Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

'Paragon Institute' Wants to Raise Funds to Buy Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes Omega - MMORPG.com

Comments

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    edited February 2018
    For those arguing on the validity of a news story, let me remind you of the definition of "news":

noun, ( usually used with a singular verb)
    1. a report of a recent event; intelligence; information:
    His family has had no news of his whereabouts for months.
    2.The presentation of a report on recent or new events in a newspaper or other periodical or on radio or television.
    3. such reports taken collectively; information reported: There's good news tonight.

Let me point out the salient phrases: INFORMATION, THE PRESENTATION OF A REPORT ON RECENT OR NEW EVENTS.

This is why the story is being laid out. The charge of "fake news" is just a smokescreen to stop people from objectively determining the validity of the information presented and their personal reaction to it. The tactic is the new "thing" these days and is only used by those who want to see information flow in only one pre-determined direction.

The news item is not an endorsement. It is not an opinion. It is a fact about something that has happened with regard to a game that many people on this site have loved and miss since it shut down.

If anyone reading this is not doing their own due diligence when visiting the IndieGoGo page, then then that is on them, not on MMORPG.com. Once again I will reiterate that I have a lot more faith in the intelligence of this community to figure out what is legit and what is a scam. Everyone must decide for themselves.

Information is power. Critical thinking is key. Learn about all sides through research and make a decision based on all the facts.
    maskedweaselgervaise1infomatzTokkensschruppMendelManWithNoTanRobbgobbIselin

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• BananableBananable Member UncommonPosts: 194
    its not a tease, its a taunt. :/
  • zaberfangxzaberfangx Member UncommonPosts: 1,796
    edited February 2018
    With Disney to much control over the IP to much risk of getting pulled again if they ever pulled it off. I won't play it again to much waste time risk.
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited February 2018
    This has as much of a chance at success as EA not incorporating loot boxes into Anthem (a.k.a. 0).
  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    You have to be a special kind of incompetent to screw up with the Marvel IP. The movies are nailing it out of the park and it's basically a license to print money and these clowns sunk that ship. Amazing really.

As far as buying it wouldn't they have to talk to the collectors who swam in like sharks picking off what was left after Gazillion going belly up?

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    Nilden said:
    You have to be a special kind of incompetent to screw up with the Marvel IP. The movies are nailing it out of the park and it's basically a license to print money and these clowns sunk that ship. Amazing really.

As far as buying it wouldn't they have to talk to the collectors who swam in like sharks picking off what was left after Gazillion going belly up?
    You say that, but Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, and Game of Thrones all have miserable track records with video games despite being huge IPs. 
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    Aeander said:
    Nilden said:

You say that, but Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, and Game of Thrones all have miserable track records with video games despite being huge IPs. 
    Developers try to appeal to fans of the IP; most who don't care for games instead of gamers themselves. They try too hard to adhere set in stone lore instead of creating something new and exciting. If they do it's so off base with and unfamiliar it makes no sense. There is a balance, not one studio has found it yet. SOE almost found it with SWG, they just needed to add good story, but they weren't good enough at it.
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• AlverantAlverant Member RarePosts: 1,320
    I wish them the best, if they're sincere in their goals and not trying to milk a dead game for sympathy dollars.
    Blaze_Rocker
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    The more I read this campaign the more I feel it may not be within the Indiegogo guidelines. They cannot offer services/perks for something that is based on the idea that they may or may not obtain this license. Their promises are flimsy at best since there is no actual product to fall back on. It's just "oh we might make a game instead if you know anyone who can help us". It's pretty much a scam and I expect it will be reported and removed soon.
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    Why? The game was bad from it's core up. It would take forever to fix it.

Also Disney could sell the game minus the IP so they would have to go in and change anything related to marvel but they would have a complete game.
  • AlumicardAlumicard Member UncommonPosts: 388
    Most shocking part: MH is down.
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    SBFord said:
    For those arguing on the validity of a news story, let me remind you of the definition of "news":

2.The presentation of a report on recent or new events in a newspaper or other periodical or on radio or television.
    3. such reports taken collectively; information reported: There's good news tonight.

Let me point out the salient phrases: INFORMATION, THE PRESENTATION OF A REPORT ON RECENT OR NEW EVENTS.

This is why the story is being laid out. The charge of "fake news" is just a smokescreen to stop people from objectively determining the validity of the information presented and their personal reaction to it. The tactic is the new "thing" these days and is only used by those who want to see information flow in only one pre-determined direction.

