Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Number 1 goal; what it might mean.

13»

Comments

• some-clueless-guysome-clueless-guy Member UncommonPosts: 216
    Kyleran said:
    meddyck said:
    Torval said:
    A BattleRoyale game is launching on SpatialOS soon that touts 400+ player battles that look good. I think that is going to put a bit of pressure on CSE to get their engine done and out there for people to see, and if not it should.
    I don't see why that would put any pressure on CSE. Battleroyale is really a completely different genre than CU's RvR. Merely having several hundred players involved in a battle doesn't make a game a direct competitor to CU.
    Well the competitor's BR games is supposed to be a "MMO" which this site misquoted and called it a MMORPG because as always they are unable to tell the difference.

If it really turns out to be more of a reincarnation of Planetside then it could be an able competitor. 

I agree, except we don't know what kind of game that will be. AFAIK it might be a third person shooter (a reasonable assumption given how fashionable the genre seems to be lately). If it succeeds it is likely to put the nail on PS2's coffin.

Cu's population might register a hit in the sense that the players who are only interested in big scale conflict might look for something more focused on that part only.
    CU's charm for me is the realm pride part, big battles are just a means to an end. It remains to see how many of CU's backers are like me and how many are instead only interested in the large scale aspect of the game.
  • TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 19,877
    Kyleran said:
    meddyck said:
    Torval said:
    A BattleRoyale game is launching on SpatialOS soon that touts 400+ player battles that look good. I think that is going to put a bit of pressure on CSE to get their engine done and out there for people to see, and if not it should.
    I don't see why that would put any pressure on CSE. Battleroyale is really a completely different genre than CU's RvR. Merely having several hundred players involved in a battle doesn't make a game a direct competitor to CU.
    Well the competitor's BR games is supposed to be a "MMO" which this site misquoted and called it a MMORPG because as always they are unable to tell the difference.

If it really turns out to be more of a reincarnation of Planetside then it could be an able competitor. 

lol what an obtuse comment to make.
    Fedora - A modern, free, and open source Operating System. https://getfedora.org/

traveller, interloper, anomaly, iteration

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 34,556
    Torval said:
    Kyleran said:
    meddyck said:
    Torval said:

lol what an obtuse comment to make.
    LOL, not quite as obtuse as your reply, what are you getting on about?
    YashaX

"See normal people, I'm not one of them" | G-Easy & Big Sean

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing POE at the moment.

Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 2,415
    Kyleran said:
    meddyck said:
    Torval said:

Cu's population might register a hit in the sense that the players who are only interested in big scale conflict might look for something more focused on that part only.
    CU's charm for me is the realm pride part, big battles are just a means to an end. It remains to see how many of CU's backers are like me and how many are instead only interested in the large scale aspect of the game.
    Yeah, I imagine lots of the people who backed or are keen to play CU are only interested in the number of players that could be fighting at anyone time.

They probably have little interest in RvR, third person perspective, the medieval/fantasy setting, realm pride, or any of the other gameplay elements set out in the 15-plus pages of foundational principles MJ wrote http://camelotunchained.com/v3/category/foundationalprinciple/.

I can see them all jumping ship to a multiplayer survival shooter if that game just happens to also support large pvp battles.
  • RealizerRealizer Member RarePosts: 724
    edited January 2018
    Kyleran said:
    meddyck said:
    Torval said:

I agree, except we don't know what kind of game that will be. AFAIK it might be a third person shooter (a reasonable assumption given how fashionable the genre seems to be lately). If it succeeds it is likely to put the nail on PS2's coffin.

I don't think a BR game can really compare to RvR with buildable and destroyable territory.  Even if it is more like Planetside I don't think it would be similar enough to take players away from an RvR environment if that's what they are looking for. 

There won't only be constant 1k player battles, that will be more of a prime time type of thing. The rest of the time will be guild vs guild and smaller more competitive groups roaming around. I'm sure there will be many solo players as well, and if it's anything like DAoC they will sort of make their own solo area where groups are opposed by the collective. The interesting thing will be veil storms that will apparently make this more difficult. 

Not to mention crafting and trading of goods, and other interesting roles like scouting classes for reconnaissance.  There will be a form of pve when The Depths releases some time after launch.  I'm sure there will also be players only interested in building and designing structures. They are offering more than enough for a large scale game. 

