( the kids ) already generated a HUGE traffic because of this 'News'. I am FOR things which helps kids follow whatever they like to do , but those one , they come with nothing. Do they even know how to write a piece of code ? Let me guess, they will hire coders with the money right? ......
    An organization is still an organization even if you don't like it. Just because you want to get up on some pedestal and rail against a NEWS STORY, doesn't make you any more right than them (Paragon Institute), and them any less wrong than you. Sorry.
    Mendel[Deleted User]

IceAge said:
    IceAge said:
    IceAge said:
    Vrika said:
    SBFord said:

What company ?!

An organization is still an organization even if you don't like it. Just because you want to get up on some pedestal and rail against a NEWS STORY, doesn't make you any more right than them (Paragon Institute), and them any less wrong than you. Sorry.
    I will say it again : Is because of mentality like yours, we get shits like this. Meaning "KS Projects" , P2W games, etc. Because people , who support this "NEWS" , are people who also support ANY kind of "whateversoundsgoodonpaper". 

So keep supporting this kind of "projects". If this kids want to do some, first they need to EARN it. They earned shit. They want money first with NO implications and knowledge from them. Write a "good story" and wait for the "believers" to pump cash.

It blows my mind to meet people who support things like this, which they don't even know if this kids know how the manage a server, let alone code something. 

Naivety at his best.