The news item is not an endorsement. It is not an opinion. It is a fact about something that has happened with regard to a game that many people on this site have loved and miss since it shut down.

If anyone reading this is not doing their own due diligence when visiting the IndieGoGo page, then then that is on them, not on MMORPG.com. Once again I will reiterate that I have a lot more faith in the intelligence of this community to figure out what is legit and what is a scam. Everyone must decide for themselves.

Information is power. Critical thinking is key. Learn about all sides through research and make a decision based on all the facts.
    A journalist introducing a product should try to be careful that she doesn't introduce a scam as a product.
    IceAgeBlaze_Rocker

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited February 2018
    If the game gets revived it is highly likely we would have to purchase all heroes again (for the third time to some people)... why even bother. Let it rest in peace. Too risky to see it die a second time after repurchasing the same things over and over.

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,178
    Vrika said:
    SBFord said:

A journalist introducing a product should try to be careful that she doesn't introduce a scam as a product.
    Luckily it's not introducing a product, it's a story about a company trying to buy assets of a failed game.
    infomatz[Deleted User]SBFordManWithNoTan

• CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,868
    Not gonna happen. This is Disney we are talking about. 450K to Disney is like visiting a gumball machine to the average human.
    Blaze_Rocker
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    edited February 2018
    If anyone buys it, it will be Disney for pennies on the dollar. They will then sell it to an approved developer they trust. I think the likelihood of that is minute. It sounds like it's a very kludged modification of a dated UE3 engine. That's not a recipe for expansion into bigger and better things.
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903

necrolock said:

Of course the goal is "Flexible" so they will recieve any money donated even if the goal is not close to be reached...

I hope donators realize that
    [Deleted User]Blaze_Rocker
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    IceAge said:
    Way to go mmorpg.com . Making "News" , some teens who just want to get some cash ( as I am pretty sure they know 100% that they can't buy the IP ) , is like you are encouraging this shit.

"That means we can still save the game and, if necessary, launch a re-branded successor with your support! Based on social media, it’s clear that Gazillion didn’t listen to the user community; this is our chance to start with a great foundation and turn this into the game we want to play again. You get to be the hero on this quest. Will you step up to the challenge?" - Really?! This sounds much like "lord british" and SC maker advertising.

Delete this "News"!
    I bet you were one those lads that kept shooting the messengers in your previous life.

;)
    maskedweaselinfomatzManWithNoTan
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • akiira69akiira69 Member UncommonPosts: 615
    I wonder how many people realize that Champions Online by Cryptic Studios was supposed to be Marvel Universe Online. Microsoft got into a pissing fight with Marvel which caused them to pull out of the MMORPG. Because of that Cryptic had to erase every single thing dealing with the Marvel Universe. If Paragon wishes to to bring back MHO they will need to do the same thing. Disney owns Marvel so they wont be able to use anything related to Marvel. My opinion on this is just let it go. I loved Marvel Heroes Online but at the end of the day ou just need to realize that its time to move on.
    Blaze_Rocker

"Possibly we humans can exist without actually having to fight. But many of us have chosen to fight. For what reason? To protect something? Protect what? Ourselves? The future? If we kill people to protect ourselves and this future, then what sort of future is it, and what will we have become? There is no future for those who have died. And what of those who did the killing? Is happiness to be found in a future that is grasped with blood stained hands? Is that the truth?"

• GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308
    edited February 2018
    So they're just going to create a studio to rebuild games with removed copyright issues? I wouldn't give them a dime.
    Blaze_Rocker
  • pureremedypureremedy Member UncommonPosts: 42
    I have mix feelings about this but in reality if Disney wanted to revive this game they can easily do it without our help and if they do it ill support it 100%
    SBFord
  • IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,120
    Vrika said:
    SBFord said:

Luckily it's not introducing a product, it's a story about a company trying to buy assets of a failed game.
    What company ?!
    Blaze_Rocker

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

• XarkoXarko Member EpicPosts: 1,180
    I doubt this is going to happen, but I like the idea. The game with very weak start that got itself together to be one of the best ARPGs, then its quick decline and tragic end.. there certainly is a lot an aspiring game developer can learn from Marvel Heroes without even buying it.
  • WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,464
    Who's even behind this campaign? I didn't see any staff or team members listed anywhere...
    --------------------------------------------
  • strangesidestrangeside Member UncommonPosts: 19
    I hope this works, I loved MH and if I'm going to be honest; even if they strip all Marvel references I would still play it. It being a Marvel game wasn't the reason why I played it, the variety in character arche-types is what kept me playing.