There are endless games to choose from if you want to pve grind all day.
    YashaXtweedledumb99
  • tweedledumb99tweedledumb99 Member UncommonPosts: 257
    edited January 2018
    Kyleran said:

3) @collekt said I was the only person who did not like DAOC's RVR, a bit of hyperbole I think. It actually was fun when the game first came out, as players fought for keeps in order to get access to Darkness Falls.  When TOA launched the focus moved off of accessing DF, everyone wanted to do the raids in the new expansion, which ultimately killed the game off IMO, and definitely killed any interest I had in the blue servers RVR.

I think pretty much everyone agrees TOA killed the game.
    I didn't like ToA, but many people did.

Tamanous said:
    /snip
    The game is built heavily around realm pride. You only advance your character's growth by contributing to your realm's advancement ... not by grinding quests, enemies or mobs. This doesn't even have to include combat. So a solo player, a warband, an Order or a formed Battlegroup can decide to go do anything they want at the scale they are able to manage anywhere in the world and as long as it helps their realm become more powerful each player gains experience, perks and even bonus gear and wealth from their realm's King.

/snip

(my stuff follows:) Just responding to last sentence, I don't believe the game master/server/realm King will be giving out bonus gear (stuff you equip on your character), at least not anything beyond basic gear - this is because they want the economy to function based on what players take from the ground, make into stuff, and trade with each other. Almost exclusively AFAIK.
    edited January 2018
    And what happens to this game if 1000 people turn into 30?
    To everyone responding about how 1000+ battles isn't interesting, etc., I'd like you to focus on a different point - the idea with supporting 1000+ at playable framerates is less that "1000+ battles are so cool!" and more that this is a good idea so that no battle turns into a lagfest, even for people with middle of road computer specs.

Edit: and if that's the case, then there can actually be battles of almost any size without having to throw tactics out the door because of the choppiness.

YashaXmeddyckJamesGoblin
    Kyleran said:
    meddyck said:
    Torval said:

I don't think I've met many people who will play a game because of large scale battles in and of themselves, at least not MMORPG players.

Think of three realms battling over a treasure so powerful that it significantly benefits the entire realm that took it (like relics in DAoC): If the engine can't support battles with more than 100* people without slowing to a crawl, then A) there's more motivation for realms to "game" the tech failings (think of lag-casting in DAoC) in bigger battles to cheese-win the powerful-treasure and B) the highest stakes moments of the game will also be some of the most frustrating, confusing, quit-point-y moments when everyone and their uncle rushes to capture the treasure.

It's not that big battles are great by themselves, or that they'll happen all the time - it's that they allow for the larger scale that is woven throughout the design of this game. They're thinking about the scale, to the extent that (I'm like 90% certain) they're planning to make supply-lines and logistics a significant part of the game, and make resources worth fighting over, and have item decay and limited fast-travel, so big battles will be big investments for the groups involved.

*(arbitrary number chosen to make the point) 
    YashaXJamesGoblin
  • TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 2,997

Tamanous said:
    /snip
    The game is built heavily around realm pride. You only advance your character's growth by contributing to your realm's advancement ... not by grinding quests, enemies or mobs. This doesn't even have to include combat. So a solo player, a warband, an Order or a formed Battlegroup can decide to go do anything they want at the scale they are able to manage anywhere in the world and as long as it helps their realm become more powerful each player gains experience, perks and even bonus gear and wealth from their realm's King.

/snip

(my stuff follows:) Just responding to last sentence, I don't believe the game master/server/realm King will be giving out bonus gear (stuff you equip on your character), at least not anything beyond basic gear - this is because they want the economy to function based on what players take from the ground, make into stuff, and trade with each other. Almost exclusively AFAIK.
    Nothing is written in stone yet. I relay what is actually mentioned by Mark. The realm King may be used as a mechanic to balance against being beaten back badly to a single realm starting land. The King may issue assistance from npcs through gear in order to help push back. How this is implemented exactly is yet to be determined. It may be more along the lines of raw materials but also could include actual gear or immediate assistance but few and far between.
    JamesGoblinKyleran

You stay sassy!

Tamanous said:

Tamanous said:
    /snip

/snip

Nothing is written in stone yet. I relay what is actually mentioned by Mark. The realm King may be used as a mechanic to balance against being beaten back badly to a single realm starting land. The King may issue assistance from npcs through gear in order to help push back. How this is implemented exactly is yet to be determined. It may be more along the lines of raw materials but also could include actual gear or immediate assistance but few and far between.
    Right, but the bonus gear is given to players by the king because their realm is underpowered, not just because they went out and fought for the realm.